Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Halifax Mooseheads 2012-13 Season Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Libbs

vCash: 500
Good thing we were playing Sherebrook tonight... We made a LOT of silly mistakes. Maybe it was them taking their opponent too lightly.

Fournier was a beast tonight. Maybe his best game this season. He used his sized effectively behind the net, imposed himself with a few hits, 1G 2A and a pretty good scrap.

MacKinnon is trying too hard right now to score... he's trying to force things to happen.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 AM
RJQuack

Yeah I didn't like the way we played tonight ... Could have been better ... a team like Sherbrooke makes it look better, but we still did a great job of cycling and controlling the play.

Real games tomorrow. Hope we're more ready for that one.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Libbs

The effort was there tonight (as the Moose controlled the majority of the game)... but the execution was awful! Quebec played an OK enough game... but really Halifax beat themselves.

The PP was ugly to say the least. When it's working, they keep it simple. Tonight they tried to be way too fancy, no one was crowding the net, and they kept the puck to the perimeter and didn't collapse down towards the net to create traffic.

That first disallowed goal was in no doubt. It hit the pad inside the post (hence why there was no "clang" when the puck came out as well was the velocity of the puck severely reduced when it came out). The ref even called it a goal on the ice and have no idea what video they would have had to disprove that.

The officials were garbage tonight... right from puck drop. Langdon is one of the worst refs I've seen.

Fucale needs to stop that 2nd goal. We had just scored to take the lead and lets in a softy... pretty much killed any momentum we had.

I sure hope Nate breaks out of his funk soon. Trying to skate through 4 guys every time isn't going to help him do it though.

After shouldering the load while the big guns were away, the Boudreau/Ashley/Chiampini line has gone ice cold. They need a goal in the worst way.

Outside of Weegar, our defense had a pretty rough night. Especially Murphy! I understand he's going to be a great anchor on our blueline for the next couple of seasons, but he's not the player we needed right now. We needed a 19yo vet back there. The loss of Gillard (yes I know it was a tradeoff for the experience of MacCaulley) is definitely being felt right now.

Last edited by Libbs: 01-26-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Outside of Weegar, our defense had a pretty rough night. Especially Murphy! I understand he's going to be a great anchor on our blueline for the next couple of seasons, but he's not the player we needed right now. We needed a 19yo vet back there. The loss of Gillard (yes I know it was a tradeoff for the experience of MacCaulley) is definitely being felt right now.
Agree with everything else you said except this. Defense is not the problem, and wasn't tonight. They just didn't capitalize on offensive opportunities. Murphy has been playing terrific as of late, I'll agree it wasn't his strongest game, especially holding the blue line in the offensive end, but his play defensively wasn't a liability tonight.

Strange of have a night where we lose because of the offense, but that was the case tonight, coupled with the bad PP.

Quebec played hard defensively, I have no issues taking a lose to them in January.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
The effort was there tonight (as the Moose controlled the majority of the game)... but the execution was awful! Quebec played an OK enough game... but really Halifax beat themselves.

The PP was ugly to say the least. When it's working, they keep it simple. Tonight they tried to be way too fancy, no one was crowding the net, and they kept the puck to the perimeter and didn't collapse down towards the net to create traffic.
Agreed on the effort and the powerplay, Moose probably deserved to win that game.

Quote:
Fucale needs to stop that 2nd goal. We had just scored to take the lead and lets in a softy... pretty much killed any momentum we had.
That was a tip with a bit of a screen.. I feel like the the 1st goal would have been the easiest for Fucale out of the three.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

D was brutal. Couldn't handle the puck to save their lives. constantly missed passes on the breakout I wanted to jump from my ****** nose bleed seats

nobody gets it deep. everyone just trying to get some oohs and ahhs. what a disaster.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:00 AM
RJQuack

So ..... The defense is getting the most criticism for this loss? What?

Weegar played one of the best games I've seen him play ... Konrad was doing his normal thing ... Murphy made several good moves with the puck. Aside from failing to hold the puck in a couple times, no problem with him ... Lovell looked great, and threw his weight around ... Lewis was never on the ice for a goal and missed a third of the game ... So is this all falling on Hardie? I'm confused...

The defense was not the problem tonight ... In fact there was no problem. Brassard was on fire and we couldn't capitalize on chances if anything ... No blame can be placed to one person or anything like that ... Fucale was just ok ... The PP was pretty dreadful, incredibly frustrating seeing the amount of talent we can through out there, and the lack of execution.

2nd line can stand to be broken up .. Beauchemin could possibly take Ciampini's spot, so could MacAulay...

Frustrating night at the MC ... I don't think these teams are done though ... I see a playoff series, which would be a dandy.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
So ..... The defense is getting the most criticism for this loss? What?
I know I'm not laying the blame on the D... just thought they had an off game. The GWG was Murphy not picking up his guy so he was free to tap in the net.

Outside of a few flashy glove saves, Brossard wasn't really challenged all that much. I would say a majority of the shots he faced were weak perimeter shots right into his pads/chest.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
kalvincline

I can't say anything about the D up to the first goal as I literally walked in the upper bowl entrance to see a scramble in front of Fucale and then the goal light went on. After that the D was good enough to get a win.

The Rempart had 7 DS (dangerous shots) so other than the goals they had 3 DS. The Mooseheads had 14 DS or if you prefer, 12 DS stopped. The offense didn't have it tonight.

1) MacKinnon breakaway,
2) Drouin a breakaway,
3) Nate & Johnny had a two on one in which they made 8 passes in the last 6 ft.
4) Fournier missed a 2 footer
5) Ashley missed one at the side of the net
6) Fournier could of tied the game up with 50 seconds if he had waited until the puck went below the cross bar
7) Frk's Goal??

And don't forget the fact the PP units were scared to death to shoot the puck for fear of the crowd cheering (I really can't think of a better reason)

In summary, the D performance probably should be mentioned in the game summary. As for be worried about these guys in the playoffs...I was last year but not this year. That goalie can't do that 4 out of 7 games and this is a 6th place team for a reason...they are/were overrated. Great individual talents but they're all playing for draft positions. They'll get 1 maybe 2 wins against us if they make it that far.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Flyers12

Return on my trip :

What a game saturday night! Realy the best game of the Remparts from a long time ago. Nothing to say on any players or the coaching staff. When Mooseheads take a 2-1 lead in 3rd period, I was very anxious, but Remparts players stayed calm and score 2 minutes later to create the tie 2-2. Realy solid game in front of more than 10 500 Mooseheads fans. MacKinnon played this game? We didn't see him.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers12 View Post
Return on my trip :

What a game saturday night! Realy the best game of the Remparts from a long time ago. Nothing to say on any players or the coaching staff. When Mooseheads take a 2-1 lead in 3rd period, I was very anxious, but Remparts players stayed calm and score 2 minutes later to create the tie 2-2. Realy solid game in front of more than 10 500 Mooseheads fans. MacKinnon played this game? We didn't see him.
Well he had an assist and 5 shots...so yes, he played. The 2nd line was a lot more invisible than Mackinnon was.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
RJQuack

Is that a shot at the Mooseheads fans? Because MacKinnon was he most noticeable player for either side really, lol

Old
01-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Reesor01

I don't think this particular game was on the defence either. Were we supposed to win 2-1? We usually score 5 goals/game and we scored 2 Saturday night. A combination of great goaltending from Brassard, and the Moose not being able to finish were our undoing. That and Quebec completely shut us down after the Frk goal.

I tried to get a "We win on aggregate" chant going Saturday night with no luck.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I'd give the first star of the weekend to the crazy redhead

Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

Go to Moose games however don't post very often, my take on the D...

Overall it's good but not great. The clear strength of this team lies in the forward depth. There are better defence corps' in the league which worries me if I'm Halifax, they're really going to need the use of all 4 lines against some of the better teams (BLB for example has strong D in their top 4 which can match against the top 2 lines).

KA is a great skater and puck-mover. You can really see the progression he's made over his time here. In his first year I'm pretty sure he wrote the book on 'rookie mistakes'. He's gotten much better down low and 1-1, and has developed the poise with the puck to be able to control the flow and breakout when he gets the puck in his own end. Clearly our best puck-mover.

For me, the book is still out on Murphy. I like the move long-term if we're trying to sustain a 2 year dominance ala Saint John, however I'm not sold the move was best for the D right now. Losing Duke kinda emphasized that as they lost 3 D for 1 in kind of a hurry. Lovell is a good skater and puckmover as well but wouldn't want to have him playing anything other than sheltered minutes 5 on 5 in the playoffs. Back to Murphy, he's great with the puck, and once he settles in with the forwards I think we'll see some increased use of the stretch pass to utilize the speed of the forward group. Murphy's really aggressive 1-1 and likes to pressure the puck but can get him in trouble sometimes. He doesn't have the size to handle some of the bigger skilled forwards in the league. Overall he's smart and skilled, evident he has a lot of tools that make him a good puckmover. Interested to see what he'll do in a full year next year in what I can only assume will be top minutes.

Trey Lewis is the best defensive defenceman we have. Extraordinary shot blocker and great PKer, really gritty, physical defenceman. You can tell his teammates really love him. The rock on D. If I could I'd have him paired with Murphy and pair KA with Duke when he gets back. I can see the idea behind pairing Lewis and KA though as I trust KA just a bit more against top line forwards (big difference between him and Murphy is age/exp and the couple inches KA has).

Overall I think Gillard is definitely a player the Mooseheads could use. So is MacAuley. I think the shifting factor for Mooseheads management was the Mem Cup experience, which nobody on the squad has. I like the ability to roll 4 lines in any situation. With the currrent line roll-out, Brent Andrews is the best 4th line center you may ever see in this league.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
Go to Moose games however don't post very often, my take on the D...

Overall it's good but not great. The clear strength of this team lies in the forward depth. There are better defence corps' in the league which worries me if I'm Halifax, they're really going to need the use of all 4 lines against some of the better teams (BLB for example has strong D in their top 4 which can match against the top 2 lines).

KA is a great skater and puck-mover. You can really see the progression he's made over his time here. In his first year I'm pretty sure he wrote the book on 'rookie mistakes'. He's gotten much better down low and 1-1, and has developed the poise with the puck to be able to control the flow and breakout when he gets the puck in his own end. Clearly our best puck-mover.

For me, the book is still out on Murphy. I like the move long-term if we're trying to sustain a 2 year dominance ala Saint John, however I'm not sold the move was best for the D right now. Losing Duke kinda emphasized that as they lost 3 D for 1 in kind of a hurry. Lovell is a good skater and puckmover as well but wouldn't want to have him playing anything other than sheltered minutes 5 on 5 in the playoffs. Back to Murphy, he's great with the puck, and once he settles in with the forwards I think we'll see some increased use of the stretch pass to utilize the speed of the forward group. Murphy's really aggressive 1-1 and likes to pressure the puck but can get him in trouble sometimes. He doesn't have the size to handle some of the bigger skilled forwards in the league. Overall he's smart and skilled, evident he has a lot of tools that make him a good puckmover. Interested to see what he'll do in a full year next year in what I can only assume will be top minutes.

Trey Lewis is the best defensive defenceman we have. Extraordinary shot blocker and great PKer, really gritty, physical defenceman. You can tell his teammates really love him. The rock on D. If I could I'd have him paired with Murphy and pair KA with Duke when he gets back. I can see the idea behind pairing Lewis and KA though as I trust KA just a bit more against top line forwards (big difference between him and Murphy is age/exp and the couple inches KA has).

Overall I think Gillard is definitely a player the Mooseheads could use. So is MacAuley. I think the shifting factor for Mooseheads management was the Mem Cup experience, which nobody on the squad has. I like the ability to roll 4 lines in any situation. With the currrent line roll-out, Brent Andrews is the best 4th line center you may ever see in this league.

Lovell is a decent player, but his inexperience shows, and if we get to the Memorial Cup, I shudder to think what the top forward lines from the WHL and OHL could do to him.

Agree on Murphy. I think part of the problem is that he's still figuring out what his role is on this team. He really just needs to simplify his game, he's a smart guy who could be very effective come playoff time.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
bigdirty

Four points for Drouin, three points for Mackinnon, shutout for Fucale.
Take that, everyone else in Bob McKenzie's draft rankings.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:03 AM
CrosKinnon

Nice to see Fucale finally get that shutout

Old
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
Four points for Drouin, three points for Mackinnon, shutout for Fucale.
Take that, everyone else in Bob McKenzie's draft rankings.
Where did Fucale land?

Old
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Where did Fucale land?
22nd

Old
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Libbs

Fucale is still the top rated goalie in the draft. You can't very much hold a goalie to the same standard as the other players.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:33 AM
RJQuack

We beat Baie-Comeau today, 3-1 ... In a battle of #1 vs. #2, the number two team put on a lot of pressure and had 354 shots in the end ... Fucale won us the game, but important to this was we capitalized on our chances, unlike last week against Quebec.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
We beat Baie-Comeau today, 3-1 ... In a battle of #1 vs. #2, the number two team put on a lot of pressure and had 354 shots in the end ... Fucale won us the game, but important to this was we capitalized on our chances, unlike last week against Quebec.
Fucale, #1 overall!

But what a great weekend for the kid. Sucks that he got scored on in the last minute of this one.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

Big test on Friday in Moncton, as they've been pretty hot lately with Danault/Jaskin leading the way.

Nationally televised on Sportsnet, although the Moose have struggled in games on Sportsnet in recent memory. Last years game vs Rimouski was difficult to watch.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
HFX902

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
Big test on Friday in Moncton, as they've been pretty hot lately with Danault/Jaskin leading the way.

Nationally televised on Sportsnet, although the Moose have struggled in games on Sportsnet in recent memory. Last years game vs Rimouski was difficult to watch.
Pretty sure tonight is the big test.

Closed Thread