HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So.. What are you expecting? (Playoff / Bubble / Tank)

View Poll Results: Expect
Playoff Team (1-8) 3 3.41%
Bubble Team (9 - 10) 31 35.23%
Tank Team (Top 3 - 5 pick) 54 61.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 11:52 PM
  #26
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,597
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Going to be just good enough to not get an awesome pick.
Agreed.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:00 AM
  #27
GamingGiant
Registered User
 
GamingGiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
25th overall.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
  #28
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,441
vCash: 500
This is a playoff team IMO. Well, a team that is built for the playoffs. If they get there, they will advance. Book that.

I don't feel they're a bubble team. They'll either be in or out long before the "bubble" period.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
  #29
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
just good enough to get a **** pick.
need to tank it again.

Edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
This is a playoff team IMO. Well, a team that is built for the playoffs. If they get there, they will advance. Book that.
WHAT? lmao wow.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
  #30
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
WHAT? lmao wow.
You pessimist, me optimist!

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
  #31
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Up till now, I've seen a lottery team on the ice. Our defense is horrid and our offense has been pretty abysmal as well. Its pretty embarrassing to think that with defense in its current state that its a great game when Varlamov only lets 3 or 4 goals in.

As the season goes on we should improve pretty much everywhere and our players should develop. Having said that, I still don't think were a bubble team. This team has no identity (and hoping Varlamov goes god mode every game doesn't count).

I think the ROR situation and the injury bug are going to be plagues on our season. Fully healthy and having a developed identity that matches our skill might make us playoff contenders, without that I don't have a good feeling right now.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:24 AM
  #32
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 16,019
vCash: 500
Bubble team, as bad as our team looked last night, this team is gonna be bubble team. It's not going to be the worst team in NHL. This is actually the most horrible scenario, we are destined to finish in playoff bubble, that's like nightmare. We are not getting great prospects, just okay and never gaining any success. That's the worst situation.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:25 AM
  #33
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 16,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Up till now, I've seen a lottery team on the ice. Our defense is horrid and our offense has been pretty abysmal as well. Its pretty embarrassing to think that with defense in its current state that its a great game when Varlamov only lets 3 or 4 goals in.

As the season goes on we should improve pretty much everywhere and our players should develop. Having said that, I still don't think were a bubble team. This team has no identity (and hoping Varlamov goes god mode every game doesn't count).

I think the ROR situation and the injury bug are going to be plagues on our season. Fully healthy and having a developed identity that matches our skill might make us playoff contenders, without that I don't have a good feeling right now.
Imagine If we actually had defense in front of Varlamov? He could make some noise in this league, but behind this ****ing horrible defense, no one can survive.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
  #34
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 500
We'll finish 11 in the WC...20 in the league. Get the #11 pick. Lottery winner will bump us back to #12 pick.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:41 AM
  #35
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 16,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
We'll finish 11 in the WC...20 in the league. Get the #11 pick. Lottery winner will bump us back to #12 pick.
Most likely case yes.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
  #36
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
We'll finish 11 in the WC...20 in the league. Get the #11 pick. Lottery winner will bump us back to #12 pick.
If that's the best we can do, we need to just tank it and get another guy to add to our team. Jones, Drouin, Barkov... any of them would help.

But really, the biggest problem at the moment is Sacco. Our team was a collection of individuals last night. Guys couldn't hit eachother's sticks with a pass to save their life. We were clearing it up the boards like a peewee hockey team.

Last season there were some of us clamoring for Carlyle. Look what's he doing in Toronto, building an actual team even if they aren't the best collection of players to win with.

Sacco played our #1 defender 21 minutes last night. How can we win if scrubs like Hunwick get 20, SOB and Zanon get 18? Wilson got almost 24!

If we're out of the playoff race come the deadline, we need to move as many veterans as possible and revert back to the 08/09 Avs that had a bunch of rookies with heart.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
  #37
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Alright, here is the progression (or should I say regression) of my hopes for this season:

During lockout: with all players signed and healthy, I definitely expected the Avs to be a 7-8 seed in the playoffs

First few games of season: with the ever-so delightful holdout of O'Reilly, I quickly began to think the Avs would not quite make it in, ending with as 9-10 in the West

Now: no O'Reilly, no Downie, and possibly no Landeskog - eesh. I would not be shocked (and frankly, expect) to see the Avs finish in the bottom 3 out West.

Nice and optimistic post this am, eh? Sorry everyone, you know how optimistic I like to be, but man... there is no depth!

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:32 AM
  #38
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Nice and optimistic post this am, eh? Sorry everyone, you know how optimistic I like to be, but man... there is no depth!
I feel the same way. Usually I hate people crapping on our team, but there is nothing to feel good about right now. Varly can only do so much in net.

Fire Sacco and let's see what another coach can do with half a season.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
  #39
marioni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
- our best line from last year Lando-Radar-Downie not playing
- our defense being EJ + bunch of bottom pairing dmen (if they're lucky!)
- after last nights depressing performance...
- Sacco

Right now we're looking at a very high pick.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:43 AM
  #40
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I feel the same way. Usually I hate people crapping on our team, but there is nothing to feel good about right now. Varly can only do so much in net.

Fire Sacco and let's see what another coach can do with half a season.
That and a massive overhaul on D. Honestly, the only guys I would like to keep right now are EJ, Wilson, and O'Byrne (minus prospects, team - I am not that pessimistic!).

However, I'm thinking at this point firing Sacco mid-season would be too much of a change during a shortened season. Have Sacco ride out the rest of the schedule and let him go over the Summer.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:55 AM
  #41
Drizzt1
Registered User
 
Drizzt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Joe Sacco is doing the best possible job he can with the tools that have been made available to him. Quenneville couldn't get it done. Granato couldn't get it done. Sacco isn't getting it done. Are people so sure (I love these lofty predictions) that a NEW coach will turn the culture of our club around?

It's the dynamics of the team people. It has been horribly assembled. Due to what I believe to be budget restraints, Sherman tears a hole in one need of the team, to create an asset somewhere else.

Have people seen how motivated players are when they believe the front office want to invest in their product, and want success at any cost? Imagine what our players think?

Said it all season. We have the worst defense by some in the entire NHL. We lack quality finishers and wingers. We have 4th line centers, playing 3rd line positions. We have 3rd line wingers playing on the top 2 lines. We have number 4,5 & 6 D-men pairing with Johnson.

The ONLY place this team is solid, is in goal.

IN my opinion, the saddest part about this, is the team needs to hit the flush button, and start all over again. That means another re-build that takes another 4-5 years. I've lost any sense of attachment to the players now, so I'd be happy with any of the players being replaced with young guys like Sgarbossa.

We will end up acquiring a top three pick this year. I can see Columbus, us, and maybe The Lames being the bottom three.

Hopefully, in a few years, we'll look back at this team, at this time, and just laugh.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  #42
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Hopefully, in a few years, we'll look back at this team, at this time, and just laugh.
I can laugh at this team now...

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
  #43
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
This is a playoff team IMO. Well, a team that is built for the playoffs. If they get there, they will advance. Book that.

I don't feel they're a bubble team. They'll either be in or out long before the "bubble" period.
To get into the playoffs with defence made mostly of journeymans would be great accomplishment.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:01 AM
  #44
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
That and a massive overhaul on D. Honestly, the only guys I would like to keep right now are EJ, Wilson, and O'Byrne (minus prospects, team - I am not that pessimistic!).

However, I'm thinking at this point firing Sacco mid-season would be too much of a change during a shortened season. Have Sacco ride out the rest of the schedule and let him go over the Summer.
I disagree. A new coach needs the time to settle into the role and get the team playing his style. We also need to evaluate the team under the new coach to make decisions with guys like Stastny and our defense.

If Sacco doesn't go before the season is over, I don't expect a whole lot to be different next season either. He's just not the man for our team and the longer it takes Sherman to realize that the more damage he does and the more he hurts his own career.

GMs usually only get one coach before they are put in the hot seat, but Sacco has been here as long as any coach in franchise history. I was to keep Sherman personally, I like his style. But he's too loyal to Sacco.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:13 AM
  #45
finds71
Registered User
 
finds71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Country: France
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I disagree. A new coach needs the time to settle into the role and get the team playing his style. We also need to evaluate the team under the new coach to make decisions with guys like Stastny and our defense.

If Sacco doesn't go before the season is over, I don't expect a whole lot to be different next season either. He's just not the man for our team and the longer it takes Sherman to realize that the more damage he does and the more he hurts his own career.

GMs usually only get one coach before they are put in the hot seat, but Sacco has been here as long as any coach in franchise history. I was to keep Sherman personally, I like his style. But he's too loyal to Sacco.
The team needs a good coach with a SYSTEM. Look at what happened to St-Louis when they got Hitchcock... of course St-Louis as a better team but still....
With all the young guys in the team and the other ones coming soon, we need to develop them within a good system. With Sacco we will never develop a winning team.

finds71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
  #46
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 500
Before the season started, with Downie & Lando healthy and RoR SIGNED, I went on record and said 'Bubble Team'. A team cannot lose it's top line and still be the same. We're cooked.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
  #47
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
The team needs a good coach with a SYSTEM. Look at what happened to St-Louis when they got Hitchcock... of course St-Louis as a better team but still....
With all the young guys in the team and the other ones coming soon, we need to develop them within a good system. With Sacco we will never develop a winning team.
Well to be fair, getting the puck in deep, trying to regain possession and then feeding it back to the point for a low-percentage shot on net, IS a type of system (I guess), it's just not a very good one.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:09 AM
  #48
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
For as terrible as we've looked the past two games we've looked pretty awesome 5on5 over the first 5 games. If Landy's not down for the year, Radar's back at some point, and we can not go to the box every other shift, this team could totally make the playoffs. Granted we are the avs, that's not going to happen, and we're gunna tank for Jones, but the pieces for so much more are there.


Last edited by cgf: 01-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.
cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 AM
  #49
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Before the season started, with Downie & Lando healthy and RoR SIGNED, I went on record and said 'Bubble Team'. A team cannot lose it's top line and still be the same. We're cooked.
Agreed.

The top line that provided so much offense, jam, intensity, and DEFENSIVE INTELLIGENCE, is completely gone. Sure, we have a healthy Duchene and PAP, but that's not enough.

We are done like dinner. Tank, tank, tank.

TwoPadStack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
  #50
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Agreed.

The top line that provided so much offense, jam, intensity, and DEFENSIVE INTELLIGENCE, is completely gone. Sure, we have a healthy Duchene and PAP, but that's not enough.

We are done like dinner. Tank, tank, tank.
I've said it before... We lost out on Seguin/Hall by over achieving in 2009, without that we would not have Landeskog so 'fine'. But this team needs at least one more top 5 pick.

We cannot get both a top pairing defender and a top line winger by trading one of our centers. We can only trade for one of those guys...

I've also been a huge defender of Stastny over the last couple of years, but I am so done with him. Hes gotten too comfortable and it's obvious. Even with O'Reilly holding out, I hope they sign him and trade Stastny at this point. That is the first time I've said that...

On a positive note... McGinn - Duchene- Parenteau looked good as a line. That line, Varly, EJ, and Wilson were our only bright spots on the team. One line and one defensive pairing isn't enough. Also anyone who blames any of our losses on Varly at all, didn't watch the games. I haven't seen our defense be so weak in front of the net, and let our goalie hang out to dry this badly. Pathetic...

Jones needs to be traded like yesterday, and with a vengeance. Hopefully someone will give us a 1st for him at the deadline.


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 01-29-2013 at 10:46 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.