HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
01-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Cody Hodgson

vCash: 500
Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Jordan Schroeder is really impressing me. 4 games in and he doesn't give me any concerns about his game at the NHL level. He might wear down a little as the season goes down from the physical toll that is the NHL but I definitely see a long NHL career from him. He's just too smart and has a ton of speed and tenacity.

I'm a Cody Hodgson fan too regardless of how the situation turned out in Vancouver. I'll still wish him the best but I've actually been impressed with Schroeder more than I have with Hodgson during his time here. Hodgson will probably have better offensive numbers but in terms of a complete 2 way game it's not even close.

He has actually fared pretty well for the most part regarding face offs which is a huge challenge for rookies, I know it's 5 games in but as of now he's one of the better face off players on our team now. It's funny because we all labelled Hodgson that 2 way player who wins big faceoffs when he got drafted yet those are a majority of his struggles..

Tonight Schroeder showed another solid outing and was our best face off man going 7 wins 4 losses in the dot.

The problem with Hodgson is that he's only really effective in the Offensive zone of the ice and PP situations because he doesn't have to have his speed exposed.

Thoughts? Can he actually be better than Hodgson? Looks a lot more polished and I could see him putting up bigger numbers than Hodgson if he was in between Pom and Vanek based on what I've seen from both players this year.

I guess it's the opposite of what Buffalo is going through in that they felt Kassian was expendable because Foligno was showing more promise within their organization.

Last edited by Cody Hodgson: 01-29-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Cody Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Ovaltine

I don't think Schroeder can really be called better then Hodgson just because of their different abilities but for the Canucks Schroeder's the better player just because of the lack of speed and finesse (thats why we suck at shootouts) we already have oodles of smart playmakers and another one just makes us a one trick pony. Plus Raymond is the best pure sniper on the team right now....we may need another one.

Ovaltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Schroeder's transition to the NHL has been quite good but Hodgson is clearly a much more dangerous offensive player IMO. Hodgson's shot is outstanding but more importantly, he constantly crashes the front of the net looking for defelections and rebounds. That's a must if you want to score goals at the NHL level with any regularity. Haven't seen that yet from Schroeder and it'll hinder him from producing.

Schroeder also doesn't have any 1 on 1 moves to speak of. A player with his quickness, agility and stickhandling should be able to attack defenders with the puck but I don't think I've ever seen Schroeder succeed doing this, or even attempt to for that matter. Hopefully Glen Carnegie can teach Schroeder a few tricks to get through or around NHL dmen.

Schroeder looks like an NHL player, which at this stage is a plus. Hopefully he can add some offensive wrinkles to his attack and stay there.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Land O Lakes

It's a shame he was benched after 5 minutes remained in the third (assuming his groin was not aggravated), it would've been a great situation for him to experience. He's been a treat to watch so far. Great decision making.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Schroeder's transition to the NHL has been quite good but Hodgson is clearly a much more dangerous offensive player IMO. Hodgson's shot is outstanding but more importantly, he constantly crashes the front of the net looking for defelections and rebounds. That's a must if you want to score goals at the NHL level with any regularity. Haven't seen that yet from Schroeder and it'll hinder him from producing.

Schroeder also doesn't have any 1 on 1 moves to speak of. A player with his quickness, agility and stickhandling should be able to attack defenders with the puck but I don't think I've ever seen Schroeder succeed doing this, or even attempt to for that matter. Hopefully Glen Carnegie can teach Schroeder a few tricks to get through or around NHL dmen.

Schroeder looks like an NHL player, which at this stage is a plus. Hopefully he can add some offensive wrinkles to his attack and stay there.
Fair assessment. The one thing I would add is that Schroeder is not taking a whole lot of chances right now so his offensive game looks more stale than it really is. Weise, as hard as he's working, is not suited for an offensive role and hasn't really meshed with Mason or Jordan. Those two could use someone like Kassian.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Fair assessment. The one thing I would add is that Schroeder is not taking a whole lot of chances right now so his offensive game looks more stale than it really is. Weise, as hard as he's working, is not suited for an offensive role and hasn't really meshed with Mason or Jordan. Those two could use someone like Kassian.
Even when I watch Schroeder at the AHL level I find he doesn't attack the opposition enough. I've rarely seen him attempt an inside/outisde move or any creative 1 on 1 trick to beat a defender. IMO that's the single biggest knock on his game and what is holding him back from producing as a pro. Watch Eberle in contrast and he takes the puck at dmen all night long and finds ways to get shots off prety consistently and make something out of nothing. Hopefully Schroeder can incorporate some of this into his arsenal.

Still waiting for Raymond and Burrows to play alongside Schroeder on the 2nd line. AV will figure it out eventually, unfortunately it's often 5-7 games later then he should.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Even when I watch Schroeder at the AHL level I find he doesn't attack the opposition enough. I've rarely seen him attempt an inside/outisde move or any creative 1 on 1 trick to beat a defender. IMO that's the single biggest knock on his game and what is holding him back from producing as a pro. Watch Eberle in contrast and he takes the puck at dmen all night long and finds ways to get shots off prety consistently and make something out of nothing. Hopefully Schroeder can incorporate some of this into his arsenal.
Yup, I agree. He was better about it this season though compared to last year and started to do it more, but he still has ways to go. I hope that Canucks are working with him on it...

Old
01-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Can't really compare them right now. One is being given a bigger role considering its' his second full season the other is just breaking in the league.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Quote:

Still waiting for Raymond and Burrows to play alongside Schroeder on the 2nd line. AV will figure it out eventually, unfortunately it's often 5-7 games later then he should.
He tried that today. Didn't work, but he tried it. (if I recall, I think he actually went outside/inside, same dif, tried to beat a defender 1 on 1)

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Yossarian54

Bear in mind that Hodgson is two years more experienced, and thus comparing year to year, yes he is absolutely better than 10/11 Hodgson.

Overall however, it is much closer.

If I wanted someone to centre a scoring line, and score goals on the PP, it's absolutely Hodgson.

If I want someone to be a two-way 3rd line centre, it's Schroeder. He has been seriously impressive the last few games. I really think he is our 3rd line centre for the next couple of seasons if he keeps this play up.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Bieksa#3

To me the most encouraging sign about Jordan Schroeder in the past 3 games was that his size was not an issue at all imo. San Jose, Ducks and LA are up there as 3 of the most physical and big teams in the NHL and he held his own fine.

Bieksa#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I agree. Kind of curious how a smaller player doesn't come up through the ranks without dangerous 1 on 1 moves. He's just never needed them I suppose.

It's one thing to learn to play 1 on 1, and quite another to make that material NHL calibre, and an even greater leap to _want_ to beat guys doing that. He's got a looong way to go in this regard.

Tough to say on Hodgson vs. Schroeder. I'd take Hodgson right now because he's still dangerous offensively, but it's early for Schroeder. If he can incorporate some creativity along with his defense... then you've got a real discussion on your hands. Not before.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:24 AM
thefeebster

I remember Schroeder being more dynamic in the WJC than he has been in the past 2 years. I don't know what changed in his head or if it was just the level of competition rising.

I would also say that in Minnesota, his shot was much more of a threat than it is now. His shot is very good, but he either doesn't use it enough, looking to pass too often, or shoots it much too high because he tries to pick the corners. Maybe its confidence, but i'd like to see this refined a bit as well.

Time for a Schroeder Appreciation Thread sans Hodgson talk.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:41 AM
BrandonL

As of right now, Schroeder is a great fit for our bottom six. I think you could probably play him with almost anyone and he would be productive.

Even if things don't work out with Raymond, there are a ton of potential line combos involving Schroeder. I think he would also fit very well with Higgins, Hansen, Booth, and the Lapierre from last season.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

I have very little concern about JS. Hes looked good for a rookie who is undersized. Im really liking his play so far.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Zombotron
For Relaxing Times

An inspiration to short people everywhere. And his presence makes a fully-healthy Canucks lineup so much more deadly.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise
Malhotra

omg hottttttt

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
ubiquitous
*shink*

How's what's his name doing? Cory Hudson?

I'm super excited about Schroeder and as his place on the roster solidifies he will be more willing to take chances. Right now he's playing a safe, defensively solid game and really who can blame him?

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
To me the most encouraging sign about Jordan Schroeder in the past 3 games was that his size was not an issue at all imo. San Jose, Ducks and LA are up there as 3 of the most physical and big teams in the NHL and he held his own fine.
Great point. He looked like a 5'8 forward against the Flames but after that he handled himself extremely well and I notice he's been winning puck battles against guys like Scuderi, Vlasic, and Allen guys much bigger with more experience than him.

I don't want to say he's better than Hodgson but even compared to last year, Schroeder has impressed me more so far. Though Hodgson was given a primarily offensive role which he lit it up which I don't think Schroeder will see the same opportunity, we are looking at a guy who has so far been meeting his expectations from what I heard of him on draft day.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I don't want to say he's better than Hodgson but even compared to last year, Schroeder has impressed me more so far. Though Hodgson was given a primarily offensive role which he lit it up which I don't think Schroeder will see the same opportunity, we are looking at a guy who has so far been meeting his expectations from what I heard of him on draft day.
I brought this up about Kassian (and that is now long moot given his production) but it applies to this case too: Hodgson only had 3 points in his first 10 games last season and 2 points in first 5 games.

I would agree that Schroeder doesn't look as dangerous 1-on-1 as Hodgson but he was also very unlucky not to have any points against Sharks as he had the most scoring chances on our team including one that hit a post. Didn't think he looked as dangerous against the Kings but they're a tough team to play against offensively and he did well in his own zone and on face-offs.

The thing is, if he keeps playing this well defensively and keeps winning those face-offs then he'll get more time to figure out his offensive game.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:59 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I brought this up about Kassian (and that is now long moot given his production) but it applies to this case too: Hodgson only had 3 points in his first 10 games last season and 2 points in first 5 games.

I would agree that Schroeder doesn't look as dangerous 1-on-1 as Hodgson but he was also very unlucky not to have any points against Sharks as he had the most scoring chances on our team including one that hit a post. Didn't think he looked as dangerous against the Kings but they're a tough team to play against offensively and he did well in his own zone and on face-offs.

The thing is, if he keeps playing this well defensively and keeps winning those face-offs then he'll get more time to figure out his offensive game.
He looks like he is still just trying to fit in and not ruffle feathers, but in reality he's on the team, so shoot the damn puck.

That 2nd line has to create scrambles and shoot from anywhere, there not good enough yet to grind the opposition (especially big teams like LA and SJ) with puck possession.

I also agree, Weise looks like a solid bottom sixer, who can move up the lineup when looking for spurts of energy, but right now he's a bit of an anchor on that line.

Colorado game should be good for Schroeder, fairly small, skating team, should be easier to match up with for him....I'm calling it now, JS scores his first NHL goal on Wednesday night.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:00 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Where is the Tanev and Ballard appreciation thread?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
How's what's his name doing? Cory Hudson?

I'm super excited about Schroeder and as his place on the roster solidifies he will be more willing to take chances. Right now he's playing a safe, defensively solid game and really who can blame him?
It seems Buffalo fans are starting to turn on Hodgson. a lot of them are saying Grigorenko is already better defensively. As for Schroeder I knew he'd be able to play up here. He's only going to get better.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Schroeder has looked better defensively to this point, which will keep him in AV's good graces for a lot longer than Hodgson. Hodgson is the superior player offensively, at least at this time.

Both are at different stages of their development, as well, but I still have high hopes for Schroeder.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Thank you for the title change.

The player comparisons have been rampant here lately... more so than usual anyways.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Nash

It's great to see our late round firsts progressing. I hope it continues with Jensen and Gaunce. It bodes well for us to emulate the Detroit model of development.

CH was actually a very good two way player in junior, but his stumpy legs and lack of speed makes it seem like his defensive awareness is poor. I don't think that ever was the case. He just can't skate well enough for effective coverage.

JS on the other hand has speed to burn. It's so much easier to be a sound defensive player when you can recover if you get beaten, and you can close gaps quickly.

I still think JS has elite passing and he will continue to develop that with better line mates on the Canucks. You can see just how good of a passer he is on passes back to the point. They always seem to be perfectly placed.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote