HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Every Time Danny Cleary

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
Consider this: We are paying him almost 4 million a year.
And do you see him NOT getting re-signed? There's almost a 0% chance he won't get another multi-year contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
And do you see him NOT getting re-signed? There's almost a 0% chance he won't get another multi-year contract.
I think we need to consider the compliance buyout, but more amazing to me is that Quincey is near 15 million dollars in earnings. Like you said he would likely get a decent contract off the bat, not probably for the same dollar amount, but people should keep in mind he played for Canada last year in the World Championships. It is clear the hockey community sees him in a little different light than Wings fans.

On Cleary his time is up, he pushed his body to the limit and unless a miracle happens for him health wise I just don't see it. I think he can be unloaded to a contender at the deadline and should be. There are options for the Wings, he will be missed for his dressing room presence, and he was a great signing back at the last lockout. Really gives everything he has, have no problem with his effort, he just cannot get it done anymore and it is starting to lead to a ton of frustration penalties.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I doubt Cleary is moved unless he asks to be moved, and I can't see him doing that.

edit: and I don't mind that. For me, he's where Holmstrom was the past couple of years. He might look poor in the regular season, but when the playoffs roll around we won't be wondering why Cleary isn't taking the body, or working harder. The guy will leave it all on the ice. Will it be enough? I don't know, but he's earned the benefit of the doubt that he'll find another gear when it counts.

01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I doubt Cleary is moved unless he asks to be moved, and I can't see him doing that.

edit: and I don't mind that. For me, he's where Holmstrom was the past couple of years. He might look poor in the regular season, but when the playoffs roll around we won't be wondering why Cleary isn't taking the body, or working harder. The guy will leave it all on the ice. Will it be enough? I don't know, but he's earned the benefit of the doubt that he'll find another gear when it counts.
I honestly don't know that he can find another gear. He is working pretty hard despite some peoples comments in the last three games. Might as well throw out the opener.

He has never got comfortable in front of the net again after the broken jaw in my opinion. So that role is a bit confusing, in fact I liked the idea when Cleary got hit yesterday of trying Gator there. I know a lot of people aren't super high on Abdelkader, but he was a solid net front guy at both MSU and GR. So he should get a shot if they are looking for that, he would be my second choice after Franzen. We might find out he really does a great job on the second unit and provides more than people think. It would certainly raise his value to the team then also. Would save Cleary for the pk and help him in his actual minutes.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I honestly don't know that he can find another gear. He is working pretty hard despite some peoples comments in the last three games. Might as well throw out the opener.

He has never got comfortable in front of the net again after the broken jaw in my opinion. So that role is a bit confusing, in fact I liked the idea when Cleary got hit yesterday of trying Gator there. I know a lot of people aren't super high on Abdelkader, but he was a solid net front guy at both MSU and GR. So he should get a shot if they are looking for that, he would be my second choice after Franzen. We might find out he really does a great job on the second unit and provides more than people think. It would certainly raise his value to the team then also. Would save Cleary for the pk and help him in his actual minutes.
I don't know if Cleary can find it or not, either. There's a good chance he can't, but I'd be willing to give him the chance to do it.

With the net front stuff, I don't know. I don't like Cleary on the powerplay just because I'm not sure he brings a whole lot to it. I'd be fine running Gator out there for it once in awhile to give it a look. I also wouldn't mind seeing Ericsson stuck in front of the net. He skates pretty well, he used to be a forward, and someone his size would have to be a handful in front.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Every time I see danny cleary skating on the Wings I think nyquist or tatar should be playing in his spot.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
gamefan14*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsO6YFc2uw

best cleary moment

Old
01-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

If Cleary gets resigned I will lose my mind. Holland does not deserve a job if he brings him back.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Cleary would find work for another team. Guys like Arnott and Halpern keep finding work. Hell, Knuble, too.

But the difference is the Wings have NHL ready young players knocking at the door. Clearly is a nice stopgap if you're completely out of options, but that's just not the case this season or moving forward.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Cleary would find work for another team. Guys like Arnott and Halpern keep finding work. Hell, Knuble, too.

But the difference is the Wings have NHL ready young players knocking at the door. Clearly is a nice stopgap if you're completely out of options, but that's just not the case this season or moving forward.
Of course Cleary would find a gig on another team. But whatever team picked him up wouldn't rely on him on the PK, PP and during critical times in the game. Currently he's a detriment to the Wings, but Babcock loves him and trusts him unconditionally.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

I could see a team like Florida or Phoenix snagging Cleary.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Love your gravatar Bench. How was the latest episode of Portlandia? Haven't watched it yet. Got it on the DVR.
Please stop. Every time you say "it" I see a penis.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

He's been one of my favorites over the past six seasons, but his play thus far is indefensible. He gives up the puck constantly and does nothing of value.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
the guy doesnt care about playing hockey anymore..hes a member at my CC and he was playing platform tennis saturday morning, for 3 hours...could care less if he tweaked his knee, or anything. the guy was paid for his 20 goals, and as long as he and babs are together, cleary will always be the player we are seeing now. its time to step up, or just bench him for players who want to play

Old
01-28-2013, 03:21 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
the guy doesnt care about playing hockey anymore..hes a member at my CC and he was playing platform tennis saturday morning, for 3 hours...could care less if he tweaked his knee, or anything. the guy was paid for his 20 goals, and as long as he and babs are together, cleary will always be the player we are seeing now. its time to step up, or just bench him for players who want to play
Then why don't you personally confront him on this issue? Tell them "Dude, the guys at HFboards think you suck and don't care anymore about playing Hockey, and are just interested in the cash since Coach Babcock's love for you guarantee's a playing spot." I get sick and tired of this whole nonsense that X player doesn't care. If they didn't care they'd hang 'em up and take their retirement checks ASAP.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefan14 View Post
Another good one here: the hit on Phaneuf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgeDlYSxLmQ

Old
01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Huddy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Then why don't you personally confront him on this issue? Tell them "Dude, the guys at HFboards think you suck and don't care anymore about playing Hockey, and are just interested in the cash since Coach Babcock's love for you guarantee's a playing spot." I get sick and tired of this whole nonsense that X player doesn't care. If they didn't care they'd hang 'em up and take their retirement checks ASAP.
Trust me, a lot of his friends there including myself, raised the eyebrow and asked what he was doing there...you think we just sit there in awe of danny cleary?LOL

Cleary got paid his money for his 20 goal season, and now look at him, Injuries have barred him for past couple years, but hes NOT hurt anymore. He has taken the time off, has done what he has done to get back to playing, yet still hasnt shown what he once was. Lets not also forget the times he was playing golf on one knee, thus applying more pressure to his knee than needed. The guy IMO and from what I have seen, just doesnt care anymore. Knows hes a Wing, gets paid like a top 6 winger and accepts just floating around....

Old
01-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Huge Jackman
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Huge Jackman
Quote:
Trust me, a lot of his friends there including myself, raised the eyebrow and asked what he was doing there...you think we just sit there in awe of danny cleary?LOL

Cleary got paid his money for his 20 goal season, and now look at him, Injuries have barred him for past couple years, but hes NOT hurt anymore. He has taken the time off, has done what he has done to get back to playing, yet still hasnt shown what he once was. Lets not also forget the times he was playing golf on one knee, thus applying more pressure to his knee than needed. The guy IMO and from what I have seen, just doesnt care anymore. Knows hes a Wing, gets paid like a top 6 winger and accepts just floating around....
I don't get your reasoning, nor what you are expecting from Cleary. Is he just to go to the rink, come back and be bubble-wrapped until it's time to go to the rink again? And, since when does physical inability equate to lack of desire?

The one thing that I've seen and that is consistently reflected in this thread is that Danny has heart. I can accept that his playing days may be at an end but at least he's still leaving it all on the ice every night.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
gamefan14*

Quote:

2.8m a year isn't really top 6 winger pay

Old
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Huddy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
I don't get your reasoning, nor what you are expecting from Cleary. Is he just to go to the rink, come back and be bubble-wrapped until it's time to go to the rink again? And, since when does physical inability equate to lack of desire?

The one thing that I've seen and that is consistently reflected in this thread is that Danny has heart. I can accept that his playing days may be at an end but at least he's still leaving it all on the ice every night.
Um, he shouldnt be playing another sport where he could injure himself. There is a reason NHL players cant ski during the season, and playing platform tennis, is just as dangerous when your pivoting and shuffling 90% of the time. Cleary, bad knee and all, should not be playing another sport where an injury to his knee could happen. Not that hard to understand.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Um, he shouldnt be playing another sport where he could injure himself. There is a reason NHL players cant ski during the season, and playing platform tennis, is just as dangerous when your pivoting and shuffling 90% of the time. Cleary, bad knee and all, should not be playing another sport where an injury to his knee could happen. Not that hard to understand.
He should also refrain from playing chess as one bad move may negatively influence his decision making. These guys are not cattle they have lives and are free to live them how ever they choose.

If any cattle were offended I apologize.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
There human beings, I'm pretty sure they can do whatever they'd like during their free-time, barring anything insane obviously. That being said, I don't think Cleary has anything left in the tank and doesn't deserve the roles he's being given by Babs.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
If nothing else, a fan has to appreciate this:

But it is time.
Exactly what I was going to post. I can never hate Cleary cause of this goal.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
I've said here many times that people underestimate Cleary and that he'll bounce back. I believe that I was wrong. He really does seem to be quite useless these days. I also appreciate what he did for this team in the past, but he looks done.

I agree with Huddy that he seems emotionally disinterested, I don't think it's only a issue of him being physically washed up.

I hope also wasn't wrong about Sammy because he's signed for a couple more years.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
JPE123

His game seems to be gone. Maybe a goal or two would get his mojo back but I'm not counting on it. At this point youth would serve us better

Closed Thread