Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Pep wants to bring Neymar lol
Yeah, we're going to get used to being mentioned (even more often) in the rumors for the big names now. The source to this uses Neymar's admiration for Pep as a basis. Well, he won't leave Brasil until 2014. And even then, I don't think we'd quite have Barca/Real's charisma ("Strahlkraft" being a word I haven't heard as often in my life before as I have since yesterday...) to him by then to really be an option. Nor do I believe we'll spend €50M if he's under contract. Then again, I didn't ultimately believe in being able to capture Guardiola, either.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:00 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Yeah, we're going to get used to being mentioned (even more often) in the rumors for the big names now. The source to this uses Neymar's admiration for Pep as a basis. Well, he won't leave Brasil until 2014. And even then, I don't think we'd quite have Barca/Real's charisma ("Strahlkraft" being a word I haven't heard as often in my life before as I have since yesterday...) to him by then to really be an option. Nor do I believe we'll spend €50M if he's under contract. Then again, I didn't ultimately believe in being able to capture Guardiola, either.
Who knows. If they snag a CL title or two and Robbery's slowing down, could be a good fit. Shaq/Isco-Neymar-Muller in front of Kroos, Schweini/Rode and Martinez.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I'm really excited to see how he incorporates Shaqiri.

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

There goes my hope of Chelsea buying David Alaba. Pep loves keeping homegrown players.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
There goes my hope of Chelsea buying David Alaba. Pep loves keeping homegrown players.
Well, so do Bayern, so I don't think your chances actually decreased since yesterday. They just remain where they were for the time being.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov View Post
All three German teams topped their groups in Cl this year; EPL were last, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. The Bundesliga just might be the best league moving forward.
I'm a Bayern fan but let's not put too much emphasis into CL results. EPL is still the biggest league in the world even if some of its top clubs mismanage themselves.

Btw if there's one team other than Chelsea that has one full back position covered and the other one in a constant mess along with instability on the left wing then it's Bayern for the past decade. So I wouldn't completely discount them from still being able to pry Alaba.

I just hope Guardiola doesn't eff it up and bring in washed up La Liga players. Will probably be good enough to win Bundesliga if he does that but not CL. Though I mainly just care about beating Dortmund repeatedly so I don't care what they do in CL for the next few years.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
cgf

Why would Bayern's struggles finding a partner for Lahm make them more likely to move Alaba, rather than less?

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:13 PM
gary69

Depending how the rest of the season goes for Bayern, Guardiola for sure is faced with some problems in the transfer market come summer time.

If Bayern win the BL title and have quite a good run in the CL (say SF's), then he'll be in a tough position to convince the person(s) with the final say on transfer matters to ditch some players and bring in others instead.

Let's say suggesting selling Gomez at a loss and buying a La Liga based striker instead (unless it's a real world class name like Falcao).

Bayern's squad is far from old, so there's no real need for overhaul, it's rather a question how much Guardiola wants to change the personnel and how much he is allowed to. There must have been some promises made by the board regarding transfers before Guardiola signed.

Now, if Bayern were to finish second best (or even worse) in the BL and not progress much further in the CL than they already have, then obviously Guardiola would have a much stronger case to bring in "his" players and get rid of "unsuitable" ones.

Even if that scenario happens, I still wonder how much Guardiola will be trusted in his first summer in charge (without having coached any competitive games in Germany with Bayern) when it comes to transfers. At that stage, to be perfectly honest, he won't truly know the other BL teams or their players, nor their regular playing level or even the general standard of the BL, i.e what level of team performance and players are good enough to win matches on regular basis.

I'd take a guess, that Guardiola will not be pushing for any major signings next summer unless Bayern completely fail to perform during the remainder of this season.

When he's more familiar with his squad and the league, I believe he'll be looking to make major moves in the 2014 summer market.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
I'd take a guess, that Guardiola will not be pushing for any major signings next summer unless Bayern completely fail to perform during the remainder of this season.
I would think that that's true. From all I have heard, Guardiola actually actively prefers not having to work on transfers or make those manager's decisions. He wants to be a coach.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Omnomnomnom

Apparently Pep is being given 240 million to spend?!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ing-spree.html

Omnomnomnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Is he busy learning German as we speak?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
Apparently Pep is being given 240 million to spend?!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ing-spree.html
What?! That's the most absurd thing I have ever read.

He won't have £240M to spend. "He" might have a quarter of that. And what would that be needed for, anyway? Not that it's coming unexpected, but the papers are going crazy. Bayern doesn't stop being Bayern due to having Pep. We can make a big transfer when we feel it's the right one, but we won't start going crazy. And that's exactly one of the reasons Pep is going where he is going, and not to one of the clubs that would at least somewhat warrant such an outlandish headline.

For all we've heard, he doesn't even want to be in charge of transfers. He wants to coach players, he wants to be less of a manager, which we have in Sammer. There's not going to be blank cheques for Guardiola to go shopping for all those big names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Is he busy learning German as we speak?
Yes, and he has been for a few months, apparently. Already spoke some sentences in German with guys in our front office, according to them.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
What?! That's the most absurd thing I have ever read.

He won't have £240M to spend. "He" might have a quarter of that. And what would that be needed for, anyway? Not that it's coming unexpected, but the papers are going crazy. Bayern doesn't stop being Bayern due to having Pep. We can make a big transfer when we feel it's the right one, but we won't start going crazy. And that's exactly one of the reasons Pep is going where he is going, and not to one of the clubs that would at least somewhat warrant such an outlandish headline.

For all we've heard, he doesn't even want to be in charge of transfers. He wants to coach players, he wants to be less of a manager, which we have in Sammer. There's not going to be blank cheques for Guardiola to go shopping for all those big names.
Yes the number is everywhere.
It's been reported he'd like Suarez (Liverpool set an asking price of 48M€ on him) and/or Falcao (60M€).
Let's not pretend Pep doesn't want expensive guys. He spent (or at least Barca when he was there) a LOT of money with Barca where he already had multiple 50M+ players (in terms of value). Think of all the transfers that were made when he was there (Ibra, Villa, Sanchez, Fabregas, Keirrison, Mascherano, Chigrinksy, etc...). Those were not really cheap transfers.

It's perfectly possible he talked about spending a lot of money.
If Bayern wanted a guy that coaches without spending, they would not have gone after Pep, that's for sure.

Last edited by Evilo: 01-29-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:30 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Give him 1 billion, make Bayern broke, you can do it Pep!

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Yes the number is everywhere.
It's been reported he'd like Suarez (Liverpool set an asking price of 48M€ on him) and/or Falcao (60M€).
Well, the number is everywhere in terms of meaningless places. Those papers do what they do, and what sells. It was to be expected. Personally, I haven't seen a single remotely credible source. Everything on Suarez is constructed based on his agent being related to Pep, and Falcao just gets linked to every big club in the business these days.

The only quote I have read is from our board paraphrasing what Pep said: they don't expect a ton of transfers, he likes the players on the team. And there's a fair bit to like.

Quote:
Let's not pretend Pep doesn't want expensive guys. He spent (or at least Barca when he was there) a LOT of money with Barca where he already had multiple 50M+ players (in terms of value). Think of all the transfers that were made when he was there (Ibra, Villa, Sanchez, Fabregas, Keirrison, Mascherano, Chigrinksy, etc...). Those were not really cheap transfers.
Well, there's three points about that, though. With Barca, he already knew precisely what he had to deal with, and what he felt would be needed. Even if he had the power, I severely doubt he'd look to take on a major overhaul of the Bayern roster. Second, I'm not even sure whether things work that way in Spain that all those transfers actually were initiated by him. Thirdly, even if he was entirely in charge of everything in Barcelona, he won't be at Bayern.

Quote:
It's perfectly possible he talked about spending a lot of money.
It's possible, as long as there's a remotely reasonable definition of "a lot of money" involved. Bayern has made a profit for what, 20 years straight? I think the most we've spent in our history in one season was around €70M (the year we signed Ribery). There's sensible reason to believe that we're capable of besting that. It's conceivable that we might be willing to do so sometime soon, as well. But €150M+ is something we'll be neither capable (by our methods) or willing to do overly soon.

Quote:
If Bayern wanted a guy that coaches without spending, they would not have gone after Pep, that's for sure.
Well, we don't need a coach that thrives under the tightest of budgets. But there's a huge gap between that and believing Bayern would even consider spending €200M or that Pep would be given the power to do so by himself.

What is entirely clear, to me, is that if Pep ever asked for a guarantee to get to spend €100M+ any way he wants, that's the exact moment when negotiations would have ended. That's something other clubs could offer, but it's not the way Bayern functions. There'll be money for transfers, even a big one here or there. We are not just blowing up our standards to sign a coach, especially as those standards have played a great role in building one of the world's most financially stable clubs while being established among Europe's elite. Looking at where we are, there is no desire by anyone to change the way this club works. We weren't desperate enough to sign Pep to throw out our principles for him, and why would we be? Even if one doesn't want to believe in that kind of idealistic stuff, who'd believe that people like Hoeneß, Rummenigge, Sammer, et al. would sign a coach that would cut that deep into their power? It would never happen.

Actually, there will be more money available going forward with the remaining payments on the arena being dealt with soon, but we're not suddenly starting to make multiple signings that blow away our record transfer in one window.

And Pep won't get to make those decisions by himself (if he even wanted to, which according to the sensible stuff I have read is exactly the opposite of reality). He was signed to be a coach, not a manager. When it comes to making a transfer happen, he'll have to deal with Matthias Sammer, mainly. Who'll then at a certain level of volume have to check with the board (including Hoeneß and Rummenigge), before looking into what's possible financially with our financial staff (with Hopfner in charge).

That's what Pep signed up for. A club with a clear structure. Now, if people want to take some reports - that aren't exactly subtle about not having an actual basis - as an indication that Pep went in and received a carte blanche for signing there, they are free to believe in that. But it just shows they don't know how the club is run, and they still don't understand that precisely that seems to be a huge part of the reason why Pep went where he went, for less than he could make elsewhere.

And that's not to say that Bayern won't make a splash. A big signing is entirely possible. €200M+ is the exact opposite.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Evilo

Oh come on, don't pretend only tabloids are reporting it. Just in France, various sources have reported it, including L'Equipe.
L'Equipe and France Football are saying Hoeness said it at a Bayern meeting. 278M€ exactly was the number he gave.

I don't think those sources made that up. Will all be spent? I don't think so. But you can expect Bayern to spend a lot yeah, maybe not the first summer but very quickly.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. L'Equipe seems to be the root of the rumor and everyone else just runs with it or spins new stories from it. It's transfer season and you can't believe what any media source says, whether it's the Times or L'Equipe or whoever.

The reality is that in the perception of the international media Bayern have now moved from that place of being the always slightly underrated and not all that interesting, quietly solid German powerhouse to the big time of the international mega clubs. That means Bayern will be a bigger part of transfer speculation because Bayern are now far more interesting to the average reader of a sports publication in Spain, England, France etc. Two months ago the Daily Mail and L'Equipe wouldn't really have given a damn about Bayern's transfer budget, now that sort of stuff gets clicks and generates discussion.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Oh come on, don't pretend only tabloids are reporting it. Just in France, various sources have reported it, including L'Equipe.
Personally, every soruce I have read was mentioning it as origining from L'Equipe. I haven't seen any German paper jumping on that, for example, and I think there's a reason for that. To be fair, I don't mean to call out any newspapers as tabloids. In my opinion, when it comes to these types of football rumors, tabloids and regular papers tend to not be too far apart from each other more often than not. Some tabloids are very well-connected, as some quality papers are. All of them have bad sources, as well, though. But with only international media coming up with these things, there really doesn't seem much room for me to take it as papers creating these rumors because there's a big club with a new big name coach, which makes for believable rumors - as long as the audience isn't too familiar with the club.

Quote:
L'Equipe and France Football are saying Hoeness said it at a Bayern meeting. 278M€ exactly was the number he gave.

I don't think those sources made that up.
Maybe they are taking some number from our annual general assembly out of context and mistook (and mis-represent) it as the transfer budget. That's the best bet I'd have in order to not consider it purely fictional. That I could actually see.

Quote:
But you can expect Bayern to spend a lot yeah, maybe not the first summer but very quickly.
Well, what kind of number would you suspect? I think there's almost no chance we'd get to €200M over the three years Pep signed for. I just don't see it.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. L'Equipe seems to be the root of the rumor and everyone else just runs with it or spins new stories from it. It's transfer season and you can't believe what any media source says, whether it's the Times or L'Equipe or whoever.

The reality is that in the perception of the international media Bayern have now moved from that place of being the always slightly underrated and not all that interesting, quietly solid German powerhouse to the big time of the international mega clubs. That means Bayern will be a bigger part of transfer speculation because Bayern are now far more interesting to the average reader of a sports publication in Spain, England, France etc. Two months ago the Daily Mail and L'Equipe wouldn't really have given a damn about Bayern's transfer budget, now that sort of stuff gets clicks and generates discussion.
Beat me to it on some points. I think that hits the nail on the head.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Evilo

But L'equipe just didn't make something up. They wrote that Hoeness told the shareholder and board about it. They were specific about the words and the meeting.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Well, what kind of number would you suspect? I think there's almost no chance we'd get to €200M over the three years Pep signed for. I just don't see it.
With Pep's transfer history?
You can expect at least 50M€ a season.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
But L'equipe just didn't make something up. They wrote that Hoeness told the shareholder and board about it. They were specific about the words and the meeting.
Well, if they actually are referring to what he said to the shareholders, then they did mess up the words or mix up the number. Because at that assembly, they don't discuss the transfer budget, for all I know. That happened quite a while ago, and it's not a secret thing, as the 100,000+ members of the club own more than half of the shares, making it a very public event. If there was such a number for a transfer budget, that would have been on German newspapers the next day, and every day since.

I think it happened sometime in December. They ended up announcing records revenues, and the usual stuff. It wasn't big news in Germany, and it certainly wasn't big news beyond the borders. Now, after Pep's signing, someone with L'Equipe probably took a look at some of those numbers released back then, and misinterpreted some (hopefully at least liquidated) assets category to mean transfer budget, and went wild with it.

Quote:
With Pep's transfer history?
You can expect at least 50M€ a season.
Well, Pep's transfer history is a Barca transfer history. He's going to be a Bayern coach, so Bayern's transfer history is a lot more important in projecting the future at Bayern. But at the same time, €50M a season is a number that's actually manageable and not that unrealistic. I'd guess that we'll be over it one year, but below it another. A lot of it depends on how the players actually end up doing, obviously.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

Who cares how much they spend? They have it so they can spend it. As long as Pep doesn't want Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mueller, Badstuber, Kroos or Neuer gone, everything is fine with me. If they can replace Gomez with Falcao or Suarez, I'm all for it.

tomcatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
Who cares how much they spend? They have it so they can spend it.
Sure, and that's part of the point. We don't have €278M to spend. We have a lot, an actual lot of actual money, but we don't have such numbers to just go around Europe and leave €50M for a star in every league, as some of those rumors would like to suggest. It's just about being somewhat realistic.

Quote:
As long as Pep doesn't want Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mueller, Badstuber, Kroos or Neuer gone, everything is fine with me.
Yep. And I don't think we'll have anything to worry about that.

Quote:
If they can replace Gomez with Falcao or Suarez, I'm all for it.
That's about the only thing I could actually imagine, and with Suarez appearing somewhat less unlikely, all things considered. But then again, I would be surprised to see it happen before Pep has actually worked with the players here for a while. Anyway, if something like that happened, it would be certain to be the only change of such magnitude for a year, at the very least.