HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks d from a decade ago vs today's d

View Poll Results: Which d do you prefer?
2013 Edler Garrison Hamhuis Bieksa Ballard Tanev 63 70.00%
2003 Malik Jovo Sopel Ohlund Allen Salo 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Malik and Sopel just hammer that 2003 line-up BUT Jovo is one of my all-time favs. Hard not to vote for him anywhere.
Well they were our prime whipping boys at the time, if I recall correctly Malik for having the size but being a marshmellow and Sopel wasn't bad offensively but had the occasional Bieksa-esque brain farts. But at the end of the day they were still decent 2nd pairing dmen in their prime, and judging by the contracts they earned in free agency other GM's thought so as well.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
MarkusNaslund19

vCash: 500
Hfboards is young. I became a die-hard in 94 and I'm not yet 30.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
I think the 03 squad is better, only if they have better goal tending.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Shareefruck

Not remotely close, IMO.

I loved prime-Ohlund though.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
That did make me feel old and I've only been watching hockey since '03.
I think you're younger than me, though. I picked up hockey late.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

I feel really old. I was a Canucks fan before they've ever made the Finals. I'm a converted Habs fan. My favourite players growing up were Guy Lafleur and Ken Dryden.

In '82, going deep into the playoffs was a surreal experience. Having parents that didn't understand hockey didn't help. They took me and my brothers out to dinner during a game and it was beyond them why we were upset. Good thing the people next to us brought their TV to the restaurant. It was a 15 or so inch CRT. Those were fans! And seeing the white towels for the first time? Still sends chills down my spine.

Last edited by Fat Tony: 01-28-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Pure West

Jovo was my favourite Canuck of the west coast express era. He's more talented offensively than any current canuck defenseman.

I dont think Malik ever got enough credit, he was real solid here. I'd have to vote for the 2003 team as a group, because garrison and edler are yet to mesh and we need to find where they fit in now. Its hard to compare since the team the last couple years is better than those old teams (secondary scoring, team defense and goaltending). The only definitive edge of those teams was size.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
It was fun era to be a fan of the canucks, even if the team had holes.

Thanks for posting that! Brings a tear to the eye! Forgettin how great Naslund was!

Just wish he could have gotten a little angrier...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Steve Bennett*

From the 03 era d I used to have fits at them. On paper they had so much promise but had quite a few holes in them. But like someone mentioned, perhaps the lack of confidence in Cloutier contributed to some problems with them.

Ohlund was like a rock, similar to Edler now but without much offence.

Jovo made me mad. He seemed to get worse with time. He had so much talent but he seemed distracted. His defensive mind lapses were crazier than an Aerosmith song. And his offence seemed to deteriorate pretty quickly.

Malik was streakier than a bad wipe. When he first came here I thought he had so much possibility. And when he scored that OT winner against Detroit in March of 2001 or 2002 I thought he was the real deal. But he never really progressed, in fact playing with Jovo seemed to bring his mind to a lull. I guess good for him he got the opportunity to be traded and played better again.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:27 AM
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

For a brief period, we had Ruutu, Cooke and Burrows on the team. I wish we kept all 3 just to troll the rest of the league.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I feel really old. I was a Canucks fan before they've ever made the Finals. I'm a converted Habs fan. My favourite players growing up were Guy Lafleur and Ken Dryden.

In '82, going deep into the playoffs was a surreal experience. Having parents that didn't understand hockey didn't help. They took me and my brothers out to dinner during a game and it was beyond them why we were upset. Good thing the people next to us brought their TV to the restaurant. It was a 15 or so inch CRT. Those were fans! And seeing the white towels for the first time? Still sends chills down my spine.
LOL

Pre Smart phone era.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:59 AM
VanCanucks14

Wow, has it really been 10 years already? I'm going on youtube and reminisce.

And my answer is definitely 2013.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Hammer79

Today's D, they are a lot more sound top to bottom. Sopel and Malik stick out like sore thumbs, and Allen is pretty much like Alberts, except younger and he saw more ice time.

Jovo was the standout for offensive potential, alright defensively, unleashed a big shot. Malik was big and slow, kind of a hold-over from the clutch-and-grab era. Sopel had a decent shot but his offensive potential didn't make up for his defensive game. Ohlund was the most defensively sound, and still racked up assists. We all knew what Salo brought with his booming shot. Allen was the bruiser rookie D-man.

With a couple of tweaks on D, and better goaltending, that 2003 team could have made noise in the playoffs.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Sopel, at least in his time here, was the ultimate meh defenseman. Every element of his game was underwhelming... he didn't seem to actually be "good" at anything. I remember my friends and I saying that having him on the ice was just slightly better than letting the other team have the man advantage.

Based on how little he originally brought to the table, I'm seriously surprised that he managed to have as long a career as he did.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I liked Malik. Let him go too early.
Can't do much if Sather was willing to hand over a huge pile of money for him.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Scott Hall
The Bad Guy

vCash: 331
Malik was a +/- monster for us, but there was a lot of hate on him in his last season.

The biggest mark against him was that he was a soft defender, and it was most evident in the OT winner Gelinas scored against us, which was incidentally the last game Malik ever played in a Canuck jersey.

Scott Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Sopel, at least in his time here, was the ultimate meh defenseman. Every element of his game was underwhelming... he didn't seem to actually be "good" at anything. I remember my friends and I saying that having him on the ice was just slightly better than letting the other team have the man advantage.

Based on how little he originally brought to the table, I'm seriously surprised that he managed to have as long a career as he did.
He did manage to make a couple saves on an open Canucks net, preventing several goals against. Some of those were actually pretty good, better than anything Cloutier had to offer.

But yes, other than that quirk, he was just the type of defender who was there. Never really stood out as someone worthwhile, and I'm also surprised he lasted as long as he did.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

Unfortunately wasn't really a hard core fan at the time, have only been seriously been following the NhL for about 5 years. Interesting to see the reminiscing though

Pip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
He did manage to make a couple saves on an open Canucks net, preventing several goals against. Some of those were actually pretty good, better than anything Cloutier had to offer.

But yes, other than that quirk, he was just the type of defender who was there. Never really stood out as someone worthwhile, and I'm also surprised he lasted as long as he did.
He also managed to make almost scoring on his own net a regular thing as well. I've never seen a guy constantly regroup behind the net only to have it get caught in the goaltender's feet somehow. AHLers don't even do that.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:13 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Props to Öhlund, Salo and Jovo, but the current D is a trusty (yes!) NHL lineup.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Fraser Read

I cant believe that team is a decade old now. Jesus.

Fraser Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:23 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Sopel and Malik had no business being that high in our system, They should've been the bottom 2 on the team IMO, I personally like the D core we have now better, especially with Edler and Hamhuis, they're gamebreakers and I don't think Jovo and Ohlund we're that, and if they were they weren't consistent gamebreakers.
Ohlund and Jovanovski were better than anyone on our current blueline.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
You're not alone. There are a few of us here who remember Suitcase winning our first ever playoff game for us.

Quote:
In '82, going deep into the playoffs was a surreal experience.
Oh yeah...

Old
01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
Dado

vCash:
Who would have predicted that, off all those defensemen in either era, Sopel would be the first with a Stanley Cup ring..

Old
01-30-2013, 12:35 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Jovo was the 4th forward, forgot about how to play defense
Ohlund was a rock defensemen, Salo had a booming shot
Sopel can let it go off the point, stud defensemen
Allen the rookie was alright, Malik was smooth but sometimes forgot about the defense
Baron was the ageless vet who brought some game

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote