HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
I don't think Halischuk is a top 6 forward. Nor do I think Bourque is. I think Halischuck is a bottom six talent and there is nothing wrong with that as being a great pk guy and being able to check top lines is just as important as filling up the other side of the statsheet. Bourque I think is in the same boat, but his speed will allow him to not embarrass himself in a limited 2nd line role. Smith, no clue. Talent is there. But can he put it together. I think we are a top 30 center away from having a dangerous top 6, as Erat and Wilson are top line talents. One proven, one Proving it and hopefully continues to grow and mature. Legwand is fine as a number 2 center, and we know he can pile up points when paired with guys that match his speed (but when do the wheels go?) Bourque, Smith, Hornquist, Smith, sk are all capable, or at least can play a bit on the wings. But having a decent (top 30) center on the team bumps fisher to a checking role where he is suited to be right now. Dynamic would be totally different with him bewteen spaling and bourque or halischuk.

I guess the question is, can Poile find that center in a trade? (we are heading down a dangerous path trading draft picks right now) Or is the answer in house Wilson? Smith?

i would love to try and sign clowe.

Clowe-Wilson-Erat
Smith-Legwand-Hornquist/Bourque
SK-Fisher-Bourque/Hornquist
Halischuk-Gaustad-Spaling

That is a pretty darn good forward core, but we are waiting and wishing and banking on Smith and Wilson to mature.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
sorry Im picking your post to respond to because other people have said it too, but buying out Gaustad would be just plain stupid. It would be a colossal waste of $10 million dollars and we would then have to pay someone else to play in his place.

some of you that throw around buyouts as a solid idea seem to not realize that the Preds biggest issue isnt cap space its actual cash..... we arent gonna be within 3 mil of the cap even when it drops next season so paying Gaustad not to play is just not gonna happen.
would be nice to move him at the deadline this year if we are serious about getting rid of him. He fetched a 1st as a UFA. Should be able to get the same with a multi year deal from an east team that needs a vet and a faceoff guy.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Frankly, this year's UFA class was pretty pathetic. Next year's is substantially better and we should be able to make better moves.
This has been said by every fanbase for the last 40 years. The pending UFA class always looks better than the previous one because none of the players have been re-signed yet and no one has been overpaid yet. Come mid-July the 2013 UFA class will look a lot like most of the previous ones.

Yes, you have to overpay in free agency, but that doesn't mean that you're giving a 4th liner a $10M contract. And if you go back and look at a lot of previous free agent markets, deals that were seen as overpayment 5 years ago are now in line with market value or even slightly below.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i would love to try and sign clowe.
That would make me very happy

Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Broom of the System

Clowe should probably be at the top of the priority list for us if he makes it to UFA. Trotz insists on having a fighter/pest type on the roster and in Clowe you get a big body pest that will throw the body, fight AND he can contribute on offense. He would be fantastic on the Preds, IMO, and he shouldn't make an outrageous amount of money.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
cleangene

Do you think AK shows up to watch tonight's game. It should be over in plenty of time before his "night out " would begin.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
NoNecksCurse

we should sign ak

Old
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
we should sign ak
we should've never "not" signed him.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Sykora signs with Switzerland’s SC Bern

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...lands-sc-bern/

Old
01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
agreed. he would really be useful right now. especially with hornqvist being out almost half of the remaining games. our top 6 is weak enough as is

Old
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Was about to type the same thing. haha

Old
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

Quote:
we should sign ak
Andrei looked pretty good when he was in Nashville. He hit, he played decent enough defense, and he actually shot the puck. Sergei seemed to drop off around the same time though. Either way, it doesn't matter. The likelihood of Andrei playing in Nashville this season is slim.

Andrei already stated here that he will play with Traktor Chelyabinsk until the end of this season when his contract expires. I don't believe he has an out clause in his contract, but this is the KHL we're talking about so who knows.

Contract aside there's another reason, Poile and Trotz. They didn't want him back. They benched him in the playoffs after him and Radulov did whatever it is that they did. Can you imagine how awkward that conversation would be...

Old
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Quote:
we should sign ak
As if there was any chance of him signing with the Preds after his suspension. May as well wish to sign King Clancy .... there's the same possibility.

Realistically, the team needs to put Hornqvist on IR, and look to Milwaukee for a body. Pick one of the kids, call them up, sit Clune and go from there. The sequel decision is keep Smith in the lineup or bench him for a game and either let McGrattan skate or go with 7 d-men.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Not only would AK have never signed here, Poile and Trotz would have to be out of their minds to offer him a contract after what happened. Not to mention AK couldn't even get an NHL job (at a reasonable salary). A player like AK is the opposite of what this team needs. We need guys with heart and hustle and puck moving skills.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Sit Clune and Goose bring up 2... Those 2 are nothing but negative players right now.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Not only would AK have never signed here, Poile and Trotz would have to be out of their minds to offer him a contract after what happened. Not to mention AK couldn't even get an NHL job (at a reasonable salary). A player like AK is the opposite of what this team needs. We need guys with heart and hustle and puck moving skills.
We have all kinds of heart and hustle.

What we lack is skill. Mike Fisher is our number one center.

That's a problem.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Agree with Goc. We need someone who can finish. Not sure that someone is with the Ads, but I agree that is the first thing this org would try. Clune is not the answer.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
We have all kinds of heart and hustle.

What we lack is skill. Mike Fisher is our number one center.

That's a problem.
I've yet to see this hustle this season.

This team has as much skill as any Preds team minus the Kariya teams. It's as deep as it's ever been and yet it looks far worse than the Tom Fitzgerald teams.

This is not a just a talent issue.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:13 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

We're an eighth of the way into the season. Now is the time to start getting nervous, but not the time to go into a full-on panic. Teams typically don't start panicking and/or firing coaches until about 20-25 games into a normal season, which would mean about 12-15 games in this shortened campaign.

Play Mason for a couple of games and see what happens. Rinne hasn't been that poor, but he hasn't been good enough to win games with the team playing in front of him the way they have. The results can't possibly be worse.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I am in no way wanting anyone fired. Something has changed in our system or something needs too, it's not a personnel issue only we look lost.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Extended Long-Term TV deal with FOX:

Quote:
The National Hockey League’s Nashville Predators and the team’s exclusive regional television partner FOX Sports Tennessee, along with sister station SportSouth, today announced a new long-term television rights agreement. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Under the new agreement, FOX Sports Tennessee and SportSouth will televise a minimum of 75 Nashville Predators regular-season games beginning in the 2013-14 season, reaching over 4 million cable and satellite households across Tennessee, Kentucky and northern portions of Alabama and Mississippi. The regional networks will televise 46 of the team’s 48 games in the current truncated season. FOX Sports Tennessee has been a Predators broadcast partner since the team’s inaugural season.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653094

I didn't see how long it's for.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Sit Clune and Goose bring up 2... Those 2 are nothing but negative players right now.
I'm wondering how healthy Goose really is. He isn't winning faceoffs or battles.

Exposing Clune to waivers and sending him down isn't really a bad option ... and probably no risk of losing him before he gets to Milwaukee.

The attempts for the cute play are costing the team yet again. SK tries to pass to Wilson for a tap in rather than shoot .... off Wilson's blade and away from the net. Legwand tries the cross ice pass to a pinching Josi ... through a maze of active sticks, no covering the spot Josi moved in from ... breakaway at Peks ... goal. Yet, for most of the 2nd period before that error, the team looked almost decent.

It would be nice if the team took advantage of the two days between games and practiced a little.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Extended Long-Term TV deal with FOX:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653094

I didn't see how long it's for.
thats great news. 46 of 48 this year is awesome.. and 75+ next year is just great. very good news. seen it on the FB page.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'm wondering how healthy Goose really is. He isn't winning faceoffs or battles.

Exposing Clune to waivers and sending him down isn't really a bad option ... and probably no risk of losing him before he gets to Milwaukee.

The attempts for the cute play are costing the team yet again. SK tries to pass to Wilson for a tap in rather than shoot .... off Wilson's blade and away from the net. Legwand tries the cross ice pass to a pinching Josi ... through a maze of active sticks, no covering the spot Josi moved in from ... breakaway at Peks ... goal. Yet, for most of the 2nd period before that error, the team looked almost decent.

It would be nice if the team took advantage of the two days between games and practiced a little.
i know you try to be positive and make a lot of good points. but this team needs more than 2 days of practice. its in need of something fast. SLake mentioned the schemes being implemented.. im not sure.

but our division is gonna sink us. chicago looks to be tops in the NHL. the blues have completely owned us since hitchcock has come aboard.. we always battle the wings. we didn't even beat the cbj like our normal selves.. granted, it was the first game of the year.our schedule isn't getting any easier. we could be done by the end of this road trip if we dont show some improvements. i put the blame on guys like fisher, legwand, sk, and even weber. they have been here long enough to not be performing the way they are. our forwards look anemic. it won't get any easier on thursday... defending stanley cup champs against a damn good goalie in quick with a team that plays good team defense. i want to at least see some offensive pressure. please. i don't even care about win.. i just want to see some life for 60 minutes...

Old
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
i know you try to be positive and make a lot of good points. but this team needs more than 2 days of practice. its in need of something fast. SLake mentioned the schemes being implemented.. im not sure.

but our division is gonna sink us. chicago looks to be tops in the NHL. the blues have completely owned us since hitchcock has come aboard.. we always battle the wings. we didn't even beat the cbj like our normal selves.. granted, it was the first game of the year.our schedule isn't getting any easier. we could be done by the end of this road trip if we dont show some improvements. i put the blame on guys like fisher, legwand, sk, and even weber. they have been here long enough to not be performing the way they are. our forwards look anemic. it won't get any easier on thursday... defending stanley cup champs against a damn good goalie in quick with a team that plays good team defense. i want to at least see some offensive pressure. please. i don't even care about win.. i just want to see some life for 60 minutes...
If the team plays like they did for most of the 2nd period last night and the last 40 mins at Minnesota, they are competitive with anyone. The issue is, they aren't doing that. If it's a personality issue within the lockerroom, rust, or a random underlying reason we can't figure out ... who knows ... but they need to figure it out. Who knows what the true problem or solution is ... maybe practice, maybe a bag skate, or maybe our leaders need to close the doors and set their peers straight ... but what we're seeing is the usual early season Preds conflicting play where we'll suck for a while with periods of good play thrown in just to make it frustrating to watch. Suckitude with glimpses of what we could be if the players got their act together.

Closed Thread