HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
  #426
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???
 
NHLfan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glendale
Country: United States
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I seriously doubt there was some mass exodus of people that left Winnipeg for Phoenix just to keep following their team.
There wasn't. Trust me on that one. They hardly followed them at the time, so if 200 people migrated to PHX to see them, it was hardly noticeable.

NHLfan4life is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
  #427
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 50
Still 60 hours to go! Should be a wild ride, I can smell a new thread title!

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
  #428
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,874
vCash: 500
I just don't see what could be figured out in the next few days that the past 18 months could not handle. Even with the new CBA, they've had enough time to understand that document.

I'm like 80% Jamison does not have the money.

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
  #429
Blitz
WANTED: Top-4 LHD...
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fergus, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I just don't see GJ stringing people along if he wasn't sure he could deliver. I'd give it 2/3 chance of a sale and 1/3 chance at best of the deal not materializing. Either way hang tough brother.

If you end up being a free agent might I recommend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_IceCaps

It's pretty hard to walk away from $300M - Even if I had a 1 in 1000 chance of an investor falling in my lap at the last minute, I think I would hold on until they told me to leave.

Honestly, IMO if GJ was even close he would have liquidated his shares in SJ to make up the difference/close the gap financially, which to my knowledge he has yet to do so. If nothing else, with 60 hours to go he should already have a finalized agreement/MOU in place showing that he has the $$$ in hand/escrow ready to go and detailing exactly when ownership & control will be transferred... unless there is a new media black hole over Glendale that is preventing news leaks, there is no such agreement in place.

I feel that if he had adequate financing at this point the sale & transfer would already be done, if for no other reason than the league doesn't have to cut another round of paycheques to the Yotes personnel...

Blitz is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
  #430
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,305
vCash: 500
Has anyone seen any thing in the Phoenix media about an announcement of a press conference or media event for tomorrow or Thursday?

MNNumbers is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
  #431
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Well if the following is true:

Quote:
Paul Calvisi‏@PaulCalvisi

Update on #Coyotes sale to Greg Jamison: Multiple sources say "deal should be done by tomorrow" ...a day ahead of the deadline.
This guy is with the same station (KTAR 92.3) that did the piece yesterday with "Wires" (Weiers).

Perhaps we won't have to wait till Thursday

Major4Boarding is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
  #432
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying
 
Evil Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cambridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Folks: the forums shouldn't be used to settle personal disputes. At least make some modicum of effort to stay on the topic of the thread.

It's been one of those mornings, eh? 'settle personal disputes', almost makes it sound like a prison riot...

Speaking of which, obviously there hasn't been any word on the NHL side of the equation (otherwise this would be a brand new thread right now...), but it occured to me that it doesn't matter if Jamison has a press conference before Friday, what matters is Gary Bettman holding a press conference announcing that the BOG has voted to accept Jamison as the new owner of the Coyotes. If all Jamison does is say he has the money and is ready to buy the Coyotes, it's basically the same as not having the money and not wanting to buy the Coyotes...

Evil Doctor is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
  #433
rt
Powers Gold Label
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: County Cork
Country: Ireland
Posts: 53,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Has anyone seen any thing in the Phoenix media about an announcement of a press conference or media event for tomorrow or Thursday?
I'm not sure the Phoenix media would require much advanced notice, given that the Suns are in last place, have zero star players, and have already canned their coaching staff. Cardinals and DBacks aren't playing. The sports media in this town is probably just drinking heavily and staring at their phones.

Edit: Check that, they're all drunk at the Phoenix Open.

__________________
All of it is Dave Tippett's fault. He's the worst.
rt is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
  #434
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 41,701
vCash: 50
One way or another, it's going to be a weird, weird moment when this is all said and done.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  #435
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23,668
vCash: 500
Hey folks, it's only Tuesday.

Perhaps Jamison needs this to get to the brink before some of his JIG folks agree to the terms of engagement with Jamison and others. Everyone might be jockeying for the best deal, and then agreeing when the sand is almost out of the hourglass. Alternatively, perhaps Jamison is letting things go to near the deadline to see what the NHL's best price and terms are, figuring that they will be motivated by the deadline.

If either of these scenarios are true, then kudos to the old silver fox.

Whileee is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
  #436
kihekah19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 5,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Well if the following is true:



This guy is with the same station (KTAR 92.3) that did the piece yesterday with "Wires" (Weiers).

Perhaps we won't have to wait till Thursday

KTAR Sports News/Talk 92.3 is not what you would call "Coyote friendly" either. If Calvisi is reporting, he's either being duped or there is some validity to what he's reporting.

I think the good thing is, that the drama (which really isn't there anymore) will be settled soon.

kihekah19 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
  #437
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Well if the following is true:



This guy is with the same station (KTAR 92.3) that did the piece yesterday with "Wires" (Weiers).

Perhaps we won't have to wait till Thursday
Oh man! That wouldn't even surprise me!

Every single time you think they are done and will be relocating. A miracle happens at the last second and saves them!

But still, it's not done yet and time is running out quickly..... tick toc tock toc tick toc.......


Acesolid is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
  #438
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
It's been one of those mornings, eh? 'settle personal disputes', almost makes it sound like a prison riot...

Speaking of which, obviously there hasn't been any word on the NHL side of the equation (otherwise this would be a brand new thread right now...), but it occured to me that it doesn't matter if Jamison has a press conference before Friday, what matters is Gary Bettman holding a press conference announcing that the BOG has voted to accept Jamison as the new owner of the Coyotes. If all Jamison does is say he has the money and is ready to buy the Coyotes, it's basically the same as not having the money and not wanting to buy the Coyotes...
Yes, I wonder about this. Technically, wouldn't Jamison have to have completed the purchase of the team prior to the deadline to effectuate the lease agreement?

Does Jamison therefore have to get this signed and sealed with the NHL, including a vote at the BOG before Thursday? If so, he's cutting it rather close.

Whileee is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:37 PM
  #439
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
One thing I'd like to ask of the brilliant minds here... Is there a possibility of a purchase agreement announcement but the consumation goes past Thursday. Does it fall into the scope of, or satisfy, the "Closing" date?

What I'm getting at is, and my copy of the Lease Agreement is not handy as I'm at work, an official purchase announcement can come tomorrow or Thursday regardless but if the agreement is not fully consummated after Jan 31, does that mean it didn't meet the "Closing" date? I'm assuming it doesn't but some guidance would be most appreciated.

Edit: Sorry Evil D... didn't see you posted similarly

Edit Edit: You too Whilee

Major4Boarding is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
  #440
Killion
Registered User
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
This guy is with the same station... yesterday with "Wires" (Weiers).
"Wires" huh?.... thanks for reminding me. Im going to have to get the hangers
in my hall closet spayed & neutered. Their all over each other. Obscene really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
It's been one of those mornings, eh? 'settle personal disputes', almost makes it sound like a prison riot...
Yepp.... oops. Would you mind bending over & picking up the Zest there Doc?

Killion is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #441
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
Like Evil Doctor said on the other Jamison thread. We can understand there is a tight seal-proof of a press conference or whatever if it's bad news. But if it's good news, the leaks should be going nuts right now. (Bad news being unable to close the deal, good news being deal done).

powerstuck is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #442
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???
 
NHLfan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glendale
Country: United States
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Like Evil Doctor said on the other Jamison thread. We can understand there is a tight seal-proof of a press conference or whatever if it's bad news. But if it's good news, the leaks should be going nuts right now. (Bad news being unable to close the deal, good news being deal done).
I tend to think the leaks would be full blast no matter what the news is good or bad. Might be NHL-induced silence either way. Not sure of the motive either way.

NHLfan4life is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
  #443
PeeBee78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: T-Dot!
Country: India
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
I tend to think the leaks would be full blast no matter what the news is good or bad. Might be NHL-induced silence either way. Not sure of the motive either way.
I think we haven't seen a decision leak one way or the other is because it truly hasn't been decided yet. I think Jamison is working the phones hard trying to piece this together before Friday. Either way time is running out.....if he had the money they wouldn't wait until the last minute. There is no need to make a dramatic last minute deal, he doesn't have the money and he's working the phones hard to get it by the 31st....

PeeBee78 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
  #444
Fidel Astro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 148
Maybe this is a long shot and I'm sorry if it's already been discussed, but is it possible Jamison has the money but is stalling on his decision because he has wanted to give the team a chance to pick things up?

The attendance right now is dismal, as is the team's on-ice record. It doesn't look like a very desirable purchase at the moment, and Jamison still has the ability to back out at this point.

I'm certainly not pretending to understand the mentality behind a millionaire businessman, but I know if I was considering buying something and I saw that it didn't work the way I was hoping it would, I might hold on to my money a little longer.

Of course, there's also the likelihood that Jamison already knows the team is a turd and that it'll take 700 years before it makes a single dime in profit, but he's buying it anyway to prove a point.

Fidel Astro is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
  #445
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
One thing I'd like to ask of the brilliant minds here... Is there a possibility of a purchase agreement announcement but the consumation goes past Thursday. Does it fall into the scope of, or satisfy, the "Closing" date?

What I'm getting at is, and my copy of the Lease Agreement is not handy as I'm at work, an official purchase announcement can come tomorrow or Thursday regardless but if the agreement is not fully consummated after Jan 31, does that mean it didn't meet the "Closing" date? I'm assuming it doesn't but some guidance would be most appreciated.

Edit: Sorry Evil D... didn't see you posted similarly

Edit Edit: You too Whilee
It seems like they can't have a lot of loose ends by the Closing Date (January 31, 2013).

Quote:
(a) The Arena Manager and the Team Owner shall have duly and timely performed and fulfilled in all material respects its duties, obligations, promises, covenants and agreements hereunder with respect to the period between the Effective Date and the Closing..

(b) The representations and warranties given by Arena Manager and the Team Owner to the City hereunder shall be true and correct in all material respects as of the Closing Date.

(c) The NHL Purchase and Financing Condition.

(d) All conditions to the consummation of the transactions contemplated under the NHL Purchase and Financing Condition shall have been satisfied or waived.

(e) The Related Agreements shall have been executed and delivered by the Arena Manager and the Team Owner.

(f) The Closing Date shall have occurred on or before January 31, 2013 (the “Outside Closing Date”), unless extended by the City.

Whileee is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
  #446
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 9,279
vCash: 500
Sunnucks has more sources... again....

Two sources familiar with the deal told me today that Jamison’s group will close the deal tomorrow, while another official said it will happen Thursday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-close-on.html

Whoa, Source, Source.
Everywhere a Source.
Blockin' out the scen'ry.
Breakin' my mind.
Buy this. Don't Buy that.
Can't you hear the Source?

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
  #447
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
penny for your thoughts, joyce

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
  #448
OKCDevil
Registered User
 
OKCDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: PHX North Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I just don't see GJ stringing people along if he wasn't sure he could deliver. I'd give it 2/3 chance of a sale and 1/3 chance at best of the deal not materializing. Either way hang tough brother.

If you end up being a free agent might I recommend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_IceCaps

Thanks man, appreciate it. The latest news sounds really promising but until the ink is dry I'm not getting my hopes up. Too much of that the past few years.

Ice Caps, eh? I might consider that. OKC is tied with the Oilers so I guess that would be an option, though I'm closer in distance to St. Louis and Colorado, so one of those two would be the replacement should the Coyotes wander off.

OKCDevil is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
  #449
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Hey folks, it's only Tuesday.

Perhaps Jamison needs this to get to the brink before some of his JIG folks agree to the terms of engagement with Jamison and others. Everyone might be jockeying for the best deal, and then agreeing when the sand is almost out of the hourglass. Alternatively, perhaps Jamison is letting things go to near the deadline to see what the NHL's best price and terms are, figuring that they will be motivated by the deadline.

If either of these scenarios are true, then kudos to the old silver fox.
Based on Jamison's NHL connections and Bettman's blood lust for negotiations of all sorts, I really doubt he is grinding the league.

saskganesh is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
  #450
danishh
Registered User
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YOW
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,327
vCash: 50
which one of you guys found bettman's plane on flightaware? Any recent tracking info on it?

danishh is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.