HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Japadogs 2, Tortas 3 (SO): Randy Newman spins in his grave

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 04:07 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I think so. If you don't think upgrading four plus positions is going to narrow the gap then the gap must be pretty big.

Not if they are expecting internal improvement themselves.

Full season of Carter. And the young players looking better already.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:12 AM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tightlips View Post
Did anyone else notice Kassian backing up Daniel when he was mixed up with the the kings player. Good to see.
This is a great thing for the twins to experience at least once in their careers.

I am beginning to regaurd the Canucks as a one center team. Lapierre is one of my favorite guys, but like Sopel, wieghtlifting is proving disasterous with his mobility. How did this go unchecked? Do the Canucks speak to players in the off season? Malhotra is a luxery option, a sentimental choice for fourth line duty. Canucks should have bought out this player at the end of last season and added him to the coaching or scouting staff somewhere.

Whatever way this all happened and whatever the intentions at the time were, the Canucks have to evaluate themselves very frankly in the here and now. I think its possible they have the bones for a run, and desire. They do not seem fully fleshed out, as yet.

Imagine Luongo is here to stay. Who do you trade away? Since there are no spare players, do you trade away draft picks? For an aging team this is very dangerous. Free agency is exhausted. What about something outside the box? What about poaching a European player? Waivers? Hell, who is skating good on the alumni team?

Gillis has shown great restraint. He didn't take any old deal for Luongo. This patient approach is costly, though, if you do not hedge your bets. Whatever the bailout plan is, it is time to spring it. I hope Gillis can pull this off because it seems like the Canucks last, best hope for a cup run. Look at the roster for next season, it's all the same guys on defense and top six, just older and in a longer season. Canucks were expended early last season and were overwhelmed by LA's continuous attack. This won't happen this season. Perfect opportunity! All Gillis has to do is produce a center!

Old
01-29-2013, 04:34 AM
biturbo19

Y AV no use Shredderman in the shootout?

Seriously though. Why not? Edler had a hot streak as a wildcard in shootouts for a short while. Pretty clear that well has run dry. Burrows has one and a half moves. Kassian didn't hit today, but it's pretty clear he knows what he's doing. And poor Schroeder is sitting there on the bench as one of our most slick skilled players with the puck. Twiddling his itty bitty little thumbs? Stupid.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:39 AM
yoss

Lu played lights out tonight, deserved to win. Tried to kill the clock off playing not to win as others have said is what did us in the end. I see flashes of greatness though, if we can put it together i still have plenty of faith in this team.

D needs to really step it up, which i think they will eventually (I hope). Kelser back will be nice obviously not to mention booth. Ballard Tanev look like our best pairing atm. Edler wtf are you doing? out there with some of those passes Jeezus

Last edited by yoss: 01-29-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 04:56 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

come back

Old
01-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
We are playing like a bubble team...

take off the #2 centre of any team and they struggle, take off another top 6 forward and their offense is seriously lacking
I was insinuating we were playing worse. Struggling is understandable but not to this extent. We still have the Sedins, Burrows and a slew of top notch defensemen. We should not be getting so easily overpowered. Even without Kesler, we are a better team than many. We're simply not playing like one.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:26 AM
Steve Bennett*

Missed this game, could someone summarize or direct me to a post that summarizes it? Don't really wanna scan through hundreds of posts to get a summary.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
Missed this game, could someone summarize or direct me to a post that summarizes it? Don't really wanna scan through hundreds of posts to get a summary.
We choked and lost in a shootout.

Heads will roll.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
AV took the team into lockdown mode. Blew up in his face.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

One of these days they should try Chris Tanev in the shootout, for no reason. It surely couldn't make them any worse at it.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
One of these days they should try Chris Tanev in the shootout, for no reason. It surely couldn't make them any worse at it.
Why not just automatically surrender when we hit SO? Saves everyone time.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Hutzler

A 2 goal lead is the worst lead to have and we have proven that statement 3 times already.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

After a night to cool down...we will be fine. Team is getting better. All these teams have had key guys playing in Europe over the lockout. Our team is just getting up to speed. It isn't a coincidence that Hansen and Kassian have been our best forwards so far.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
AV took the team into lockdown mode. Blew up in his face.
In this case being second game of a back to back and 3rd in 4 nights he had very little choice. They didn't have the legs and were simply trying to squeak out 2 points. I would to say "open it up and score another" but i don't really think they could open it up without being caught up ice over and over again.

Still don't underestimate the one point. They are going to be treading water until they get Kesler back (you know that Selke winning second line center who is a pretty important part of the team). I'll be happy if they keep their heads above water until that time.

Kassian....doing everything he needs to be doing to continue getting good minutes. Responsible defensively, putting pucks on net, going to the net, fighting to inspire the team, and making sure no Sedin mugging is going on.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:32 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
In this case being second game of a back to back and 3rd in 4 nights he had very little choice. They didn't have the legs and were simply trying to squeak out 2 points. I would to say "open it up and score another" but i don't really think they could open it up without being caught up ice over and over again.

Still don't underestimate the one point. They are going to be treading water until they get Kesler back (you know that Selke winning second line center who is a pretty important part of the team). I'll be happy if they keep their heads above water until that time.

Kassian....doing everything he needs to be doing to continue getting good minutes. Responsible defensively, putting pucks on net, going to the net, fighting to inspire the team, and making sure no Sedin mugging is going on.
Also worth mentioning: Schroeder looks like an NHLer, fantastic to see. Not a single one of our top 4 defensemen has looked ready to play yet, not fantastic to see.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Also before this thread dies completely, I'm 85% sure Randy Newman is still alive. I don't think Paul (from Slapshot) is though.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Also before this thread dies completely, I'm 85% sure Randy Newman is still alive. I don't think Paul (from Slapshot) is though.
Don't know about the former, but yes, the latter passed away not that long ago.

Next pre-game thread is up - shutting this down.

Closed.

Closed Thread