HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Japadogs 2, Tortas 3 (SO): Randy Newman spins in his grave

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
CM-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I hear they just cancelled their #1 draft pick parade this summer.
damn Jones was supposed to complete the collection there!

Old
01-29-2013, 01:41 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
We're not playing like a bubble team even. Kesler is good but when you have two all-star forwards and a stacked defense. His absence should not have such a profound affect on our roster.
He's still a huge part of this team. PK, defensive face-offs, offense, grit, etc.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
We're not playing like a bubble team even. Kesler is good but when you have two all-star forwards and a stacked defense. His absence should not have such a profound affect on our roster.
We are playing like a bubble team...

take off the #2 centre of any team and they struggle, take off another top 6 forward and their offense is seriously lacking

Old
01-29-2013, 01:44 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I saw Manny take one shift for him in the third. I wouldn't consider not getting out there during the 5 minutes of 4 on 4 being sat.
I saw Manny being used out there with Raymond too. The only thing was, it was for more than just 1 shift. You can check the play-by-play report. Starting 9:06 left in the 3rd period he wasn't seen out there again, save for when the puck flew into the benches later on. Also, why would him sitting out in OT not be considered benching? He was used out there against Calgary the other night too.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
What kind of attitude is that to have? Doesn't matter which team is better. You still have to go out there and give an effort and try to win the game. Canucks weren't good enough.

Of course, but would you be as miffed if you recognized another team was just better going in? No. If you acknowledge the difference, you aren't as apt to blow up. I think there's confusion right now. People _think_ the Canucks are the better team. They think that the Canucks should win. However, the PTs and the SCF means nothing. Winning the most games over the past 4 years means nothing.

It really seems like even with two regular defenders out for LA, that they are able to command possession vs. VAN, the supposedly more skilled team... There's something amiss here.

A caller just said: Are we a top team in the conference? People really need to ask this question again.

Old
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The Kings dominated possession tonight. BOS usually does when VAN faces them.
The Bruins and Kings can grind the game out on the boards if we let them. That's their style. If we play well defensively and keep them on the boards and move the puck well out of our zone and through the neutral zone we can beat them.

I'm actually pretty excited about what I've seen from the Canucks. Ballard and Tanev playing this well as a third pair is great. Kassian and Schroeder both add something we need. Raymond has rebounded so far and adds some real competition to the top 6. When the rest of the team comes around we'll be improved from the teams we've had the last couple seasons imo.

Old
Sergei Shirokov

So a few days ago in another thread I proposed trading Bieksa in the offseason rather than trading/buying out Keith Ballard.

So with Ballard playing outstanding again tonight, I just can't see us moving him, Bieksa has been Mr.Inconsistentcy every season expect 10/11. Plus he would garner us more in return.

For the record I thought he played better tonight but anyone with me? gotta keep Ballard.

Old
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Attack the opinion, not the person. Any more personal shots will be dealt with harshly. This is your last warning.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
The Bruins and Kings can grind the game out on the boards if we let them. That's their style. If we play well defensively and keep them on the boards and move the puck well out of our zone and through the neutral zone we can beat them.

I'm actually pretty excited about what I've seen from the Canucks. Ballard and Tanev playing this well as a third pair is great. Kassian and Schroeder both add something we need. Raymond has rebounded so far and adds some real competition for the top 6. When the rest of the team comes around we'll be improved from the teams we've had the last couple seasons imo.
Exactly starting slow and picking up steam through the season when players come back from injury and everyone shakes off the rust is going to be exciting. I would rather the canucks figure things out midway through the season than slow down like teams who have started quickly are bound to do.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

@ Bleach: It's hard to say how good this team is without Kesler and Booth. And even then they'd still need more time I think. Even Gillis said as much during Duthie's interview during the intermission.
Quote:

I'm actually pretty excited about what I've seen from the Canucks. Ballard and Tanev playing this well as a third pair is great. Kassian and Schroeder both add something we need. Raymond has rebounded so far and adds some real competition to the top 6. When the rest of the team comes around we'll be improved from the teams we've had the last couple seasons imo.
Agreed.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Yossarian54

Good:

Lu - Almost single handedly kept us in the game. Brilliant in the 2nd period. Unluck on the 2-2 goal, heavily screened and I thought not enough pressure by the forwards.

Kassian - Keeps on going, even playing an excellent defensive game.

Schroeder - I was upset with him when I tuned in (start of 2nd) as I think he missed a major defensive play near the net and lost his man early on in the 2nd (no, not the ones where Tanev lost his man). But did he ever play well after that. Speed, breaking up plays, a couple of nice set up passes, everything. No clue why he was benched with 5 to go and in OT.

Higgins-Burrows-Hansen - I thought this line worked well. Higgins looks so much better than 3 or 4 games ago, hitting, forechecking, outworking guys on the boards. Honey badger gonna honey badger and I thought Burrows did well as a centre. The problem is this isn't a "true" 2nd line. It's more of a 3rd line on a good team.

Ballard/Tanev - One bad missed read by Tanev but otherwise our best pairing by miles. Ballard even on the PP near the end - someone finally set Edler up for a one timer.

Weise - Good hustle. Perfect 4th liner once our line-up is full.

The Meh:

Sedins - couple of nice moments, didn't regularly keep it in the zone, more missed passes than I am used to. Look okay at the moment, not good.

The rest of the D - Still all look rusty.

Volpatti - decent hustle, could almost say he was good. I'd like to see him a little more involved, LA are a big team and we really need our bigger guys to out-work them along the boards. Could be a 'good' but didn't notice him much, might be a good thing.

Raymond - Good moments, Bad moments.

Manny - Meh meh meh. 4th line minutes, 62% on draws, i'll take it.

The Awful:

Lappy - must be injured. Or maybe he put on too much bulk? Looks slow and behind the play.

The PP - Oh dear god. Just ****ing shoot it from the point. Then bang at rebounds. No pass open? Shoot from the point. Sedinery ineffective? Shoot from the point

The benching of Schroeder and Weise 5 minutes before the end of the game, when our forwards were clearly tired, and they had both played excellent defence up until that point. W.T.F.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I saw Manny being used out there with Raymond too. The only thing was, it was for more than just 1 shift. You can check the play-by-play report. Starting 9:06 left in the 3rd period he wasn't seen out there again, save for when the puck flew into the benches later on. Also, why would him sitting out in OT not be considered benching? He was used out there against Calgary the other night too.
I noticed Raymond/Malhotra/Weise for the first time around 3:30. Maybe he missed a shift before that.

Only 6 forwards play in OT most of the time, does that mean 6 guys are sat?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
This is the silver lining, yes. I agree.

However, there's a note of alarm in that the season is 12.5% completed and I wouldn't expect Kesler back within 2 weeks, nor Booth within 3.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
Outside99*

It was not Tanev's best game in the first 2 periods (esp blown coverage on Stoll), but he was on fire in the 3rd, constantly getting the puck out of danger in tight quarters. Ballard was solid and moved the puck well.

Hamhuis was a little better but he's definitely a step slower than usual and it really affects his play. Bieksa played well I thought, aggressive and good stick work. Edler was his usual avg self defensively.

Garrison is very sound positionally and is very effective putting the body on opposing forwards. But his mobility seems avg. (took a nasty spill turning on the PP at one point) and he loses more puck battles than I would have expected.

Anybody else notice how unplayable the 4th line was? Malhotra other than face-offs and a little pk, almost looks like going thru the motions, and Lapierre has regressed big time, definitely a step or two slower.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Crows*

I wish Ballard would get rewarded with more points. Gotta give the man kudos. He has battled hard for this team through a lot of bad press and pressure. He's been so solid and is a terrific puck mover for a third pairing guy.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Shorty seems pissed about Burrs attempt lol
that attempt by burr was pathetic and embarassing.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I think we saw VAN try to stop that grinding board work, but with little success. It's their style. The Canucks have their own style. Yet, it seemed in this game and most others vs. bigger teams like LA, that the opposition's style tends to dictate the pace. The Canucks cannot handle the size and board work these teams employ.

I believe people are really putting too much stock into the PTs and the SCF run. The game is now a grind and the Canucks aren't built to handle that style.

What is the judge if a certain team is better or not? VAN is great in the regular season, but got handled by LA in the playoffs. So wouldn't that be the point we anoint LA as being better than the Canucks. Even when they aren't fully on their game, and I don't think LA was, they still took it to the Canucks. At what point do we acknowledge that they are better? Until they beat this team in regular season point totals?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:58 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
I noticed Raymond/Malhotra/Weise for the first time around 3:30. Maybe he missed a shift before that.

Only 6 forwards play in OT most of the time, does that mean 6 guys are sat?
It does when they don't see the ice for the prior 10 minutes before that as well.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:59 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
We desperately need Kesler back.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:59 AM
craigcaulks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
that attempt by burr was pathetic and embarassing.
But if scored it would have been HF lore.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
But if scored it would have been HF lore.
This. He's trying to mix things up a bit so goalies won't always anticipate the forehand/backhand deke. It didn't work, oh well - better luck next time. He still has the highest shootout rate of any of our shooters (with more than 1 or 2 shots to their credit).

Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What is the judge if a certain team is better or not? VAN is great in the regular season, but got handled by LA in the playoffs. So wouldn't that be the point we anoint LA as being better than the Canucks. Even when they aren't fully on their game, and I don't think LA was, they still took it to the Canucks. At what point do we acknowledge that they are better? Until they beat this team in regular season point totals?
Clearly last seasons version of the Kings was better than last years version of the Canucks... and everyone else. They won the cup. They might still be better but like I said, I'd like to see a full lineup before I concede.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:03 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
So a few days ago in another thread I proposed trading Bieksa in the offseason rather than trading/buying out Keith Ballard.

So with Ballard playing outstanding again tonight, I just can't see us moving him, Bieksa has been Mr.Inconsistentcy every season expect 10/11. Plus he would garner us more in return.

For the record I thought he played better tonight but anyone with me? gotta keep Ballard.
If Ballard continues playing well I could see them getting rid of Booth instead. With Kassian becoming (or on the verge of becoming) a top six player and Jensen competing for a spot next year Booth's spot the canucks might be able to fill Booth's spot internally. Ballard however will be more difficult as neither Anderson, Corrado, or Connauton will be ready to make the nhl.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It does when they don't see the ice for the prior 10 minutes before that as well.
OK. You're still overreacting. A rookie playing in his 4th career game was "sat" with a one goal lead... sounds about right. I thought Schroeder got caught watching the puck in our end a few times tonight, I would have "sat" him too.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:05 AM
K2B
dim jim

A complete joke that Schroeder was benchedate. Was arguably are best forward during the game. Wouldn't be surprised if Schroeder sits for Ebbet against Colorado, if that occurs I will punch a baby.

Closed Thread