HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Oates said during his interview today that "Schultz was a dominant defenseman in this league a couple of years ago."
Clearly true if you're just looking at a single stat and making an opinion from it. Absolutely scary if you're a Caps fan and you hear that coming out of Oates' yapper. Not a way to instill confidence that you know what you're doing.

I'm getting the feeling that Oates might be a little too cerebral/relaxed for this group. More and more I think they need a taskmaster who will get in their faces and challenge them.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
n3ss

Maybe he's just trying to pump Schult's tires?

Old
01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
HTFN

Seems pretty obvious to me that he's taking guys deep in their own heads and reminding them that there are reasons to play with confidence. Even if he sounds really stupid in the presser, it's not for the press. Or us. It's to get Schultz and the like to play with some semblance of swagger. Hell, looking back at the +50 days, you can see a noticeable difference in his play. For all that he is (and he was no gem then either), I remember him blocking a lot of shots with the stick when on his game. He was once better, it's just about pulling him back. Same seems to be true with the way he's working Ovechkin. Get him out of his own head, remind him that he's supposed to be flying around out there doing everything, and try and turn it around.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:36 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Literally the peak of his career came at the moment he was nicknamed Nasty.

The irony of it was too much and was almost like the straw that broke the camel's back.

It doesnt hurt to try to spark the kid. Hell he is a borderline scratch and has fallen so far, few spoken words can make him fall any farther.

Or can they.

I like trying at least. hell, if it were me, I would tell him to play softer and walk away from him.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:40 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Seems pretty obvious to me that he's taking guys deep in their own heads and reminding them that there are reasons to play with confidence. Even if he sounds really stupid in the presser, it's not for the press. Or us. It's to get Schultz and the like to play with some semblance of swagger. Hell, looking back at the +50 days, you can see a noticeable difference in his play. For all that he is (and he was no gem then either), I remember him blocking a lot of shots with the stick when on his game. He was once better, it's just about pulling him back. Same seems to be true with the way he's working Ovechkin. Get him out of his own head, remind him that he's supposed to be flying around out there doing everything, and try and turn it around.
Winner.

All the comments I've seen from GMs and others around the league about Oates say that he gets players, especially star players. (No I am not suggesting Schultz is a star, but Ovie obviously is, even if he is sucking.) What he's doing right now seems very plainly to be working on the guys to help them each find their game.

I'm sure he wants to win games, but honestly right now, I think he doesn't really care that much--in fact he said as much--because his focus is on rebuilding player confidence on a team that's been shuttled in 100 directions over the past few years. If anything, he just seems to want to minimize losing so it doesn't negatively impact player confidence. I think he believes the wins will come when each guy is playing his best hockey and they work together.

I am not sure his approach will work, but that is what I see happening.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Press conferences are dumb. Not sure why anyone takes them seriously.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
Maybe he's just trying to pump Schult's tires?
Isn't that Brooks Laich's job.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Seems like obvious blowing of smoke up the arse isn't the way to do it...

Old
01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Press conferences are dumb. Not sure why anyone takes them seriously.
Just to be clear - I find them humorous. And I so much miss Hunter's "it's a hockey play."

Old
01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Oates said during his interview today that "Schultz was a dominant defenseman in this league a couple of years ago."
Oates should read more Hf to find out that +/- is irrelevant.

And that he should buyout Ovy. Can't trade cus no one will take him.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

So Laich is supposed to join the team in Ottawa. Anyone know when he will suit up for his 1st game?

Old
01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
You wouldn't even come close to getting Tavares, Seguin, RNH, Skinner, or Couture for MoJo + 2nd. Considering the states of the franchises in Florida, Colorado, and Montreal, they hang on to the higher upside players of Huberdeau, Duchene, and Galchenyuk as well. Not to mention that Seguin has primarily been a winger so far in his career.

So that leaves a list of Hodgson, Stepan, Henrique, and maybe Couturier, Schenn, and Granlund. I see no argument for Couturier or Schenn over O'Reilly, whatsoever. Their strength, relative to their peers, is their defensive game. O'Reilly is just as strong, if not stronger, in that respect. And he has shown a lot more offensive potential in the NHL. You hope that they can become the player that ROR already is. Granlund, for all intents and purposes, is still a prospect.

Hodgson, Stepan, and Henrique were all drafted earlier than O'Reilly. None of them have even matched the 55 points you disparaged O'Reilly for posting. Henrique and Stepan came close, both posting 51 last year. Both of them played in more aggressive systems than Colorado did last year, with much better linemates. Henrique spent most of his time between Kovalchuk and Parise, while Stepan was in between Gaborik and Anisimov. Heck, even during Hodgson's outburst upon arriving in Buffalo, he had Vanek on his wing.

I'm as big of a Johansson supporter as is left. But O'Reilly is head and shoulders above Johansson. His game is much more complete, and his offensive game has just as much potential.
Let's be clear. I said I'd rather pursue those players if giving up Johansson and a good pick. I never said there was a chance to obtain them. There's really no reason whatsoever to shop Johansson unless you can get a significant upgrade. I disagree that O'Reilly is a significant upgrade. As I posted above, Johansson is the more productive even strength player.

Henrique put up 51 points his rookie year. Stepan put up 45. Hodgson 41. O'Reilly's 55 came in his third year, after two seasons of 26 points each. I don't think it's far-fetched to predict their production will surpass O'Reilly's with more NHL experience.

And the contract factor is a major one to consider, which is what brings the younger guys in the picture.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:05 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

I think we could look at a guy like Visnovsky. Free agent after this year, we have cap room for him and he would probably come fairly cheap.

Alzner-Green
Visnovsky-Carlson
Orlov-Schultz/Poti/Hamrlik/Kundratek/Erskine

Old
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Capitlols

The Caps should target Robyn Regehr, that would be long overdue.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
The Caps should target Robyn Regehr, that would be long overdue.
Would have been great a few years back but he's seriously approaching washed-up territory.

Perhaps McPhee could get him so Ribeiro has company on our "why the **** didn't you get them 3 years ago" list of players.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-28-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

+Morrow to that list until it's too late

Old
01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
+Morrow to that list until it's too late
Good catch. Morrow has been too late for like 3 years now.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Volchenkov is on that list too. Hard to believe he's gone this far downhill just 2 years into a 6 year, 25.5M contract. Definitely one of the most expensive third-pairing defensemen in the NHL.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Volchenkov is on that list too. Hard to believe he's gone this far downhill just 2 years into a 6 year, 25.5M contract. Definitely one of the most expensive third-pairing defensemen in the NHL.
I've always been glad McPhee had no interest.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I've always been glad McPhee had no interest.
Yup. It was pretty obvious Volchenkov wouldn't last playing the way he does. Especially in the skating league the NHL turned into after the 2004 lockout. Hard to skate when you've broken each foot a half dozen times.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:00 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Are we seriously writing off the past two year's Johansson's career because of the first four games of this season?
No we are writing him off because whatever value he did have to this team is fading fast. He is out of place on this team and isn't progressing like he should. Or would you rather hold onto him until he has no value whatsoever and no future here?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:03 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I've seen Mojo play 150+ NHL games. I've also seen him start out very poorly. How soon we forget he was a healthy scratch due to poor play at the beginning of last season.

4 games at the beginning of a season are meaningless. Ryan Callahan has 1 point and is -4 in 5 games. Mike Richards is pointless and a -3. Chris Kreider is pointless and a -2. Should those guys be written off?
Please do not compare Mojo to any of those players in an argument. Those 3 are proven talents. Mojo hasn't proved a damn thing compared to them so just stop.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:08 AM
marcel snapshot

Chris Kreider is a proven talent? His own coach just suggested he might have to go back to the AHL.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
No we are writing him off because whatever value he did have to this team is fading fast. He is out of place on this team and isn't progressing like he should. Or would you rather hold onto him until he has no value whatsoever and no future here?
No, I'm just not overreacting to a four game stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Please do not compare Mojo to any of those players in an argument. Those 3 are proven talents. Mojo hasn't proved a damn thing compared to them so just stop.
MoJo hasn't proven anything, but Chris Kreider has?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
MoJo hasn't proven anything, but Chris Kreider has?
Hey now, he was on pace for the greatest 30 pt AHL season in history before this stupid lockout ending had to derail him.

Closed Thread