HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keith Ballard Discussion

Old
01-28-2013, 11:55 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Ballard's transformation the past few games is unbelievable, playing very well tonight, so much more confident.
He's played like this from game 1.

It's a shame that every poster here was calling him out as our worst defender the first 2 games, especially since it was extremely obvious it was out of reputation.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post

It's a shame that every poster here was calling him out as our worst defender the first 2 games, especially since it was extremely obvious it was out of reputation.
Correction, a bit earlier - since the Kings playoff series loss.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Correction, a bit earlier - since the Kings playoff series loss.
Agreed. I just wanted to point out how people were calling out players solely based off of reputation.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post

Not exactly, made a few errors each of the first 3 games. Even then, his play tonight shows a confidence level he hasn't had as a Canuck.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:53 AM
thebigbea

he and tanev out played the top 4 dmen easy...

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:54 AM
tc23

Glad to see that people's perceptions of Keith Ballard are finally changing as Keith Ballard regains his form by playing excellent hockey! The guy has had some tough luck with injuries and being stuck in AV's doghouse. Hopefully those days are behind him and the rest of our D wake up.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
Glad to see that people's perceptions of Keith Ballard are finally changing as Keith Ballard regains his form by playing excellent hockey! The guy has had some tough luck with injuries and being stuck in AV's doghouse. Hopefully those days are behind him and the rest of our D wake up.
If the rest of the d wake up, and Ballard and Tanev keep up their great play, then this d is looking really solid.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:58 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
If the rest of the d wake up, and Ballard and Tanev keep up their great play, then this d is looking really solid.
If they are at some point our THIRD best pairing we are laughing all the way to a parade.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:01 AM
tc23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Yeah. That's what I'm so excited about. If we enter the playoffs with Ballard and Tanev playing as well as they have been and our other Dmen getting their **** together, this could be a strong year.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

he was by far the best d-man for the canucks against the kings, and it's not like he's only getting that award by default (which he kinda is)...he's making good reads, crisp passes, and is probably the best guy on the team right now in engaging opposition players in front of the net and tying up sticks

was also nice to see him get 30 seconds of powerplay time and show the rest of the team how to actually set his def partner (edler) up for a one-timer properly

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
he was by far the best d-man for the canucks against the kings, and it's not like he's only getting that award by default (which he kinda is)...he's making good reads, crisp passes, and is probably the best guy on the team right now in engaging opposition players in front of the net and tying up sticks

was also nice to see him get 30 seconds of powerplay time and show the rest of the team how to actually set his def partner (edler) up for a one-timer properly
My favourite thing is when you can see Ballard just go "**** it" and skate the puck out, even though it'll get him a death glare from our "coaches".

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:17 AM
NYVanfan

ballard much better for sure, skating well and moving the puck
but he is weak below our own goal line when facing any contact

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
ballard much better for sure, skating well and moving the puck
but he is weak below our own goal line when facing any contact
Meh, he's ****ing Rambo out there compared to 80% of the rest of the team.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
arsmaster

I like that Ballard actually blocks shots, he and Bieksa are the only guys that seem to throw their bodies in harms way.

It was nice to see him get rewarded with a little PP time last night too.

It still aggravating to see Edler and Bieksa up around 24-25 minutes and Ballard and Tanev at 16-19.

Our blue line depth is our main strength outside of the goaltenders, play them closer to even minutes and ride the guys who are playing better.

Seems simple.

Ferraro mentioned Tanev when he was on the ice just about every time last night, and it was because of good play...good plays made possible by KB4 covering him up to perfection.

Sucks the cap is going down, Bally is finally establishing himself here.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I like that Ballard actually blocks shots, he and Bieksa are the only guys that seem to throw their bodies in harms way.
Garrison actually led the team with 5 last night and has less giveaways than Ballard, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Edler. Edler leads the team in blocked shots with 14.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:40 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Garrison actually led the team with 5 last night and has less giveaways than Ballard, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Edler. Edler leads the team in blocked shots with 14.
Well they play 5+ more minutes, I should hope they get hit with the puck more.

Ballard's shot blocks look like 'effort' for me, whereas Edler just looks 'in the way', which accomplishes the same thing.

I'm just really happy to see Ballard playing with confidence, happy for him.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Well they play 5+ more minutes, I should hope they get hit with the puck more.

Ballard's shot blocks look like 'effort' for me, whereas Edler just looks 'in the way', which accomplishes the same thing.

I'm just really happy to see Ballard playing with confidence, happy for him.
I just wish Ballard didn't use the patented Adam Foote "sideways crouch" shotblocking style. I dont' know how he doesn't break more bones. I guess it beats Kesler's "just put my hands in front of it" style.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Well that's fine and dandy, but why do they look so terrible out there?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:06 AM
JetsAlternate

Ballard's been playing excellent thus far this season. He's blocked several shots, been steady defensively, and has created offense. His move at the blue line today was nifty. I'm sure he can be an exciting defenseman to watch, though I don't know if AV would allow him to play his style freely.

Meanwhile, did anyone catch Grabner's shorthanded goal against Pittsburgh a few days ago? He was flying. A part of me wishes he were still a Canuck, but that's in the past. Here's his goal, though:

That's some great speed.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:48 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Ballard's been playing excellent thus far this season. He's blocked several shots, been steady defensively, and has created offense. His move at the blue line today was nifty. I'm sure he can be an exciting defenseman to watch, though I don't know if AV would allow him to play his style freely.

Meanwhile, did anyone catch Grabner's shorthanded goal against Pittsburgh a few days ago? He was flying. A part of me wishes he were still a Canuck, but that's in the past. Here's his goal, though:

That's some great speed.
That first defenseman was still trying to work our what was happening when Grabner was gone.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:51 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Well that's fine and dandy, but why do they look so terrible out there?
Garrison had a groin injury before the season, that might explain his slower than expected skating.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I will agree with the point that Ballard is playing better defensively.

He is still completely useless offensively however. He made one fantastic stretch pass a couple games ago. Other then that it is same old Ballard. Sure he can skate the puck up the ice, but he *never* does anything useful once he is up there. He shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot. He's also very fond of pulling the Raymond move where he holds just long enough to eliminate every single option he had and just flips it down the boards or into the goalie's glove with no screen.

I also wonder just how much of the defensive improvement is him and how much is on Tanev, who is just never, ever out of position. But I am glad his defensive play is generally better, although still pretty weak down low below the goal line.

And yes, I am aware the top four have mostly been a train wreck by comparison. That in itself does not elevate Ballard's performance IMO.

I just hope he plays himself into solid trade value, as there is almost zero chance he comes back with the Cap dropping.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post

I just hope he plays himself into solid trade value, as there is almost zero chance he comes back with the Cap dropping.
I'm also very curious about this. I hope a GM somewhere buys into his re-emergence without correctly factoring in Tanev's contribution. With the dearth of quality UFA dmen available, he could potentially fetch nearly what we paid for him.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

If we dealt him for a second and a third this offseason, what a draft to do it.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Not exactly, made a few errors each of the first 3 games. Even then, his play tonight shows a confidence level he hasn't had as a Canuck.
Name one Canuck that didn't make a few errors the first 3 games.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote