HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Notable Scalebacks as a THANK YOU for fans

Old
01-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

vCash: 500
This is the reality of having a NHL team. Just be thankful we have one.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I am sorry you are upset you had to pay more for your sandwich. I found my free beer helped me wash mine down.

This is a business that employees hundreds of individuals. They need to make money. If they don't, we don't have a team to go watch.
They make plenty of money. Clever accounting may make it seem otherwise, but dont forget that the pocket it ultimately goes into also owns the arena AND ticketing company.

The score magazines is the worst one. Hell, they used to give out free Bodycheck magazines...like...REAL magazines.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
First the jersey thread, and now this one. When EVERYTHING is an issue to complain about, you kind of have to look at the source of the complaint.
If you have been a STH for any amount of time you will have noticed that prices have skyrocketed and services have plummeted.

Its astounding how much less you get for your money now.

The most frustrating thing is when you go to a game like last night, and the Sens advertise how STH get the best deal possible, then the next ad is for Metro family night...which is a much better deal.

Im all for promos like MFN, but its a little disappointing when you pour thousands into the team year after year and arent treated as well as walk up customers.

The "welcome back" stuff has been pretty good for non STH, but the perks for STH are actually reduced from last season.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
The score magazines is the worst one. Hell, they used to give out free Bodycheck magazines...like...REAL magazines.
If it's so important to you, you won't mind paying a token amount for it. Otherwise, printing 19,153 magazines to be read by 600 people is just stupid.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:44 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
If it's so important to you, you won't mind paying a token amount for it. Otherwise, printing 19,153 magazines to be read by 600 people is just stupid.
There are lots of important things. Should I have to pay to use the bathrooms there? Maybe they should charge for seat cushions.

I pay thousands of dollars for my tickets. This used to be included. Now it isnt, despite my tickets being more expensive. That isnt a legitimate complaint?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
There are lots of important things. Should I have to pay to use the bathrooms there? Maybe they should charge for seat cushions.

I pay thousands of dollars for my tickets. This used to be included. Now it isnt, despite my tickets being more expensive. That isnt a legitimate complaint?
Season ticket holders don't pay more per ticket than someone who buys a ticket off capital tickets - they pay less.

01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Season ticket holders don't pay more per ticket than someone who buys a ticket off capital tickets - they pay less.
Not if the person gets a promo like Metro Family night. I have had people sit next to me who paid less for their ticket and got food and drinks included.

Either way, you are taking that out of context. They are more expensive than they were in the past.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
How to never spend a dollar on drinks:

1- buy pocket shots or airport bottles
2- stick them in every pocket you have
3- have your female friend sneak in a soda in their purse, or if your really good hide it yourself.
4- go to a bathroom stall and mix your cocktail, or even just do it under your seat.
5- profit.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
SilverSeven

Just strap a keg to your back and claim you are Quasimodo

Last edited by SilverSeven: 01-29-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:
If you have been a STH for any amount of time you will have noticed that prices have skyrocketed and services have plummeted.

Its astounding how much less you get for your money now.

The most frustrating thing is when you go to a game like last night, and the Sens advertise how STH get the best deal possible, then the next ad is for Metro family night...which is a much better deal.

Im all for promos like MFN, but its a little disappointing when you pour thousands into the team year after year and arent treated as well as walk up customers.

The "welcome back" stuff has been pretty good for non STH, but the perks for STH are actually reduced from last season.
The cost of acquiring a new customer is substantially higher than the cost of retaining a current customer. That's something that holds true across all business. That's why there's always promo plans for cell phone plans, internet packages and tv subscriptions that are NOT for existing customers.

With regards to the magazine it's fairly wasteful to print so many copies of something read by so small a percentage of those attending. What they should have done by now is install a public wifi network and have a ScotiaBank Place app that pushes notifications for in-house entertainment to your phone.

BankStreetParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
Not if the person gets a promo like Metro Family night. I have had people sit next to me who paid less for their ticket and got food and drinks included.

Either way, you are taking that out of context. They are more expensive than they were in the past.
Take BankStreetParade's answer, add in inflation, and there's your answer.

01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
I just throw 4 tallboys in my belt
Next to your onion?

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Quote:
I just throw 4 tallboys in my belt
Either your pulling my leg or you're my hero.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:

...and how much more would your tickets have cost if they continued to waste money printing those things 41 nights a year?

Things change. Esso used to pump your gas for you. Loblaws used to just give out plastic bags. Air Canada used to give you a meal. Then they realized that they can limit price increases by eliminating superfluous stuff that not everybody cares about. We're capable of pumping our own gas; we're smart enough to bring our own bags to the store, we're willing to pack a sandwich with us on a flight. And most people don't have the interest to read that little magazine cover-to-cover. So why waste the money to make it when they won't get looked at by 90% of the people who get one?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankStreetParade View Post
The cost of acquiring a new customer is substantially higher than the cost of retaining a current customer. That's something that holds true across all business. That's why there's always promo plans for cell phone plans, internet packages and tv subscriptions that are NOT for existing customers.

With regards to the magazine it's fairly wasteful to print so many copies of something read by so small a percentage of those attending. What they should have done by now is install a public wifi network and have a ScotiaBank Place app that pushes notifications for in-house entertainment to your phone.
Agreed, but yearly the Sens send out letters saying that we get the best deal. 2 or 3 years ago they sent out one addressing the myriad of complaints they had received that it was cheaper to NOT be a STH, and the letter vowed that that would change. It hasnt (though I will admit that there are far less games where people can get in cheaper than STHs can), but each game you will hear them come over the PA announcing how STHs get the best deal for each game of the year.

I mean, before at least you wouldnt get the promo prices, but you got a free jersey, a free print, a couple of free games, and everything was much cheaper. Now prices have gone up and they have nixed many of the benefits that they used to have. The VIP points have made some new ones available, but they have also made it impossible to get as much as you used to. Now you choose between them, where as before you were just given multiple.

Again, its just a little annoying when you have seen it for so long. My family got a 10 pack in 1992, and we have been STH since then. I took over the account nearly 10 years ago, and even in that time it has changed drastically. I have no issues with prices going up. Thats life. My issue is that prices have gone up, and value has gone way down. You used to get a lot more for your dollar.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM
SilverSeven

On second thought...Maybe I dont want to post ways to sneak booze....wouldnt want to lose that golden goose!

Last edited by SilverSeven: 01-29-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Ah, my mistake.

Quote:
Metro Family nights aren't that much cheaper than comparable season tickets. They aren't single seat tickets, you have to buy four of them, so it's in a sense a 'group discount'. There are not that many Family nights in any given season, and they're more often than not against against bronze-level teams.

Compared to me buying a single ticket for a Sens-Leafs game, you're getting a large discount.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:16 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:
Agreed, but yearly the Sens send out letters saying that we get the best deal. 2 or 3 years ago they sent out one addressing the myriad of complaints they had received that it was cheaper to NOT be a STH, and the letter vowed that that would change. It hasnt (though I will admit that there are far less games where people can get in cheaper than STHs can), but each game you will hear them come over the PA announcing how STHs get the best deal for each game of the year.

I mean, before at least you wouldnt get the promo prices, but you got a free jersey, a free print, a couple of free games, and everything was much cheaper. Now prices have gone up and they have nixed many of the benefits that they used to have. The VIP points have made some new ones available, but they have also made it impossible to get as much as you used to. Now you choose between them, where as before you were just given multiple.

Again, its just a little annoying when you have seen it for so long. My family got a 10 pack in 1992, and we have been STH since then. I took over the account nearly 10 years ago, and even in that time it has changed drastically. I have no issues with prices going up. Thats life. My issue is that prices have gone up, and value has gone way down. You used to get a lot more for your dollar.
I think that's the underlying problem here: psychology. You got used to the fact that you used to get all these perks for being a STH and it's so hard to ever make changes without people like you saying "we used to get more". In the end, it's a business that's growing. Their market share is expanding. Interest in the team is increasing. To them, if you don't want to be a season ticket holder, they'll find someone who does. I think there's lots of perks to being a STH over just buying games individually. But there's this underlying belief for some reason that STHs should get so much more than non-STHs. Like I mentioned before, it's a delicate balance that companies in the subscription business have to straddle. The cost of acquiring a new customer is very high. In some cases, higher than the customer will be worth in revenue to the company. If you give all the best deals to those who are already subscribed, then what incentive is there for new customers to sign up? The fact that you're already a STH, they know that you're committed to this team. And they know that your money will always be coming in to the team's pockets one way or another. Sad, but true.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankStreetParade View Post
I think that's the underlying problem here: psychology. You got used to the fact that you used to get all these perks for being a STH and it's so hard to ever make changes without people like you saying "we used to get more". In the end, it's a business that's growing. Their market share is expanding. Interest in the team is increasing. To them, if you don't want to be a season ticket holder, they'll find someone who does. I think there's lots of perks to being a STH over just buying games individually. But there's this underlying belief for some reason that STHs should get so much more than non-STHs. Like I mentioned before, it's a delicate balance that companies in the subscription business have to straddle. The cost of acquiring a new customer is very high. In some cases, higher than the customer will be worth in revenue to the company. If you give all the best deals to those who are already subscribed, then what incentive is there for new customers to sign up? The fact that you're already a STH, they know that you're committed to this team. And they know that your money will always be coming in to the team's pockets one way or another. Sad, but true.
You contradict your own logic here. You cant claim "meh, we can just replace you" and then also claim that the cost is so high to get that new person.

Ottawa has also shown over the last 20 years that STHs arent lining up at the door here. We have never had a very good STH base (which probably hurts the STH that there are, as the Sens have to encourage walk up sales).

Old
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Has anyone ever done a comparison to see what our STH's get compared to the other Canadian franchises?

I know two friends who are Jets season tix holders and they get nothing. In fact, they get charged dumb fees for things we get for free like printed tickets and ticket exchange.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Has anyone ever done a comparison to see what our STH's get compared to the other Canadian franchises?

I know two friends who are Jets season tix holders and they get nothing. In fact, they get charged dumb fees for things we get for free like printed tickets and ticket exchange.
Not sure, but as the Canadian team with the lowest STH demand I would hope its more. In comparison this year, everyone got free parking for the home opener. Leafs STH got the game for free.

Demand is through the roof in Winnipeg. They could make a condition of being a STH that they have naming rights to your firstborn and people would still line up. That isnt true in Ottawa, where they have always struggled to attract STH.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Not sure, but as the Canadian team with the lowest STH demand I would hope its more. In comparison this year, everyone got free parking for the home opened. Leafs STH got the game for free.
Yes, but the Sens gave every STH a free game as well. At least us half-season tix holders did.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Yes, but the Sens gave every STH a free game as well. At least us half-season tix holders did.
Well yeah, I get tickets to a game I already paid for tickets to go to.....The Leafs refunded those tickets.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:
You contradict your own logic here. You cant claim "meh, we can just replace you" and then also claim that the cost is so high to get that new person.

Ottawa has also shown over the last 20 years that STHs arent lining up at the door here. We have never had a very good STH base (which probably hurts the STH that there are, as the Sens have to encourage walk up sales).
I didn't contradict myself at all. Selling tickets to casual fans on a per game basis and selling tickets to season ticket holders are two different things. I didn't think I'd have to explain that part, just figured it was understood.

Like I said, this team is trending upward with their market share growing each year. And obviously success helps to accelerate that process. It won't be long before they have a wait list for season tickets.

The problem you have is that you're not satisfied with how many perks you get. All I'm saying is that the Senators organization doesn't believe they owe you that much. I mean you were making a fuss about not getting a magazine that maybe 15% of people who walked through the doors actually read.

Clearly the organization doesn't see it your way. I don't understand how anyone could disagree.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
There is no decent food at SBP, the beer is over-priced.
The concessions at SBP are pretty disappointing in general. The Golden Palace Egg Rolls are good but other things I've had have been pretty mediocre, so I'm learning to avoid them. That and traffic getting out of the parking lots are my biggest complaints, compared to other NHL arenas I've been to. As a place to go watch hockey, it's pretty nice otherwise.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote