Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Pep to Bayern

Old
01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

vCash: 500
If Pep doesn't want to be responsible for transfers, then who will take that duty?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:10 PM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
If Pep doesn't want to be responsible for transfers, then who will take that duty?
In that case probably Sammer. But everything runs through Rummenigge and Hoeness in the end anyway.

tomcatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
In that case probably Sammer. But everything runs through Rummenigge and Hoeness in the end anyway.
Yep, Sammer is the main guy for those things. And I'm looking forward to the partnership between him and Pep. He has been an analytical admirer of Pep's vision of how to play the game for quite some time, and I'm all but convinced they'll get along very well.

And I'd say that the importance of the institutions Hoeneß and Rummenigge isn't quite what it was some years ago. Well, obviously, as their positions have changed. I think Martinez was an example of that. Some time ago, they wouldn't have made such a transfer happen when they felt they had to pay more than he was worth in their eyes. They admitted to that being the case in their eyes over there as well, but they said that Heynckes and especially Sammer were convinced he'd bring something they need, so they ended up paying the price it took and all actions it took to get the player the guys in immediate charge of the team on the pitch decided on. They'll still make sure to add certain perspective and not let things get out of hand, but I don't think they'd easily veto anything.

I don't think that would go over all too well with Sammer, either. That's what they got him for, someone who's judgement on that side they trust, still adding a bit of a different perspective and willing to stand up for what he thinks works.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Yes the number is everywhere.
It's been reported he'd like Suarez (Liverpool set an asking price of 48M€ on him) and/or Falcao (60M€).
Let's not pretend Pep doesn't want expensive guys. He spent (or at least Barca when he was there) a LOT of money with Barca where he already had multiple 50M+ players (in terms of value). Think of all the transfers that were made when he was there (Ibra, Villa, Sanchez, Fabregas, Keirrison, Mascherano, Chigrinksy, etc...). Those were not really cheap transfers.

It's perfectly possible he talked about spending a lot of money.
If Bayern wanted a guy that coaches without spending, they would not have gone after Pep, that's for sure.

For starters, to suggest that Pep was doing the spending or was in charge of transfers while he managed Barça is ridiculous. Txiki and later Zubi were the technical directors in charge of transfers. They had meetings and I'm sure Pep had requests as far as what sort of players he was looking for while even at times putting forward names (Villa, Cesc), but Pep wasn't in charge of transfers.

As for the transfers you mention, some of those weren't even that expensive in today's market and a guy like Keirrison obviously wasn't a Pep transfer.

Of course it's possible, but depending on one's definition of spending a lot of money it's not necessarily probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. L'Equipe seems to be the root of the rumor and everyone else just runs with it or spins new stories from it. It's transfer season and you can't believe what any media source says, whether it's the Times or L'Equipe or whoever.

The reality is that in the perception of the international media Bayern have now moved from that place of being the always slightly underrated and not all that interesting, quietly solid German powerhouse to the big time of the international mega clubs. That means Bayern will be a bigger part of transfer speculation because Bayern are now far more interesting to the average reader of a sports publication in Spain, England, France etc. Two months ago the Daily Mail and L'Equipe wouldn't really have given a damn about Bayern's transfer budget, now that sort of stuff gets clicks and generates discussion.
Yeah, this is common. People rip on Tribalfootball for example when the majority if not all of it's stories come from other sources like The Daily Mail or SPORT or Marca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
With Pep's transfer history?
You can expect at least 50M€ a season.
Pep's transfer history? Again, he wasn't in charge of transfers and whether the transfers that happened while he was there were down to his requests is easily debatable and I'll start with Ibra.

At least 50 million euros a season? Where do you get that from? You must mean gross spend. If so it's laughable that you'd even suggest it. Net transfer spending is what should be considered and when you look at that he only exceeded 50 million euros once.

Quote:
Who cares how much they spend? They have it so they can spend it. As long as Pep doesn't want Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mueller, Badstuber, Kroos or Neuer gone, everything is fine with me. If they can replace Gomez with Falcao or Suarez, I'm all for it.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think they're all players he can work with and I think the current squad was a factor in his choosing Bayern. Again, for me Bayern looks one of the best fits if not the best fit away from Barça right now when you consider the squad.

On the flip side, any thoughts on Schweinsteiger? I mean he was calling for Mourinho and then did I read recently something about him moving on or trying a new league or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Too much too quote. A lot good and sensible stuff today.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

During the last years, Munich usually alternated from higher to lower spending on transfer fees from season to season. However, in summer 2012 the "club", which actually is a corporation, increased its net spending from almost € 40m to € 70m (which exceeded the ebitda of the 2011/2012 season of roughly € 63m). It is safe to say that the salary expenses have increased and will rise further next season due to Guardiola's salary compared to Heynckes' alone.

It is highly unlikely that the net spending on transfer fees will rise above € 100m. But some high profile players seem expendable and might not fit into Guardiola's preferred style of play (most notably Robben and Gomez). If Munich is keen on having unusually expensive acquisitions again, I expect these players to be transferred in order to generate some funds.

However, one of the main differences between Munich and Barcelona is that Munich does not have any equally potent national rival. Barring a huge surprise within the next 15 leaugue games, Munich will finish well ahead of any other German club, including Dortmund. Even last season's team was a legit contender for the CL title, the current roster certainly has improved. There is not rational motivation for Munich at all to increase spending on transfer fees even more.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:05 PM
cgf

Dortmund's still on the rise. If their young players keep growing, they replace Lewa when he leaves, and they keep working on their depth, there's no reason not to expect them to compete with Bayern for the BL and CL over the next 4-5 years.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:45 AM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

Dortmund's biggest problem will come when teams start luring the likes of Götze, Hummels, Reus. Even Lewandowski will be hard to replace, because he fits so well into their system. I think Hoeness already warned Dortmud about that. They have a nice squad now and the organization is booming, but the toughest part isn't to put it all together, but rather to keep it together. If they go far in the CL in the spring, things might already start moving in another direction. Sure, they are saying that nobody who is under a contact is going to leave the team, but that argument is only valid until someone shows you and/or the player the cash and then it's not valid anymore.

tomcatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Dortmund's biggest problem will come when teams start luring the likes of Götze, Hummels, Reus. Even Lewandowski will be hard to replace, because he fits so well into their system. I think Hoeness already warned Dortmud about that. They have a nice squad now and the organization is booming, but the toughest part isn't to put it all together, but rather to keep it together. If they go far in the CL in the spring, things might already start moving in another direction. Sure, they are saying that nobody who is under a contact is going to leave the team, but that argument is only valid until someone shows you and/or the player the cash and then it's not valid anymore.
I think you're partially right, but only partially. But for now, you can be damn certain that there already have been plenty of guys showing them and the players cash. That doesn't take that long. The thing is, as long as they are playing at the CL level, and as long as they look competetive there, it's not nearly as big of a factor. The real enemy for Dortmund will be not having any more of a down-year, because when those players don't get to play against CL teams all of a sudden, that's what gets the majority of them thinking a lot more than an added million at this stage of their careers. That will be the biggest threat to Dortmund's claim to keep in touch with Bayern.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
cgf

Quote:
Dortmund have done a great job replacing stars that they've lost so far, Gundogan upgrading on Sahin, Lewa upgrading on Barrios, Reus upgrading on Kagawa, and I think it'll be a few years before Reus, Gotze and Hummels start seriously looking at Barca and clubs like that. If they can replace Lewa well I think Dortmund will keep the rest of their team together throughout Pep's 3 year contract in Munchen.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Schalkenullvier*

I doubt very much that Reus and Gündogan are upgrades on Kagawa and Sahin, but your point is correct, Dortmund have had success in making former stars forgotten without spending more than receiving.

But, remember Werder a few years back? They also always seemed to be miracilously replacekey players. Ailton with Klose, Kristajic and Ismael with Naldo and Mertesacker, Ernst with Frings, Micoud with Diego, Klose with Rosenberg and later Pizarro, Diego with Özil.

That came to an end finally. It's very difficult to keep pulling players out of your hat. Granted, Dortmund will get more money for Götze etc. and are a bigger club than Bremen... Still it's difficult to invest the 40 million you might get for Götze in equal talent. Given the managment's recent history I can see why Dortmund fans would have faith in them, but it's far from easy.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I doubt very much that Reus and Gündogan are upgrades on Kagawa and Sahin, but your point is correct, Dortmund have had success in making former stars forgotten without spending more than receiving.

But, remember Werder a few years back? They also always seemed to be miracilously replacekey players. Ailton with Klose, Kristajic and Ismael with Naldo and Mertesacker, Ernst with Frings, Micoud with Diego, Klose with Rosenberg and later Pizarro, Diego with Özil.

That came to an end finally. It's very difficult to keep pulling players out of your hat. Granted, Dortmund will get more money for Götze etc. and are a bigger club than Bremen... Still it's difficult to invest the 40 million you might get for Götze in equal talent. Given the managment's recent history I can see why Dortmund fans would have faith in them, but it's far from easy.
Reus was outperforming Kagawa last year despite playing on a much weaker team with much less support. Sahin/Gundogan is tougher to compare since they're such different players, but there to I rate Gundogan much more since he's a rarer player type because of his ability to control play from deep with his passing without having to move forward and link with the attackers the way Sahin has to.

But yes it will be tough for them to replace Lewa, but if they do Dortmund will be set for the next 3-4 years.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Whether Gündogan is an upgrade on Sahin or not is kind of a silly argument given that Sahin is back at Dortmund, so we'll find out how Klopp feels about that soon enough

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
(...) But yes it will be tough for them to replace Lewa, but if they do Dortmund will be set for the next 3-4 years.
As of now, Dortmund is 12 points and 18 goals behind Munich and even behind ever-boring Bayer Leverkusen with its mediocre roster and absolute beginners-coaching team. Although Munich wasted € 40m for a completely expendable Martinez, they will still be able to invest much more than Dortmund, who will have to pay a decent transfer fee in order to avoid (equally expendable) Sahin leaving.

Dortmund had two miraculous seasons, which will be extremely difficult to repeat. Klopp still is a brilliant coach, but his methods wore off a little bit in Mainz after the success. Do you really expect this team, which has embarassed themselves in the European Cup until this season, to compete for the CL title within the next years?

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
As of now, Dortmund is 12 points and 18 goals behind Munich and even behind ever-boring Bayer Leverkusen with its mediocre roster and absolute beginners-coaching team. Although Munich wasted € 40m for a completely expendable Martinez, they will still be able to invest much more than Dortmund, who will have to pay a decent transfer fee in order to avoid (equally expendable) Sahin leaving.

Dortmund had two miraculous seasons, which will be extremely difficult to repeat. Klopp still is a brilliant coach, but his methods wore off a little bit in Mainz after the success. Do you really expect this team, which has embarassed themselves in the European Cup until this season, to compete for the CL title within the next years?

Gruß,
BSHH
*shrug* I think they're one of the favorites this year. They were the most impressive team of the group stages and with the transfer of Willian have a very manageable first round draw to keep their momentum going in europe.

As for the BL they were sloppy and distracted early in the year, but got things together and have been scary good to start the ruckrunde while Bayern look like they're lethargically starting their annual post winter slump. Assuming they can replace Lewa, the progression of their young stars, Reus, Gotze, Gundogan and Hummels, and some improved depth should keep them neck and neck with Bayern.

And Leverkusen have been very tough this year, no need to **** on them. They're defending extremely well this year, Bender and co are bossing the midfield and the forward line of Schurrle-Keissling-Castro has been very good. They're not on Bayern or Dortmund's level, but they had an excellent first half of the season.