HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 01:29 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Hopefully this isn't taken softly by the team. To overlook it is to condone it. I'd be bent outa shape if it was any team I coached. That being said we're taking the mother's voice as the only voice..which is wrong also. Both sides are needed to form a conclusion in my opinion. If in fact all the events happened as described..I would hope some team discipline is forthcoming.
Agreed

Like I said, I wouldnt want to be kid in the room when Mark comes to discuss his expectaions moving forward and disappointment in their behaviour.
In my best Hulk voice- Mark Maaaad!

Old
01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

comment from another patron of the hotel:

I was at the hotel that night for a getaway with my wife and did not hear anything out of the ordinary. We did notice the London Knights were there based on the bus in the parking lot. We did happen to overhear the conversation in the lobby between the team, the guest and hotel management the next morning. The guest's room was comped, they were offered gift certificates at Boston Pizza, a return stay and apparently offered to make arrangements to relocate her room to another spot in the hotel or another hotel. Not sure what was accepted, but it sounded like they really did try. On the hotel's side, you wouldn't expect there to be no chaperones for a group this young, and they typically have a strict code of conduct. Looks really bad on the Knights.

So who's story is true?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:

I was at the hotel that night for a getaway with my wife and did not hear anything out of the ordinary. We did notice the London Knights were there based on the bus in the parking lot. We did happen to overhear the conversation in the lobby between the team, the guest and hotel management the next morning. The guest's room was comped, they were offered gift certificates at Boston Pizza, a return stay and apparently offered to make arrangements to relocate her room to another spot in the hotel or another hotel. Not sure what was accepted, but it sounded like they really did try. On the hotel's side, you wouldn't expect there to be no chaperones for a group this young, and they typically have a strict code of conduct. Looks really bad on the Knights.

So who's story is true?
All the more reason to refrain from calling the participants punks and hoping it rains hell on everyone involved with the green and gold.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

So who's story is true?
I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle, but if the hotel management comped the offended guest's room, plus offered a lot of concessions, the players were not innocent.

Dale's comment in the article makes him sound like the ********* I believe him to be -- luckily for the Knights, other team officials said the right things.

I'm not at all surprised that a bunch of teenaged boys were rowdy on a road trip, but I am surprised that there was no supervision by the team. I'm guessing that's a mistake that won't be made again.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
bobber

Wonder if Branch will have to investigate this as it is basically another black eye to the league ala the Soo and Windsor. No doubt it happened if they apologized. It can only be blamed on management as I believe the captain was visiting his family. If the cats away the mice will play.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

So who's story is true?
Well, I guess it depends where that cpl's room was located in the hotel. It could have been at the far end and on another floor.
Why is the "guest" who was offered the freebies was still there at the hotel if they slept in for the fencing tourney?
Not sure if this report is bogus or not but...

Old
01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Wonder if Branch will have to investigate this as it is basically another black eye to the league ala the Soo and Windsor. No doubt it happened if they apologized. It can only be blamed on management as I believe the captain was visiting his family. If the cats away the mice will play.
Knights should have to pay a 1billion dollar fine, and the city of London lose their team. Have them relocate to Kingston so they can have two teams (or one might argue finally have one as of late). All Knights players should be forced to work the rest of their lives as hotel workers and the lady who complained should be made the Queen of Canada. Stupid enough for you yet?
It was a noise complaint! Read all accounts, get all the facts even the stories from onlookers doesn't quite add up....but this much is true, it was a noise complaint! Obviously you people have never stayed in a hotel where a hockey team, any type of team, convention was going on etc. More people = more noise.

"ala Soo and Windsor"? A sexual assault and recruiting violations are being compared to a noise complaint? Wow.
Wake me up when something worth discussing happens.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Only happens to TEAM, who spent money in contradication (cheating) to pre extablished league rules put in place to help ensure competitive balance. Gotcha
If true verbal harassements and intimidation of a woman and a young female teenager are far more reprehensible then 15,000 spent luring a player to the best jr league in the world
A revocation of a 1st rd pick would be just punishment,to send a message that this behaviour again if true never happens again
That being said I am against any revocations of 1st rd picks,fines only,but if u are going to do it to one team for spending a little scratch,then bad behaviour should be treated the same,if not worse

Old
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
If true verbal harassements and intimidation of a woman and a young female teenager are far more reprehensible then 15,000 spent luring a player to the best jr league in the world
A revocation of a 1st rd pick would be just punishment,to send a message that this behaviour again if true never happens again
That being said I am against any revocations of 1st rd picks,fines only,but if u are going to do it to one team for spending a little scratch,then bad behaviour should be treated the same,if not worse
I agree with you %100
Now, with that said, if there was actual harassments and intimidation etc as they claim, would a Knight or several Knights not be in handcuffs right now (the police were invloved and a report filed). As of now (and by all of the sketchy details) it was ONLY a noise complaint. Some of the details of what the lady said are very sketchy and don't make sense.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

So who's story is true?
When I read that comment, I thought it sounded like something that a staff member had written.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Yes they are worse Legend. And as you said IF true. But one matter affects the leagues competitive balance and the other is just either a noise complaint or verbal harrassment. Different situations, no? Cheating- affecting on ice events league wide the other doesnt, just a black eye on the organization and to a lesser extent the league.
One effects every team in the league and its integrity as far as competitive balance, which is neccessary for the league as a whole to survive, The other doesnt effect the other clubs in a similar way.
Did the Soo face sanctions/penalties for what happened there before the season started? Or was it handled in house as this will be which I totally agree, if kids were abusive, harrassing in nature they should be punished and by the law if deemed serious enough
Im sure there are hundreds of examples of players embarrasing themselves, their team and the league-- Take the SPits for example- should they be punished cause a kid or two goes to the local bar, drinks and gets in a fight? I know ur familiar with this happening in SPits town cause Im aware of it. So to follow your logic should Windsor have faced penalties cause a kid got drunk and was in public and also got into an altercation? Awaiting answer
Just dont see the comparison (cant connect the dots) Youll choose to see it otherwise Im sure

Old
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
aresknights

As I said before, story seems odd and IMO is not as bad as she claims and not as innocent as kids being kids.

I believe Mark will handle this and it wont be in the nicest, its OK, I forgive you guys kind a way.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yes they are worse Legend. And as you said IF true. But one matter affects the leagues competitive balance and the other is just either a noise complaint or verbal harrassment. Different situations, no? Cheating- affecting on ice events league wide the other doesnt, just a black eye on the organization and to a lesser extent the league.
One effects every team in the league and its integrity as far as competitive balance, which is neccessary for the league as a whole to survive, The other doesnt effect the other clubs in a similar way.
Did the Soo face sanctions/penalties for what happened there before the season started? Or was it handled in house as this will be (from a league stand point- not the law- which I totally agree, if kids were abusive, harrassing in nature they should be punished)
Im sure there are hundreds of examples of players embarrasing themselves, their team and the league-- Take the SPits for example- should they be punished cause a kid or two goes to the local bar, drinks and gets in a fight? I know ur familiar with this happening in SPits town cause Im aware of it. So to follow your logic should Windsor have faced penalties cause a kid got drunk and was in public and also got into an altercation? Awaiting answer
Just dont see the comparison (cant connect the dots) Youll choose to see it otherwise Im sure
If u want to talk of competetive balance then there should be profit sharing amongst the league teams the rich helping the poor,ie London and Peterborough,Petes cant afford the 7 gold edc packs the Knights can

Old
01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
aresknights

Ok ignore the points made and go to a diiferent arguement.

If thats what you want theLondon should host the Cup every 3 years (without a gauranteed spot) to ensure the most # avail to spread thru the league?

Im not a huge believer in total revenue sharing be it pros or amatuers. Yes TV money, advertising money ect.. should be shared but not an individual owners profits from running a quality franchise. Kitchener, Windsor, Londons et al shouldnt have to fund the teams who may or may not be doing all they can do to improve on ice product.
Did all the teams you want to revenue share with also pay the same amount for their franchises? It cost the Hunters and Spits ownership group more to buy in then some, no?

The point was one was cheating (maybe others did it but only one was caught so far) and the other is dumb ass behaviour. There are avenues for them to be punished- in house or by the law if laws were broken, but its not a punishable offence as far the OHL goes- just my opinion.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:16 PM
aresknights

Quote:
If u want to talk of competetive balance then there should be profit sharing amongst the league teams the rich helping the poor,ie London and Peterborough,Petes cant afford the 7 gold edc packs the Knights can
The Petes are a hot mess for many more "controlable" reasons than revenue sharing. Bad example. The management/ownership and inability to provide an atmosphere condusive to winning, developing and having a happy dressing room is where Id start. Money aint helping them. Its more about decision making and leadership from the top. The Spits, Kitchener nor London (or any1 else making$) shouldnt have to prop up ineffective, or just outright crappily run teams

Old
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
The Petes are a hot mess for many more "controlable" reasons than revenue sharing. Bad example. The management/ownership and inability to provide an atmosphere condusive to winning, developing and having a happy dressing room is where Id start. Money aint helping them. Its more about decision making and leadership from the top. The Spits, Kitchener nor London (or any1 else making$) shouldnt have to prop up ineffective, or just outright crappily run teams
While I agree that the Petes are poorly run,they did say in article that I read that they cant afford the edc packages I was speaking about I am not making that up,their budget dont allow it
The league will probably give them some of the 250,000 Windsor paid to prop them up, a form of revenue sharing right

Old
01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
aresknights

Quote:
While I agree that the Petes are poorly run,they did say in article that I read that they cant afford the edc packages I was speaking about I am not making that up,their budget dont allow it
The league will probably give them some of the 250,000 Windsor paid to prop them up, a form of revenue sharing right
They have no cash in part because they are running a gong show and lack reg season attendance and PO gate. You dont reward bad management by giving them freebies. It wouldnt solve the problems that exist. Its ther own doing

Old
01-29-2013, 05:30 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Knights should have to pay a 1billion dollar fine, and the city of London lose their team. Have them relocate to Kingston so they can have two teams (or one might argue finally have one as of late). All Knights players should be forced to work the rest of their lives as hotel workers and the lady who complained should be made the Queen of Canada. Stupid enough for you yet?
It was a noise complaint! Read all accounts, get all the facts even the stories from onlookers doesn't quite add up....but this much is true, it was a noise complaint! Obviously you people have never stayed in a hotel where a hockey team, any type of team, convention was going on etc. More people = more noise.

"ala Soo and Windsor"? A sexual assault and recruiting violations are being compared to a noise complaint? Wow.
Wake me up when something worth discussing happens.
I like how you are condoning noise complaints. What if I come to where you live with some friends and bang on your door and call you names and intimidate you for a few hours. Bet you won't be condoning the team then!

Old
01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Not surprised to see Hunter just slough it off. The Knights have all the leverage it's not like the hotel is going to turn away the money they get from a hotel stay. I can see Hunter is moulding terrific hockey players and well behaved individuals off the ice.

This is for the people that like to put Hunter on some pedestal of moral superiority.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
sbrug

It's funny to see the comments from Windsor and Kitchener fans acting like they're the benchmark for raising quality kids and getting their Dale Hunter is a drunk hate on. Not to mention, that idiot Bob Jones knocking a guy out at bar. Moral high ground? Comparing this to Windsor and Soo situations is ridiculous if you're bringing up the 3 from up north who ***** a girl or the hazing with Downie and Aliu. i didn't really think the hazing was that bad because if you've ever been a new guy on a team you've kinda experienced that to certain degrees. Other than possible harassment comments in this case, this story is hardly relevant.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
It's funny to see the comments from Windsor and Kitchener fans acting like they're the benchmark for raising quality kids and getting their Dale Hunter is a drunk hate on. Not to mention, that idiot Bob Jones knocking a guy out at bar. Moral high ground? Comparing this to Windsor and Soo situations is ridiculous if you're bringing up the 3 from up north who ***** a girl or the hazing with Downie and Aliu. i didn't really think the hazing was that bad because if you've ever been a new guy on a team you've kinda experienced that to certain degrees. Other than possible harassment comments in this case, this story is hardly relevant.
Yes there's nothing wrong with letting kids run wild in a hotel without adult supervision and those kids intimidating females. If Hunter had a pair he would have suspended those individuals involved in the incident but Hunter would never want to set an example it's all about wins and losses. Note that's ok because he's an owner but Hunter certainly does set a poor example.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:54 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

I'm not denying the boys were likely a bit rambunctious and I also am not condoning their behaviour..but the mother's story sounds a bit fabricated if you ask me. Fifteen minutes of fame anyone? If true...verbal harassment and physical intimidation would warrant charges...none were laid. I call poppycock.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 01-29-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
It's funny to see the comments from <snip>Kitchener fans acting like they're the benchmark for raising quality kids and getting their Dale Hunter is a drunk hate on.
Example please??

Old
01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I'm not denying the boys were likely a bit rambunctious and I also am not condoning their behaviour..but the mother's story sounds a bit fabricated if you ask me. Fifteen minutes of fame anyone? If true...verbal harassment and physical intimidation would warrant charges...none were laid. I call poppycock.
15 minutes of fame for what? The woman and her daughter were from Virginia what do they gain from writing this letter?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
15 minutes of fame for what? The woman and her daughter were from Virginia what do they gain from writing this letter?
As I read through the points from the mother..the story looks more and more fabricated. Not condoning the acts...but some of the facts don't add up.

Closed Thread