HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 13 Dynasty Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Tak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
Man, that's tough. Are we allowed to create threads just for our dynasties? I'd love to follow this more closely, I've always wanted to see if someone could turn Columbus into a winner.
Keeping it in here is better than starting your own thread.

More views. Plus someone like me, who skims through several pages at a time, loves being able to read a bunch of different dynasties and follow them all int he comfort of a single thread.

Just do something unique so that yours stands out - use logos, or unique text, etc.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Anyone know any good trades for Lundqvist? I have Cory Schneider and Markstrom ready to take over.

I was trying to get a deal around Lundqvist and Girardi for Pietrangelo.

Anyone know any good deals around those two players or just Lundqvist?

Not looking for anything, really. Maybe a second line RW and a top 4 d-man, unless I keep Girardi, which then I would just take a number 5-6 d-man.
About 4 or 5 years into my Be a GM, I packaged Lundqvist and a defensive prospect (Dylan McIlrath) to Boston for Tyler Seguin. I might have added a dud prospect that Boston wanted too (I want to say Ludvig Bystrom?), but I can't remember. It wasn't much more than Lundvist + McIlrath + low value for Seguin.

If you are looking to shop a specific player, especially with no specific return in mind, then go to trade player, put Lundqvist down on your side of the ledger, and then skim through all the teams, paying attention to the particular teams that turn Lundqvist's name green (they are interested).

Then search through those teams and have a look. Generally if they want the player, they are willing to give up someone they aren't comfortable trading (white trade). That's how I got the Seguin deal done.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Anyone know how to maximize scoring? I sim all games, in the 2020 season and no one has scored more then 100 points yet.
Compliment your lines.

It took me about 7 years into my Be a GM dynasty to figure it out. But now I've got one of the best lines in the game.

The line is Sami Engrem (draft pick- sniper) - Tyler Seguin (great playmaker) - Chris Kurtz (draft pick - sniper).

Engrem = 5-star offense, with 90s on his shot.

Seguin = 5-star offense, with high 90 puck skills.

Kurtz = a sniper, but while his shot is average, his passing and puck skills are all 99.

Put together, all 3 players have put up 100 point seasons consistently for I think 4 straight years now.

My second line:

Bobby Ryan - MacKinnon - Erne (draft pick).

Also put up 80-90 points a season. They work because they all compliment each other nicely - great balance of GREAT SHOT, GREAT PASSING, and GREAT PUCK SKILLS.

If you can setup a line like that, you are looking at putting up goals.

I've done my top 3 lines like that, and I normaly finish top in scoring every year by a good 25-30 goals. It's not close normally.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
For those interested just started up my own GM League, im going to be running it very active and keeping it up to date

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335869

Old
01-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I'm new to this section of the boards so sorry if my questions have already been asked and answered.
Alright man - going to do my best to help you.

Quote:

I wanted to ask for some general advice on how players usually develop. I'm in my third Be A GM season now and I'm playing every game myself and not simming anything, so it all moves along sloooooowly and I don't want to waste any time trying to develop players there is actually no hope for. It's a real pain to try and google this stuff though so I'm asking here...
No worries - right place to ask questions. Very friendly community.

Quote:
1. First of all, how do 2 1/2 star players usually develop? I know probably none of them will become good NHLers, but where do they usually top out, given that they are drafted with a normal Overall-Skill like around 60. As it probably is for most people my Prospect-Pool if full of those players who were drafted in the later Rounds. I've given up on 2 star players but what about the 2 1/2 star guys? And is there a general rule of thumb for other star ratings as well (3, 3,5, 4 etc)?
Prospects grow based on 2-rule system. The "star system" and the "color system".

The star system = the obvious one; the number stars relates to how good they will be. 5-star = great, 2.5 and less = non-NHLers.

The color system = accuracy. Along with stars, players are assigned colors to the potential stars. Star colors can be either:

Green = high accuracy that the player will reach the indicated potential.

Gold = Medium accuracy that a player will reach the indicated potential.

Red = Low accuracy that a player will reach the indicated potential.

As far as ratings go.. the general rule of thumb is that:

3.5 star = 4th line, or bottom 6 pairing. Depth guys(high 70s-low 80s)

4 star = 2nd or 3rd line, or top 6 Dman. (mid 80s)

4.5 star = 1st line, or top 4 Dman. (83-88ish). Green 5-star = superstars

5 star = 1st line, top 2 Dman. (88-90ish). Green 5-star = superstars.

Anything below 3.5 star is pretty much a long shot, unless they are green 3 stars. At least that's my experience.

Quote:
2. What role does green/red potential play? Does it just display the likelihood a player reaches his potential, does it have an influence on development speed or does it basically increase/decrease the star-rating? I currently have a few players with green potential (1x4 stars, 1x3,5, 1x3) and one with red potential (3,5 stars) and haven't noticed much difference in their development speed so far.
Explained above, but it pretty much is the likelihood that a player reaches his potential.

A couple of real-life examples.

Nazem Kadri, Toronto Maple Leafs - very gifted offensive player, weak defensively. Looks like he could develop into a solid NHLer without ever being a top line guy. Probably 4-star potential, but lots of question marks about him means he's probably 4-star gold.

Nail Yakupov, Edmonton Oilers - extremely talented offensive player, has great vision and a great shot. Super energetic. Looks like someone who will put up a lot of points in the NHL, and will only become harder to contain.

Probably a 4.5 star potential, but seeing how talented he is, probably 4.5-star green.

Most of the players in the game that you will find, are gold. That means that there is a good chance that he will reach potential. Lots of factors in play though as to whether or not he does.

Quote:
3. Does it make a difference if you develop a player in the NHL/AHL/CHL/Europe? For example is it better to give someone an extra year in Juniors or have him play Bottom-Six in the AHL? I haven't really been able to recognize a patter there so far. I've seen Grigorenko jump from 64 to 71 and then from 71 to 75 while in Juniors (I'm using an older File where he only has 3 1/2 stars). Another Junior (Tyler King, 3 1/2 Stars) jumped from 66 to 76 in just one season as well while playing in Juniors. On the other hand many of my Prospects, especially the one in the 57-65 range (most of them with 2 1/2 stars) have only progressed very slowly, just gaining a point or two a season. Is it just because of the stars? Or do players with good skills like 65+ usually develop great in Juniors but those with a lower Overall rating never get out of the cellar?

And what about the AHL, where I can actually control playing time via the lines. I've seen Rasmus Ristolainen (3 1/2 stars, signed as an 18 year old immediately after the Draft) jump from 70 to 79 in one season after spending his first year on the top-pairing. Other players with similar or better star ratings (Pysyk and Armia with 4, some other with 3 1/2 or 3), who had lower Overall-Skills though (around 65) and therefore played smaller minutes have developed much slower so far though, only gaining about 2-4 points each season. Does so much depend on playing time? Or is this just a coincidence.
Quick note - you can't decide whether a player goes to junior or AHL. A player is not allowed to go to the AHL if they are still eligible for junior hockey (normally the case until they are 20 years old). Once they turn 20, you can keep them in your AHL team.

Rule #1 of developing prospects? LET THEM PLAY!

Especially at the young, early ages (18-24).

As for juniors - unless a player can go straight into your team and play top minutes, send him back to junior (ie. don't keep them up playing on your 4th line, at 7 minutes a game, etc). See Morgan Reilly - first year needs to play in junior. Second year, can fit into your top 4 (low 80s). If you can't, then send him down again and wait until you have room (will come back as an 83 or 84).

NHL experience is always more valuable than AHL experience, but consider the minutes your prospect is playing. Your prospect is likely better playing 20+ minutes in the AHL, than playing 9 in the NHL on your fourth line.

Rule #2 of developing prospects - just because a player's overall doesn't appear to change, doesn't mean prospect isn't improving.

Keep an eye on your prospect's stats. Even if you don't have the memory for it, keep an eye on the star-system for each category (is his offensive category improving by half a star? What about his puck skills? etc).

Not every single player attribute is weighted evenly. For example, a goalie's POISE is weighed HEAVILY while many of his other stats play almost no role (look at James Reimer - he's normally a low 80s goalie, but when you look at this attributes, his low poise masks what Reimer really is: an 86-88 overall goaltender).

So be able to recognize if your player is improving, even if his overall is not. You might have a prospect that is so terrible defensively, that his overall might hardly move. You won't recognize that though unless you check his attributes out, and realize that over the course of 2 years, his offensive attributes have all of a sudden gone through the roof, etc.

Rule # 3 of prospect development - try and surround your prospects with success.

In previous NHL games, you could ice all your prospects, tank, and eventually your team would become great because your prospects would grow.

That still happens in this game, but the progress time is so much slower. This time, it appears success of your team has quite a bit to do with your prospect development. So if your AHL team has a ton of prospects, try and make sure you nab a cheap FA goaltender that can backstop your team into the playoffs, for example. You'll likely notice that in years where either your NHL team or AHL team have TERRIBLE years, your prospects won't grow nearly as much as if your teams went onto playoff rounds.

Always aim to make at least one round of the playoffs with your minor league team.

Quote:
4. I guess most of the stuff above comes down to this final question: Is a players Overall Skill actually much more important than his potential in Stars? Because it kinda looks like it's almost impossible to develop players who aren't at least at 65 Overall and play big minutes right away. It seems like it's very tough to slowly bring someone in pro-shape and that you have to force-feed them big minutes instead so they develop. Is that assumption correct or is that some mistake I am making while managing the team? Or is my point of view just skewed because of all the 2 1/2 players who are actually very crappy and I just don't know it yet?
In mos cases, provided you aren't doing anything goofy (sitting a prospect out for an entire year, etc), your prospects will reach their potential (or get close) as long as you are playing them.

The trick is to be patient.

Perfect example - 2015 draft, I drafted Connor McDavid. 4.5-star, but a horrendous 51 overall. But I gave him top 2 line minutes in the AHL for about 5 years. At 24, he was 69 overall. Horrible. But once he got to 25, he jumped to a 79 overall (even though his offensive and senses attributes are all 90s). Another year, and he might be a star. At the very least, he's NHL ready now.

Be patient with your prospects, and make sure they are put into positions where they can succeed, and they will.

Quote:
5. And to end it all, I'd like for your thoughts on some prospects. Are they actually worth developing or should I try to trade them?

- Nathan Pancel (20 years, 4 stars green, 57 Overall, just drafted, in Juniors)
- A bunch of pretty similar players (18-20 years, 3 1/2 years, all around the 57-62 Overall range, just drafted, in Juniors)
- Brett Connolly (22 years, 4 stars, 76 Overall, traded for and currently in the AHL)
- Joel Armia/Mark Pysyk (21/22 years, 4 stars, 68/69 Overall, played in the AHL for one/two years but have developed pretty slowly so far)
- Geoffrey Spencer (20 years, 3 1/2 Stars, 69 Overall, just drafted and signed to an AHL-contract)
- Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (22 years, 3 1/2 Stars Red, 64 Overall, starts his 2nd year in the AHL)
- Zemgus Girgensons (20 years, 3 Stars Green, 68 Overall, played two years in the AHL but has developed slowly so far, created manually since he didn't exist in the original file)
- Ken Appleby (Goalie, 19 Years, 3 1/2 Stars, 56 Overall, drafted a season ago at 52 Overall, in Juniors)
- Nathan Lieuwen (Goalie, 23 Years, 3 Stars, 67 Overall, starts his 2nd AHL-season)

Thanks in advance, I know it's a pretty long post
I didn't look through all of your prospect list.

What I will say, is that if they are 3.5 star or better, sign them up and develop them.

Two things will happen.

a) You will a nice source of cheap talent that you can use to fill out your NHL roster (anywhere between high 70s-low 80 overall for 3.5 star.

b) if you can't use them, at least what you've done is you've developed a young asset that you can now trade. While they don't have the GREATEST trade value, prospects can be used in all sorts of creative ways in trades. Can be traded for 2nd round picks, or packaged for a 1st round pick, or packaged with a marquee player to land a super star, etc. Even if you don't intend to use a prospect, develop him and then use him as his trade value increases. It's a great way to make trades, and means that you don't have to give up anything major off your roster.

Hope that helps man.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:43 AM
The Right Price

Code:
2012-09-29   MTL signed free agent OSKAR OSALA to a 2 year contract

2012-10-11   OPENING NIGHT ROSTER
             F1 Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
             F2 Gionta(C)-Plekanec-Bourque
             F3 Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Prust
             F4 Moen-White-Armstrong
             D1 Markov(A)-Subban
             D2 Kaberle-Gorges(A)
             D3 Emelin-Diaz
             SG Price
             BG Budaj
             IR Bouillon, Eller, Nokelainen

2012-10-11   SENATORS @ CANADIENS 1-3
             1st Star Erik Cole 3+0

2012-10-13   CANADIENS @ MAPLE LEAFS 2-4
             1st Star James Van Riemsdyk 2+0

2012-10-16   BRUINS @ CANADIENS 2-9
             1st Star Max Pacioretty 2+1

2012-10-18   CANADIENS @ BRUINS 1-2
             1st Star Tim Thomas .962 SV%

2012-10-20   CAPITALS @ CANADIENS 1-2 OT
             1st Star Carey Price .962 SV%

2012-10-20   MTL D P.K. SUBBAN will be injured for the next 8 weeks

2012-10-23   CANADIENS @ WILD 3-2 OT
             1st Star Peter Budaj .949 SV%

2012-10-25   FLYERS @ CANADIENS 0-6
             1st Star Max Pacioretty 2+0

2012-10-27   DUCKS @ CANADIENS 1-2
             1st Star Carey Price .963 SV%

2012-10-27   MTL LW ERIK COLE will be injured for the next 8-9 weeks

2012-10-30   CANADIENS @ FLAMES 2-4
             1st Star Matt Stajan 1+1

CANADIENS Record after October 6-3-0

2012-11-01   CANADIENS @ OILERS 1-3
             1st Star Linus Omark 2+0

2012-11-01   MTL D ALEXEI EMELIN will be injured for a week or so

2012-11-02   MTL called up D JARRED TINORDI from HAM

2012-11-03   CANADIENS @ CANUCKS 7-3
             1st Star Alex Galchenyuk 2+1

2012-11-05   MTL sent down D JARRED TINORDI to HAM

2012-11-06   COYOTES @ CANDIENS 1-5
             1st Star Rene Bourque 2+1

2012-11-08   JETS @ CANADIENS 1-3
             1st Star Carey Price .972 SV%

2012-11-10   RANGERS @ CANADIENS 3-1
             1st Star Ryan Callahan 1+2

2012-11-11   MTL called up D JARRED TINORDI from HAM

2012-11-13   FLAMES @ CANADIENS 2-3
             1st Star Alex Galchenyuk 1+1

2012-11-14   MTL sent down D JARRED TINORDI to HAM

2012-11-14   MTL acquired RW COLTON SCEVIOUR from DAL
             DAL acquired D YANNICK WEBER from MTL

2012-11-15   CANADIENS @ JETS 0-2
             1st Star Ondrej Pavelec 1.00 SV%

2012-11-17   CANADIENS @ AVALANCHE 4-1
             1st Star Carey Price .966 SV%

2012-11-19   PREDATORS @ CANADIENS 3-4 SO
             1st Star Tomas Plekanec 1+1

2012-11-20   CANADIENS @ DEVILS 1-3
             1st Star Patrik Elias 1+2

2012-11-24   CANUCKS @ CANADIENS 4-3 OT
             1st Star Ryan Kesler 1+1

2012-11-24   MTL RW BRIAN GIONTA will be injured for a week or so

2012-11-25   MTL called up C LOUIS LEBLANC from HAM

2012-11-27   LIGHTNING @ CANADIENS 2-6
             1st Star Rene Bourque 2+1

2012-11-29   MTL sent down C LOUIS LEBLANC to HAM

CANADIENS Record after November 13-7-1

2012-12-01   MAPLE LEAFS @ CANADIENS 2-5
             1st Star Tomas Kaberle 1+2

2012-12-02   CANADIENS @ BLUE JACKETS 3-2
             1st Star David Desharnais 2+0

2012-12-04   BLACKHAWKS @ CANADIENS 1-4
             1st Star Carey Price .971 SV%

2012-12-06   CANADIENS @ SABRES 4-2
             1st Star Carey Price .944 SV%

2012-12-08   SABRES @ CANADIENS 3-8
             1st Star Josh Gorges 1+2

2012-12-08   MTL D ANDREI MARKOV will be injured for the next 3 weeks

2012-12-09   MTL called up D JARRED TINORDI from HAM

2012-12-10   HURRICANES @ CANADIENS 3-1
             1st Star Tuomo Ruutu 2+1

2012-12-12   CANADIENS @ RANGERS 0-3
             1st Star Henrik Lundqvist 1.00 SV%

2012-12-13   KINS @ CANADIENS 4-3 SO
             1st Star Rene Bourque 2+0

2012-12-14   MTL sent down D JARRED TINORDI to HAM

2012-12-15   CANADIENS @ SABRES 1-4
             1st Star Mikhail Grigorenko 2+1

2012-12-15   MTL C TOMAS PLEKANEC will be injured and is considered 'day to day'

2012-12-17   SABRES @ CANADIENS 1-4
             1st Star Carey Price .966 SV%

2012-12-19   CANADIENS @ SENATORS 2-5
             1st Star Guillaume Latendresse 1+3

2012-12-20   CANADIENS @ CAPITALS 4-6
             1st Star Marcus Johansson 2+1

2012-12-22   CANADIENS @ MAPLE LEAFS 3-2
             1st Star Erik Cole 1+2

2012-12-27   CANADIENS @ LIGHTNING 3-2
             1st Star Rene Bourque 2+0

2012-12-28   CANDIENS @ PANTHERS 3-2
             1st Star Brandon Prust 2+0

2012-12-31   CANADIENS @ HURRICANES 3-4
             1st Star Eric Staal 1+0

2012-12-31   MTL C TOMAS PLEKANEC will be injured for the next 2 to 3 months

CANADIENS Record after December 22-13-2

2013-01-03   DEVILS @ CANADIENS 1-0
             1st Star Martin Brodeur 1.00 SV%

2013-01-05   MAPLE LEAFS @ CANADIENS 2-6
             1st Star Travis Moen 2+0

2013-01-05   MTL D RAPHAEL DIAZ will be injured for the next 2 weeks

2013-01-08   PANTHERS @ CANADIENS 2-3 SO
             1st Star Carey Price .946 SV%

2013-01-08   MTL D JOSH GORGES will be injured and is considered 'day to day'

2013-01-10   CANADIENS @ FLYERS 3-2
             1st Star Max Pacioretty 1+1

2013-01-10   MTL C DAVID DESHARNAIS will be injured for a week or so

Old
01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
(Not gonna quote it all)
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, it's very appreciated . A few follow-up questions:

Quote:
As far as ratings go.. the general rule of thumb is that:

3.5 star = 4th line, or bottom 6 pairing. Depth guys(high 70s-low 80s)

4 star = 2nd or 3rd line, or top 6 Dman. (mid 80s)

4.5 star = 1st line, or top 4 Dman. (83-88ish). Green 5-star = superstars

5 star = 1st line, top 2 Dman. (88-90ish). Green 5-star = superstars.

Anything below 3.5 star is pretty much a long shot, unless they are green 3 stars. At least that's my experience.
Do 2 1/2 star-players at least become decent AHLers or are they not worth developing at all? I find it incredibly tough to find anything better than 3 1/2 stars in the draft btw. unless you have a Top-5-pick.

Quote:
Quick note - you can't decide whether a player goes to junior or AHL. A player is not allowed to go to the AHL if they are still eligible for junior hockey (normally the case until they are 20 years old). Once they turn 20, you can keep them in your AHL team.
I know, I meant for players of 20 years or older, whose skills aren't good enough yet to play a significant-role in the AHL (So the guys with Skills around 60).

Quote:
Rule #2 of developing prospects - just because a player's overall doesn't appear to change, doesn't mean prospect isn't improving.

Keep an eye on your prospect's stats. Even if you don't have the memory for it, keep an eye on the star-system for each category (is his offensive category improving by half a star? What about his puck skills? etc).

Not every single player attribute is weighted evenly. For example, a goalie's POISE is weighed HEAVILY while many of his other stats play almost no role (look at James Reimer - he's normally a low 80s goalie, but when you look at this attributes, his low poise masks what Reimer really is: an 86-88 overall goaltender).

So be able to recognize if your player is improving, even if his overall is not. You might have a prospect that is so terrible defensively, that his overall might hardly move. You won't recognize that though unless you check his attributes out, and realize that over the course of 2 years, his offensive attributes have all of a sudden gone through the roof, etc.
Do you know where I can find a list of how the attributes are weighted for the Overall-rating? I know the Overall is just a number and since I play all the games myself I usually know which player "feels" ready anyway. But this is mainly about the players who are just entering the AHL whose ratings in the different categories are usually pretty low.

Quote:
I didn't look through all of your prospect list.

What I will say, is that if they are 3.5 star or better, sign them up and develop them.
So I should even sign the 3 1/2 star players with an Overall-Skill of around 60 to the AHL right away, even if they'll only play in a limited role there?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on at least two of my prospects if that's possible, because I'm absolutely not sure about them:

- Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (22 years, 3 1/2 Stars Red, 64 Overall, starts his 2nd year in the AHL)

Quote:
Hope that helps man.
It does, thanks again

Old
01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Rebels Sitting Tight with 20 Games to Go

Rebels' captain John Tavares takes a shot on Jonas Hiller during practice on Monday afternoon

The Halifax Rebels (27-24-8-2, 62 P), after a big win over 9th place Carolina, have "shot" up into 6th place, with the 7th place Jets and 8th place Lightning only one point behind. With Ryan Jones (79) and Andrew MacDonald (81) returning from injury, the Rebels are feeling confident that they can stay in contention for a second consecutive play-off birth in just their 3rd season in the league.

The team has been rumoured to be shopping for an upgrade to their 2nd line, with league sources citing an interest in Buffalo's Kevin Sundher (79, 8 G, 38 A) and Pittsburgh's Brandon Sutter (82, 7 G, 17 A), but nothing has been finalized to date. Given the relative lack of depth on the Rebels roster, it seems that Rhett Rakhshani (81, 11 G, 12 A) or Jesse Joensuu (83, 15 G, 11 A) might be likely candidates if the team continues to look for an upgrade up front.

Around the League

Montreal traded Alex Galchenyuk to the Canucks for Chris Higgins, a minor leaguer, and a 3rd round draft pick. The Canucks are most likely looking to fill the void of losing the Sedins during free agency, as Vancouver is currently the worst team in the league.

Anaheim traded Bobby Ryan to the Leafs for Cody Franson.

In prior trades, Ottawa also traded Daniel Alfredsson to Minnesota and the Lightning acquired Jay Bouwmeester from Calgary.

Alex Ovechkin currently leads the league with 40 goals. and is tied for the league lead in points with 71. Malkin, who is tied with Ovechkin at 71 points, is not far behind with 35. Crosby has 31. Fun fact: Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins are on fire for Edmonton, sitting at 67 and 65 points, respectively.

Winnipeg's Alexis Loiseau (80, 3.5 stars) leads all rookies in scoring with 8 goals and 32 assists for 40 points. Philadelphia's Luke Pither (81, 3.5 stars) sits at 39. Another Calder contender is Anaheim goaltender Frederik Andersen, who has 22 wins and 20 losses with a 2.61 GAA and .914 save percentage in 49 games.

Right now, four goalies are making a strong push for the Vezina: Ryan Miller (26 W, 11 L, 1.89 GAA, .936%), Cam Ward (20 W, 15 L, 1.90 GAA, .936%), Mikka Kiprusoff (27 W, 9 L, 1.90 GAA, .937%), and James Reimer (24 W, 9 L, 1.90 GAA, .933%).

Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Tak7

Good post Vikes

Old
01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Tak7

Quote:

Do 2 1/2 star-players at least become decent AHLers or are they not worth developing at all? I find it incredibly tough to find anything better than 3 1/2 stars in the draft btw. unless you have a Top-5-pick.
While the star potential system is great and a welcome change, it pretty much renders it impossible to find late round gems in the draft the way you could with the letter-grade based potential system of previous NHL games.

2-1/2 star players do become decent AHLers - career minor leaguers, if you will. If you are just starting up your GM mode, then it's not a bad idea to keep them around on your AHL team for nothing other than roster fillers.

However, in a few seasons, with a combination of drafting well and finding 3.5 star or better prospects in free agency, you won't have a need for 2.5 star players. In a few years, your AHL team should have either 3.5 star potential players or better, and then established white star AHLers in their 70s overall.

Any 2.5 star potential player at that point, are pretty much useless to your organization, and can be traded away for 2nd round picks.

Quote:

I know, I meant for players of 20 years or older, whose skills aren't good enough yet to play a significant-role in the AHL (So the guys with Skills around 60).
If they have the potential, play them. My first line center for my AHL team for about 3 years was Connor McDavid, whose overall went from 51 to 59 to 64 overall. I'm not even sure he's fit 70 overall and it will be his 4th year in junior. BUT, he's 4.5 stars so I'm being very patient with him.

If those 20 year olds have the potential, then it's worth giving them the shot somewhere. I know a lot of other users tend to use those low overall, high potential guys on the 4th line (no ice time), but then substitute them in on the top power play lines to get them ice time, etc. That's not a bad system either, but I find that bleeding them in regardless of their overall is the best way to go.

Also - keep an eye on things like their age and the amount of time they've spent playing at different levels.

For example - a low overall 20 year old European who has spent 2 years in AHL, might be a bit of a concern as far as development goes, but a low overall 20 year old Canadian out of junior about to go into his first year of minor league hockey? Definite worth keeping hold of.

Plus - I've seen a lot of guys look like duds at 20, or 21 or 22, and then all of a sudden they have a massive boost in overall and are either NHL ready for knocking on the door at 23.

Quote:
Do you know where I can find a list of how the attributes are weighted for the Overall-rating? I know the Overall is just a number and since I play all the games myself I usually know which player "feels" ready anyway. But this is mainly about the players who are just entering the AHL whose ratings in the different categories are usually pretty low.
That information isn't available. But, having played a lot you get to know which attributes are weighed more heavily than others.

For example, goalies' "POISE" is weighed a lot, but is often an attribute that can easily be ignored (again - see James Reimer). Loosely for goalies, puck control is weighed very heavily.

For players, puck skills and physical are also weighed very heavily, and so are senses. Oddly offense and defense have a little less weight than one would think.

This plays an important role in selecting lines - My first line in one of my dynasties is all under 85 overall, but have put up 80 points each, because they have 5-star offense.

Quote:
So I should even sign the 3 1/2 star players with an Overall-Skill of around 60 to the AHL right away, even if they'll only play in a limited role there?
Prioritize potential - if there are 4-star or better players in the roster, make sure they get more ice time.

If the best you got is 3.5 (likely the case early on), then play them.

How well your AHL team does or doesn't do, has nothing to do with your judged success as a GM. BUT, having a successful AHL team that contains some young players can definitely improve the rate and odds of prospect success.

Quote:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on at least two of my prospects if that's possible, because I'm absolutely not sure about them:

Nathan Pancel - 100% keep. 4 star green = 88-90 overall. 20 years old, plus ZERO AHL time, means that he's got so much to grow. Chances are by next year that 57 overall jumps quite a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if he's 70ish.

Gauthier-Leduc - keep him too. 22 years old; does he get top line minutes? By 24, he could comfortably be a low 70s player. That means he could fill out your bottom NHL lines in the future. Or, in a year or two (23 or 24), he becomes a very good trade asset. You could even trade him now, as I bet he has some trade value. But if you wait until closer to his prime, his value goes up.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Oilers4life1987

Hey guys, can anyone tell me how these prospects develop since i recently drafted them from the 2013/2014:
Monahan
Pulock
Kujawinski
Comrie
Eric Roy
Richard Mraz

Jake Virtanen
Sam Reinhart
Patrick Koys
Dexter Weber
Mason McDonald
Duncan MacIntyre

Old
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
n00bxQb

2.5-star and 2-star TGH defensemen sometimes develop shockingly well into depth roles.

Great size, physicality, and defense. Skating is usually okay (high-70s) and offensive ability is generally passable (mid-70s for most w/ high shot power). Generally mid-70s OVR when developed with the occasional guy hitting high-70s.

2.5-star Snipers are also usually okay as 1-dimensional scorers.

I'd pass on pretty much any other player type under 3 stars.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss 3-star players. Sign them to an ELC after a couple of unsigned years and, if they're not in the 70s by the time their ELC is up, dump them. If they're in their 70s and under 25 at the time their ELC expires, there's a pretty good chance they'll get into at least the high-70s, possibly into the low-80s/mid-80s.

Last edited by n00bxQb: 01-29-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how these prospects develop since i recently drafted them from the 2013/2014:
Monahan
Pulock
Kujawinski
Comrie
Eric Roy
Richard Mraz

Jake Virtanen
Sam Reinhart
Patrick Koys
Dexter Weber
Mason McDonald
Duncan MacIntyre
I think you should just have to find out for yourself.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Monahan
Pulock
Kujawinski
Comrie
Eric Roy
Richard Mraz

Jake Virtanen
Sam Reinhart
Patrick Koys
Dexter Weber
Mason McDonald
Duncan MacIntyre
Depends on what roster you used. I'm guessing it's a newer one since you drafted Virtanen, who wasn't in the game until the CHL update.

As far as I'm aware, Pulock and Reinhart develop well with every roster. Comrie always seems to progress slowly for me, but turns out pretty well by the time he hits 25 (usually low-to-mid 80s with good athleticism, which is something some of the other goalie prospects really lack).

Old
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Monahan
Pulock
Kujawinski
Comrie
Eric Roy
Richard Mraz

Jake Virtanen
Sam Reinhart
Patrick Koys
Dexter Weber
Mason McDonald
Duncan MacIntyre
Half the fun of GM mode, is determining how players develop.

Some of the obvious names on that list (Reinhart, Monahan, Pulock) develop very well. The rest you can figure out on your own.

Note on Mason MacDonald - franchise goaltender. There's also some sort of signing glitch with him. I have him for 8 years at 1.9 million, coming off of 2 back to back Cups and 2 Conn Smythe trophies

Old
01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
2.5-star and 2-star TGH defensemen sometimes develop shockingly well into depth roles.

Great size, physicality, and defense. Skating is usually okay (high-70s) and offensive ability is generally passable (mid-70s for most w/ high shot power). Generally mid-70s OVR when developed with the occasional guy hitting high-70s.

2.5-star Snipers are also usually okay as 1-dimensional scorers.

I'd pass on pretty much any other player type under 3 stars.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss 3-star players. Sign them to an ELC after a couple of unsigned years and, if they're not in the 70s by the time their ELC is up, dump them. If they're in their 70s and under 25 at the time their ELC expires, there's a pretty good chance they'll get into at least the high-70s, possibly into the low-80s/mid-80s.
Yeah, I was going to say that you guys overload your teams to an extent. 2.5 star guys (not goalies) can and will be decent NHL players. I have had low 70's guys on my teams (Ryan Carter still centers my 4th line at 73) and they have been productive. Not likely to get more than say, 30-40 points out of a 3rd line forward with that kind of OVR, but they aren't total schlubs. Especially the ones that are on your roster initially, since you don't have to give up developmental time earlier in the game.

The point of the game is to find a roster that sims well together, and players that compliment each other. The entire roster does not have to be north of 80 OVR to have a really good team.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
glasgow26

Quote:
Rebels Sitting Tight with 20 Games to Go

Rebels' captain John Tavares takes a shot on Jonas Hiller during practice on Monday afternoon

The Halifax Rebels (27-24-8-2, 62 P), after a big win over 9th place Carolina, have "shot" up into 6th place, with the 7th place Jets and 8th place Lightning only one point behind. With Ryan Jones (79) and Andrew MacDonald (81) returning from injury, the Rebels are feeling confident that they can stay in contention for a second consecutive play-off birth in just their 3rd season in the league.

The team has been rumoured to be shopping for an upgrade to their 2nd line, with league sources citing an interest in Buffalo's Kevin Sundher (79, 8 G, 38 A) and Pittsburgh's Brandon Sutter (82, 7 G, 17 A), but nothing has been finalized to date. Given the relative lack of depth on the Rebels roster, it seems that Rhett Rakhshani (81, 11 G, 12 A) or Jesse Joensuu (83, 15 G, 11 A) might be likely candidates if the team continues to look for an upgrade up front.

Around the League

Montreal traded Alex Galchenyuk to the Canucks for Chris Higgins, a minor leaguer, and a 3rd round draft pick. The Canucks are most likely looking to fill the void of losing the Sedins during free agency, as Vancouver is currently the worst team in the league.

Anaheim traded Bobby Ryan to the Leafs for Cody Franson.

In prior trades, Ottawa also traded Daniel Alfredsson to Minnesota and the Lightning acquired Jay Bouwmeester from Calgary.

Alex Ovechkin currently leads the league with 40 goals. and is tied for the league lead in points with 71. Malkin, who is tied with Ovechkin at 71 points, is not far behind with 35. Crosby has 31. Fun fact: Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins are on fire for Edmonton, sitting at 67 and 65 points, respectively.

Winnipeg's Alexis Loiseau (80, 3.5 stars) leads all rookies in scoring with 8 goals and 32 assists for 40 points. Philadelphia's Luke Pither (81, 3.5 stars) sits at 39. Another Calder contender is Anaheim goaltender Frederik Andersen, who has 22 wins and 20 losses with a 2.61 GAA and .914 save percentage in 49 games.

Right now, four goalies are making a strong push for the Vezina: Ryan Miller (26 W, 11 L, 1.89 GAA, .936%), Cam Ward (20 W, 15 L, 1.90 GAA, .936%), Mikka Kiprusoff (27 W, 9 L, 1.90 GAA, .937%), and James Reimer (24 W, 9 L, 1.90 GAA, .933%).
Nice write-up. But wow EA, Ryan for Franson? Galchenyuk for scraps? How can they claim to have fixed the GM AI and then let atrocious trades like these still happen.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Nice write-up. But wow EA, Ryan for Franson? Galchenyuk for scraps? How can they claim to have fixed the GM AI and then let atrocious trades like these still happen.
The Galchenyuk trade in particular blew my mind, although I suppose there's still a (remote) chance he doesn't work out. He's at a 69 and still developing, but I think you're spot on: some very bad GM logic. The minor leaguer has about as much trade value as the draft pick, and I think when I checked, Higgins doesn't even show up in the first screen when I sort their roster by trade value.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Quote:
The Galchenyuk trade in particular blew my mind, although I suppose there's still a (remote) chance he doesn't work out. He's at a 69 and still developing, but I think you're spot on: some very bad GM logic. The minor leaguer has about as much trade value as the draft pick, and I think when I checked, Higgins doesn't even show up in the first screen when I sort their roster by trade value.
If you think that's bad, I managed to snag Galchenyuk for Boyd Gordon and a 3rd. I felt really guilty about it after though.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
If you think that's bad, I managed to snag Galchenyuk for Boyd Gordon and a 3rd. I felt really guilty about it after though.
Maybe I should try as well, offer them half of a corned beef sandwich or something?

Old
01-29-2013, 07:54 PM
glasgow26

Started up a Minnesota Wild GM. These were my lines at the start of the season:

Zach Parise - Mikko Koivu - Dany Heatley
Mikael Granlund - Matt Cullen - Devin Setoguchi
PM Bouchard - Kyle Brodziak - Cal Clutterbuck
Darroll Powe - Zenon Konopka - Torrey Mitchell

Ryan Suter - Jared Spurgeon
Clayton Stoner - Tom Gilbert
Nate Prosser - Justin Faulk

Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding

Simmed 20 games and had a record of 8-10-2. I didn't like the look of my defense so I made a trade...

To St. Louis:
C Pierre-Marc Bouchard
D Jared Spurgeon
2013 2nd round pick

To Minnesota:
D Kevin Shattenkirk

I also wanted another top-six center, so I made a blockbuster trade...

To Anaheim:
C Zack Phillips
LW Brett Bulmer
D Tyler Cuma
2014 3rd round pick

To Minnesota:
C Ryan Getzlaf

New lines after the trades:

Zach Parise - Ryan Getzlaf - Dany Heatley
Mikael Granlund - Mikko Koivu - Devin Setoguchi
Kyle Brodziak - Matt Cullen - Cal Clutterbuck
Darroll Powe - Zenon Konopka - Torrey Mitchell

Ryan Suter - Kevin Shattenkirk
Clayton Stoner - Tom Gilbert
Nate Prosser - Justin Faulk

Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding

Very happy with my top six forwards and my top defense pairing, but I'd like to improve my bottom six and my third defense pairing.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
About 4 or 5 years into my Be a GM, I packaged Lundqvist and a defensive prospect (Dylan McIlrath) to Boston for Tyler Seguin. I might have added a dud prospect that Boston wanted too (I want to say Ludvig Bystrom?), but I can't remember. It wasn't much more than Lundvist + McIlrath + low value for Seguin.

If you are looking to shop a specific player, especially with no specific return in mind, then go to trade player, put Lundqvist down on your side of the ledger, and then skim through all the teams, paying attention to the particular teams that turn Lundqvist's name green (they are interested).

Then search through those teams and have a look. Generally if they want the player, they are willing to give up someone they aren't comfortable trading (white trade). That's how I got the Seguin deal done.
Nice.

I usually do that. I skim through, check their rosters and see if there is anything interesting.

Anyways, Ive got a trade here.

(NYR-CBJ):
Lundqvist, 1st, 2nd for John Morrissey (dont know if CBJ drafted him or if he was already there, but he's 19 and has 4.5 stars in potential which are yellow)

Should I do it?

Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Lundqvist, your first and second round picks, for a guy whose stars show a decent, but not guaranteed, shot that he'll hit that ceiling?

Seems a steep price, unless Lundqvist's trade value has gone down.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Lundqvist, your first and second round picks, for a guy whose stars show a decent, but not guaranteed, shot that he'll hit that ceiling?

Seems a steep price, unless Lundqvist's trade value has gone down.
I tried for just Lundqvist and a first, but they denied it. I tried a bunch a scrubs, didnt work. Tried a couple of thirds, didnt work. So I just added the second and it worked. Im going to take a shot on this deal. I have Cory Schneider waiting along with Markstrom. So, I didnt really need Lundqvist.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Nice.

I usually do that. I skim through, check their rosters and see if there is anything interesting.

Anyways, Ive got a trade here.

(NYR-CBJ):
Lundqvist, 1st, 2nd for John Morrissey (dont know if CBJ drafted him or if he was already there, but he's 19 and has 4.5 stars in potential which are yellow)

Should I do it?
I'm not going to lie - everyone has their favorite players and prospects that they like going after. Morrissey is my guy. He's the one I almost always try and go after. Develops into a real nice offensive Dman.

The good thing is you are getting him early at 19, so he hasn't wasted a few years with stinted growth elsewhere.

The price (Elite goalie, 1st, 2nd) is pretty steep just for one prospect, especially if it's not a franchise prospect (Morrissey gets to 86-88 overall - I've only seen him get 90 overall once). I would try and see if you can get something back.

If not, ultimately make that deal ONLY if you can recuperate at least the 2nd round pick somewhere else in the roster if need be. That's normally how to value draft picks in a trade - if you can recover it in another trade down the line, then go ahead and do it.

ALSO - Make sure you are convinced about Markstrom and Schneider as well. I've seen GMs where Schneider and Markstrom don't develop at all. Schneider was 83 OA ceiling in my recent GM. Markstrom didn't do well either, although I think he had someone else playing ahead of him

Closed Thread