HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Alain Vigneault the worst coach in the NHL right now?

Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
The funny thing is that you are so convinced that this is a reaction to the Canucks decent start...the reality is, a lot of people who cheer for the Canucks have wanted AV fired for 3 years.

That includes myself. I hate the way other teams seem to make better adjustments that we do during the playoffs - I couldn't care less about his performance during the regular season.
Key word in you post is "seem". Perception.

Actually much of this nonsense is based on canuck fans overvaluing our own players.

Stack up the players from CHI, BOS and LA. Are the canuck players better? Nope.

So it begs the questiom how does an AV coached team manage to have relatively the same playoff records minus the cups as those teams

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:06 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
The funny thing is that you are so convinced that this is a reaction to the Canucks decent start...the reality is, a lot of people who cheer for the Canucks have wanted AV fired for 3 years.

That includes myself. I hate the way other teams seem to make better adjustments that we do during the playoffs - I couldn't care less about his performance during the regular season.
How about for the last 5 years, how he survived the 2008 season I'll never know, losing 6 of the last 7 games to miss the playoffs costing Nonis his job.

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This. Back-to-back President Trophies and fans still haul on him. I'll gladly take him on the Rangers.
I wish we could trade coaches

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
The Canucks are currently missing their 2nd line. Without them we aren't a top team in the league and you can't expect results similar to what we have been used to the past couple of seasons. The team will get healthy and they will improve. Can we please avoid the whole sky is falling bit for some real concerns. We are a .500 team 6 games in and that is about right with the current roster. This thread isn't made if the two shootout losses are shootout wins, and shootouts are meaningless so you can see how meaningless this thread is.
Missing the second lines means it's okay to constantly blow 2 goal leads and come out completely unprepared night after night?

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Key word in you post is "seem". Perception.

Actually much of this nonsense is based on canuck fans overvaluing our own players.

Stack up the players from CHI, BOS and LA. Are the canuck players better? Nope.

So it begs the questiom how does an AV coached team manage to have relatively the same playoff records minus the cups as those teams
I tend to agree. The Canucks have a few elite players in the Sedin twins and Luongo. Kessler had one great season. After that the Canucks are nothing special and teams with more depth that are more physical make road kill out of them in the playoffs.

It seems like this thread is somewhat of a reaction from last night and a blown 2 goal lead. The Canucks were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. With 48 games in 99 days this is going to happen to a lot of road teams. Get used to it for this season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeinator View Post
6 years with the Canucks. So...
- 5 years in the playoffs
- 3 years 1st in the division
- 2 years President's Trophy
- 1 year Stanley Cup Finals

And as of right now, 13th in the league, 6th in the conference.

Vigneault has brought the team its most successful string of seasons, and he's the worst coach because he's lost 2 of the first 6 this season?

Vigneault has always been criticized pretty much after every year the Canucks don't win the cup. I bet more than a few teams would be interested in someone of his resume if he gets canned.

Vancouver's a toxic environment, and I believe I'm only half-exaggerating when I say that.
He is a very good coach, but the team has been terrible since last January.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Someone said this already, but if Vigneault was fired today, he'd be snapped up in an instant and hired tomorrow. The real question is whether or not he's the right coach for your team at this point in time. As an outsider, it doesn't look to me like he's lost the room, so I'm not sure what you'd gain unless there is a clear upgrade out there waiting for a job.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This. Back-to-back President Trophies and fans still haul on him. I'll gladly take him on the Rangers.
Eating our own - it's what we do.

The guy turned the Sedins from run of the mill Euros into Art Ross winners - he's done a FANTASTIC job in Vancouver and if we lose him, he will no doubt do a FANTASTIC job at one of our rivals.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Of course it's not bad, however LA Kings has shown us as long as you get into the playoffs, anything can happen.
Right, but the canucks shouldn't exactly bet on favorable match ups and zero defense injuries every round.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:37 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
The Canucks under AV are off to their 2nd hottest start after their 1st 6 games.

On fire - relatively speaking.

He's beasting it right now from behind the bench... and that's without his second line.

oh.. reference purposes...
The best canuck start in recent yrs: 2008: 3-3

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
useless

Why do you believe he's a bad coach. What has he not been doing well as a coach? Please use coaching terms so I can understand.

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
The Kings showed that there are teams built to win in the playoffs, and teams built to win meaningless regular season games.

Guess which side the Canucks fall under.
Canucks made it to game 7 with a team decimated by injuries. I guess winning 15 playoff games shows the team is poorly built though.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Oilers
Wild
Flames
Avs
36-15-2 outside the division, a 111 point pace which would have been good enough to win the presidents trophy anyway.

Last year they would have been 5th overall, but I played like trash for half the season so meh.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
Why do you believe he's a bad coach. What has he not been doing well as a coach? Please use coaching terms so I can understand.
People who don't understand coaching believe AV is easily replaceable... they believe anyone could come in and do a better job simply by not using the Sedins or Edler in the shootout.

I'm a Canuck fan... and the worst thing on these message boards can be other Canuck fans. sometimes i hope those fans get what they wish and get to see where this team ends up..
A Canuck team without AV and Luongo... their dream would not match the reality that would result.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
I think it's using certain players (ie. Andrew Ebbett) in situations where there's a better alternative... Ebbett was out on the PK/PP against SJ. And then last night, there was no push back from the team when we were getting dominated by LA. They just kept dumping the puck down the ice, trying to preserve a 2-1 lead... The defense leaving Luongo out to dry for most of the second (though that's on Bonus). And with two consecutive PP opportunities to put LA away, the Canucks just had no urgency whatsoever.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
I wish we could trade coaches
I wish we could drop you on fan-waivers.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM
InjuredChoker

Vigneault has seemed pretty good coach to me but obviously Canucks fans are more aware of his abilities and weaknesses than I am.

Questions to Canucks fans; what kind of relationship Vigneault has with players?

And assuming Vigneault is booted.. who is he replaced by, preferably?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post

Awesome

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
Someone said this already, but if Vigneault was fired today, he'd be snapped up in an instant and hired tomorrow. The real question is whether or not he's the right coach for your team at this point in time. As an outsider, it doesn't look to me like he's lost the room, so I'm not sure what you'd gain unless there is a clear upgrade out there waiting for a job.
Good for him, once again I will drive him to the airport so he can fly to his new job as soon as possible. Marc Crawford is an obvious upgrade over AV.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:07 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I'm a Flames fan, so I'm always looking for a new reason to hate on the Canucks. But I can't get behind this OP at all.

Vigneualt is probably among the top ten best coaches in the league. I think Vancouver is confused about what a ****** coach looks like.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Eating our own - it's what we do.

The guy turned the Sedins from run of the mill Euros into Art Ross winners - he's done a FANTASTIC job in Vancouver and if we lose him, he will no doubt do a FANTASTIC job at one of our rivals.
fantastic job on using Aaron Rome over Keith Ballard, using Ebbett instead of any nhl servicable player in the team, using useless players over useful players. It's lucky for him that Gillis is able to assemble one of the best canucks team in canucks history, allowing the team to win despite him.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Vigneault has seemed pretty good coach to me but obviously Canucks fans are more aware of his abilities and weaknesses than I am.

Questions to Canucks fans; what kind of relationship Vigneault has with players?

And assuming Vigneault is booted.. who is he replaced by, preferably?

Awesome
To me, it seems AV just lets the players play their own game and have a calming influence and let the players play with ease, instead of panic and shout to all players who do one thing wrong. I sometimes wish he would go absolutely nuts when the Canucks are playing terrible but he might do that in the locker room, you never know.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I'm a Flames fan, so I'm always looking for a new reason to hate on the Canucks. But I can't get behind this OP at all.

Vigneualt is probably among the top ten best coaches in the league. I think Vancouver is confused about what a ****** coach looks like.
I have to be honest with you, the calgary flames is the least favourite team of mine in the nhl. Even I don't want him to coach the Flames, its that much i don't like AV.

Old
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Lets do a trade

Vigneault for Sacco

Then lets see who this thread gets made about

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:14 PM
serge2k

Quote:
I have to be honest with you, the calgary flames is the least favourite team of mine in the nhl. Even I don't want him to coach the Flames, its that much i don't like AV.
I don't want a coaching the flames because I think it would make them a better team.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Lemmiwinks

What I learned from this thread:

- It is in fact better if a team does not win the president's trophy. Winning the PT is considered a minus to the coach, since winning games outside the playoffs is completely meaningless.

- A game-seven cup final run can be discredited after six games in a regular season.

Lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote