HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins need another top 4 defenseman

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
  #1
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Penguins need another top 4 defenseman

I already know you're response:

"But they're so deep at that position! GIT A WINGAR!!!!!11!!!1!!one!!!11!!"

No, they have a bunch of prospects at that position. None of them are ready for top 4. Niskanen is a good #5, but you don't want him in your top 4 the entire season. And being that he is out for the next few weeks, the Pens really need another top 4 guy who can play with Letang.

Remember, the Penguins are a win now team. That means it's okay to trade away a little bit of the future if it helps your team right now. If the Penguins trade two or three defensive prospects for a guy who can play top 4 now, they'll still have a bunch of prospects in their system they can develop.

Shockmaster is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
  #2
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,022
vCash: 500
We could trade for Zbynek Michalek. He plays for the phoenix coyotes. I hear he's a good shot blocker and has a good first pass.

Luigi Lemieux is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
  #3
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,532
vCash: 500
Who's this top 4 D-man we can get who's an upgrade over Niskanen? We don't have the assets to acquire a top pairing guy IMO.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 PM
  #4
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,021
vCash: 50
We have Orpik, Letang, Niskanen and Engelland are a fine top four.

We will probably have to replace Orpik with a top 4 player in a few years.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 PM
  #5
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 500
I'd be open to it at the deadline but not right now. Nisky has done a heck of a job so far and will be a top 4 dman when he comes back. Now we have time to see Despres in a top 4 role and see if he can fill that role full time. Then Nisky comes back and he moves to a no. 5. Let's be patient.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
  #6
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We have Orpik, Letang, Niskanen and Engelland are a fine top four.

We will probably have to replace Orpik with a top 4 player in a few years.
Engel is not top 4 but Martin is. Engel can fill in when called upon.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
  #7
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,149
vCash: 500
Keith Yandle

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
  #8
SidsBackhand
Registered User
 
SidsBackhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Steel City
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Depends on the severity of Niskanen's injury. We could definitely use an upgrade though. Maybe a more glaring need than a winger for Sid. I would value those needs around the same right now.

SidsBackhand is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
  #9
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
PensFanSince1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,712
vCash: 500
The Michalek trade was such a dumb move and I wish someone from the press would really question Shero about it.

PensFanSince1989 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
  #10
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
The Michalek trade was such a dumb move and I wish someone from the press would really question Shero about it.
No one knows but what if Z asked to be traded and that he wanted to go back to Phoenix?

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
  #11
SidsBackhand
Registered User
 
SidsBackhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Steel City
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
The Michalek trade was such a dumb move and I wish someone from the press would really question Shero about it.
I hate that too. I understand he has worked much magic as the GM here, but that shouldn't give him immunity from scrutiny. That move looks really, really bad now.

SidsBackhand is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:21 PM
  #12
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
No one knows but what if Z asked to be traded and that he wanted to go back to Phoenix?
I highly doubt that. If anything, it was mutual. We wanted to make a change and he was open to going back to Phoenix.

I think it was stupid but I really liked Michalek.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
  #13
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I highly doubt that. If anything, it was mutual. We wanted to make a change and he was open to going back to Phoenix.

I think it was stupid but I really liked Michalek.
Same here, everyone wanted Martin gone out of the two but so far we can't really complain as Martin has finally turned is **** around and looking pretty good

But the Michalek trade was a gift to the Yotes, that's why i'm thinking he asked Shero if he could do him a favor and trade him there

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:23 PM
  #14
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'd be open to it at the deadline but not right now. Nisky has done a heck of a job so far and will be a top 4 dman when he comes back. Now we have time to see Despres in a top 4 role and see if he can fill that role full time. Then Nisky comes back and he moves to a no. 5. Let's be patient.
They need one before the deadline. Remember - win now. Save all this "future" stuff for the Pirates. Crosby and Malkin are in their primes, you don't waste entire seasons because you want to bring up a few defensemen.

And so what if they trade Despres? They have a bunch of guys just like him in their system. That's why it's okay to trade for another top 4 guy.

Quote:
We have Orpik, Letang, Niskanen and Engelland are a fine top four.

We will probably have to replace Orpik with a top 4 player in a few years.
Another problem with some Pens fans: they tend to overrate their own.

Shockmaster is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
  #15
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Keith Yandle
We don't have a spare top 6 center.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
  #16
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,950
vCash: 500
the top four is underwhelming.

i have been a skeptic of niskanen. was not as convinced by some where by his play last season. i have a hard time viewing him as a top four d-man on a legit contender. however, hes playing really well. if he keeps this play up, im convinced.

orpik and martin have similarly been good.

the worst top four d-man so far has been letang.

im not sure if these trends will continue, but for now i think the top four is ok. very questionable for the playoffs though.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
  #17
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
the top four is underwhelming.

i have been a skeptic of niskanen. was not as convinced by some where by his play last season. i have a hard time viewing him as a top four d-man on a legit contender. however, hes playing really well. if he keeps this play up, im convinced.

orpik and martin have similarly been good.

the worst top four d-man so far has been letang.

im not sure if these trends will continue, but for now i think the top four is ok. very questionable for the playoffs though.
Niskanen is okay in the top 4 for a little bit, but eventually they will need to find someone better to play beside Letang. Like I said, some Pens fans have a tendency to overrate their own.

Shockmaster is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
  #18
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
No one knows but what if Z asked to be traded and that he wanted to go back to Phoenix?
Who cares where he wanted to go? You make the best deal possible for your team. Staal forced Shero to trade him, at least we received a top 10 pick and an NHL ready 3rd liner who was good before coming here.

That was a horrible trade, but I guess Shero assumed he would sign Parise and needed to make cap room. But you better be damn sure you are going to sign someone after making that Michalek donation.

The pens lack a #2 dman. Orpik is only getting worse each year. Paul Martin is a wildcard.

The pens need a top 4 dman and a top 6 winger. It's going to be difficult to acquire either with the assets, or lack thereof, we have right now.

Fire Shero* is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
  #19
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,532
vCash: 500
We need secondary scoring more. Matt Niskanen is a top 4 guy. Having Tanner Glass on Geno's LW and glorified grinders with Sid should be on Shero's mind first and foremost.

Orpik and Martin have played like a true top pairing. Don't touch it. Letang has been our worst top 4 D so far this year. We're fine.

Add a vet to the bottom pairing if you wish. But I don't see the need there either.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
  #20
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Another problem with some Pens fans: they tend to overrate their own.
Which is a fine statement, when you honestly do believe that Despres+ will get us a very good top pairing Dman to go with Letang. I don`t and think all this talk about Murray, Ballard or Leopold is just overrating whatever is not their own.

TorstenFrings is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
  #21
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,342
vCash: 500
I don't think the defense has been the problem. It's been the sloppy play and Crosby/Malkin/Kunitz off to relatively slow starts.

I'm kind of glad Michalek and his 4 million cap hit for the next 2+ years are gone. I thought he was underwhelming here for the money he makes.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
  #22
SidsBackhand
Registered User
 
SidsBackhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Steel City
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We need secondary scoring more. Matt Niskanen is a top 4 guy. Having Tanner Glass on Geno's LW and glorified grinders with Sid should be Shero's first and foremost.
Kunitz and Dupuis are proven, they had no TC. That doesn't mean they're "glorified grinders". I agree that the Pens need SOMEONE though. Tanner Glass with Malkin? Really, that's Bylsma's plan?

That's like putting a leopard print steering wheel cover on a Ferrari.

SidsBackhand is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
  #23
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
I hate that too. I understand he has worked much magic as the GM here, but that shouldn't give him immunity from scrutiny. That move looks really, really bad now.
To me Ray Shero is the definition of overrated. He came to a team loaded with young talent. Letang was drafted, fleury, Crosby, Malkin and other pieces like Malone, Whitney, Armstrong, goligosk, etc were some key pieces in the Hossa, Kunitz and Neal trades. People act like he is some fantastic GM because the pens won the cup while he happened to be GM. It's not like he took over the Columbus Blue jackets from last year. The talent was here, it just needed a few years to develop.

Fire Shero* is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:38 PM
  #24
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Who cares where he wanted to go? You make the best deal possible for your team. Staal forced Shero to trade him, at least we received a top 10 pick and an NHL ready 3rd liner who was good before coming here.

That was a horrible trade, but I guess Shero assumed he would sign Parise and needed to make cap room. But you better be damn sure you are going to sign someone after making that Michalek donation.

The pens lack a #2 dman. Orpik is only getting worse each year. Paul Martin is a wildcard.

The pens need a top 4 dman and a top 6 winger. It's going to be difficult to acquire either with the assets, or lack thereof, we have right now.
But was that the best deal available? How do you know? So you make Staal happy but not Michalek if he asked for a move back to a specific team?

And Shero's plan we knew it all along he was going after both Parise and Suter, it failed but he tried and he tried hard.

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
  #25
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
But was that the best deal available? How do you know? So you make Staal happy but not Michalek if he asked for a move back to a specific team?

And Shero's plan we knew it all along he was going after both Parise and Suter, it failed but he tried and he tried hard.
Staal declined a very generous offer from the pens. He made it known that he wanted to sign with Carolina. What team would offer the pens a good deal for Staal when he would walk in a year?

Michalek was under contract. He didnt make it known to everyone that he wanted traded. Maybe it was the best offer, if it was dont make the trade. Teams have a grace period in the summer to go over the cap and they just slashed Staal's cap hit and Sullivan's. it was a desperate unnecessary move to donate Michalek.

Fire Shero* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.