HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #6: at Columbus, 1.28 (6:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Bergeron-lite. A great #2, borderline #1.

Oh, and if Roy wants 5-6 years, I really don't see why we shouldn't give it to him. If Faksa does turn out, trade Roy for a great return and let Faksa fill in , or just move Benn back to wing if all else fails. Too much depth at one position is never a bad problem to have. And really, the only place we look to be lacking in that going forward is defense. Wingers look deep enough going forward, centers shouldn't be an issue, (probably a bit early to consider either of these deep though) and we're already deep at goaltending.
He'll want a NTC, which could strap us should we want to trade him. But, if he is indeed part of the Stars' long-term plan, then 5 years is what we may have to give him.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:36 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

The only 1st I'm interested in is one in the top 6. To be honest, I'm not seeing what everyone else says about this being such a deep draft. The elite talent this year is better than most years, but after those first 6 (barring a surprise pick), there's a huge drop off IMO.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Maybe I'm down on Roy but call me skeptical at this point. I don't want him on this team for 3-5 years if he can't stay healthy and doesn't really produce. Eakin may not be ready for it but at this point if things continue toward a firesale I'd rather move Roy and play Eakin @#2 because regardless this team isn't competing this year and unless drastic measures are taken with the defense next year is doomed too.
This is where I stand, though I think with a competent coach our defense can be acceptable, but still pretty crappy.
I don't know what people are seeing in Roy at this point. Can someone give me their positives on Roy, because I can find very few. Personally, I would have no problem letting him walk after this season. To give him a contract more than 3 years would be a huge mistake.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
txomisc

Quote:
The only 1st I'm interested in is one in the top 6. To be honest, I'm not seeing what everyone else says about this being such a deep draft. The elite talent this year is better than most years, but after those first 6 (barring a surprise pick), there's a huge drop off IMO.
i think you could stretch that out to say theres an impressive top 8 in this draft. Theres probably a huge dropoff because the early talent is that good, not because the rest of the draft is weaker than a normal year.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
This is where I stand, though I think with a competent coach our defense can be acceptable, but still pretty crappy.
I don't know what people are seeing in Roy at this point. Can someone give me their positives on Roy, because I can find very few.
Good on face-offs, good skating speed, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck unlike Ribeiro.

Quote:
Personally, I would have no problem letting him walk after this season. To give him a contract more than 3 years would be a huge mistake.
I think it'd be a waste having acquired him only to let him walk, *unless*....we have an appropriate replacement for him. Safe to say, doing the above would be a major strike against GMJN.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Good on face-offs, good skating speed, and isn't afraid to shoot the puck unlike Ribeiro.

I think it'd be a waste having acquired him only to let him walk, *unless*....we have an appropriate replacement for him. Safe to say, doing the above would be a major strike against GMJN.
I have no desire to let him walk but he'd be 2nd on my list to go behind Ryder to acquire a good prospect/pick at the TD. He's an asset, I just don't think he's one I want on this team long term. There's plenty of time to change my mind but the early impression isn't winning me over yet.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:17 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I have no desire to let him walk but he'd be 2nd on my list to go behind Ryder to acquire a good prospect/pick at the TD. He's an asset, I just don't think he's one I want on this team long term. There's plenty of time to change my mind but the early impression isn't winning me over yet.
I thought letting him walk = letting him walk as a UFA for nothing. I am not against getting an asset for Ryder and/or Roy at the TD, if the price is right. Then again, the return for such impending UFAs has really never been historically that great. Kaberle, Campbell, et al. fetched a mix of mid-level prospect/bottom-six player + draft pick/s.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm all for more draft picks and bottom 6 talent. And maybe AHL fodder since we'll need it next year.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:23 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
i think you could stretch that out to say theres an impressive top 8 in this draft. Theres probably a huge dropoff because the early talent is that good, not because the rest of the draft is weaker than a normal year.
MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

Who else would you put in there? No one else is really on the same level, IMO. Nicushkin might've been if he weren't such a wildcard.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:34 AM
txomisc

Quote:
MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

Who else would you put in there? No one else is really on the same level, IMO. Nicushkin might've been if he weren't such a wildcard.
I think you could say guys like Pulock and Ristolainan have more talent than typical guys who would go after 6th in the draft.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
I thought letting him walk = letting him walk as a UFA for nothing. I am not against getting an asset for Ryder and/or Roy at the TD, if the price is right. Then again, the return for such impending UFAs has really never been historically that great. Kaberle, Campbell, et al. fetched a mix of mid-level prospect/bottom-six player + draft pick/s.
Oh it did. I can't see Joe trading him at the deadline after just acquiring him. But yes, if Joe would trade him at the deadline, I'd be all for getting something back of course. I just hope he wants too much money or too long of a deal that way we are "forced" to let him walk. I know it's still early I just don't see anything I really like in what he brings and feel he will only regress with age.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Face-offs, yes. Speed, slightly above average. Shooting, he can shoot as much as he wants, but his shot looks pretty weak to me (Wandellesque). None of this impresses me. To give him another contract more than 2 years seems silly to me.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Oh it did. I can't see Joe trading him at the deadline after just acquiring him. But yes, if Joe would trade him at the deadline, I'd be all for getting something back of course. I just hope he wants too much money or too long of a deal that way we are "forced" to let him walk. I know it's still early I just don't see anything I really like in what he brings and feel he will only regress with age.
Valid point. Then I'd have to assume JN signs him. As I said before, letting him walk for nothing would make JN extremely unpopular in Dallas, having given up a fan-favorite* in Ott to acquire him.

*I'll be the first to say that I never was a fan of Ott's nor understood the fanaticism regarding him.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Nyquist

Death for Seth!!!!!!!

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:43 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

I blame LatvianTwist

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:47 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

stop following me

GMJN isn't gonna trade Roy for anything less valuable than Ott, but at the same time he can't just let him walk. Only option is to get him to re-sign.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Valid point. Then I'd have to assume JN signs him. As I said before, letting him walk for nothing would make JN extremely unpopular in Dallas, having given up a fan-favorite* in Ott to acquire him.

*I'll be the first to say that I never was a fan of Ott's nor understood the fanaticism regarding him.
Same here on regards to Ott. Just a dirty pos(I can finally say that now that he's not on our team), who only revved up other teams to beat our ass. I guess I just see as getting Ott and Pardy off our team as a plus, regardless if we don't keep anything in return.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:50 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Why didn't we all feel this way about Ott when he was actually on our team?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

Quote:
MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm

Shinkaruk.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
stop following me

GMJN isn't gonna trade Roy for anything less valuable than Ott, but at the same time he can't just let him walk. Only option is to get him to re-sign.
What would you rather have, Roy signed for 5 years at lets say 3-4 mil a year(limited trade clause) or let him walk? Can you confidently say he will be producing in his 4-5 year, or are we going to have another Morrow/Robidas situation on our hand.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Oh I did, you never heard me praise, in any form, Steve Ott, but I'm not going to go all ScubaSteve on our players.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Nyquist

Quote:
Because I like you

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Quote:
I actually like him more now that he's gone.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
I actually like him more now that he's gone.
Agreed. Same with Ribs.

Not bad players at all, just not good fits anymore.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I can't speak for others, but I had begun to sour on him after he got his pretty lucrative extension and failed to build on two very good productive seasons in 2008-09 and 2009-10. If I had to guess, the salary bump was given for that very reason. He was an effective pest when he could agitate and throw people off their game (Joe Thornton during 2008 playoffs) and that effectiveness failed when he allowed himself-- post-extension-- to be agitated and take stupid penalties or fight scrubs like Darrell Powe and take himself off the ice for 5 minutes, especially when he was playing top-six minutes and expected to do more than just being #pesky.