Notices

Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
If there's ever a season to finally just blow a tire and be a bottom-feeder, it's this one.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:58 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
OK.
Here are my thoughts after tonight's game.

I'm a sucker for a no-nonsense coach. One who isn't afraid to show some emotion or raise his voice.
Our options are very thin here. It's either Laviolette, if he's fired, or someone from within the organization. I don't think anyone else is on the chopping block.

Quote:
That, among other, more fundamental reasons is why i'm not a huge fan of Gully.
Lucky for me, his job security is currently at an all time low.
Well, I don't know if there is any imminent danger of him being fired, but seeing as he's on a 2 year deal (this is year 2) + 1 year club option, I would guess management is not picking up that option.

Quote:
I'm almost certain Morrow and Robidas will be gone by TD if it's a Cup they're after.
We won't get much in return, but I'll take that as a "addition via subtraction" move.

Quote:
I seriously doubt Joe is sticking his neck out for help on D this season; they're beyond the kind of help he could reasonably provide, and as it stands, they aren't exactly looking playoff caliber.
Arguably, he couldn't do much this year, but next year he better find an experienced d-man (or two, if we lose Robidas) via UFA. No spectacular names, but I like Scuderi and Regehr, if they're available.

Quote:
Lastly, this may be premature, but it's just a thought.
I fear the rigors of the West could get the best of Jagr.
Not that it would necessarily show so much this season, but he's only got so much left in him, and being in the West certainly adds more wear and mileage than the East.
It wouldn't be a total shock to see him back in Philly at TD, if not sooner.
Exactly why I don't think he is probably not a good option beyond this season. Then again, we could be in a re-aligned situation before next season. Who knows?

Last edited by StarsFan74: 01-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I think you have to go to Jagr and ask what he wants at the deadline. If the team is going nowhere fast he may appreciate a move back to Philly or somewhere East. He's not holding this club back but if they can get a prospect and a 2nd for him well his departure won't make me sad.

I think the only way you can fix this defense is at the draft. Olesiak will be an improvement over Robidas (assuming he's moved) but that alone won't be enough. A solid hardnosed vet is desperately needed but that's not easily or cheaply found.

Firesale what vets you can to acquire as many picks and prospects as possible so you've got options for the draft and going into next season. It's a deep draft and numerous picks are a commodity with Les Jackson at the helm. We may not have enough to get top five but we could add an additional top 20 pick with two seconds and a third.

The final half of the season has to be play the kids and evaluate who's going to be here next year and who's on offer this off-season. They can't go into next year with old vets, young kids and the same crappy defense again this Sept., not if Niewendyk wants to keep his job.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:47 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I think you have to go to Jagr and ask what he wants at the deadline. If the team is going nowhere fast he may appreciate a move back to Philly or somewhere East. He's not holding this club back but if they can get a prospect and a 2nd for him well his departure won't make me sad.

I think the only way you can fix this defense is at the draft. Olesiak will be an improvement over Robidas (assuming he's moved) but that alone won't be enough. A solid hardnosed vet is desperately needed but that's not easily or cheaply found.

Firesale what vets you can to acquire as many picks and prospects as possible so you've got options for the draft and going into next season. It's a deep draft and numerous picks are a commodity with Les Jackson at the helm. We may not have enough to get top five but we could add an additional top 20 pick with two seconds and a third.

The final half of the season has to be play the kids and evaluate who's going to be here next year and who's on offer this off-season. They can't go into next year with old vets, young kids and the same crappy defense again this Sept., not if Niewendyk wants to keep his job.
That would be and is, as is evident, a lengthy process. We gave up two straight chances at drafting a defenseman in 2009 and 2010, and that has come to bite us now.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Kulikov
Fowler
Larsen
Daley
Dillon
whoever

Assuming we wouldn't need Goose had we made the right picks. That's one sick D core (okay it's not amazing, but far better than we've since '08).

Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
That would be and is, as is evident, a lengthy process. We gave up two straight chances at drafting a defenseman in 2009 and 2010, and that has come to bite us now.
I actually meant a trade at the draft. Lot's of guys get moved at the draft and it's possible to take on someone's cap problem then. Don't get me wrong I hope we can nab a really good defenseman or two with our picks but that wasn't what I meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Kulikov
Fowler
Larsen
Daley
Dillon
whoever

Assuming we wouldn't need Goose had we made the right picks. That's one sick D core (okay it's not amazing, but far better than we've since '08).
I'd pick one of Kulikov or Fowler. In fact, I'd have gone with Cowen and Fowler on successive drafts.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I actually meant a trade at the draft. Lot's of guys get moved at the draft and it's possible to take on someone's cap problem then. Don't get me wrong I hope we can nab a really good defenseman or two with our picks but that wasn't what I meant to say. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh okay, but I doubt if there were tenured good d-men available at the 2009 and 2010 drafts for trade. If we have a high position in the draft order this year, I am not sure what JN would do. Status-quo indicates that most teams would like to hold on to their good d-men like white on rice.

Like I said earlier, we may want to dig into this year's UFA pool and pick one d-man (Scuderi) who can be a shutdown guy at no.3/4 for a 2-3 year period. I know that won't help a great deal, like you said, but that is truly the best we can do to address our need to get a little bit better.

Last edited by StarsFan74: 01-29-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 01:17 AM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Exactly why I don't think he is probably not a good option beyond this season. Then again, we could be in a re-aligned situation before next season. Who knows?
I'm pretty sure I saw realignment would occur at some point before next season. I don't know if it was Lebrun, Mckenzie, Dreger or someone else like that who mentioned it. The NHL would get to that stuff at another point, like in the spring I'm assuming.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:09 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Obviously Ryder won't be moved unless we're 100% out of it or Smith pretty much forces his way into the top 6...
Let's say Roy gets healthy and plays the majority of the season. If Smith forces his way into a "top 6" role then you have the possibility of actually rolling three scoring lines, with one being a line that can go head to head against the best lines in the west, that being a line with Benn and Eriksson together. At that point Ryder doesn't become superfluous unless the team is flat out not competing for a playoff spot and it's determined that Ryder and the Stars are no longer a fit after this season, or that the return is just too good to pass up.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
BigG44

I tried to flip through all the threads before posting this so I think this is new info:

Brenden Morrow is not happy with his role in Dallas.

You'll find all of the typical passive aggressive quotes from a disgruntled player in the link.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I tried to flip through all the threads before posting this so I think this is new info:

You'll find all of the typical passive aggressive quotes from a disgruntled player in the link.
"There are a lot of people in the Stars organization who believe in Brenden Morrow."

I couldn't even make it past the first line without rolling my eyes.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Dirty Kari

Heika is such a hack.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:00 AM
BigG44

The one that stuck out to me was:

Quote:
“You don’t want to be a distraction or ruffle any feathers, so you just put your head down and push forward.’’
That means if it wouldn't reflect poorly on him, he'd love to ***** about his current situation.

Also, Heika is never this harsh about a player so this surprised me:

Quote:
So Stars coach Glen Gulutzan placed Morrow on the third line with fellow veterans Vern Fiddler and Eric Nystrom. That just didn’t click in the early going, as Fiddler and Nystrom are all about aggressive forechecks and speed, and Morrow seemed out of step and slow.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
Heika is such a hack.
I don't like Heika because he never reports information like this. This article is one of the few where he's actually fulfilling the role of beat reporter so I don't know why you'd have an issue with it.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

What stuck out to me is...

Quote:
“He’s a heavy net presence, and we do need him on the power play, and we will use him on the power play,’’ Gulutzan said.
We NEED him? They're absolutely set on playing him on the powerplay no matter what. Absolutely set.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
TrillMike

Good. Get him out of here.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Interesting read.
Heika tells it like it is, for a bit, then shows us that management are basically gonna keep him forever.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
What stuck out to me is...

We NEED him? They're absolutely set on playing him on the powerplay no matter what. Absolutely set.
Eric Tangradi is a net front presence ....

Old
01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
I don't like Heika because he never reports information like this. This article is one of the few where he's actually fulfilling the role of beat reporter so I don't know why you'd have an issue with it.
He doesn't like to criticize players and when it happens (rarely) its sugarcoated like this article. He just comes across as afraid to not speak the company line. I mean at the beginning he quotes Gulutzan calling him a "professional" and then ends it with agreeing with how professional he is and Gulutzan saying how great of a person and player he is. His constant stream of penalties and him "saving himself" for the olympics aren't what I think of when I think of being the "ultimate" professional.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
He doesn't like to criticize players and when it happens (rarely) its sugarcoated like this article. He just comes across as afraid to not speak the company line. I mean at the beginning he quotes Gulutzan calling him a "professional" and then ends it with agreeing with how professional he is and Gulutzan saying how great of a person and player he is. His constant stream of penalties and him "saving himself" for the olympics aren't what I think of when I think of being the "ultimate" professional.
That is expected. They can't be too critical or they may be shunned by players and management alike. Then again, no one else pretty much covers the Stars in the local media like Heika does and if the Stars want to stay relevant, they need people like him to talk about them.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
BigG44

Quote:
That's fair, and I was surprised there was even one line of negativity about Morrow.

This has to be the beginning of the end ... errr ... two games ago was when he was put on the 4th line.

I'm scared for Friday. He can't play with Fiddler because hes not quick enough .... what the hell does that say for his ability to play with Eakin?

I can't believe that by the end of the week, Eakin willl likely be the 4th line center.

If this team was built on earning your role, Nystrom will be playing with Vincour and Eakin on the 3rd line Friday. Hopefully that happens.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

So whiny. Look in the mirror Brenden if you want to know why your ice time has been cut and your role is reduced. If you didn't suck so much you'd still be getting better minutes.

Is there any way he gets disgruntled enough to ask for a trade? Though if nothing else should the team continue to bomb he sounds like he'd be open to being moved. I still have no idea what his value is but man do he and his sense of entitlement need to gtfo.

Also Gulutzan needs to be beaten with a hockey stick. "need him on the power play." Really because they've been so stellar with him that his lack of presence somehow makes things worse? I swear it feels like I'm watching a completely different game from him.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
I swear it feels like I'm watching a completely different game from him.
We all are.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:

This is excellent news. The odds of Stars moving him and Morrow being open to a trade have gone up.
Quote:
Heika is such a hack.
:/ This is exactly the kind of article we should be wanting Heika to write. Heika has actually gotten better as a reporter over these past few years IMO.
Quote:
Eric Tangradi is a net front presence ....
Tangradi is simply not very good. I'm under no illusions when it comes to Morrow's value, but I would prefer a different young player or prospect or pick.

Closed Thread