HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

I could handle a bad season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
  #51
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Good Lord...the team's been rebuilding for years and you want to strip it down to the point where a guy playing for the Cutthroats has to be put on the roster? Not even the Oilers could fail on purpose so spectacularly. I'm guessing if the Avs did something so stupid the league would be investigating them.

And "if we are going to lose let's do it right." is an oxymoron. You can't fail correctly. New rules regarding the draft don't reward the worst team in the league like they used to.
Really "Strip it Down" our defense is horrific they have made this team based around nhl journeymen they could sign to cheap contracts. It doesn't work that way you will not win with these defensemen Its not stipping it down to trade depth dmen to contenders. And as much as I was trying not to mention it looking for grammatical errors in something typed sarcastically is just rediculous.

A last note, the league does still reward the worst team in the league have the best chance to get the best picks, just like before the worst they can do is second overall, just instead of the old 48% chance at the first its closer to 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
Let`s not overreact, we had a bad game in 4. And we were playing against possibly the best team in the league.
At least this game against the Sharks clearly showed what the team is lacking... some puck movers at the blue line.
I also think that we need somebody else to play with Statsny. IMO Landy should be playing with him and Hejduk with Duchene.
ALSO WE NEED RADAR BACK!
I thought this whole thread was a little bit of an overreaction my post had little to do with the current results from the team, I personally think we are a bubble eighth seed, however with 48 games its very easy to fall out of the race and if we do I think the focus should be on drammatically changing our D

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:39 PM
  #52
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
Really "Strip it Down" our defense is horrific they have made this team based around nhl journeymen they could sign to cheap contracts. It doesn't work that way you will not win with these defensemen Its not stipping it down to trade depth dmen to contenders. And as much as I was trying not to mention it looking for grammatical errors in something typed sarcastically is just rediculous.
Didn't pick up your sarcasm, unfortunately far more erroneous statements get posted here. That's why we have the emoticon.

As for any grammatical errors, not sure what you're talking about. I wasn't pointing out anything like that. I couldn't care less about typos or grammatical flubs.

Agreed, our defense is pretty bad...but making it even worse is not a solution. We already have placeholders where hopefully some of our top defensive prospects will eventually replace. Putting them in when they're not ready is just going to make things worse for the team and their development.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:55 PM
  #53
Drizzt1
Registered User
 
Drizzt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
As defense goes, if Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce remain playing for the Monsters, I'd keep Wilson and Johnson. Rest would be gone, if we were to truly strip it down. Next season, I call up Siemens. Elliott gets another try. We attempt to acquire a "decent" free agent, not more scrubs.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:56 PM
  #54
outoftune
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 1000 Chopper Circle
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Didn't pick up your sarcasm, unfortunately far more erroneous statements get posted here. That's why we have the emoticon.

As for any grammatical errors, not sure what you're talking about. I wasn't pointing out anything like that. I couldn't care less about typos or grammatical flubs.

Agreed, our defense is pretty bad...but making it even worse is not a solution. We already have placeholders where hopefully some of our top defensive prospects will eventually replace. Putting them in when they're not ready is just going to make things worse for the team and their development.
I agree with the idea that making the D worse is never the answer but I am coming from the idea that by letting the younger class play it's easier to judge if they are ready to make the jump and if not you have the offseason to fix the problem externally...... Of coarse this is all assuming the avs are out of the playoffs early (hopefully not)


EDIT: Unfortunately this may all be mute as most of the contracts on or D make them valueless

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:39 PM
  #55
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
I agree with the idea that making the D worse is never the answer but I am coming from the idea that by letting the younger class play it's easier to judge if they are ready to make the jump and if not you have the offseason to fix the problem externally...... Of coarse this is all assuming the avs are out of the playoffs early (hopefully not)


EDIT: Unfortunately this may all be mute as most of the contracts on or D make them valueless
Eh, none of the contracts for the Avs' defensemen are all that bad. Only Hejda's might be a bit difficult to move. If/when one of their defensive prospects shows he's ready, they'll move/waive one of the veterans to make room. The thing that sucks is that there's no real viable puckmoving defenders available right now.

I'm much, much more concerned about our pop-gun offense up front. There's no real answer for that problem in the system at present.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
  #56
Avsboy
Registered User
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Eh, none of the contracts for the Avs' defensemen are all that bad. Only Hejda's might be a bit difficult to move. If/when one of their defensive prospects shows he's ready, they'll move/waive one of the veterans to make room. The thing that sucks is that there's no real viable puckmoving defenders available right now.

I'm much, much more concerned about our pop-gun offense up front. There's no real answer for that problem in the system at present.
There's Nathan Mackinnon.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:10 PM
  #57
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,514
vCash: 50
I'd take a 9th place finish and a lottery win

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:47 PM
  #58
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 10,978
vCash: 500
The Sherman era has seen Colorado exchange both goalies and every defenseman except one (Ryan Wilson) over the past three seasons. Offensively they've made enough key additions to consider the forward group vastly different than the one current management inherited.

Bottom line, if this season doesn't end with the Avalanche - at worst - a few points out of a playoff spot, it's time to dust off the guillotine.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:15 AM
  #59
finds71
Registered User
 
finds71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: not far away
Country: France
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
The Sherman era has seen Colorado exchange both goalies and every defenseman except one (Ryan Wilson) over the past three seasons. Offensively they've made enough key additions to consider the forward group vastly different than the one current management inherited.

Bottom line, if this season doesn't end with the Avalanche - at worst - a few points out of a playoff spot, it's time to dust off the guillotine.
I hope that by that you mean "fire Sacco"

finds71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:59 AM
  #60
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,483
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I'd take a 9th place finish and a lottery win
This may be best case scenario. The Avs aren't quite ready to compete, but if they show that they are at least in the mix, with significant progress from our young players, then I'd be pretty happy. If they somehow manage to win the lottery and score the number 1, well that's a really tasty cherry on top.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
  #61
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I'd take a 9th place finish and a lottery win
I know that they changed the rules , but i'm guessing that if we finish 9th , our chances of winning the lotory would probably be very slim.

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
  #62
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I know that they changed the rules , but i'm guessing that if we finish 9th , our chances of winning the lotory would probably be very slim.
Yah, but they're much better than they were before.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
  #63
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yah, but they're much better than they were before.
oh yes , no argument there .

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:08 AM
  #64
billybobjoe1881
Registered User
 
billybobjoe1881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 50
I'm ready for Seth Jones.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:47 AM
  #65
Steve Varmalov
And Then....
 
Steve Varmalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder
Country: United States
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Not sure if I can handle a bad season.... too painful

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
  #66
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,625
vCash: 500
Screw my earlier stance, I AM concerned about the defense.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
  #67
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,514
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Screw my earlier stance, I AM concerned about the defense.
What's a defense?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:00 AM
  #68
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
What's a defense?
We have a defense, it's name is Erik Johnson.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
  #69
Steve Varmalov
And Then....
 
Steve Varmalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder
Country: United States
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
What's a defense?
I have heard of a defense in legend but have never seen one, tell me a story of one?

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:41 AM
  #70
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
What's a defense?
And if we're gonna be that bad on defense, we might as well let Barrie play and get as much NHL experience as possible.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:31 AM
  #71
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go
 
Pirate Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 50
Kroenke won't spend money on keeping current talent (flash, factor, etc) or signing top talent so the only way to get elite talent is to suck and suck hard so I'm ok with losing to get elite talent.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:22 AM
  #72
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Kroenke won't spend money on keeping current talent (flash, factor, etc) or signing top talent so the only way to get elite talent is to suck and suck hard so I'm ok with losing to get elite talent.
This team is just too good to be in total tank mode. Our situation sucks.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:24 AM
  #73
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
Come At Me, Bro!
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
This team is just too good to be in total tank mode. Our situation sucks.
That didn't stop the Oilers the last few years.

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:26 AM
  #74
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
That didn't stop the Oilers the last few years.
They sucked though. No goaltending or defense. We are only missing defense and hard work from offense.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
  #75
finds71
Registered User
 
finds71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: not far away
Country: France
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
And if we're gonna be that bad on defense, we might as well let Barrie play and get as much NHL experience as possible.
YES and YES! Also bring up Elliot!

finds71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.