HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stay/GO with the 18/19 yr olds

Old
01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm certainly not a Flyers fan, but I was impressed with what I saw from Laughton. Probably wise to send him down because this year might be a lost cause. That said, he didn't look out of place to me and played well.
He played very well and while I don't know that I'd call this year a lost cause at this point, given his potential role on the team, it just wasn't sound asset management for the longterm goals.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:36 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
Oh I agree with that.

I'm just saying he's not gonna be sent down because the only 2 players to stay in the past were Larsson and Niedermayer and that her doesnt belong in that group
No, but he just isn't NHL ready.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Grigorenko officially staying up with Sabres.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Jerzey Devil

The problem with sending Matteau down is that they already sent Tedenby down. Who else is left? Kovy and Zajac are already getting double shifted. They did bring up MAtt Anderson for tonight's game but who comes up when Matteau goes down?

Unless Lou pulls the trigger on a trade before the Devils 6th game I don't see how they can send Matteau down.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Riptide

From a development point of view and an employee management point of view it makes sense to keep those who can play at that level (Hamilton, Grigs, etc).

From a asset management POV it makes zero sense to keep these players in the NHL during an NHL shortened season. If you're going to burn a year of their ELC, do so when you'll get a full year of their services. The players are getting only 1/2 a season's exposure to the NHL, and their teams are losing a full year of services. The only issue would be explaining that to the players (especially those who can play at this level) that you need to send them back.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
lifeisruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
From a development point of view and an employee management point of view it makes sense to keep those who can play at that level (Hamilton, Grigs, etc).

From a asset management POV it makes zero sense to keep these players in the NHL during an NHL shortened season. If you're going to burn a year of their ELC, do so when you'll get a full year of their services. The players are getting only 1/2 a season's exposure to the NHL, and their teams are losing a full year of services. The only issue would be explaining that to the players (especially those who can play at this level) that you need to send them back.
assett management isnt much of a concern for either team. Both owners have deep pockets and strong markets. And Boston is going for the cup, so its all hands on deck in Boston

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I disagree.....

You should never expect some 30+ goal performance by an 18/19 yr old rookie.

They played a good bunch of juniors plus the worlds then plus a 48 game schedule is the equivalanet of a full nhl season in games played.

With a shortened NHL season they can adjust to the play and speed of the game as well as their teamates so when next season you have a full season to play you could expect to see a lot more production in the player than if they were to be sent down and then play as a rookie next year.

Sure it will probably cost more money over the long haul. There have been comparissons done in baseball in salaries and years of service....but in baseball the line for a year of service isnt 9 games like in the NHL. That is why in baseball you see players who were high draft picks usually out of college the year before come up and play with the big club in early June because then that year doesnt count against their time of service for free agency. Had they been with the club since April that fwould ahve counted as a year of service thus pushing UFA start by a year.

Many of the JR players have mastered playing in juniors so their really isnt much to gain in terms of size, speed, and skill if they stay in juniors. they need to adjust to the NHL level competition. That takes time.

In this situation with Montreal and Buffalo for example their isnt the pressure on the players to perform in terms of goals/points. In buffalo they had some recent experience with this in Myers.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Girgenburger

It's unsettling that Grigorenko is pretty much staying because we don't have the center depth to replace him in our current lineup. I think he's ready, but Ruff won't use him right.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
I haven't been a fan of keeping a 18/19 year old on the roster since we may have ruined James Sheppard by keeping him on the roster as a rookie. I think that mismanagement of him pretty much ruined his confidence. Granted he could've ended up a bust anyway. There are those exceptions that can make the jump from CHL to NHL, but on the whole I think the risk outweighs the reward.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote