HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
That was to be expected. They (that line) contributed directly to the win yesterday, although I have to say they were also indirectly responsible for NJ coming back too with the coincidental high sticks, but you live with the mistakes also and thankfully we got away with it. It was a freak occurrence and Therrien knows it, and rewarded the Gally's accordingly for their efforts. Most importantly Galchenyuk can now play the 5th game without having the thought of returning to Sarnia in the back of his head if he doesn't wow us a final time (probably going out of his way to do it).

I guess this means Galchenyuk is moving in with Gio now? I wonder what's happening on that front since the Gally's have a bromance going on, and Galchenyuk doesn't play on the second line anymore.
With mom and sis.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
HomaridII

Igor Larionov ‏@Igor2pointO
@AGally94 good job alex #proudofyou

Old
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Igor Larionov ‏@Igor2pointO
@AGally94 good job alex #proudofyou
Why can't I hold all these feels

Old
01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Did anyone else notice he tapped the puck off his stick while deciding of he could make the pass or just shoot? I did... Watch it from a few different points of view. Funny part is he didn't really beat the deffender on the boards, skating in a straight line, but while closing in on Marty.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Why can't I hold all these feels

Old
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
KrejciMVP

Galchenyuk and Dougie Hamilton have been added to both of my fantasy teams

Old
01-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Just listening to TSN 690 right now and Larionov is on there talking about Alex. Makes me very happy that he has Igor as an agent to keep tabs on him and keep him in check. Igor talks about being good friends with Alex's family, so he obviously cares about Alex. Also talking about things like getting Alex a nutritionist. Igor said he has already talked to Bergevin about it.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Just listening to TSN 690 right now and Larionov is on there talking about Alex. Makes me very happy that he has Igor as an agent to keep tabs on him and keep him in check. Igor talks about being good friends with Alex's family, so he obviously cares about Alex. Also talking about things like getting Alex a nutritionist. Igor said he has already talked to Bergevin about it.

Having Igor as a mentor is amazing. Couldn't ask for better.
His insistence on nutrition made me very happy. Young kids don't know how to eat properly, and even most people don't understand optimal nutrition. Do glad he's got that in check.
Glad he spoke to Bergevin about how Gally is much more effective at the center position.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Glad he spoke to Bergevin about how Gally is much more effective at the center position.
Did Igor really say that on radio? Guess you heard it because Tuggy did not mention that.

Interesting...I wonder if that is why suddenly it went from ''Alex is going to play wing if he makes our team'' after the scrimmage...to him being a center 3 days later.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Did Igor really say that on radio? Guess you heard it because Tuggy did not mention that.

Interesting...I wonder if that is why suddenly it went from ''Alex is going to play wing if he makes our team'' after the scrimmage...to him being a center 3 days later.
He didn't go into the details extensively. Don't know if it had anything to do with Therrien's decision either. But he did say that they had discussion about where he fits best and Igor made a strong case for center. How he likes to control the play and makes his linemates better, center is where he should play.
However, as I said, not sure if that had anything to do with the decision to put him on 3rd.
I don't think having him with Plek versus top opponents with more pressure to produce was necessarily the best thing for his development, and I think management knew that but jut wanted to see him play there for a bit.
On a 3rd line, with less responsibilities and weaker opponents, he can thrive. Having a big bro like Prust to keep things civil was a good move too.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Guy is looking more and more like our number one center.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Can't believe people were ripping Galchenyuk's skating during the WJC.

Currently leading our team in points for forwards.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

He was temptative in the wjc or he was not confortable in housley system. Because he sure it isnt a problem.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Undertakerqc

Someone on these board made a galchenyuk Chucky photoshop, can someone post it again, my gf wants to see it.

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 01-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

I think people need to relax when it ones to that tournament

Old
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

And he leads the Habs in ES points, and + -

Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Really wished he pulled that move off on big buff, but either way he is dripping confidence right now and its paying big dividends for the CH

Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Et le But

Galchenyuk on what sports he enjoys watching besides hockey: "Maybe football and...women's beach volleyball."

Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Habsoil

I know its way early but habs are #4 and #5 in rookie scoring.
Playing on the 3rd line! Giving me goose bumps!

Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Forgedias

Watching Alex Galchenyuk play, its becoming obvious that it was a mistake by Phil Housley to turn Galchenyuk into a winger and for the first two games Michel Therrien almost followed that mistake. Happily Therrien seems to be able to quickly adapt and make changes that are for the better for the team when its needed. Under center Galchenyuk has truly blossumed into a dynamic playmaking forward that makes plays. This is what I envision a franchise centerman can do for their club.

There is an intresting dilemma now brewing and Galchenyuk will probably end up in the center of the storm. I'm of course talking about David Desharnais. Some of you are supporters for him and after last season, he deserves to keep his starting center job for the top line. Therrien does have the time to wait and see how the first line will progress offensively especially with Plekanec's and Galchenyuk's line producing points each game, there isn't a desperate rush to make drastic changes to the first line.

But we can already see Therrien is thinking down the line if he can't get the top line scoring, he is exploring his options and we saw that with the Jets game when he paired Erik Cole with Galchenyuk several times and it quickly became apparent that Galchenyuk if he is centering the line can form an easy chemistry with anyone he lines up with. Cole picked up his first goal in the game with Galchenyuk and Gallagher getting assists.

Does this mean we will see more Cole pairings with Galchenyuk, I think so, but Therrien is going to try to stay with Desharnais with Cole for as long as possible. That line may not get as many minutes as their used too, because in the Jets game, Galchenyuk started making appearances on the PP lines and that will take time away from Desharnais. But I don't think Therrien will force the issue until Max Pacioretty comes back from his surgery. Then things are going to come to head and a descision will have to be made.

If the Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty line is still struggling to score, then I do see some changes coming. For some who think Cole should be playing with Galchenyuk and Gallagher, that may happen. But I have a feeling Therrien will move Galchenyuk up to the top line and shift Desharnais down to the third. When and I think it will be when, this happens, then this team will become Galchenyuk's team because he will be paired with the two best scoring wingers on the team. And when both Cole and Pacioretty are clicking, our top line is one of the better ones in the league.

One last thought about the Jets game. When Galchenyuk was paired with Cole and Erik scored his first goal of the season, did any of you notice Galchenyuk crashing the net and attacking the puck with Cole? Desharnais doesn't do this, when you have two forwards crashing the net like Gally and Cole did, they created mayhem and got a goal out of it. That's something that Galchenyuk brings that I feel gets overlooked. His drive and hunger to make things happen, makes Galchenyuk hungry to go into the dirty areas and for me that is a good sign in a centerman especially in a franchise player.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Shaby23

Quote:

And that's why we should never put any importance in the WJC.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post
Watching Alex Galchenyuk play, its becoming obvious that it was a mistake by Phil Housley to turn Galchenyuk into a winger and for the first two games Michel Therrien almost followed that mistake. Happily Therrien seems to be able to quickly adapt and make changes that are for the better for the team when its needed. Under center Galchenyuk has truly blossumed into a dynamic playmaking forward that makes plays. This is what I envision a franchise centerman can do for their club.

There is an intresting dilemma now brewing and Galchenyuk will probably end up in the center of the storm. I'm of course talking about David Desharnais. Some of you are supporters for him and after last season, he deserves to keep his starting center job for the top line. Therrien does have the time to wait and see how the first line will progress offensively especially with Plekanec's and Galchenyuk's line producing points each game, there isn't a desperate rush to make drastic changes to the first line.

But we can already see Therrien is thinking down the line if he can't get the top line scoring, he is exploring his options and we saw that with the Jets game when he paired Erik Cole with Galchenyuk several times and it quickly became apparent that Galchenyuk if he is centering the line can form an easy chemistry with anyone he lines up with. Cole picked up his first goal in the game with Galchenyuk and Gallagher getting assists.

Does this mean we will see more Cole pairings with Galchenyuk, I think so, but Therrien is going to try to stay with Desharnais with Cole for as long as possible. That line may not get as many minutes as their used too, because in the Jets game, Galchenyuk started making appearances on the PP lines and that will take time away from Desharnais. But I don't think Therrien will force the issue until Max Pacioretty comes back from his surgery. Then things are going to come to head and a descision will have to be made.

If the Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty line is still struggling to score, then I do see some changes coming. For some who think Cole should be playing with Galchenyuk and Gallagher, that may happen. But I have a feeling Therrien will move Galchenyuk up to the top line and shift Desharnais down to the third. When and I think it will be when, this happens, then this team will become Galchenyuk's team because he will be paired with the two best scoring wingers on the team. And when both Cole and Pacioretty are clicking, our top line is one of the better ones in the league.

One last thought about the Jets game. When Galchenyuk was paired with Cole and Erik scored his first goal of the season, did any of you notice Galchenyuk crashing the net and attacking the puck with Cole? Desharnais doesn't do this, when you have two forwards crashing the net like Gally and Cole did, they created mayhem and got a goal out of it. That's something that Galchenyuk brings that I feel gets overlooked. His drive and hunger to make things happen, makes Galchenyuk hungry to go into the dirty areas and for me that is a good sign in a centerman especially in a franchise player.
I mostly agree. Therrien's goal is to win as many games as possible. He'll have to make line switches during games to play those who are hot, and bench those who are cold. Tonight, Therrien did that by putting Nuke with Cole. I guess you could argue he wanted a preview of the two together. But Therrien most certainly put them together in order to win the game.

You're right that if things don't progress with DeHorny. Nuke could be a replacement for him. There is a rush to fix the first line. Yes, the team is winning so it does alleviate the situation. But you'll always be better off knowing your top two lines are productive. Because eventually, the Gals line will slow down. And you can't rely on one line for too long, we've seen that too much last season. So yes, I think Therrien is trying to find solutions fast for DeHorny and Cole together. Or he'll start thinking of line changes. It may not be desperate need as you say, but it needs to be fixed asap.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Forgedias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I mostly agree. Therrien's goal is to win as many games as possible. He'll have to make line switches during games to play those who are hot, and bench those who are cold. Tonight, Therrien did that by putting Nuke with Cole. I guess you could argue he wanted a preview of the two together. But Therrien most certainly put them together in order to win the game.

You're right that if things don't progress with DeHorny. Nuke could be a replacement for him. There is a rush to fix the first line. Yes, the team is winning so it does alleviate the situation. But you'll always be better off knowing your top two lines are productive. Because eventually, the Gals line will slow down. And you can't rely on one line for too long, we've seen that too much last season. So yes, I think Therrien is trying to find solutions fast for DeHorny and Cole together. Or he'll start thinking of line changes. It may not be desperate need as you say, but it needs to be fixed asap.
Fixing the top line may require having Max Pacioretty back, we really won't know if the top line will need to be fixed until he returns. Although to your point you are correct that waiting potentially 4 weeks, which could be as many as 16 games may be too long. Fixing the top line may become a priority as you stated in your post.

So I guess we will have to see if David Desharnais can show signs he is over his slow start. If he has problems creating chemistry with Erik Cole who was a big part of last season's success for the top line. Then I guess the question will be, is Desharnais right for the top line if he is having problems with just having half his wingers with him and may give credence to people saying Desharnais can only be effective if he has two big guys as his wingers.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Roulin

Quote:

To me eye, it wasn't his skating that was a problem, it was more that he just wasn't moving his feet enough. I'm sure there will be games like that over the course his career. But he's clearly a very good skater, especially for his size.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:05 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
That saucy pass he made to Prust, on the shot that hit the cross-bar. I think that's where fans will really start to love him, especially when his teammates finish off plays and score those goals. He's a very smart hockey player on top of being skilled. That's a dangerous combination, especially at the age of 18 - considering he has a ceiling he's not even begun to scrape just yet.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Closed Thread