HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
I heard State fans had some very funny signs at the game. Stuff like "I took Blacks in North Carolina at UNC with Manti Te'o's girlfriend"
um no... it was

Lennay Kekua was in my AFAM class at UNC

Old
01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

They beat us, and they still won't let it go.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminal Velocity View Post
um no... it was

Lennay Kekua was in my AFAM class at UNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
They beat us, and they still won't let it go.
It's a win over their biggest rival

Old
01-29-2013, 08:11 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

What, no. They aren't our rivals.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
What, no. They aren't our rivals.
Thank you, geez...

I feel like UNC fans went from drastically losing this troll war to winning with this one post...

Last edited by Anton Dubinchuk: 01-29-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

I'm not referring to the win. They have every right to talk about that; it was a beatdown. I'm referring to the academic scandal. I've never seen a group of people so obsessed with something. I wasn't going to say much whether we won or lost because I'd rather not get into a big trollfest (we've done enough of that in the past), but this is exactly the reason why I went from not giving a care about State (and as I mentioned before, actually rooting for them in some cases) to hating them nearly as much as I hate Duke. Speaking of our enemies in Durham... you know what I find interesting about this whole thing? As much as I hate Duke, I haven't heard hardly anything out of them regarding the scandal. Yeah, I'm sure they get a kick out of it, too. But why don't I see them going on and on about it? Why are State fans the only people that I see constantly make references and jokes about the scandal? I mean, can you honestly blame me for the way I feel about State now? I'm tired of it.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure they get a kick out of it, too. But why don't I see them going on and on about it?
Probably because you aren't interacting with people from New Jersey that often.

01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
I'm not referring to the win. They have every right to talk about that; it was a beatdown. I'm referring to the academic scandal. I've never seen a group of people so obsessed with something. I wasn't going to say much whether we won or lost because I'd rather not get into a big trollfest (we've done enough of that in the past), but this is exactly the reason why I went from not giving a care about State (and as I mentioned before, actually rooting for them in some cases) to hating them nearly as much as I hate Duke. Speaking of our enemies in Durham... you know what I find interesting about this whole thing? As much as I hate Duke, I haven't heard hardly anything out of them regarding the scandal. Yeah, I'm sure they get a kick out of it, too. But why don't I see them going on and on about it? Why are State fans the only people that I see constantly make references and jokes about the scandal? I mean, can you honestly blame me for the way I feel about State now? I'm tired of it.
This is the most rational post I've ever seen in a UNC-State discussion on these boards, well done.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

UNC fans constantly belittle NCSU because it's a lesser institution (see: Cow College). It's no wonder why State fans get obsessive about UNC making a fool of themselves academically.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Moo U. Ring a bell? (pun intended).

Yes, that's clearly not attacking the institution.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Probably because you aren't interacting with people from New Jersey that often.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure they get a kick out of it, too. But why don't I see them going on and on about it? Why are State fans the only people that I see constantly make references and jokes about the scandal? I mean, can you honestly blame me for the way I feel about State now? I'm tired of it.
Two reasons:

1. Duke has been better at UNC (generally) in basketball since the scandal broke.
2 (the actual reason). The exact same thing that is happening to UNC right now happened to State in the early '90's under Jimmy V. This was back when State was a basketball power and Duke was milling around trying not to get blown out every time UNC and State met them. There was academic fraud in the basketball program, along with recruits getting preferential treatment.

The NCAA did their investigation and levied penalties on NC State which is similar to what happened at UNC. What is different is that the Board of Directors of the UNC system (filled with graduates of Chapel Hill) brought the hammer down on State, inflicting even harsher penalties after the NCAA concluded its investigation. The entire scandal signaled the end of Jimmy V. and NC State basketball as a national power.

Quote:
In January 1989, news broke about the looming publication of a book called “Personal Fouls” that promised to chronicle wrongdoing in Jim Valvano’s basketball program at N.C. State. The allegations on the book jacket hit like a bombshell.

Within days, the NCAA was looking into it. Within weeks, UNC system President C.D. Spangler Jr. launched what he termed “an impartial and complete investigation.”

A UNC system panel known as the Poole Commission brought in State Bureau of Investigation agents, interviewed 160 people and reviewed hundreds of documents during a six-month period. The probe set the stage for the resignation of NCSU’s chancellor, Bruce Poulton, and the departure of Valvano as athletics director. Valvano later stepped down as coach.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/...eps-hands.html

The Board of Governors forced out the Wolfpack's greatest Head Coach and turned them from a basketball power into a cesspool of mediocrity that they are only now recovering from.

At the time, NC State fans enjoyed the derision of UNC fans who were delighted to see Jimmy V. disgraced and NC State slipping from contender to bubble team to dud. All of the comments about UNC's so called "academic superiority" and their attitude stem from this scandal.

And now, the exact same thing is happening at UNC. Except this is worse, much worse. This is an entire system that has been corrupted, where the top men have willingly and knowingly flaunted the academic standards of the so called "flagship" school in order to get people who were most likely illiterate (Julius Peppers im rite?). We have an entire school that seems to have been dedicated to helping these less than college material candidates achieve "success" with classes that never met and tutors who did the entirety of classwork for these athletes.

So there is a great sense of schradenfraud from State fans who had to live through the exact same thing and endure the condescension of their neighbors down the road. There is a joy in seeing that the allegations that crushed NC State and ruined their basketball team for 20 years are paled in comparison to what has been (and still is being) uncovered at UNC. And there is resentment that the UNC Board of Governors, who took extra liabilities in the punishment of the Wolfpack (for less than this!) has so far done everything in its power to avoid any confrontation with its namesake school.

The hard work the Wolfpack faithful have put into uncovering the Bull**** Mountain at UNC has a history behind it. It makes sense once you understand it.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 01-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Predator 2 is the single greatest movie of all time!!! (if you were born in the 1980's and like Sci Fi)

Let me explain:

Filmed in the early 1990's? Check
Crazy looking alien monster? Check
Homages to other early Sci Fi movies? Check
Over the top action? Check
Just enough of a plausible "The Government was in on it" story line? Check
Pointless Nudity? Check
Classic 90's hilariously bad humor? Check
Making the film look futuristic, despite all the video consoles looking like Atari? Check
Danny Glover? Check
Bill Paxton? Check
Gary Busey? Check

I probably missed a few, but you get the point. It's movies like these that my mom used to ground me for sneaking out and watching (My cousin's dad used to take me and him to see a lot of movies like this (Demolition Man, Alien 3, Terminator 2, etc) I prolly shouldn't have seen back in the day)

Old
01-30-2013, 08:04 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Thank you, geez...

I feel like UNC fans went from drastically losing this troll war to winning with this one post...
Lolwut

Old
01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Predator 2 is the single greatest movie of all time!!! (if you were born in the 1980's and like Sci Fi)

Let me explain:

Pointless Nudity? Check
Making the film look futuristic, despite all the video consoles looking like Atari? Check
Danny Glover? Check
Bill Paxton? Check
Gary Busey? Check

I probably missed a few, but you get the point. It's movies like these that my mom used to ground me for sneaking out and watching (My cousin's dad used to take me and him to see a lot of movies like this (Demolition Man, Alien 3, Terminator 2, etc) I prolly shouldn't have seen back in the day)

It's about damn time someone pointed this out, as it truly is one of the greatest movies ever made. I probably watched this three times straight before returning the VHS rental, and then forgot about it for years until a couple of months ago. Everything -- the actors, the music, the hair -- a testament to those decadent 90s.

If you could have gotten Paul Verhoeven to direct this you could check every damn box on the checklist.

Speaking of Verhoeven, he did more to influence my early adulthood than possibly any other director with Robocop and Total Recall. Robocop was one of those 5th or 6th grade rainy day Saturday rentals we talked one of my friends' mom into, and she didn't pay any attention to us watching it. Bonus checks for the co-ed locker room showers, toxic waste melting faces, drug use and gratuitous ED-209 slaughter.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Yeah, but no Carl Weathers.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Gotta admit this is pretty funny...

Old
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Gotta admit this is pretty funny...

Old
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post

Let me explain:

Pointless Nudity? Check
Danny Glover? Check
Bill Paxton? Check
Gary Busey? Check

Not 100% on it as the #1, I was born in 1980.

Terminator 1 may edge it out.

Own everything from Rambo's, Terminators, Big Trouble in Little China, to every other action flick made in that era. And all Eastwood movies almost.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Not 100% on it as the #1, I was born in 1980.

Terminator 1 may edge it out.

Own everything from Rambo's, Terminators, Big Trouble in Little China, to every other action flick made in that era. And all Eastwood movies almost.
Win.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
Win.
It's hard to choose between Snake trying to Escape from LA or NY, or wonder what Jack Burton would do in Little China.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
dogbazinho

Quote:
It is sad to me that NCSU fans have to be the vocal moral authority in this situation. In an ideal world UNC alums, their administration, the media and the NCAA would have nipped this kind of thing in the bud. By not doing so they only encourage ridicule and continued public fraud and lack of responsibility.

As far as hearing from Duke fans, I rarely hear anything from them period.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Holy crap. I don't drink much coffee or any kind of caffeine really, but I was needing a fix real bad a bit over an hour ago. I went down to the commissary here in the hospital and the only thing they had cold was a sugar free Monster energy drink, and I shotgunned that bad boy.

I made a huge mistake.... I think I can see through time now.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
It's hard to choose between Snake trying to Escape from LA or NY, or wonder what Jack Burton would do in Little China.
Aw, yeah. Although I'm here to tell you that Snake escaping NY more or less had everything I could ever want in a movie.

Adrienne Barbeau, for one.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
Aw, yeah. Although I'm here to tell you that Snake escaping NY more or less had everything I could ever want in a movie.

Adrienne Barbeau, for one.
Highly over looked movie, it was on AMC yesterday, I had to watch. You can't not just skip over Escape from NY.

Closed Thread