HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Describe the following....

Old
01-28-2013, 08:50 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

vCash: 500
Describe the following....

so I was looking at some prospects and I decided I'd ask some of the more informed people (from viewing the kids more) on the following prospects. Their upside (for example #1 D, second line winger etc), their strengths and weakenesses (or areas of improvement) and an NHL comparable player.

Brett Connolly (Tampa Bay Lightning, 6th overall 2010)
Evgeni Kuznetsov (Washington Capitals, 26th overall 2010)
Connor Murphy (Phoenix Coyotes, 20th overall 2011)
Duncan Siemens (Colorado Avalanche, 11th overall 2011)
Matt Finn (Toronto Maple Leafs, 35th overall 2012)
Garret Sparks (Toronto Maple Leafs, 190th overall 2011)
Viktor Rask (Carolina Hurricanes, 42nd overall 2011)
Xavier Ouellet (Detroit Red Wings, 48th overall 2011)

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Xokkeu

Conor Murphy simply can't stay healthy. He's had a major injury just about every season. When he is healthy he's a solid defender who blocks shots, moves the puck fairly well and has a good stick. The question mark is how much development he's missing due to his injuries.

Kuznetsov is simply a stud. Question is whether he wants to play in North America or not.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:06 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Connor Murphy (Phoenix Coyotes, 20th overall 2011) Extremely smooth skating, solid offensively and defensively. Can't stay healthy, but no severe recurring injuries; just injury prone. Get's outmuscled more than he should with his frame, and doesn't play very physically. #1D upside, but that's a long shot and is more likely to be a middle pairing Jay Bouwmeester-like player (though without Jaybo's durability).
Duncan Siemens (Colorado Avalanche, 11th overall 2011) Solid shutdown guy with some offensive upside. Great skating, and very solid physically. Consistency earlier in the year was questionable and he was stripped of his captaincy as he and his team started off the year extremely slow. I think he has #3 upside, in an Eric Brewer-type mold.
Matt Finn (Toronto Maple Leafs, 35th overall 2012) No standout skills or weaknesses, just does everything pretty well. Skating is good but not outstanding, can play a powerplay but isn't dynamic. His strongest quality is probably his defensive positioning, which is pretty solid. Middle pairing upside, sort of plays like Andrej Sekera
Xavier Ouellet (Detroit Red Wings, 48th overall 2011) Easily the best player of the four I've listed. Excellent defensively, good offensively, and a good leader. Excelled for Canada in the early parts of the most recent WJC. Some flaws to his game are that he isn't super physical and his shot isnt great, but neither aspect is all that crucial to his overall skillset. Upside is a #1D, but I think he ends up as a complimentary #2. He reminds me most of Tobias Enstrom

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:58 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Kuznetsov is simply a stud. Question is whether he wants to play in North America or not.
He's already said he will after his current contract is up.

Though if you read the Capitals board, you would think the kid is the scum of the earth and is lying.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:37 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
He's already said he will after his current contract is up.

Though if you read the Capitals board, you would think the kid is the scum of the earth and is lying.
....question is who knows what he will think then. I don't have a problem with the guy at all. If he wants to stay in the KHL, I'll be bummed only because it's harder to watch, but that's about it. If I'm an NHL exec however, I'm going to believe that when I see it.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:35 AM
joe89

Victor Rask - Upside fringe 1st line C/good 2nd line C, likely projection 3rd line C.
Good frame, strong on the puck, soft hands, good shot and decent playmaking aswell. Strong defensive game. Need work on skating and consistency. When he's on his game he's one heck of a player.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:33 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
Kuznetsov.. excellent, excellent skater, great hands, shot and overall goal scoring abilities. Could use linemates better and maybe little improve decision making.

Elite talent. Just hope he would come over in 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Connor Murphy (Phoenix Coyotes, 20th overall 2011) Extremely smooth skating, solid offensively and defensively. Can't stay healthy, but no severe recurring injuries; just injury prone. Get's outmuscled more than he should with his frame, and doesn't play very physically. #1D upside, but that's a long shot and is more likely to be a middle pairing Jay Bouwmeester-like player (though without Jaybo's durability).
Duncan Siemens (Colorado Avalanche, 11th overall 2011) Solid shutdown guy with some offensive upside. Great skating, and very solid physically. Consistency earlier in the year was questionable and he was stripped of his captaincy as he and his team started off the year extremely slow. I think he has #3 upside, in an Eric Brewer-type mold.
Matt Finn (Toronto Maple Leafs, 35th overall 2012) No standout skills or weaknesses, just does everything pretty well. Skating is good but not outstanding, can play a powerplay but isn't dynamic. His strongest quality is probably his defensive positioning, which is pretty solid. Middle pairing upside, sort of plays like Andrej Sekera
Xavier Ouellet (Detroit Red Wings, 48th overall 2011) Easily the best player of the four I've listed. Excellent defensively, good offensively, and a good leader. Excelled for Canada in the early parts of the most recent WJC. Some flaws to his game are that he isn't super physical and his shot isnt great, but neither aspect is all that crucial to his overall skillset. Upside is a #1D, but I think he ends up as a complimentary #2. He reminds me most of Tobias Enstrom
Ouellet reminds me of Vlasic a lot. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

thanks guys

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote