HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

OT: Anything Goes 6: BBH/Culk Containment Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
If you plan on retiring before 55 then man have you got **** planned out.
Have always said 50. Would like to retire while I'm actually young enough to do something with my money and time... No point in waiting till I'm crippled and can't even go out and enjoy the money and free time.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:31 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I pay into SS twice with railroad retirement and have $100 taken out of every check for my 401k. I'm hoping to retire quite comfortably my sixtieth birthday.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I'll always work but I'd like to be self sustaining and working for myself at least by sometime in my 40's.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Oh, once you're in the place, it's awesome.

I just had a really hard time keeping the sad state of the rest of the island out of my head. Funny thing too, since the Bahamas by some measurements are one of the richest countries in the Caribbean, but it certainly didn't feel that way.

I'm not much of a "resort" guy, I guess.
I know exactly what you mean. We left the resort a couple times to eat elsewhere. The food pricing is insanity. You probably got the burger deal when you were there. But anyway, the Bahamians aren't living like the guests at the Atlantis to say the least. It's not great in some areas. However, it's not as bad as other places I've been such as Mexico and the Dominican.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 01-29-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'll always work but I'd like to be self sustaining and working for myself at least by sometime in my 40's.
I wouldn't be against owning a business after my 40s, but definitely do not plan on working for anyone after I reach 50. Would love to own some sort of a restaurant, but with a well paid and trusted GM to run things.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Would definitely like to be a snowbird if/when I retire. Somewhere in the Caribbean in the winter and Chicago in the summer. I don't want to deal with Chicago winters or sub-tropical summers.

Last edited by Ace Rothstein: 01-29-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Would definitely like to be a snowbird if/when I retire. Somewhere in the Caribbean in the winter and Chicago in the summer. I don't want to deal with Chicago winters or sub-tropical summers.
That's an interesting way to do it too, half and half. Maybe establish a business here, move but keep the one back home running and come back and run it in the summer.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
RayP

Would get awfully pricey if you owned property in both cities with taxes, landscaping, upkeep, etc. You could rent one out, and it might sound like a great idea at the time... but I don't think people realize how difficult that is to actually do, especially if you're going to be that far away.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:06 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Would get awfully pricey if you owned property in both cities with taxes, landscaping, upkeep, etc. You could rent one out, and it might sound like a great idea at the time... but I don't think people realize how difficult that is to actually do, especially if you're going to be that far away.
For sure. First thing first is establishing 1 good business, which obviously is a lot of work but after years of hard work and smart decisions, if you have that successful business and have it in a sustainable industry, then the doors open up to expand. But yeah, cart before the horse, it's just a fantasy right now. The work, money and ideas are going to be required.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
RayP

Quote:
For sure. First thing first is establishing 1 good business, which obviously is a lot of work but after years of hard work and smart decisions, if you have that successful business and have it in a sustainable industry, then the doors open up to expand. But yeah, cart before the horse, it's just a fantasy right now. The work, money and ideas are going to be required.
Just a fantasy indeed... although it's nice to picture.

**** it, I'll just start playing the lottery and hope to get lucky and avoid the hard work.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
If you have a condo in a vacation spot, buying a condo and renting it out through a management company isn't all that difficult. A lot of large condo buildings have management companies specifically for those types of situations. Getting people to go to the Caribbean in the summer might pose more of a problem.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
If you have a condo in a vacation spot, buying a condo and renting it out through a management company isn't all that difficult. A lot of large condo buildings have management companies specifically for those types of situations. Getting people to go to the Caribbean in the summer might pose more of a problem.
Homeaways are getting pretty big. You wouldn't be able to book the whole time you are in Chicago but maybe 4 or 5 people taking a week to 10 days each, that could be done with good marketing. A friend of my parents does this in a way. He bought apartment buildings here and now lives in Arizona but comes back in the summer and fixes the problems, signs new tenants, etc. That's all he does at this point.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Speaking of warm weather places, while my fiance and I are planning our wedding, we're also trying to figure out a honeymoon location.

I've always wanted to go to the Maldives but they are just too far away. I've also wanted to go to Brazil for a long time but my fiance is worried about traveling there. Anyone ever been to Brazil?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
RayP

Quote:
Speaking of warm weather places while my fiance and I are planning our wedding, we're also trying to figure out a honeymoon location.

I've always wanted to go to the Maldives but they are just too far away. I've also wanted to go to Brazil for a long time but my fiance is worried about traveling there. Anyone ever been to Brazil?
A friend of mine is an international flight attendant who has been literally everywhere. He personal favorite place, that she goes to several times a year, is São Paulo. I've never been myself, but have to constantly hear about it so ****ing much that I feel like I have a home there.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
A friend of mine is an international flight attendant who has been literally everywhere. He personal favorite place, that she goes to several times a year, is São Paulo. I've never been myself, but have to constantly hear about it so ****ing much that I feel like I have a home there.
Idk Rio seems a lot more fun, but I've never been to Brazil

Old
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
coldsteelonice84

Never been, did a final project on it in Spanish Composition in college though, lots of research and had to make a video on the place, looked like a lot of fun.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Yeah, it doesn't sound like there is much to do for a tourist in Sao Paulo. Rio definitely has much more going on in that regards. I'd also like to go to Iguazu Falls on the Brazil/Argentina border and possibly hit up a small beach town somewhere.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
TwistedWrister90

Ha Brazilians speak Portuguese

Old
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

That is true, the project was for each of us to do a different country though and it wasn't excluded. She gave me a C+ on it though only because it was too offensive becuase I bought a trascript of the E! Brooke Burke show on it and used part of it for my video. It wasn't that I used that video but that the women were all in bikinis, serving drinks and coffee. I thought it was interesting. She absolutely did not. I suspected maybe she was a lesbian and that was why but who knows, I mean, it was on E!, what's the big ****ing deal.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I pay into SS twice with railroad retirement and have $100 taken out of every check for my 401k. I'm hoping to retire quite comfortably my sixtieth birthday.
Good plan. I'm looking at mid 50's-60 to be able to retire, realistically. Plus even as an old geezer I can still scout hockey and make a little income doing that in addition to retirement funds/savings which was part of why I wanted to get into it in the first place. Plus doing instructing for what I do now for a living and even doing hockey camps and coaching, whatever, trying to keep as many irons in the fire for the future as I can.

To boot, my girl is in line to take over as owner of the family business so she's gonna have it pretty well set down the road, as well.

All of this is a "plan", of course. Lord knows anything can happen but it's setting up pretty well at this point.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:37 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't sound like there is much to do for a tourist in Sao Paulo. Rio definitely has much more going on in that regards. I'd also like to go to Iguazu Falls on the Brazil/Argentina border and possibly hit up a small beach town somewhere.
I think it depends what you're looking for in your trip. If you want the touristy thing, then yeah, Rio is definitely the spot to go.

Also, Sao Paulo is ****ing huge... You could live your whole life there and not run out of things to do.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Cullksinikers

The two random I've always wanted to go to were Rio and Stockholm.

Take a guess at what's in each.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
coldsteelonice84

Sports stadium? Estadio do Maracana is in Rio, holds well over 100,000 people. IIRC the 1950 World Cup was there and people were literally standing throughout most of the whole thing. And I believe that is still the largest attended team sports event.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The two random I've always wanted to go to were Rio and Stockholm.

Take a guess at what's in each.
A whole lotta tang

Old
01-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Sports stadium? Estadio do Maracana is in Rio, holds well over 100,000 people. IIRC the 1950 World Cup was there and people were literally standing throughout most of the whole thing. And I believe that is still the largest attended team sports event.
Either the 2014 World Cup or the 2016 Olympics. I want to be there.

Closed Thread