HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Justin Schultz

Old
01-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Baby Nilsson

vCash: 500
I think someone mentioned that he's like a Nugent-Hopkins on Defense.. I would say that's a pretty good assessment based on his vision, speed, deceptive shot and his ability to distribute the puck very very quickly.

Anyway, yeah, he's so awesome

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 PM
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Sure, I agree. But it doesn't stop anyone from praising the other surefire studs after four games. God forbid anyone mention an Oiler though, it's the double standard that bugs me.
Our team still sucks, haven't proven anything at the NHL level, and yet the Edmonton posters singing the Oilers premature praises are myriad. I don't think it's so much a double standard as a reaction to having it rubbed in their faces by entitled fans who haven't any reason to brag yet... 3 years worth of that.

That said, I find a lot of the Oil threads started on the main boards aren't even from EDM fans, so that's weird.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Hoogaar23

Not to be overly optimistic, but I think it's a foregone conclusion that Scultz will win the Calder AND the Norris this year.

Is he still eligible to win the AHL rookie of the year as well? If so, give him that one too.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Not to be overly optimistic, but I think it's a foregone conclusion that Scultz will win the Calder AND the Norris this year.

Is he still eligible to win the AHL rookie of the year as well? If so, give him that one too.
They were talking about it on the Colorado telecast that Schultz could be the first to win the AHL ROY and the Calder. Be a pretty sweet for the kid if he's the first Oiler ever to win it. Especially when you consider the amount of talent that has come through E-Town.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

No points tonight. Trade him quick.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:23 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm not sure you can really say we "lost" the offersheet.

Anaheim ended up with Jake Gardiner, Nic Deschamps, Eric O'Dell, Justin Schultz and MAB.

All they have to show for it is Francois Beachemin(from Gardiner trade) and Brandon McMillan(from MAB trade) now.

Compare that to the near 4 seasons of Penner and the acquisition of Teubert, Klefbom and Zharkov we got.
Exactly. Anaheim lost the offersheet.

All they got in return for Penner was a few years of Beauchemin on the downside of his career, and a tweener.

The Oilers got 3.5 seasons where Penner was one of their top 3 forwards and 3 solid prospects, including Klefbom who is has future #2 Dman written all over him.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:41 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Norris and J.Schultz

I know it's very early to even be talking about J.Schultz and the Norris trophy but its not out of the question this guy could potentially lead d-men in points this year. Coupled with playing in all situations while leading the team in ice time I think he should be warranted being in the discussion ala karlsson last year. I would argue he was only in the discussion last year because he led in points by so much.

Anyway my question is, if he did end up leading NHL dmen in points while keeping up his solid defensive play, could he be in the discussion even as a rookie?

I get the feeling he wouldn't as a lot of people would call fluke and point to abstract stats ala unsustainable Eberle. But, our power play is projecting to be right there at the top and he's a main fixture. Top in points does not seem as far fetched as most would have thought 7 months ago.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:28 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I know it's very early to even be talking about J.Schultz and the Norris trophy but its not out of the question this guy could potentially lead d-men in points this year. Coupled with playing in all situations while leading the team in ice time I think he should be warranted being in the discussion ala karlsson last year. I would argue he was only in the discussion last year because he led in points by so much.

Anyway my question is, if he did end up leading NHL dmen in points while keeping up his solid defensive play, could he be in the discussion even as a rookie?

I get the feeling he wouldn't as a lot of people would call fluke and point to abstract stats ala unsustainable Eberle. But, our power play is projecting to be right there at the top and he's a main fixture. Top in points does not seem as far fetched as most would have thought 7 months ago.
Karlsson didn't win it by much and he was the (tied) leader in goals and won the d-men scoring race by 25 points (11th place if you include all skaters)... Furthermore he had a solid +-, TOI/G, playing in all situations, etc.. Still he was nowhere near being a lock for the Norris...

JS has been great but he is not even close right now.

Relax dude, it's better to have high hopes for the Calder trophy. The JS for the Norris discussion should be held off for now.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:39 AM
OilForFood

vCash: 450
Quote:

I think we should be more than happy if he wins the Calder. In saying that, there is no doubt he'll score some votes for the Norris.

OilForFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:58 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
oops jinxed him thx

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:47 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Forget the Norris, it's a safe bet that Pietrangelo will win it long before him.

However, if he could win rookie of the year in both AHL and NHL, that would be quite a unique feat already, which he could, unless he gets Landeskogged by a rookie with more intangibles and as many points in 20 more GP in the AHL, which is very likely to happen. (or in the Calder vote too for that matter...)

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Hemsky4PM

Calder votes will be there. I actually think he'll take it as long as he's healthy most of the shortened season. There is always a bia towards defensemen if they are high end.

In the last 14 seasons 3 Calders have gone to defencemen: Berard, Jackman and Myers.

3 to goaltenders (also slanted in their favour) Nabokov, Raycroft and Mason.

Actually...looking at this list...do we want Schultz to win this award???

Malkin, P. Kane and Skinner (too early) are the only winners in the past 15+ years who haven't had a significant injury or had some severe tank seasons (Drury, Gomez, Berard, Mason, Raycroft, Samsonov, Ovechkin, Heatley...)

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Calder votes will be there. I actually think he'll take it as long as he's healthy most of the shortened season. There is always a bia towards defensemen if they are high end.

In the last 14 seasons 3 Calders have gone to defencemen: Berard, Jackman and Myers.

3 to goaltenders (also slanted in their favour) Nabokov, Raycroft and Mason.

Actually...looking at this list...do we want Schultz to win this award???

Malkin, P. Kane and Skinner (too early) are the only winners in the past 15+ years who haven't had a significant injury or had some severe tank seasons (Drury, Gomez, Berard, Mason, Raycroft, Samsonov, Ovechkin, Heatley...)
Simple answer: yes.

I want Schultz to win it with Yakupov as the runner-up... Or the other way around.

The trophy itself doesn't interest me (although I think that the players in question would very much enjoy it), but it would mean that both of them had great seasons which could mean that we ended up in the playoffs...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Amos665

As much as I like J. Schultz, Pietrangelo is the best defensemen in the game, and if anyone other than him wins it will be an upset. But in a couple years most definitely he should be a contender for the trophy.

I'm hoping that he wins the Calder, but that trophy seems like a jinx.

Amos665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 507
Quote:

I do think it is WAY to early to have this discussion.
one thing I will mention is all the points in the world will do nothing for his chances if the Oilers are not in the playoffs.
he won't get a sniff no matter what he does, if the team he plays for sucks in the standings.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
misfit

Schultz and his season aside, a rookie will never win the Norris (or a Vezina).

01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Psychoil

I'm really happy you made this thread..... In our hf section, cus these are the threads that make us look terrible on the main boards

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I do think it is WAY to early to have this discussion.
one thing I will mention is all the points in the world will do nothing for his chances if the Oilers are not in the playoffs.
he won't get a sniff no matter what he does, if the team he plays for sucks in the standings.
This year, dream hockey:

We beat Calgary
Oilers make playoffs
Eberle hits 50 points
Hemsky traded for good D (Russian for Yak)
Eberle wins Byng
Schultz wins Norris (just too many points to overlook)
Yak wins Calder
Pjarvi finds his scoring mojo
Hall doesnt get injured
Whitney returns to awesome
Nuge gets game and makes all the above happen

Khabibulin retires
Horcoff closer to fair salary

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:59 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Schultz and his season aside, a rookie will never win the Norris (or a Vezina).
Tom Barasso disagrees.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
This year, dream hockey:

We beat Calgary
Oilers make playoffs
Eberle hits 50 points
Eberle wins Byng
Yak wins Calder
Hall doesnt get injured

Khabibulin retires
In this scenario, Yak would also have to win the Richard trophy to beat Schultz out for Calder.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

Thank god for Schultz. I was looking up the stats for our D and other than him, they are generating next to no offense. I don't know where we'd be without him. As for the Norris, he's doing very good, but so are a lot of other more established D-men right now.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

No chance he will win the Norris in his rookie year. None.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post
Our team still sucks, haven't proven anything at the NHL level, and yet the Edmonton posters singing the Oilers premature praises are myriad. I don't think it's so much a double standard as a reaction to having it rubbed in their faces by entitled fans who haven't any reason to brag yet... 3 years worth of that.

That said, I find a lot of the Oil threads started on the main boards aren't even from EDM fans, so that's weird.
I don't see a lot of people bragging and rubbing our guys in other people faces. I can only think of one or two of our posters who are like that. Most of the time people rag on our players, our posters defend them, and then we're told that we're bragging and being unreasonable. And like you said, most of the time we don't even start those threads. I really do think there is a double standard on this board.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
This year, dream hockey:

We beat Calgary
Oilers make playoffs
Eberle hits 50 points
Eberle wins Byng
Yak wins Calder
Hall doesnt get injured

Khabibulin retires
Buy a lottery ticket. About the same chance as that all of these happen.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I would think a d-man has a harder time making an impact and minimizing mistakes compared to a forward.

I think absolutely Schultz should be in the running, even if he ends up in the top 5 in rookie points.

He already looks seasoned to me. Just so calm.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote