HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 4-1

Old
01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
and now we wait to bask in the afterglow of the nucks horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible loss.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Njoy Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithxan View Post
I don't get this community sometimes. HF Oil throws guys under the bus over simple mistakes. Where is the loyalty? We are tired of losing year after year, but there is a difference between critical thinking and *rablerable* grab the pitchforks. Sack up, haters.

That being said, the only player I was frustrated with tonight was Potter. Hemsky had a few dumb plays , but certainly didn't SUCK. No, dont trade him. Hemmer is good.

Positives:

-The Avs commentators. They called it well, seemed quite unbiased. They absolutly love H,RNH,E,Y,and Sh. As one mod commented, "they are gushing over Eberle." Not like the homers in Vancouver. But hey, I'm biased.

-Kid line was fantastic. Halls speed is unbelievable! Eberle is turning into a phenom. RNH was fine tonight. Settle down HF Oil.

-Yak got the empty netter. Nice. Made some silly mistakes but hes a rookie. Hope he isnt hurt. Love this kid.

-Doobie was solid. The goal he let in was soft, but its not like he was beaten from 20ft out. It was a bit of a scramble in front of the net and it squeaked past him. That being said, he had 37 shots tonight. Solid.

-Hartski was fantastic! Tough to beat off the puck!

-MPS was good too. Didnt play a ton, but used his speed and had some chances.

-Horc was good too. So was SMitty. I dont understand the hate he was getting on the boards during gametime. I didnt see him mess anything up TOO BAD. Settle down, boys. Smitts a beut.

-Question mark over WHitney remains. Lets hope he turns it arouns.

-Petrell with a stupid, I mean stoopid penalty.
Good post. To be fair Petrell realized a second to late.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I would add Statsny to the list of MIA... I think they had Yan playing instead of Paul today ...
Basically our "1st line" of last year is not on the team,

ROR: Prefers Russian Vodka, until an incident at a Russian night club where he was caught spying for the Canadian government.

Downie: Torn ACL

Landeskog: Day by day bases with head and neck (nothing about severity).

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
It was a nice pick, don't get me wrong, but imo it's incorrect to say he got "robbed". He came around, had an open net (looked like 2 sticks in the way), he swung, and he missed.

Hemsky had an ok game but I wasn't overly impressed.
He lost his wallet on that one. Regardless of the appropriate expression I would agree that he wasn't very impressive tonight. His passing was off and his transition game seemed hesitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I would add Statsny to the list of MIA... I think they had Yan playing instead of Paul today ...
Good point. He was literally non-existent tonight. A shadow of his over-achieving former self. Not sure what the deal is there. Hasn't been the same player since the big media hoopla with him and his dad.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

ROR: Prefers Russian Vodka, until an incident at a Russian night club where he was caught spying for the Canadian government.

Hopefully you carry that third period play into Calgary!

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

That turnover ratio and the shots allowed in the third period... gross.

Krueger sat Yakupov down in the 3rd but that line needs to be shaken up. It's bleeding chances left and right.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
So what was Potter doing out there with the 1st unit on that last PP? Smells like showcasing.
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

Suspect he'll be in Ottawa in a few weeks.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Can you guys stop complaining about Sam Gagner now please? He's been playing very good all year. He played very well at both ends of the ice all night.
Yup. His wingers are a mess though. One has an excuse: rookie. I'm not sure what Hemsky's deal is.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:25 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hey, leading the NW division at the end of January. Pretty good.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Everybody happy !!!

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:27 AM
HopelessOilFan

- Hall gagner and eberle all had absolutely fantastic games.

- Nuge is still fighting it a bit

- hemsky got that goal by crashing the crease which was nice to see, but its hard to watch him nowadays. Every play is an attempted deke where he loses the puck or a whiffed shot

-Yak had some trouble this game, either held it too long, or was afraid to touch the puck for more than a second. Not worried though, its part of being a rookie. It was also kind of worrisome to see how often he was open on the PP and during es breakouts, and the player making the pass would completely ignore yak. Nice of the coach to put him out at the end after being benched to score the EN goal.

Yak gagner hemsky really isn't working though. Gagner is playing great, but the other two just don't seem to be able to do much. You can't really break up the top line after a game like that that though.

-Smyth is becoming incredibly painful to watch, slow as molasses, can't pass, can't shoot, and can't even win board battles anymore, he just falls over. If it weren't for his pk abilities i don't know where he would even fit. Harski is showing he's a better option in front of the net already.

-Horcoff had a decent game, good on the dot, good on the pk, and good in all three zones, even got a goal.

-Harski had a great game, absolute bull. This is the hartikainen i was watching in the AHL, not taking **** from anyone, and winning board battles against 2 or 3 guys at a time. He has a bright future.

-Paajarvi had a hell of a game, him and hartikainen together make a great pair on the cycle, and he almost scored on a great deflection play that he also set up by taking a big hit.

-Belanger looked good as the defensive stabilizer between paajarvi and hartikainen, and was also doing well on the dot. Great game from that whole line.

-Petrell pretty much did what you expect, finish a few checks, kill penalties and not be a defensive reliability. I'd still like to see him get more physically involved.

-Petry. I'm not sure what was up with him tonight, but i saw him give up on the play a ton of times, and he was a turn over machine, usually in a very dangerous spot. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but we need him to be the reliable top 4 dman we know he can be night in and night out.

-Smid wasn't very noticeable, not throwing his weight around as much as i'd like, but no major screw ups i could see. Quiet but good night from him.

-Schultz and schultz are a weird combo for me.. I just feel like they don't compliment eachother very well. Justin is playing the game he needs to, but it seems to cause nick to panic at times, which leads to bad coverage in the D zone, and quick passes without thought that are turned over or intercepted. I'd like to see nick with smid and petry with jeff i think.

Whitney potter - Not a fan at all. Whitney had 1 good play, but other than that, they were a defensive disaster. Missed coverage all over the place, whitneys passes were getting picked off left and right, he was holding it way too long on the pp allowing them to get into place to defend... it was just ugly. I'm scared for whitney, i was really hoping he'd return to form.

Dubnyk - Solid result, shaky performance (Until the end). He seemed shaky through the first two periods but still kept us in it which is what mattered, but then during the third he absolutely slammed the door on the avs, with easily 4 or 5 highlight reel saves in under 10 minutes. Hopefully he can keep this up.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

Suspect he'll be in Ottawa in a few weeks.
For who? A draft pick?

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
It was a nice pick, don't get me wrong, but imo it's incorrect to say he got "robbed". He came around, had an open net (looked like 2 sticks in the way), he swung, and he missed.

Hemsky had an ok game but I wasn't overly impressed.
They just showed the replay on Sportsnet zoomed in, Duchene got his stick to the puck before Hemsky did.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Slippery Snake

Now that is how you ref a game!

The Slippery Snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:28 AM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Hey, leading the NW division at the end of January. Pretty good.
It's kinda hilarious considering they can't score 5 on 5, and today was the first time they scored first in a game, and also the first time they had the lead. They're also the only team in the NW at the moment with a + in the GF/GA differential.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:29 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital J View Post
Now that is how you ref a game!
Third was pretty bad. Whistles went away until Johnson played lumberjack on Potter's ankle.

Can't believe Smid didn't get a boarding call.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:30 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
- Hall gagner and eberle all had absolutely fantastic games.

- Nuge is still fighting it a bit

- hemsky got that goal by crashing the crease which was nice to see, but its hard to watch him nowadays. Every play is an attempted deke where he loses the puck or a whiffed shot

-Yak had some trouble this game, either held it too long, or was afraid to touch the puck for more than a second. Not worried though, its part of being a rookie. It was also kind of worrisome to see how often he was open on the PP and during es breakouts, and the player making the pass would completely ignore yak. Nice of the coach to put him out at the end after being benched to score the EN goal.

Yak gagner hemsky really isn't working though. Gagner is playing great, but the other two just don't seem to be able to do much. You can't really break up the top line after a game like that that though.

-Smyth is becoming incredibly painful to watch, slow as molasses, can't pass, can't shoot, and can't even win board battles anymore, he just falls over. If it weren't for his pk abilities i don't know where he would even fit. Harski is showing he's a better option in front of the net already.

-Horcoff had a decent game, good on the dot, good on the pk, and good in all three zones, even got a goal.

-Harski had a great game, absolute bull. This is the hartikainen i was watching in the AHL, not taking **** from anyone, and winning board battles against 2 or 3 guys at a time. He has a bright future.

-Paajarvi had a hell of a game, him and hartikainen together make a great pair on the cycle, and he almost scored on a great deflection play that he also set up by taking a big hit.

-Belanger looked good as the defensive stabilizer between paajarvi and hartikainen, and was also doing well on the dot. Great game from that whole line.

-Petrell pretty much did what you expect, finish a few checks, kill penalties and not be a defensive reliability. I'd still like to see him get more physically involved.

-Petry. I'm not sure what was up with him tonight, but i saw him give up on the play a ton of times, and he was a turn over machine, usually in a very dangerous spot. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but we need him to be the reliable top 4 dman we know he can be night in and night out.

-Smid wasn't very noticeable, not throwing his weight around as much as i'd like, but no major screw ups i could see. Quiet but good night from him.

-Schultz and schultz are a weird combo for me.. I just feel like they don't compliment eachother very well. Justin is playing the game he needs to, but it seems to cause nick to panic at times, which leads to bad coverage in the D zone, and quick passes without thought that are turned over or intercepted. I'd like to see nick with smid and petry with jeff i think.

Whitney potter - Not a fan at all. Whitney had 1 good play, but other than that, they were a defensive disaster. Missed coverage all over the place, whitneys passes were getting picked off left and right, he was holding it way too long on the pp allowing them to get into place to defend... it was just ugly. I'm scared for whitney, i was really hoping he'd return to form.

Dubnyk - Solid result, shaky performance (Until the end). He seemed shaky through the first two periods but still kept us in it which is what mattered, but then during the third he absolutely slammed the door on the avs, with easily 4 or 5 highlight reel saves in under 10 minutes. Hopefully he can keep this up.
Tell that to Parenteau.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:31 AM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

whitney is so bad

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
It's kinda hilarious considering they can't score 5 on 5, and today was the first time they scored first in a game, and also the first time they had the lead. They're also the only team in the NW at the moment with a + in the GF/GA differential.
I hate to be a negative nancy but when your team is bucking all sorts of trends like the Oilers are it's usually a bad sign. Too anomalistic.

Old
xlnc66

So the PP is now at 35.7%, 2nd to SJ. PK is now at 85.2% which puts them in the top 10.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I hate to be a negative nancy but when your team is bucking all sorts of trends like the Oilers are it's usually a bad sign. Too anomalistic.
I don't really care how they do it as long as they win.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
What's with all the negativity for Hemsky? He had a pretty good game. Very reminiscent of old school Hemsky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Hemsky wasn't bad, Gagner was great, Yakupov struggled. As soon as they took him off that line in the third they started moving the puck in the right direction. But hey, Yakupov is raw, he's still extremely talented.
Hemsky's line at even strength was awful. It needs to be broken up. I'd try moving Paajarvi onto it so one of Yak or Hemsky can be moved to the third line. That will put Yakupov back on his normal side. They can be reunited on the PP.

As for "don't complain, we won".... remember the beginning of last year? We were winning games despite not playing well. It eventually caught up to us. We shouldn't put off fixing problems just because we're winning.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 AM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's not like they aren't generating chances 5 on 5. Nuge has had some good even strength chances almost every game, along with Eberle. Sooner or later they will start going in.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

From one fan base to another we can sympathize (with the injuries, anyways, not so much ROR). The Oilers have had an absolute horrible run of bad luck over the last few years, and we know it sucks not having your top guys in the lineup. Here's hoping they're back in soon.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Perfect_Drug

i like win

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote