HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #6: at Columbus, 1.28 (6:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
  #676
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Bergeron-lite. A great #2, borderline #1.

Oh, and if Roy wants 5-6 years, I really don't see why we shouldn't give it to him. If Faksa does turn out, trade Roy for a great return and let Faksa fill in , or just move Benn back to wing if all else fails. Too much depth at one position is never a bad problem to have. And really, the only place we look to be lacking in that going forward is defense. Wingers look deep enough going forward, centers shouldn't be an issue, (probably a bit early to consider either of these deep though) and we're already deep at goaltending.
He'll want a NTC, which could strap us should we want to trade him. But, if he is indeed part of the Stars' long-term plan, then 5 years is what we may have to give him.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:36 AM
  #677
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,465
vCash: 500
The only 1st I'm interested in is one in the top 6. To be honest, I'm not seeing what everyone else says about this being such a deep draft. The elite talent this year is better than most years, but after those first 6 (barring a surprise pick), there's a huge drop off IMO.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:04 AM
  #678
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Maybe I'm down on Roy but call me skeptical at this point. I don't want him on this team for 3-5 years if he can't stay healthy and doesn't really produce. Eakin may not be ready for it but at this point if things continue toward a firesale I'd rather move Roy and play Eakin @#2 because regardless this team isn't competing this year and unless drastic measures are taken with the defense next year is doomed too.
This is where I stand, though I think with a competent coach our defense can be acceptable, but still pretty crappy.
I don't know what people are seeing in Roy at this point. Can someone give me their positives on Roy, because I can find very few. Personally, I would have no problem letting him walk after this season. To give him a contract more than 3 years would be a huge mistake.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
  #679
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The only 1st I'm interested in is one in the top 6. To be honest, I'm not seeing what everyone else says about this being such a deep draft. The elite talent this year is better than most years, but after those first 6 (barring a surprise pick), there's a huge drop off IMO.
i think you could stretch that out to say theres an impressive top 8 in this draft. Theres probably a huge dropoff because the early talent is that good, not because the rest of the draft is weaker than a normal year.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
  #680
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
This is where I stand, though I think with a competent coach our defense can be acceptable, but still pretty crappy.
I don't know what people are seeing in Roy at this point. Can someone give me their positives on Roy, because I can find very few.
Good on face-offs, good skating speed, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck unlike Ribeiro.

Quote:
Personally, I would have no problem letting him walk after this season. To give him a contract more than 3 years would be a huge mistake.
I think it'd be a waste having acquired him only to let him walk, *unless*....we have an appropriate replacement for him. Safe to say, doing the above would be a major strike against GMJN.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:12 AM
  #681
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Good on face-offs, good skating speed, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck unlike Ribeiro.



I think it'd be a waste having acquired him only to let him walk, *unless*....we have an appropriate replacement for him. Safe to say, doing the above would be a major strike against GMJN.
I have no desire to let him walk but he'd be 2nd on my list to go behind Ryder to acquire a good prospect/pick at the TD. He's an asset, I just don't think he's one I want on this team long term. There's plenty of time to change my mind but the early impression isn't winning me over yet.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:17 AM
  #682
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I have no desire to let him walk but he'd be 2nd on my list to go behind Ryder to acquire a good prospect/pick at the TD. He's an asset, I just don't think he's one I want on this team long term. There's plenty of time to change my mind but the early impression isn't winning me over yet.
I thought letting him walk = letting him walk as a UFA for nothing. I am not against getting an asset for Ryder and/or Roy at the TD, if the price is right. Then again, the return for such impending UFAs has really never been historically that great. Kaberle, Campbell, et al. fetched a mix of mid-level prospect/bottom-six player + draft pick/s.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 AM
  #683
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,707
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm all for more draft picks and bottom 6 talent. And maybe AHL fodder since we'll need it next year.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:23 AM
  #684
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
i think you could stretch that out to say theres an impressive top 8 in this draft. Theres probably a huge dropoff because the early talent is that good, not because the rest of the draft is weaker than a normal year.
MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

Who else would you put in there? No one else is really on the same level, IMO. Nicushkin might've been if he weren't such a wildcard.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:34 AM
  #685
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

Who else would you put in there? No one else is really on the same level, IMO. Nicushkin might've been if he weren't such a wildcard.
I think you could say guys like Pulock and Ristolainan have more talent than typical guys who would go after 6th in the draft.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:34 AM
  #686
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I thought letting him walk = letting him walk as a UFA for nothing. I am not against getting an asset for Ryder and/or Roy at the TD, if the price is right. Then again, the return for such impending UFAs has really never been historically that great. Kaberle, Campbell, et al. fetched a mix of mid-level prospect/bottom-six player + draft pick/s.
Oh it did. I can't see Joe trading him at the deadline after just acquiring him. But yes, if Joe would trade him at the deadline, I'd be all for getting something back of course. I just hope he wants too much money or too long of a deal that way we are "forced" to let him walk. I know it's still early I just don't see anything I really like in what he brings and feel he will only regress with age.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
  #687
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Good on face-offs, good skating speed, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck unlike Ribeiro.
Face-offs, yes. Speed, slightly above average. Shooting, he can shoot as much as he wants, but his shot looks pretty weak to me (Wandellesque). None of this impresses me. To give him another contract more than 2 years seems silly to me.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
  #688
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Oh it did. I can't see Joe trading him at the deadline after just acquiring him. But yes, if Joe would trade him at the deadline, I'd be all for getting something back of course. I just hope he wants too much money or too long of a deal that way we are "forced" to let him walk. I know it's still early I just don't see anything I really like in what he brings and feel he will only regress with age.
Valid point. Then I'd have to assume JN signs him. As I said before, letting him walk for nothing would make JN extremely unpopular in Dallas, having given up a fan-favorite* in Ott to acquire him.

*I'll be the first to say that I never was a fan of Ott's nor understood the fanaticism regarding him.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:43 AM
  #689
Nyquist
Registered User
 
Nyquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Death for Seth!!!!!!!

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:43 AM
  #690
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: bay area
Country: United States
Posts: 2,797
vCash: 500
I blame LatvianTwist

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:47 AM
  #691
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,465
vCash: 500
stop following me

GMJN isn't gonna trade Roy for anything less valuable than Ott, but at the same time he can't just let him walk. Only option is to get him to re-sign.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
  #692
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Valid point. Then I'd have to assume JN signs him. As I said before, letting him walk for nothing would make JN extremely unpopular in Dallas, having given up a fan-favorite* in Ott to acquire him.

*I'll be the first to say that I never was a fan of Ott's nor understood the fanaticism regarding him.
Same here on regards to Ott. Just a dirty pos(I can finally say that now that he's not on our team), who only revved up other teams to beat our ass. I guess I just see as getting Ott and Pardy off our team as a plus, regardless if we don't keep anything in return.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:50 AM
  #693
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,465
vCash: 500
Why didn't we all feel this way about Ott when he was actually on our team?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
  #694
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

Who else would you put in there? No one else is really on the same level, IMO. Nicushkin might've been if he weren't such a wildcard.
Shinkaruk.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
  #695
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
stop following me

GMJN isn't gonna trade Roy for anything less valuable than Ott, but at the same time he can't just let him walk. Only option is to get him to re-sign.
What would you rather have, Roy signed for 5 years at lets say 3-4 mil a year(limited trade clause) or let him walk? Can you confidently say he will be producing in his 4-5 year, or are we going to have another Morrow/Robidas situation on our hand.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
  #696
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why didn't we all feel this way about Ott when he was actually on our team?
Oh I did, you never heard me praise, in any form, Steve Ott, but I'm not going to go all ScubaSteve on our players.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
  #697
Nyquist
Registered User
 
Nyquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why didn't we all feel this way about Ott when he was actually on our team?
Because I like you

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
  #698
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why didn't we all feel this way about Ott when he was actually on our team?
I actually like him more now that he's gone.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:58 AM
  #699
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
I actually like him more now that he's gone.
Agreed. Same with Ribs.

Not bad players at all, just not good fits anymore.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
  #700
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why didn't we all feel this way about Ott when he was actually on our team?
I can't speak for others, but I had begun to sour on him after he got his pretty lucrative extension and failed to build on two very good productive seasons in 2008-09 and 2009-10. If I had to guess, the salary bump was given for that very reason. He was an effective pest when he could agitate and throw people off their game (Joe Thornton during 2008 playoffs) and that effectiveness failed when he allowed himself-- post-extension-- to be agitated and take stupid penalties or fight scrubs like Darrell Powe and take himself off the ice for 5 minutes, especially when he was playing top-six minutes and expected to do more than just being #pesky.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.