HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

False Advertisement?

Old
01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Crows*

vCash: 500
I'm taking a huge dump while reading this thread.

Give garrison more time dawgs.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:18 AM
JD12

Wait a minute, this isn't canucks.com, weird I wonder why I thought it was. We're 2-2-2 and that record is good enough to have us 6th in the West if that gives you any indication on how slow all teams are starting. I can't wait till the rust gets shaken off and we get our usual " Is this Canucks team Unbeatable?" threads by the same posters in the main boards.

JD12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
The internet makes me feel bad to be a Canucks fan. Come on children, it's time to grow up.
Yeah, outside of (surprise, surprise) Kassian and Schroeder (probably Raymond too) the whole team has been awful.

It's going to get better. Maybe not Wednesday, or Friday, or the next week but it will get better.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4856
Way too early to be making a judgement like this.

Sheesh people. How many times have we seen essentially this same thread at the same time of the season with Bieksa's name on it. Couple months later the complaining stops and the Bieksa avatars are back in full force.

Not only that, but Garrison is adapting to a new system and an entirely new team. As I said, sheesh.

01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
arsmaster

They all just need to simplify.

They shouldn't lock Garrison to his off side on the power play, just play simple, maybe even switch him and Edler for the one time position for now.

I just want to see good defense, not worried about the points, lets just lock down our own end and the rest will come.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crows View Post
i'm taking a huge dump while reading this thread.

give garrison more time dawgs.
eot.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
eot.
What does that mean,?

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
What does that mean,?
"End of thread".

Old
01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I think it's a lot too early to go into full on panic-spaz mode about Garrison. Just like the rest of our team outside a select few, he's rusty and on top of that, adjusting to a new system and completely new linemates.

I don't doubt that he will improve as he gets more comfortable. But i still think there's probably a lot of truth to the title of this thread, in the sense that he was falsely hyped up to be a lot more than he is by a lot of fans and media this past year.

I was wary of it all along, right up to the point where we signed him to a big, locked-in NTC deal with significant term attached...and beyond. To me, Garrison in Florida looked like another Hjalmarsson...with a booming shot as bonus. A guy who can look really good beside a super mobile offensive catalyst like Campbell. But not exactly the fluid skating defensive rock with an unstoppable pinpoint accurate howitzer of a shot that many seemed to view him as.

Not that he's a bad defender...but his skating is clunky, his shot is essentially as inaccurate as Edler, and while he isn't bad defensively, Campbell skated him out of an awful lot of problems last year.

He's a #4 d-man with some ups and some downs to his game. That's what he was, and that's probably what he'll become here once he finds his footing a bit better. But i think the biggest source of this 'false advertising' issue, is people buying too much into the 'advertising' in the first place.

Is he worth the contract we handed him? Hard to say at this point. It's pretty significant and it doesn't offer us much flexibility there...but quality NHL blueliners are in high demand these days. So i guess we'll see. Personally, i would've preferred to wait it out and find a guy i really liked to add to the roster, even if that meant more cap outlay or assets given up.

But the 'Hometown Express' hype-train was steaming along full force, and now we've got the guy on the books...for better or worse. So hopefully he at least gets up to speed and back to where he was last year in Florida.

You are so wrong biturbo. Garrison has two years of NHL hockey where he has shown to be much better than he has been. No one in the top4 has looked good. The forwards are also still rusty. Team is not ready.

When it gets ready, then we'll know.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

Our best defenseman on the ice is Tanev and you're making a thread about a defenseman that has played a total of 6 games with the Canucks instead of one of Bieksa, Edler or Hamhuis?

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
dps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Henrik looks barely good enough to be a #2C on a bottom-feeding team right now. Why would anyone judge the new arrivals when this team's core are playing like they are?
Because I'm mad now and everyone knows that for team sports it's always one guys fault when the team as a whole doesn't preform!

dps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Cogburn

Anyone not named Volpatti, Luongo, Hansen, Kassian, Tanev, Ballard, Weise (I concede grudgingly...) and possibly Schroeder or Raymond have all been supremely disappointing.

Garrison is not to be excluded from this, but let's face reality, we didn't sign him as a 17 goal defenseman, we signed him as a steady shut down kind of guy. That's where I think he is disappointing (thus far). New system, condensed year...relax.

Last edited by Cogburn: 01-29-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Anyone not named Hansen, Kassian, Tanev, Ballard, Weise (I concede grudgingly...) and possibly Schroeder or Raymond have all been supremely disappointing.

Garrison is not to be excluded from this, but let's face reality, we didn't sign him as a 17 goal defenseman, we signed him as a steady shut down kind of guy. That's where I think he is disappointing (thus far). New system, condensed year...relax.
I'd add Luongo and Volpatti to your list

Old
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Anyone not named Volpatti, Luongo, Hansen, Kassian, Tanev, Ballard, Weise (I concede grudgingly...) and possibly Schroeder or Raymond have all been supremely disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I'd add Luongo and Volpatti to your list
Done.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:08 PM
medhatcanuck

Garrison has been fine. it's his 6th game with a new team thats struggling. hes been playing good- fine. If you guys were expecting zdeno chara, well then...

give him time, he'll be one of our top 3 dman by end of season.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Bonham

Nine months since any meaningful hockey has been played - check

Groin injury during lockout requiring treatment from Canuck Trainer's - check

Lack of proper training camp to get accustomed to new system and linemates - check

The Canuck's are six games into a condensed schedule in which none of their top players have played up to their abilities.

Let's give the guy a bit of time before we decide to write him off...

Bonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Soth

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Oh wait... no, no it isn't. It was just a few twigs that rolled of my roof. Damn I almost soiled myself there...

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
I think it's still far too early to judge. Like people have previously mentioned, he's switching conferences and learning a completely new system without the benefit of a training camp. On top of that, Edler has been an absolute disaster as well and hasn't made the transition very easy for him.

That being said, I would like to see him spend more time shooting the puck on the PP and less time roving around the front of the net. I'm not sure if this is a result of the PP system or his own fault, but it certainly isn't making very good use of his skill set.
Exactly. No training camp, short season, and a new d partner. Everyone has looked rusty at times. I have never seen so many different players throwing pucks up the middle in our own end. The amount of low % plays is crazy. It's not just us who is doing these uncharacteristic things. It's a BS 48 season with no training camp and a couple new guys in Schroeder and Garrison we are working into our system.

It's been 6 games. Everyone needs to relax. The sky is not falling. We are 2-2-2 without a huge piece of our puzzle in Kesler. He plays PP1, PK1, and takes a very high % of all major faceoffs.

If there is 1 issue I have it's with AV in the 3rd period. He has done this since he arrived, trying to hold a lead and having guys with quick 30 second shifts, fending off the other teams push, getting the puck, gaining center, getting it deep, and changing. There is no offensive push in the 3rd what so ever. How are you suppose to keep the other team guessing or play with any kind of urgency by doing this. I understand it works sometimes but when it doesn't and the game is now tied, you have to change your whole system back to a offensive push. Play one way, strong at both ends and if you have the lead play a little safer but don't shut down your offensive attack completely. I like AV but to see the pressers after games like that blame it on a seeing eye puck that squeaks through, well of course, the other team basically looks like they are on the PP. We don't even attack the puck carrier, it's sticks down trying to block passes and giving the player room to check out his options and wait for something to open up. Alright I'm done ranting. We win those games we blew and no one is talking about Garrison or Edler. Your thinking wow, we look good without Kesler. We will be unstoppable when he gets back......

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Garrison + 1st for Tallinder and Volchenkov? :B

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
kthsn

If we're going to be quick to judge Garrison as a mediocre defensemen then we should also point out that Ballard has been playing like a #1.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
OgoBoHo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
If we're going to be quick to judge Garrison as a mediocre defensemen then we should also point out that Ballard has been playing like a #1.
And Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis have been playing like third pairing defensemen.

OgoBoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
Garrison + 1st for Tallinder and Volchenkov? :B
I threw up a little lot.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Jason Garrison did not come as promised. He's average on defense and his skating is very average. His shot is hard, but half the time he's floating all around.

What a scam
Think we can say that about a few players.

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICMAN1963 View Post
Think we can say that about a few players.
Yep, if we're passing Garrison off as average then what does that say about Dan Hamhuis who's been just as bad? The team needs a few weeks at least to get going, more so than usual, and Garrison deserves even more time to settle into a new system.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:38 PM
nucksfan8888

Like everyone has said, he's coming to a new team, with a new system after having been injured for part of the break. Personally I see good and bad things from Garrison, and when compared with a similiar player from a similiar situation, I see more positives than negatives.

When Ballard came here, he skated everywhere, even got into the offensive zone and did nothing with it, but got caught up the ice many a time, and even when back got caught out of position many a time while learning the system. While Garrison does not skate nearly as well(Ballard is a much more fluid skater laterally and when transitioning from backwards to forwardwards and vice versa) he also has a clearly better defensive conscious and is also much better built for the defensive position. Though he does get caught out of position when switching men on the pk and in general in the d-zone just like Ballard because it is not as simple a system as other teams, he will get better.

Basically all defensemen for the canucks have an adjustment period; Ballard got better, it took him longer. I expect Garrison will become assimilated much quicker than Ballard due to his natural talents. Shot if given the time and space, size to clear the net and stand his position, and a defensive conscious that matches the defensive coaching strategy. Ballard had none of these qualities, The most important is the defensive mindsets, Garrison fits the coaching staff MUCH better than Ballard has or ever will so he will be given every opportunity to succeed.

Everyone needs to be patient, the sky is not falling.

nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote