HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is the 2011 Draft class underrated?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
Is the 2011 Draft class underrated?

I often hear the 2011 draft referred to as a "weak draft", but it seems to me like it is turning into one of the better ones since the lockout. Some first round standouts and their accomplishments:

1st overall: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Played at a PPG-pace for most of his first NHL season at age 18. Calder runner up.
2nd overall: Gabriel Landeskog. Second rookie ever to record both 20 goals and 200 hits. Calder trophy winner. Named captain of the Avs after his rookie season, and became the youngest captain in NHL history.
8th overall: Sean Couturier. Made a deep Flyers team right after the draft and established himself as one the NHL's better players defensively. Succesfully shutdown reigning league-MVP Evgeni Malkin in the playoffs
9th overall: Dougie Hamilton. Won CHL defenseman of the year in dominating fashion and has looked very good in limited NHL exposure.

Add to this players who have shown a lot of promise like Adam Larsson, Jonathan Huberdeau and Sven Baertschi, as well as non-first round players like Xavier Ouellet, John Gibson, Brandon Saad, Dmitrij Jaskin and John Gaudreau, and it seems like this draft could end up being a very good one, at least in comparison to the several years before it

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I think it was a very good class. Probably the best since '08.(might turn out better, but too soon to tell)

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
In other words, teams got good players out of the top 10, so its a strong draft?

That's not how it works.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:04 AM
ricky0034

it's still early but as a Wings fan it's looking promising as hell that's for sure

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:04 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
In other words, teams got good players out of the top 10, so its a strong draft?

That's not how it works.
Look at the top 10 for 2008, 2007 or 2006. And those players mentioned are the only ones who have had any significant time in the NHL so far, while others have simply been very good in juniors (stronger than other drafts at the same stage of development)

Old
01-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Xokkeu

Ummm, we are about a season and two weeks out from this draft. I have no idea how you can say it's underrated or not. As it is by my quick count 11 guys are in the NHL right now. By contrast I quickly counted 11 from 2010 and I counted 23 from 2009 and 24 from 2008. Granted those are rough counts made in about 10 seconds each.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:45 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Ummm, we are about a season and two weeks out from this draft. I have no idea how you can say it's underrated or not. As it is by my quick count 11 guys are in the NHL right now. By contrast I quickly counted 11 from 2010 and I counted 23 from 2009 and 24 from 2008. Granted those are rough counts made in about 10 seconds each.
I simply feel it's miscast as a weak class, when for instance it has produced better immediate results and what look like better prospects than some previous drafts

Old
01-29-2013, 03:03 AM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
From a Detroit point of view, I think a lot of us see it as one our best drafts in a long time. Tomas Jurco, Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul, Mattias Backman,Alexei Marchenko, all look to have NHL potential.
Backman(5th) is one of the best D in the SEL, even made the national team for a tournament recently I believe.
Marchenko (7th rd) is a regular in the KHL
Sproul (2nd) has the exact amount of points as Hamilton this year in the same amount of games except Sproul has more goals, all the while coming off a broken arm.
Ouellet (2nd) was one of the better D for Canada at the world juniors has a great all around polished game and good offence
Jurco (2nd) was one of the youngest players in the AHL this season and even though he hasn't put up all that great of numbers he has the size and skill to be a great NHL player once he puts them all together
now that I think about it Alan Quine (3rd) has put up a ppg average since being drafted, and has great wheels

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I simply feel it's miscast as a weak class, when for instance it has produced better immediate results and what look like better prospects than some previous drafts
I personally don't remember anybody calling it particularly weak. I do remember some saying that the 2011 class lacked any truly elite players and that may end up being the case.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:18 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I personally don't remember anybody calling it particularly weak. I do remember some saying that the 2011 class lacked any truly elite players and that may end up being the case.
I remember in the leadup to the 2012 draft people were commenting on how the upcoming draft and the previous one were both weak, but the next one (2013) would be very strong. Whatever the case, the 2011 draft (to me at least) looks very promising and I think the partial lockout will go a way towards helping these prospects have a lasting impact in the NHL

Old
01-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Sergei Shirokov

From a Vancouver POV it is probably one of our best in recent memory as we hit the jackpot (judging by where we picked) with 2 of our picks Jensen and Corrado.

Nick Jensen (1st Round, 29th) Seems to be a steal, already playing in the SEL and leading his team in goals as a 19 year old.

Joe Labate (3rd Round, 101st) Had a great year last year, really jumped onto the Radar, this year has struggled a bit but has is a big player (6'4) and has 2nd/3rd line NHL upside IMO.

Frank Corrado (5th Round, 150th) Absolute Steal, Guy has broken out as one of the better/best D-men in the OHL.

Henrik Tommernes (7th Round, 210th) Playing big minutes & a big role in the SEL, will come over to NA next year and we will get a better gauge on him but signs look good right now.

From an overall standpoint the 1st Round looks good and in the later rounds there appears to be alot of promise that there are potentially more steals than usual.

So I would agree.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:28 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

As a ducks fan it has the potential to be good. Rickard Rakell, John Gibson, William Karlsson, Max Friberg, and Andy Welinski all have varying degree's of promise. Gibson is probably the crown jewel of the group

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
sharks9

Way too early to call it underrated or overrated. Like you've shown, it's pretty much only top-10 players who have cracked their teams lineups. It'll still be a few years before players picked in the later rounds make the NHL and we can see how deep it really was.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
It's a better draft than 2012 that's for sure.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:26 AM
ALI

vCash: 50
fLAMES:

SVEN bAERTSCHI - elite
JGaudreau - Huge upside
MGranlund - good potential 2nd liner
Wootherspoon - top 6
Brossoit - unpredictable

all of these players have also played in the world juniors

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Sevanston

The Hawks already have two picks from this draft (Saad, Shaw) playing in the NHL, so things look pretty golden for Chicago.

Danault is already a fan favorite and he hasn't even played in Chicago yet.
McNeill is good. Just how good is currently uncertain, but good.
Clendening made the AHL All-Star game in his rookie season. Was on the Hockey East All-Star team as well.

It's unclear how many of the rest will make the NHL, but they've pretty much all been solid so far in juniors.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:17 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
For the Wild:

Jonas Brodin - Has been stellar since the draft and was playing very well in the AHL until his broke his collarbone. He's played two games in the NHL now and has been fantastic.
Zack Phillips - Great in juniors but has struggled in the AHL so far. Still holds promise.
Mario Lucia - Had a great year in juniors but broke his leg before going to Notre Dame. Has been very good since.
Stephen Michalek - He was good last season, but got caught in an academic scandal and is now playing in the USHL and has looked average.
Tyler Graovac - Great 7th rounder. I don't want to say "steal", but it's looking good so far.

So, at least so far, it's looking like a strong draft. 3/5 are performing above or well above expectations, and two have been at about average or slightly below average. Can't ask for anything more.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
From a Detroit point of view, I think a lot of us see it as one our best drafts in a long time. Tomas Jurco, Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul, Mattias Backman,Alexei Marchenko, all look to have NHL potential.
Backman(5th) is one of the best D in the SEL, even made the national team for a tournament recently I believe.
Marchenko (7th rd) is a regular in the KHL
Sproul (2nd) has the exact amount of points as Hamilton this year in the same amount of games except Sproul has more goals, all the while coming off a broken arm.
Ouellet (2nd) was one of the better D for Canada at the world juniors has a great all around polished game and good offence
Jurco (2nd) was one of the youngest players in the AHL this season and even though he hasn't put up all that great of numbers he has the size and skill to be a great NHL player once he puts them all together
now that I think about it Alan Quine (3rd) has put up a ppg average since being drafted, and has great wheels
He's not your typical OHL'er either. Very good guy, even better player.

Can't wait to watch him in Detroit.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Way too early to call it underrated or overrated. Like you've shown, it's pretty much only top-10 players who have cracked their teams lineups. It'll still be a few years before players picked in the later rounds make the NHL and we can see how deep it really was.
Baerschi #13 and Saad #43 I believe are the only two outside of it.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:37 AM
EpicNeilTime

It doesn't have a top elite talent, but the depth was crazy! Sens got Shane Prince with the last pick in the second round who was projected to be a 1st round pick and is playing well in the AHL.

I think you'll see a lot of the late 1st/2nd round players turn out better then some of the top 10 players of the draft.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Jacko95

Tampa's looks great as well so far:

27 F Vladislav Namestnikov - Doing great in the AHL
58 F Nikita Kucherov - At a 2ppg rate in the Qmjhl
148 D Nikita Nesterov - Regular in the KHL
178 G Adam Wilcox - Top Rookie goalie in the NCAA (20 consequtive starts and 1.72 GAA)
201 F Matthew Peca - Great freshman year in the NCAA but big sophomore slump right now
208 F Ondrej Palat - Top10 in assists in the AHL

I love this this class so far (for us)

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

For Dallas:

Jamie Oleksiak RD1- Has done an amazing job transitioning from junior to the AHL. Plays on the top D pair and is racking up points. He'll be in Dallas soon.
Brett Ritchie RD2 - You all know.
Emil Molin RD4 - Had a hard time getting minutes in Europe, but that was in the Elitserien league. Played great in Brynäs J20 and in the WJC.
Matej Stransky RD6 - Could be Dallas' next steal in the late rounds. He took a huge jump last year, and is continuing that effort.
Jyrki Jokipakka RD7 - Last I saw, he was playing big minutes on a pretty bad Ilves team. And has 5-10-15 in 45. Could be a good bottom NHL pairing in the future. Maybe.

2011 was a great draft class.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
frankthetank91

Ya i always wondered why it was considered weak. 2010 looks alot weaker to me.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
shello
@WShello9

Seams like most teams got a pretty good foundation out of this draft potential wise that's for sure. One thing I think which people believed it was a weaker class was the no clear cut #1 or #2 overall player. Which frankly in my mind that would make the draft deeper.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Norm MacDonald

As a Flyers fan, I'm happy with it. Couturier at #8 has been stellar, and Cousins has been ****** the OHL.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote