HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Finnish Junior Players Scouting Reports

Old
01-10-2013, 04:12 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta2009 View Post
I didn´t have too many chances to watch Ikonen playing when he played in Finland, but it certainly sounds like he has developed in the OHL. I liked his skating and mix of physical play and skill. I really would like to see him playing with Kingston.

Pokka did not have the greatest start to the season in my eyes, however, he has picked up his game lately. I really like his ability to move the puck out of the d-zone. He also has a good point shot which he constantly gets to the net. Still not the best skater, but there is plenty of time for him to improve. His decision making is solid. I really think that he is a very nice pick by the Islanders. There is definitely plenty of potential in this player.
thank you

Yes, we have heard that he needs to work on his skating, hopfully he can countinue to develope is defensive game and become a solid 2 way defensman...

Also if you can answer what is his role on his current team? And does he see Power play or penalry killing time at all?

Thank you sparta

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Also if you can answer what is his role on his current team? And does he see Power play or penalry killing time at all?

Thank you sparta
Pokka has averaged more than 18 minutes per game this season (18:31) and has played quite a lot lately. For example, he played over 20 minutes both against Ässät and Ilves. He has played a lot on the powerplay in the games than I have seen, and has done well. He is responsible with the puck and like I said in my earlier post, his shot is good. But if he can develop his skating more going forward, it´s going to help him, both offensively and defensively.

Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Eyelanders

After having seen Patrik Laine live for the first time this season, here are my thoughts:

He plays against guys that are even three years older than him, so it´s very impressive. Great shot, he can really shoot the puck. It´s very difficult for the defensemen to anticipate what he will do next - he can make surprising moves. Excellent puck handling skills and has the vision in order to make difficult passes. Big and strong, can hit too. Defensive game could use some work.

He´s easily one of the best 1998 born players in Finland in my opinion. Other notable players at this point are forwards Jesse Puljujärvi and Markus Nurmi. I also like the potential of defenseman Tarmo Reunanen, but he will have to improve his defensive game. The puck skills and skating are there for sure.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:40 PM
YARR123

Quote:
After having seen Patrik Laine live for the first time this season, here are my thoughts:

He plays against guys that are even three years older than him, so it´s very impressive. Great shot, he can really shoot the puck. It´s very difficult for the defensemen to anticipate what he will do next - he can make surprising moves. Excellent puck handling skills and has the vision in order to make difficult passes. Big and strong, can hit too. Defensive game could use some work.

He´s easily one of the best 1998 born players in Finland in my opinion. Other notable players at this point are forwards Jesse Puljujärvi and Markus Nurmi. I also like the potential of defenseman Tarmo Reunanen, but he will have to improve his defensive game. The puck skills and skating are there for sure.
Do you see Laine being ahead of Puljujärvi in development at this moment? And how would you describe Puljujärvi's game? I've only seen some clips of him, and I liked what I saw. He looked like a explosive skater with a great motor, always moving, and good puck skills. Basically he was playing a very Kovalchuk-Ovechkin type of game. Is this in any way correct or was I seeing things?

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
I also like the potential of defenseman Tarmo Reunanen, but he will have to improve his defensive game. The puck skills and skating are there for sure.
Reunanen is a fairly good D for his age, but I don't see his puck skills or skating being exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Do you see Laine being ahead of Puljujärvi in development at this moment?
I'd say that Puljujärvi is slightly more polished at the moment. Laine on the other hand might have a tad more of raw talent, he's also more aggressive and has some power forward potential in him. Both seem to have improved their game as the season has advanced, interesting to see what happens next season.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:13 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Tormentor, what are your thoughts on Sebastian Aho? I was watching the B-junior game between Tappara and Karpat that was posted on Youtube, mainly to get a good first look at Puljujarvi, Laine and Rasanen, but it seemed like Aho's talent was always grabbing my attention. I thought he was by far the best player in that game. Given the fact that he's a 97, it's not terribly surprising that he seemed so polished when compared to the 98's, but even compared to the 95's and 96's that made up most of the rosters, he seemed incredibly mature. Other than not being particularly big, he didn't seem to have any real weaknesses and he's already played a few A-junior games. How would you compare him to Nattinen and Saarela at this point?

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Tormentor, what are your thoughts on Sebastian Aho? I was watching the B-junior game between Tappara and Karpat that was posted on Youtube, mainly to get a good first look at Puljujarvi, Laine and Rasanen, but it seemed like Aho's talent was always grabbing my attention. I thought he was by far the best player in that game. Given the fact that he's a 97, it's not terribly surprising that he seemed so polished when compared to the 98's, but even compared to the 95's and 96's that made up most of the rosters, he seemed incredibly mature. Other than not being particularly big, he didn't seem to have any real weaknesses and he's already played a few A-junior games. How would you compare him to Nattinen and Saarela at this point?
I agree with your observations about Aho. Smallish and not very physical, but smart, skilled and smooth, an instinctive scoring winger. An interesting footnote is that he’s a son of Harri Aho, a former pro and current Sport Director of Kärpät. It seems to be a trend at the moment that many of the top prospects come from hockey families:

95: Barkov, Lehkonen and Ikonen
96: Kapanen, Sopanen and Tuulola
97: Saarela, Nättinen and Aho

Saarela plays mostly as a centre forward whereas Aho is a wing, so they approach the game a bit differently. Saarela is sturdier/heavier and his ability to read the play and anticipate might be even higher than Aho’s. On the other hand Aho might have a slight advantage in mobility; stops and starts & changing direction in full speed.

Nättinen is a lot taller than Saarela or Aho, so comparing their games might not tell the whole story at this point. He’s a skilled player in his own right and capable of running the PP in Jr.B. I hope he starts using his frame and reach more effectively, and gets more jump into his game.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Zeitung

Nättinen and Saarela are physically very mature am I right? And Aho is very small, is he still growing? People at Jatkoaika seem to think tha Aho is much bigger prospect than Saarela or Nättinen, but due to his small size he hasn't been playing a lot with A. His(Harri Aho) father is 180cm so not expecting him to be much taller than that(anyone know his mom)?

Lukko will probably give Saarela some games in Sm-liiga next season. Just hoping that where ever he plays he plays big minutes. Could Mestis be next step for him and Nättinen next season?

Zeitung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitung View Post
Lukko will probably give Saarela some games in Sm-liiga next season. Just hoping that where ever he plays he plays big minutes. Could Mestis be next step for him and Nättinen next season?
I read somewhere that they are planning to give Saarela some games in sm liiga this season, not sure though

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Thanks for the quick responses.

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Nättinen and Saarela are physically very mature am I right? And Aho is very small, is he still growing?
Saarela is a pretty strong and sturdy player for his age, on the other hand I'm not 100% sure whether he weighs quite as much as 85kg, which is his reported weight at the moment. Nättinen is a tall kid, but I think his power output on the ice indicates that his conditioning can still improve plenty. His situational toughness (~tilannekovuus) and acceleration (~lähtönopeus) for example are nothing special. The height difference between Saarela and Aho is almost nonexistent, Aho is just noticeably lighter. I have no info about whether they are still growing or not.

Quote:
People at Jatkoaika seem to think tha Aho is much bigger prospect than Saarela or Nättinen, but due to his small size he hasn't been playing a lot with A.
There are plenty of different opinions, but like in most cases, waiting a year or two often improves our chances of making a correct prediction.

Quote:
As long as JYP Akatemia is in operation, it probably increases the chances that Nättinen plays in Mestis at some point, remains to be seen. My guess is that Saarela goes straight to SM-liiga after Jr.A.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:48 AM
toewsintangibles

Let me guess.. Saarela has "average skating"? Meaning bad skating in real terms for the NHL

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Keke

Could someone give a scouting report of the most promising 95-97 defenders. Any standouts? Thanks in advance.

Keke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Let me guess.. Saarela has "average skating"? Meaning bad skating in real terms for the NHL
My guess is as goo as anyone's. And what I have seen (u17 world challenge) the kid is just another overhyped finnish prospect. Good but look at granlund now... He should be the next finnish superstar...

Saarela is mature for his age but nothing phenomenal in terms of skill. It is just a fact that for every good finnish prospect Sweden produces three great prospects. f ex. this Nylander kid is just another level talent compared to the finns.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:29 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Let me guess.. Saarela has "average skating"?
From what I've heard this is not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer
My guess is as goo as anyone's. And what I have seen (u17 world challenge) the kid is just another overhyped finnish prospect. Good but look at granlund now... He should be the next finnish superstar...

Saarela is mature for his age but nothing phenomenal in terms of skill. It is just a fact that for every good finnish prospect Sweden produces three great prospects. f ex. this Nylander kid is just another level talent compared to the finns.
Nylander is one of the best players of his age group in the world. Finland doesn't have any prospects of similar stature from the 96's. If you looked at Saarela and Nylander in the u17s, then it's obvious Nylander was the one who made things happen. At that stage one year of development can be HUGE. It can mean the difference between playing in the SM-liiga and jr. B. And since it's very early for Saarela we don't know if he has Nylanders talent. So it's pretty pointless to compare and equally pointless to feel disheartened. You don't know wether he's overhyped or underhyped. Let the kid play and we'll see what happens.

BTW Saarela was ranked 4th on some American pro scouts' list some time back. Lists this early ofcourse are very unreliable and even a pro scout from the states is very unlikely to be well informed about a finnish kid, but the point is that it's not just random finnish posters here saying that Saarela is a talented kid.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
I'm interested in your opinions on a few players not eligible for the draft this year. Do you think any of the following can continue Finlands recent habit of multiple first-round choices?

Alex Lintuniemi
Julius Honka
Kasperi Kapanen
Joel Kiviranta

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:01 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGician View Post
Could someone give a scouting report of the most promising 95-97 defenders. Any standouts? Thanks in advance.
Well we have good depth in 96's in the defense but not really any standouts or very high draft picks. Eetu Sopanen and Joni Tuulola might be the best for that class. I like Veeti Vainio from the 97 draft class. A real standout defenseman at this point is 99 born defenseman Urho Vaakanainen who is playing against 4 year older players with nearly PPG pace and is over PPG against 2year older players. He is big kid for his age but too early to make noise about him. Seems to be promising so far.

Aleksi Saarela is an smart two-way foward with good skating and elite shot, he can make very high end passes aswell. Seems to be very bulky player. Doesen't wow or dominates offensively at higher level of play. Bit overhyped in finland IMO. Sure his numbers are pretty special but i don't see his ceiling as high as some people does. I've been watching him many times. Not sure how he translates to the FEL, i could see difficulties. I've been watching Connor Mcdavid many times and there is so big gap in talent.

I like Sebastian Ahos potential alot. His vision, skill are top notch and when he developes physically he could be quite good. Julius Nättinen is pretty good and big player but i don't see any standout skill from him. I think that this is very talented bunch if we add Mikko Rantanen aswell.

Nylander is pretty special player for his age. I just don't see similar talent in any of our 97's.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Quethas

Send a message via MSN to Quethas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I'm interested in your opinions on a few players not eligible for the draft this year. Do you think any of the following can continue Finlands recent habit of multiple first-round choices?

Alex Lintuniemi
Julius Honka
Kasperi Kapanen
Joel Kiviranta
To be honest I think that only Kapanen has the chance to be drafted in first round from these guys. He is the only one who I think is solid enough at all aspects to get a consideration for first round. Skating and skill level seems to be pretty good and also he has gained strength during this year.

For the others, Honka moves the puck nicely and skates pretty well, but the size and defensive play are issues that makes him a lot more uninteresting. Lintuniemi has a good size but I think that skating is a problem and also he should contribute much more regularly offensively. I do like the energy Kiviranta brings, especially considering he skates well but I seriously doubt that he would have that much to offer offensively that he would be first or even second round draft pick. Especially when he is yet another smallish forward who should have some really good qualities to gain interest from North America.

That being said, at this point it seems that all of those players could be drafted but aside from Kapanen, all of them needs to show signs of development during the next year.

Quethas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:34 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Well we have good depth in 96's in the defense but not really any standouts or very high draft picks. Eetu Sopanen and Joni Tuulola might be the best for that class. I like Veeti Vainio from the 97 draft class. A real standout defenseman at this point is 99 born defenseman Urho Vaakanainen who is playing against 4 year older players with nearly PPG pace and is over PPG against 2year older players. He is big kid for his age but too early to make noise about him. Seems to be promising so far.

Aleksi Saarela is an smart two-way foward with good skating and elite shot, he can make very high end passes aswell. Seems to be very bulky player. Doesen't wow or dominates offensively at higher level of play. Bit overhyped in finland IMO. Sure his numbers are pretty special but i don't see his ceiling as high as some people does. I've been watching him many times. Not sure how he translates to the FEL, i could see difficulties. I've been watching Connor Mcdavid many times and there is so big gap in talent.

I like Sebastian Ahos potential alot. His vision, skill are top notch and when he developes physically he could be quite good. Julius Nättinen is pretty good and big player but i don't see any standout skill from him. I think that this is very talented bunch if we add Mikko Rantanen aswell.

Nylander is pretty special player for his age. I just don't see similar talent in any of our 97's.
Could you (Or someone else) give us info where Saarela has to be better in order to be considered in the same talent pool as mcdavid&nylander?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Streaker-man

Any reports on HPK´s -95 born goalie Juuse Saros. He seems to have done excellent job in the juniors and should be a strong candidate with HPK´s men´s team next year but he doesn´t get a mention anywhere.

What´s the situation with him? Not good enough or just "too small" (179cm)?

Streaker-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:38 AM
Eyelanders

Kapanen has good potential and could be a first rounder. As for the others:

Honka - Smallish defenseman with good skating, vision and puck skills but as Quethas said, his size is an issue. Nonetheless, I think he can become a good player at least in Europe.

Lintuniemi - Big, has puck skills but lacks defensive instincts in my opinion. Decent shot but does not score a lot of goals.

Kiviranta - Small player, but has skills and vision. Due to his size and not the greatest offensive production, it´s hard to see him getting drafted at least very high. Still one of the better Finns in this age group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
A real standout defenseman at this point is 99 born defenseman Urho Vaakanainen who is playing against 4 year older players with nearly PPG pace and is over PPG against 2year older players. He is big kid for his age but too early to make noise about him. Seems to be promising so far.
Since you threw Vaakanainen´s name in, I would mention Kristian Vesalainen as a player with good potential from the 1999 age group. Played some games two years up and did not look out of place in my eyes. Good shot, strong and big for his age and is a good checker, too.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:56 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Could you (Or someone else) give us info where Saarela has to be better in order to be considered in the same talent pool as mcdavid&nylander?
I believe the main thing is that Saarela is shorter than those two and doesn't have similar elasticity is his movement, makes for a notable difference on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker-man View Post
Any reports on HPK´s -95 born goalie Juuse Saros. He seems to have done excellent job in the juniors and should be a strong candidate with HPK´s men´s team next year but he doesn´t get a mention anywhere.

What´s the situation with him? Not good enough or just "too small" (179cm)?
The talent is there, but many think that the lack of height notably affects his NHL chances. He's listed at 178cm in most places. Would be interesting to know what his true height is, is it closer to 175cm or 180cm?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Kapanen has good potential and could be a first rounder.
I agree. I've liked what I've seen so far of him. He doesn't look terribly out of place in SM-liiga at age 16. I don't think he's anywhere close to Barkov for example, but still promising. The thing I don't like about him is that I've heard that his grandpa and dad have perhaps made things too easy for him until now. Does he have what it takes to get to the top, to work hard and make his own way?

Does anyone know if Kaapo Kähkönen is anywhere close to getting a game or two for Blues next season? He seems to have done very well with the U20 team at 16.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:33 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I agree. I've liked what I've seen so far of him. He doesn't look terribly out of place in SM-liiga at age 16. I don't think he's anywhere close to Barkov for example, but still promising. The thing I don't like about him is that I've heard that his grandpa and dad have perhaps made things too easy for him until now. Does he have what it takes to get to the top, to work hard and make his own way?

Does anyone know if Kaapo Kähkönen is anywhere close to getting a game or two for Blues next season? He seems to have done very well with the U20 team at 16.
I think that Kaapo Kähkönen is very good prospect at this point. He has incredible poise in the net and is able to make huge gamesavers. He is an goalie who doesen't overplay himself and reads the game very well. I'm not goalie expert but his movement, smartness and the poise has impressed me alot. Impossible to predict his chances for senior club. Blues have experienced goalie in Riksman and young goalie in Volden. Maybe due injury or something.

Last edited by thomast: 02-04-2013 at 05:51 AM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Eyelanders

Scouting Reports - 2013 NHL Entry Draft Prospects

So, I have done some scouting reports of the 2013 NHL Draft Prospects. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Aleksander Barkov, Center, Tappara (FEL)

A big, strong center for his age, Barkov has plenty of skills and smarts. He is very good both with and without the puck. His puck handling skills are great, he makes good decisions and he has a good shot which he can release very quickly. He is good in his own end and his positioining is very solid. He needs to work mainly on his agility, but he has a ton of good things in his game.

Viewings (live): ~15-20 (1)

Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense, TPS (FEL)

A tall defenseman who plays his right hand down, Ristolainen possesses excellent puck moving abilities. He is physical in his own end and has a very hard shot, however he needs to work on its accuracy. A very good skater for his size, too. His overall game is quite good and he is going to be a very good two-way defenseman.

Viewings (live): ~10-15 (3)

Artturi Lehkonen, Wing, KalPa (FEL)

Lehkonen is not the strongest or tallest forward, but he is a good goal-scorer and has good puck handling skills, as well as good hockey sense. He has done alright in physical battles in my viewings this year, but gaining more strength will be important for him. A good prospect who has a lot of talent, though.

Viewings (live): ~10-15 (2)

Juuso Ikonen, RW, Blues (FEL)

Ikonen is small, but he is a strong skater and has a lot of talent. He is able to compete in the men´s league and has produced well. He has a decent shot and a high skill level. He is a smart player and he is able to make good passes on the PP.

Viewings (live): ~10 (3)

Saku Salminen, Center/Wing, Jokerit (FEL/Jr. A)

A tall and strong center, Salminen excels at faceoffs. He has decent skills with the puck and he can make some plays, but his skating has held him back at times. His shot is quite good, but he is good in the defensive zone. He doesn´t look like more than a late-round prospect.

Viewings (live): ~10-15 (6)