HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I know it was a joke....Holmgren's decision to trade that lower 1st round pick for Eminger was no joke that is for sure.

I remember when they announced it..I flipped and Carlson and Markstrom were specifically players that were ranked high and still on the board that I wanted them to get.

Flyers better start focusing on D in the drafts and developing them properly. I remember Holmgren saying some nonesense about that pick being like a second round pick anyway and that it was such a coup to get a first rounder in Eminger...

Voynov and Schultz were also 2nd rounders in that draft....
Idc if they focus on D. Draft who you want, and eventually our farm system will be good again.

This can't develop D men is a myth....the problem with the homer regime is that they do not have picks...stop trading them...period.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
achdumeingute

Leighton isn't good, but he is not the reason we were not successful vs TB.

Lindbak let up the worst goal in that game....much better after that though.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Devastate

Another great game by Bob

Old
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Leighton isn't good, but he is not the reason we were not successful vs TB.

Lindbak let up the worst goal in that game....much better after that though.
He's not 100% the reason we lost but he still didn't help.

Lindback may have let up the worst goal but he shut the door after that. He made some really nice saves on some that should have been goals. I thought the flyers had some nice scoring chances during that game.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You don't think other backups are saying their trying to win the job? Schenieder/Luongo? Quick/Bernier? etc etc.
i don't care about VAN or LA, or if the media in those cities will make it a bigger circus if the backup is telling them that they want to be #1.

i'm sure it would be a circus in VAN, probably not in LA.

it's a circus we don't need here & it hurt us last year. i'm all for a better #2 than ML.

i just don't want him spouting off the Philly media about how thinks he should be the #1

[behind the scenes, fine by me]

Old
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i don't care about VAN or LA, or if the media in those cities will make it a bigger circus if the backup is telling them that they want to be #1.

it's a circus we don't need here & it hurt us last year. i'm all for a better #2 than ML.

i just don't want him spouting off the Philly media about how thinks he should be the #1

Show me all these quotes of Bob saying "I should be the starter" to the media.

01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Show me all these quotes of Bob saying "I should be the starter" to the media.
I thought the extent of Bob's quotes were "Bob."

Old
01-29-2013, 12:43 AM
MsWoof

Quote:

There was no spouting off and you know it.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:10 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
No kidding. The dude barely spoke English. When the hell was he supposedly going on tirades to the media?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

The Flyers probably didnt want any controversy on who the #1 should be. Maybe thats one of the things with Bryz. He probably felt threatened by Bobrovsky and his ability to maybe steal his job and quite posibilly it got to Bryzgalov last season.
Now he has Leighton backing him up.
Who would be afraid of Leighton stealing his job? a kid in the AHL?

Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
No kidding. The dude barely spoke English. When the hell was he supposedly going on tirades to the media?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
here is the excerpt from Bob’s interview to the Sports. ru on 10/25/2011:

Q: When I had translated your quote “I am not worse than Bryzgalov” to Laviolete he smiled and said that he would not expect any other answer. He also added that any goalie on the team can become#1.
A: I have said it already that I am not content with the backup role. I will fight for the first all season long. Circumstances do not matter. I want to be the first, and I will be proving it to all.
that's the last time i discuss last season. there's no reason to re-hash it this year, especially with you guys who have selective memory.

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 01-29-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 06:29 AM
FlyersFan61290

While bob may have had something to do with Bryz's poor play I think there were other factors that effected him much more. New conference, new team/new system, pressure from media, pressure to perform from contract as well as for 24/7, not playing as many games, plus he put on substantial weight. Magically when he had time to adjust and 24/7 was over he played very well until getting a foot injury that really effected his push-off. So maybe bob had something to do with it but it was an underlining issue IMO.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wow, are people really complaining that they traded Bob? The guy had no future here (and also put up pretty ugly numbers last year...numbers that Bryz or Leighton would have gotten murdered for). Homer got a good return for him. Certainly better than they would have gotten if he walked as a UFA.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
that's the last time i discuss last season. there's no reason to re-hash it this year, especially with you guys who have selective memory.
Wow, THAT'S what your blowing out of proportion? A reporter asks Bob about becoming the number one, what do you expect a young goalie with loads of potential to say? "No, I hope to never become a starter." You've got one instance, and you've been acting like he'd been saying it all the time and/or trashing Bryz. He didn't say "I should be the starter," he says he thinks he's could be the starter.

All you're doing here is making Bryzgalov look worse. If having a young guy pushing to make a name for himself makes him completely melt down, then he's too mentally fragile to be trusted as a franchise goalie. A headcase like that can't be trusted to handle a deep playoff run.

Edit: If I were to say Briere had a down year last year because he just couldn't tolerate the pressure from Giroux or Couturier, and that he'd be better if we traded them, would you think that absolves him? Or makes him look worse?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-29-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 11:20 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Wow, are people really complaining that they traded Bob? The guy had no future here (and also put up pretty ugly numbers last year...numbers that Bryz or Leighton would have gotten murdered for). Homer got a good return for him. Certainly better than they would have gotten if he walked as a UFA.
Even when we can all agree that Bryz is playing well, people still whine and ***** about last year, I don't get it ??

Old
01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Even when we can all agree that Bryz is playing well, people still whine and ***** about last year, I don't get it ??
yup ..... go figure

Old
01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
yup ..... go figure
Absolving him for any and all blame for his performance last year: Perfectly OK!

Having the audacity to confirm that yes, he is still to blame for last year: hung up on the past.

Neat how that works. I believe the applicable phrase here is "double standard," as usual.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I refuse to believe people have tunnel vision or are stubborn on a subject on this board.
it simply does not happen

Old
01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I refuse to believe people have tunnel vision or are stubborn on a subject on this board.
it simply does not happen
that was good. i laughed.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Absolving him for any and all blame for his performance last year: Perfectly OK!

Having the audacity to confirm that yes, he is still to blame for last year: hung up on the past.

Neat how that works. I believe the applicable phrase here is "double standard," as usual.
I'm not absolving him from any and all blame, but people now complaining about the Bob trade is silly. He was not going to be the starter here. I don't imagine he would have re-signed to be the backup. Homer got a good return for a guy who put up a sub .900 SV% and plus 3.00 GAA. Sure, he may be a better backup than Leighton, but you have to strike while the iron is hot. Waiting on Bob would have lowered his trade value or risked him simply walking for nothing. Call the Leighton signing a mistake, I am leaning that way myself after years of fighting it, haha. But Homer really had no choice but to trade Bob.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Yes, I was one of the people frustrated that they traded Bob. I was frustrated that they signed Bryzgalov in the first place, because they're almost the same thing (one necessitates the other). I would have liked a little more patience with that situation and the team in general. At the same time I appreciate that they try to compete and ice a competitive roster every year, which means they're going to occasionally make some aggressive moves I don't like. I'm over it, but I do think it was a mistake.

The comparison between Bryz/Leightong and Bobrovsky is a little bit disingenuous. Bobrovsky was making 1.6/year and was a sophomore goaltender (what sophomore goalie didn't slump?) He had a ton of potential to improve and the work ethic to make it happen. He had also been a BAMF for the first year he was here. He's doing well in Columbus after the trade. Bryz and Leighton are established and known quantities. There is no real upside to them beyond what they already are. Bryzgalov is making some serious loot cakes, to be a not much better goalie than Bob.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Yes, I was one of the people frustrated that they traded Bob. I was frustrated that they signed Bryzgalov in the first place, because they're almost the same thing (one necessitates the other). I would have liked a little more patience with that situation and the team in general. At the same time I appreciate that they try to compete and ice a competitive roster every year, which means they're going to occasionally make some aggressive moves I don't like. I'm over it, but I do think it was a mistake.

The comparison between Bryz/Leightong and Bobrovsky is a little bit disingenuous. Bobrovsky was making 1.6/year and was a sophomore goaltender (what sophomore goalie didn't slump?) He had a ton of potential to improve and the work ethic to make it happen. He had also been a BAMF for the first year he was here. He's doing well in Columbus after the trade. Bryz and Leighton are established and known quantities. There is no real upside to them beyond what they already are. Bryzgalov is making some serious loot cakes, to be a not much better goalie than Bob.
first of all. i don't agree that we got enough for bob. i think considering his age, and the system he played and all the mediocre goalies out there (toronto comes to mind) being touted as starters he was some pretty decent trade bait. we could've packaged him with jvr and got a lot more in my opinion. i watched the whole game last night. he played well but the stars did not really put up much of a fight. bryzgalov is a known commodity which is why he IS payed the way he is (maybe slightly over but meh). if bob continues to improve he'll get paid also. but when both are at the top of their game bryz is a lot better than bob. the move was made because they felt in summer 2011 with pronger that we needed a guy NOW and didn't have the time to wait. in hindsight we were wrong but i'd still rather have bryz.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I'm not absolving him from any and all blame, but people now complaining about the Bob trade is silly. He was not going to be the starter here. I don't imagine he would have re-signed to be the backup. Homer got a good return for a guy who put up a sub .900 SV% and plus 3.00 GAA. Sure, he may be a better backup than Leighton, but you have to strike while the iron is hot. Waiting on Bob would have lowered his trade value or risked him simply walking for nothing. Call the Leighton signing a mistake, I am leaning that way myself after years of fighting it, haha. But Homer really had no choice but to trade Bob.
This is essentially answered by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post

Bob is young, we still probably haven't seen his best, and he has far more upside than Bryz does (in the sense that Bob can be expected to improve and develop, while the same is not expected of Bryz), who is more likely than not approaching his decline. We had an opportunity to develop a young goalie, and it ended up getting blown. The first Leighton re-signing failed, so Bob stayed up instead of getting loads of AHL time. The problem is, he needs playing time to get better since he's still pretty raw. Sending him down was a bad option for several reasons. Playing behind the expensive goalie we'd just signed for a long contract wouldn't get him enough playing time either. We were worked into a hole, by the org's doing as well as factors they couldn't help, and a rare opportunity for the Flyers had to be sent away as a result.

It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
This is essentially answered by this:

Bob is young, we still probably haven't seen his best, and he has far more upside than Bryz does (in the sense that Bob can be expected to improve and develop, while the same is not expected of Bryz), who is more likely than not approaching his decline. We had an opportunity to develop a young goalie, and it ended up getting blown. The first Leighton re-signing failed, so Bob stayed up instead of getting loads of AHL time. The problem is, he needs playing time to get better since he's still pretty raw. Sending him down was a bad option for several reasons. Playing behind the expensive goalie we'd just signed for a long contract wouldn't get him enough playing time either. We were worked into a hole, by the org's doing as well as factors they couldn't help, and a rare opportunity for the Flyers had to be sent away as a result.

It's frustrating, but it is what it is.
I have the same response to both. Your issue seems to be with the signing of Bryz, not the trading of Bob. The Bryz signing, the jury is still out on. It was definitely too long of a contract, I will certainly give you that. But at the time, as noted above, Bryz was a known quantity, Bob wasn't. He had one season under his belt. It was a good one, but it was not known if he would continue. Sure they could have stuck with Bob and passed on Bryz (or signed him to a shorter term or what have you), but you are taking the same type of risk by doing that. If they pass on Bryz and Bob busts, then you have nothing and are faced with the prospect of finding a new goalie anyway. Yes cap space would have been saved, but without a legit goalie, what does it matter? They chose to go with a known quantity and gambled in terms of money. It may backfire on them eventually, but at the time Bob wasn't the answer and he certainly didn't help his case last year. It was also unlikely he would stick around to play backup. Homer got a lot for him. If Bryz was never signed things may have gone down differently, but we also might be watching Bryz win a Vezina somewhere else yelling and screaming that he should have signed him when he had the chance.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

at least bryz is playing well & thats what is most important.

to most.

Closed Thread