HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm-bos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 10:32 AM
  #1
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Edm-bos


Johnny Boychuk


Ryan Whitney

Heard this on the radio and show host has no real answer for it. Maybe he's hasn't watched must Boston. So, thought I might ask.
I think this is a decent trade(IMO) Boston adds a little more offense on the back end. While the Oilers get a little bit bigger. Maybe i'm over my head here but I thought it was a interesting proposal.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:35 AM
  #2
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post

Johnny Boychuk


Ryan Whitney

Heard this on the radio and show host has no real answer for it. Maybe he's hasn't watched must Boston. So, thought I might ask.
I think this is a decent trade(IMO) Boston adds a little more offense on the back end. While the Oilers get a little bit bigger. Maybe i'm over my head here but I thought it was a interesting proposal.
IMO, Boychuk is a better fit in Boston than Whitney. I wouldn't touch this if I were Boston.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
  #3
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Can have Ryan Smyth too.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
  #4
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Please... for all that is sane in the world... leave Ryan Whitney out of all proposals.

You can't even call him a pylon. He's so useless that you barely even have to go around him with the puck these days. He's easily the slowest skater in the NHL and he isn't expected to get any better. When his contract is up at the end of the year he might get a 2-way deal with a team. There's no way he's going to be getting even a league minimum 2-way contract. He's useless.

No way Boston makes this deal.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
  #5
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,296
vCash: 98
Not sure why they'd even air that proposal on the radio. That's brutal for Boston. Of course as an Oiler fan I'd do it, but unless Boychuk has demanded a trade to Edmonton it ain't even close to happening.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:48 AM
  #6
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Please... for all that is sane in the world... leave Ryan Whitney out of all proposals.

You can't even call him a pylon. He's so useless that you barely even have to go around him with the puck these days. He's easily the slowest skater in the NHL and he isn't expected to get any better. When his contract is up at the end of the year he might get a 2-way deal with a team. There's no way he's going to be getting even a league minimum 2-way contract. He's useless.

No way Boston makes this deal.
I made it because I like Boychuk. Proposal was made on TEAM 1260, and Gregor had no real answer for it. So I thought I'd ask.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
  #7
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,775
vCash: 500
I don't think Boston does it. Boychuck has done a great job in Boston.

Now in the offseason Boston might feel a numbers crunch and decide that Boychuck is to expensive and deal him then, but they aren't going to be looking for someone more expensive than him

Boston has plenty of offense on the backside now with Hamilton being better than anyone expected.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
  #8
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,296
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
I made it because I like Boychuk. Proposal was made on TEAM 1260, and Gregor had no real answer for it. So I thought I'd ask.
So why did the guy making the proposal think Boston would take it? Why does Boston give up their #2/#3 d-man for a guy that is a UFA and barely doing anything on the bottom pairing of the Oilers?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
  #9
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So why did the guy making the proposal think Boston would take it? Why does Boston give up their #2/#3 d-man for a guy that is a UFA and barely doing anything on the bottom pairing of the Oilers?
You tell me, this is more of a question shooting towards Boston fans. Guy thought it probably because that's where whitneys from? Hometown for Hometown.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
  #10
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Please... for all that is sane in the world... leave Ryan Whitney out of all proposals.

You can't even call him a pylon. He's so useless that you barely even have to go around him with the puck these days. He's easily the slowest skater in the NHL and he isn't expected to get any better. When his contract is up at the end of the year he might get a 2-way deal with a team. There's no way he's going to be getting even a league minimum 2-way contract. He's useless.

No way Boston makes this deal.
As bad as he's been this year he's still got a fantastic outlet pass which will be enough to get him a short term, $2 million deal this summer I'd imagine. He is however done in Edmonton and the sooner the better. Playing Whitney and Potter as a defensive pairing in this league is a disaster and why people are justified in accusing Edmonton of tanking.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
  #11
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Whitney is going to sign in Boston next year anyways. Book it.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
  #12
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
As bad as he's been this year he's still got a fantastic outlet pass which will be enough to get him a short term, $2 million deal this summer I'd imagine. He is however done in Edmonton and the sooner the better. Playing Whitney and Potter as a defensive pairing in this league is a disaster and why people are justified in accusing Edmonton of tanking.
Whitney I see possibly signing back in Edmonton. He has a great relationship with the kids and the team. But, I do believe he will be used as trade bait if the Oiler make the playoffs(fingers crossed) or sell him to get the cap space junk figured out by July 1st.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
  #13
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
As bad as he's been this year he's still got a fantastic outlet pass which will be enough to get him a short term, $2 million deal this summer I'd imagine. He is however done in Edmonton and the sooner the better. Playing Whitney and Potter as a defensive pairing in this league is a disaster and why people are justified in accusing Edmonton of tanking.
We can't possibly tank this year. We win too many face-offs and our top 4 D is actually good this year. Tanking could mean like 10th overall IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
  #14
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
I made it because I like Boychuk. Proposal was made on TEAM 1260, and Gregor had no real answer for it. So I thought I'd ask.
Gregor was probably trying hard not to laugh, that's why he had no answer. Whitney's play has sucked this year so far, it could be rust or the injury has limited his movement. Lot of people figure that Edmonton has been show casing Whitney to trade him, but they would have to add to get Boychuk.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
  #15
OilCanada92
Registered User
 
OilCanada92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Gregor was probably trying hard not to laugh, that's why he had no answer. Whitney's play has sucked this year so far, it could be rust or the injury has limited his movement. Lot of people figure that Edmonton has been show casing Whitney to trade him, but they would have to add to get Boychuk.
Who knows, just thought it was a interesting proposal.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
  #16
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Whitney I see possibly signing back in Edmonton. He has a great relationship with the kids and the team. But, I do believe he will be used as trade bait if the Oiler make the playoffs(fingers crossed) or sell him to get the cap space junk figured out by July 1st.
After stripping the A and putting him on the bottom pairing and being American... I just don't see Whitney playing here next year.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  #17
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
We can't possibly tank this year. We win too many face-offs and our top 4 D is actually good this year. Tanking could mean like 10th overall IMO.
Good is a stretch for our top 4 still but I agree we won't be drafting Jones or Mackinnon. Whitney and Potter is still an embarassment of a pairing though.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
  #18
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
With the emergence of Dougie Hamilton I feel like Whitney would be redundant in Boston.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:33 AM
  #19
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
I would take this deal in a heart beat.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
  #20
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Good is a stretch for our top 4 still but I agree we won't be drafting Jones or Mackinnon. Whitney and Potter is still an embarassment of a pairing though.
For some reason Management feels responsible for giving Potter some ice time because of his resigning... but Fistric should have all of his minutes.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
  #21
titsuple
Registered User
 
titsuple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Please... for all that is sane in the world... leave Ryan Whitney out of all proposals.

You can't even call him a pylon. He's so useless that you barely even have to go around him with the puck these days. He's easily the slowest skater in the NHL and he isn't expected to get any better. When his contract is up at the end of the year he might get a 2-way deal with a team. There's no way he's going to be getting even a league minimum 2-way contract. He's useless.

No way Boston makes this deal.
WOW you clearly didnt watch last nights game! Hes getting faster every game. Oilers will move him at the dead line and i bet there will be a team on the bubble that over pay for him.

titsuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:54 AM
  #22
roboninja
EYG
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
I hate deflating his trade value so much, but I would love it if Whitney was waived today. He is entirely a negative out there, constant turnovers and zero speed. Every time he is on the ice I cringe.

So no, there is no way in hell BOS does this, and it proves the radio people you are listening too are either complete homers or idiots. Possibly both.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:56 AM
  #23
roboninja
EYG
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by titsuple View Post
WOW you clearly didnt watch last nights game! Hes getting faster every game. Oilers will move him at the dead line and i bet there will be a team on the bubble that over pay for him.
I watched last night's game. Whitney was terrible.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:05 PM
  #24
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
I want to give Whitney a few more games before I write him off completely. He hasn't looked good, but its possible that he's still knocking off the rust. As of right now, I don't think any teams take a chance on Whitney for much. I love Boychuk's game, but Boston does too, I think we'd need to add a significant piece on top of Whitney.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
  #25
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.
 
Gentle Jake Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 133
Guaranteed the guy who made the proposal KNOWS this is a terribad trade proposal. We could waive Whitney tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

If we're just looking for a better guy to throw on the bottom six, why doesn't Tambo make a run at a guy like Anton Volchenkov?

Gentle Jake Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.