HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version II

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
-Gunnarson and CMac for Bernier and Loktionov

-Trade Grabo for picks/prospects

-Sign Bozak if he'll ink for 2.5 million or less. If not trade for what would most likely be a 2nd rounder.

-Try to sign Paul Ranger for next season

-Be stocked up on lots of picks/prospects to either draft or trade and have among the most cap space in the league in a league where a lot of teams will be needing to shed salary and their is lots of good 2nd liner types available (i.e. Weiss, Roy, Clowe, Horton).

Old
01-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Ricky Bobby

For building this team up to a very good team 2 years down the road I have the team broken down into 4 categories:

1. Keepers: Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly, JVR, 1st rounder this year. Kadri and Lupul are also in this category but towards the bottom end of this group. Kulemin is in this category but could be in category 2 if he wants a big pay cheque after next season.

2. Tradeable Assets with trade value that have a high cap hit relative to their importance to a team or soon will: Grabo, Bozak, Gunnarson, CMac, Liles, Franson (has some trade value but his salary shouldn't be high).

3. Players that won't be overly difficult to replace but serve a role: Frattin, Komarov, Brown, Holzer

4. Players most fans want rid of but have little to no trade value: Connolly, Komisarek, Steckel

Goaltending is still a crapshoot with this team and at the very least we need another young starter with high end potential to platoon with Reimer.

Category 2 is the group we need to try and move out well stocking up on cheap young players with high-end potential, picks in the first 3 rounds and cap space which we can use to replace some of these guys in free agency or when teams are desperately trying to move out salary this off-season.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Getting Dion Help

Anybody think it might be worth signing Robyn Regehr in the off-season as a UFA vet to play with Dion? Dion has never looked better than when he was playing with Regehr. I know Robyn has lost some of his ability, but arguably Dion is better as a defender now than in his rookie season. I think we could get him for 3 million/year, and he would give our super young D-core (especially with Reilly next year) some stability in its own zone.
Thoughts?

Edit: This is assuming that we trade or buy-out Komisarek or Liles (or both)

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke: 01-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Regehr would be nice but I don't think he'll make it to FA. Pegula has $ to blow, and he will try to keep his defense intact.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
416Leafer

Regeher, Scuderi, Smid, Rozsival, Lydman, etc are all veteran defensive defencemen that we could look to add in the offseason.

Personally I'd want to see Franson moved, a veteran UFA defensive guy signed, and likely a spot for Rielly as well. Backstrom would be another absolutely prime UFA target for us, would be a great 2-3 year solution to goaltending.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
Im a huge homer about richards since he was a hero for the rangers in the ohl but i would take him over ANY forward on this team (kessel would be a tossup and JVR has potential but whens the last time we`ve had a mike richards type player)..... hes having a bad year (its been what 5-6 games) the guy is a ****ing proven winner

The only thing that I see as a negative on Richards is hes a party boy (which probably why LA isnt the best place for him and tdot wouldnt be either)
if he keeps it up, doesn't matter if he's a proven winner, he would just be another player on the decline.

Last edited by Didact: 01-29-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Anybody think it might be worth signing Robyn Regehr in the off-season as a UFA vet to play with Dion? Dion has never looked better than when he was playing with Regehr. I know Robyn has lost some of his ability, but arguably Dion is better as a defender now than in his rookie season. I think we could get him for 3 million/year, and he would give our super young D-core (especially with Reilly next year) some stability in its own zone.
Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it was Regehr who bumped heads with Phaneuf during their time togeher in Calgary, which ultimately lead to Phaneuf being traded. Probably wouldn't be a great idea to re-unite them.

I agree though, we do need a veteran defensive rock to play with Dion. A guy like Willie Mitchell or Brooks Orpik would be great, but I doubt either are available.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was Regehr who bumped heads with Phaneuf during their time togeher in Calgary, which ultimately lead to Phaneuf being traded. Probably wouldn't be a great idea to re-unite them.

I agree though, we do need a veteran defensive rock to play with Dion. A guy like Willie Mitchell or Brooks Orpik would be great, but I doubt either are available.
Going by how our guys are playing, I think it's time Komisarek got a chance. He has looked good this year.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:46 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Going by how our guys are playing, I think it's time Komisarek got a chance. He has looked good this year.
Yep I agree, in a system thats less run and gun, and more structure Komi has looked a lot better. We are paying him all that money why not give him a chance.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Yep I agree, in a system thats less run and gun, and more structure Komi has looked a lot better. We are paying him all that money why not give him a chance.
Yep. Give Kostka the PP time with Phaneuf, because he does look good there. But Komisarek has looked good in ES time. I did notice he took a couple shifts with Dion near the end of the game.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Yep. Give Kostka the PP time with Phaneuf, because he does look good there. But Komisarek has looked good in ES time. I did notice he took a couple shifts with Dion near the end of the game.
Yeah he has, and I am sure on the PK it would work too. It might allow Komi to gain some confidence back and be more physical again. One thing this defense definitely needs more of.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:48 AM
leugangen

Quote:
I think Komisarek has been solid, but there is somethings suspect in pairing Gunnarsson with him. I feel like the Leafs are trying to raise his value.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:59 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I think Komisarek has been solid, but there is somethings suspect in pairing Gunnarsson with him. I feel like the Leafs are trying to raise his value.
You have to wonder when Gunnarsson and Komisarek are 1 and 2 on +/-, and Gunnarsson leads the defense in scoring.

Meanwhile Phaneuf and Kostka are getting over 5 minutes a game on the PP.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I thought Gunnarson looked bad when he played with Phaneuf. I haven't really been impressed yet. But his stats don't lie.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

I believe so as well.

But back then, it was Regehr's team with him as captain. If Regehr were to come to Toronto it would be Phaneuf as captain so possibly no issue? Also both players will have matured since then.

Could maybe be something to look into, but I get the feeling due to past history it is still going to be a no.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I thought Gunnarson looked bad when he played with Phaneuf. I haven't really been impressed yet. But his stats don't lie.

Kostka and Phaneuf are a combined -15, so maybe it wasn't Gunnarsson.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Backstrom is like 36yrs old. No problem with him for a few seasons. Does have soem injury and durability concerns.

I doubt Getzlaf leaves ANH. They are apparently talking often. We will see. BUt I think if he goes on the market with 20 games left to go some team close to the playoffs will outbid our offer by a wide margin. Namely by offering a 1st round pick.

3 years of Backstrom is far better than 10 years of Lu... He would stabilize the net and allow Reimer grow into being a NHL goalie instead of getting fed to the wolves!

The Ducks will be hard pressed to sign him unless they somehow come up with 50 million dollars all of a sudden.... I think they would look to add players with term and youth, plus our 2nd will be top 40 pick. combined with the players it makes sense for both teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I'd only give Backstrom 2 yrs, and 3-4 mil per season
He will get Thomas type money i assume... 2 years at 3/4 M will never land you backstrom

Quote:
I agree that trading our two best defensive forwards would have a ripple effect on the franchise, an absolutely terrible one.
meh, i like Grabo and Kuli but i like Getzlaf more! His back checking and D is also better that either Grabo or Kuli.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Thoughts?

Phanuef actually had his best years with Hamerlik.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Hey ya Leaf fans, hope you don't mind me posting here.

What can you tell me about Clarke MacArthur's game? Specifically, how is his puck protection? Board work(cycling etc.)? Defensive game? How is he in traffic? How gritty is he?

Thanks for any information guys

01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

What can you tell me about Clarke MacArthur's game? Specifically, how is his puck protection? Board work(cycling etc.)? Defensive game? How is he in traffic? How gritty is he?

MacA is a good 2nd/3rd line complimentary guy. Much like a PA Parenteau type player.

He's a scorer, but is a good playmaker as well, he's inconsistent though, and when he's off his game he's pretty bad. He usually skates into the offensive zone, curls back at the half boards and then looks for a pass. It works until the opposing team takes notice of it. Yet he keeps on doing it and its frustrating.

He's capable of 20-25 goals, and 20-30 assists (depending on teammates).

His D game is not to die for, but it's not bad. I'd call it average. He's pretty strong for how he looks and isn't afraid to go into corners. It's fun to watch when he snaps and starts KO'ing guys haha.

Everything about his game is pretty much average which makes him a 2nd/3rd liner. But he can definitely play at a higher level, as shown when he played with Grabo and Kule which made the best 2nd line in the Nhl 2 years ago.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

Everything you're asking about is pretty much average. He's your typical steady eddie type player who will put up 20 goals while being a semi-dependable defensive player. No big glaring holes in his game, but nothing really stands out as an elite skill either. He's not super gritty, but he finishes his checks. He seems to score a lot of his goals around the crease, so definitely not a perimeter player.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What's the story with Steckel? How badly is he struggling? He seemed an asset for the Capitals once upon a time, what happened?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What's the story with Steckel? How badly is he struggling? He seemed an asset for the Capitals once upon a time, what happened?
He got replaced by McClement.

Steckel hasn't been struggling. Just doesnt fit on our roster

Old
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
TheMadHatTrick

I really hope we can trade for a mid first-rounder, there are so many nice prospects available from 14-20, that would look great in our system. (Gauthier, Nurse, Zadorov, Erne, Ristolainen, Lazar, Mantha, Domi, Pulock, Hagg)

Who do we have that's worth at least a first rounder though? Grabo or Kulemin maybe. Kessel for sure. Not interested in trading JVR or Gardiner. Mac isn't worth a first rounder in this draft, but maybe a second.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
FabledKnight

Deadline
Tor - Nyquist and Det 1st rd pick. Retain some of Kessel's cap.
Det - Kessel

Tor - Berglund
STL - Colbourne and MacArthur

Amnesty Buyout Komi at Years end.

If Drafting Top Five, Draft Monahan. Trade a 2nd rd pick for Perry's Rights. Sign Ranger to a 1yr deal. Sign Perry to a 5yr 35-40mil.

Lupul - Berglund - Perry
JVR - Grabo - Frattin
Nyquist - Kadri - Komarov
___ - McClemment - Brown

Gunner - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Holzer - Fraser/Kotska

Closed Thread