HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers win 4-1

Old
01-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Descendent*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
We finished 29th with the 3rd ranked PP and 14th ranked PK last season.
They're a better team this season and I believe they will improve their 5 on 5 play soon. I'm starting to like our D core.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
A win is a win but the Oilers were very lucky to win this game.
Far too many turnovers and giveaways...the Oilers were very fortunate that the Av's were so undermanned in this game.
Their 5x5 play has to improve if they have any chance at a playoff berth.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

I think it was smart to bench Yakupov there. Gagner/Horcoff/Hemsky had 2 nice shifts at the end. Also nice to have 2 centermen out there to take the draws.

I really want to see Paajarvi and Hartikainen get a few games together. They looked really good together.

The Smyth-Horcoff-Petrell line is so painfully slow. Hopefully Jones can slot into that line and add some speed.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
A win is a win but the Oilers were very lucky to win this game.
Far too many turnovers and giveaways...the Oilers were very fortunate that the Av's were so undermanned in this game.
Their 5x5 play has to improve if they have any chance at a playoff berth.
I don't think that's fair at all. We controlled the game until the last period. We were never really in trouble of losing the game.

We were lucky that Colorado was missing some key players though.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Descendent*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
His feet might be healthy (doesn't seem like it to me) but he seems to have suffered a head injury during the lockout.
He moved around some forecheckers nicely and made some great passes.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
So what was Potter doing out there with the 1st unit on that last PP? Smells like showcasing.
Protecting a lead late in the game.

I didn't mind Whitney too much, to be fair he made some nice passes on the PP. They do seem to be looking off Yakupov a bit too much on that second unit though, the puck seems to stay on the left side. Either way it's been doing well for us.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:53 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
It's late so maybe I'm missing something here. How is Hall +3 when we only have 2 even strength goals?
Did he get a shorty?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Brokenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
Oilers fans always have to find one player a year to hate on. Whitney is a good player and is finally healthy. Let's cheer on the entire team.
If Whitney was healthy, nobody here would be hating on him. The guy as amazing when he first came here before he got hurt. He simply looks like he can't move quick enough now with those ankles.
He is smart and can make an amazing breakout so I'm willing to give him time, but honestly it doesn't look good for him.
Its not hating on someone to give an honest assessment of his play, hell I feel sorry for him, but the fact is if you watch close enough you can see he is stuggling to keep up.

Brokenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Descendent*

What a snipe by Eberle tonight. That was sick. Hall played solid too leading many rushes with his speed.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
plikestechno

Some people need to calm down a bit. This game reminded me a lot of when San Jose beat us up. Bunch of PP converts, we really took it to them and for the last half of the game we coasted just like San Jose. Except we're not San Jose and we almost got bit tonight. Will have to keep the pedal to the medal next time. I was pretty proud of our defence, everybody seemed to take their man for the most part tonight.

I love how Hemsky has trolled some fans and reporters here his whole career. Do you think he's going to change anything at this point in his career? He does what he does and he makes enough plays over the course of a career to earn a 5M cheque. He opens up room for other guys. I have a feeling that people are going to be making the same complaints about Taylor Hall's offensive play in a few years. They do what they do but they will have full careers as legit top 6ers. If you think they're going to wake up with hockey sense one day you're mistaken. Skill and will, they're not tacticians.

Finally, another night of Corey Potter and of course he earned his minus on the only goal of the game and was terrible in the 3rd. He makes Whitney look so bad. I can't imagine how Fistric isn't in for Phoenix. I almost lost my mind that he wasn't in tonight. He would have killed some guys as soft as butter as that Avs team was.

Paul Stastny and Erik Johnson are bad now. That team might be on permasuck if they can't turn things around soon. I don't even think they knew it was a real game until half way through.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HandsomeDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Thoughts:

1st line played great, the chemistry is very strong. Eberle with two sweet behind the back passes

Gagner is increasing his value every game, worth at least 6th rounder now. Good game

Yakupov is fighting the puck, trying to do to much. But hes a rookie. Ill give him a break. Would like to see him on the third line for a bit.

Hemsky didnt play as bad as people are saying, decent game.

Harti and MPS- love it, love the pair, they dominated the boards, Harti is a bull

Belanger played good in our zone to.

Smid- Petry played a good game

Schultz squared- good game, JS with some great opporunities, and defensively sound. I have full confidence in this guy no matter that situation.

I would like to see a Petry-J Schultz pairing for a game to see two PMD play together with the 1st line. A smid and N schultz line would be a good shutdown pairing for the second line.

Lastly: loved Dubynks game
Shultz˛ - I like that

HandsomeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueChip01

Still concerned about our defensive zone. I can't seem to see any sort of breakout pattern that they try. Too much running around.

They are getting a lot of chances this season 5 on 5. That is where I see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's not like they are not getting a sniff. If they connected they should have had a lot of even strength goals.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Dubnyk stops 38 of 39 shots. Dominator.
I thought that he looked pretty shaky all night, but whatever, we got the 2 points. Hopefully it will help him get some confidence.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Descendent*

Schultz didn't get any points but made some smart d plays. He has great patience in his own end.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:00 AM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post
If Whitney was healthy, nobody here would be hating on him. The guy as amazing when he first came here before he got hurt. He simply looks like he can't move quick enough now with those ankles.
He is smart and can make an amazing breakout so I'm willing to give him time, but honestly it doesn't look good for him.
Its not hating on someone to give an honest assessment of his play, hell I feel sorry for him, but the fact is if you watch close enough you can see he is stuggling to keep up.
Yep it's sad that he can barely play skate and play defense anymore but I don't feel bad for him. He's made enough money. I think he wishes he would have just shut up, been a better team player and stayed in Pittsburgh and won that cup. His whole career fell apart after being traded from them minus that brief stint a couple of years ago.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:01 AM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
Schultz didn't get any points but made some smart d plays. He has great patience in his own end.
He was fantastic again. I'm so happy. Watching him has been like waking up on Christmas morning to a Ferrari in the driveway. You never get those guys in trades, never, you have to draft them. And he chose us. I still can't believe it.

That's why I get frustrated when guys on this team that know better have been so terrible. The hockey gods have been great to us the past few years, now it's time to do something with these gifts or we'll just end up being the next Isles, CBJ, Florida etc.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
With the vancouver SO loss today the oilers are on top of the North West, i like the view from here.
43 games to go
We're also 3 points out of last overall. Sorry, I had to go there. Negativity seems to be the thing to do on this forum.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:02 AM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Did he get a shorty?
No. We have 4 even strength goals I'm pretty sure. 2 of them with the goalie pulled.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
No. We have 4 even strength goals I'm pretty sure. 2 of them with the goalie pulled.
Oh ok. Four ES goals but two 5 on 5 goals.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
plikestechno

I also loved the Harti-Belanger-Paajarvi line tonight. I think Belanger had a lot of fun playing with them. He was really given'r. When Jones comes back with Smyth and Horcoff I can legitimately see us rolling 4 lines. Eager and Hordichuk might as well be waived because they don't do anything anyway. Fistric and Smid can be the heavies until we find some tough, skilled offense. It might be never but at this point I don't want Hordichuk and "one hit from death" Ben Eager taking up space.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
On ES scoring, I'm not sure what else you could do other than mix up the 2nd and 3rd lines.

The top line periods of sustained pressure but couldn't finish. I agree with everyone else that RNH does not like the RNH of last year, but he's still making plays. As much as I said break these guys up, after the game they had, I think that'd be crazy. The only other idea I can think of is to give the big 3 some softer competition to try get them going at ES. But if that means less icetime for those guys then forget it. Nothing much you can do but keep playing them and hope they bury some chances.

Other than that, I'm really tempted to try a Harti-Gagner-MPS line if Harti-MPS continue their chemistry. They had prolonged periods of pressure together, and Harti in particular really made his presence down low felt.

I do think Smyth to the 4th line should be a discussion we should be open to having. Especially if Harti can play his game. I love Smyth, and everything he's done, but he's just not effective anymore. Limit him at ES and play him on the PK.

We gave the puck away a lot, so we need to tighten that up. D was OK overall. Not surprising Whitney-Potter was the pairing that got scored on.

Also, Gagner is having a good year so far. He's doing a lot of the things that he hasn't in the past.

Good win, hopefully we keep it up.

01-29-2013, 01:18 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I thought that he looked pretty shaky all night, but whatever, we got the 2 points. Hopefully it will help him get some confidence.
I thought so too. I didn't see the goal though but I would guess it was a weak one.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Ragss

Has it been mentioned yet that they had 24 shots in the third? Hardly woulda noticed.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:53 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
vinning iz gud, komrades.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:30 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I thought so too. I didn't see the goal though but I would guess it was a weak one.
you would be correct sir.

POTTER looked worse on the play though.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote