HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Skinner slew-foots Patrice Bergeron

Old
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Yeah, no.
Seems to me like you've never seen a Boston/Carolina game in the past few years. They've been incredibly entertaining.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
May not haver been a "slewfoot" but it was a little dirty, just like Skinner. He's lucky the officials saved him, Bergy would have dropped the little turd.

Memories are long, he will get his and have a real reason to cry.
Are you serious? I'm surprised Skinner is getting some strong reactions like this in the thread, but since I'm on the west coast I never really watch him play.

Pretty sure it was an accident, but I get Bergeron's response.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no

a member of the Bruins board posted this from Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-49187

"The end of the Carolina Hurricanes’ 5-3 loss to the Boston Bruins on Monday was eventful for two reasons. First, because Tyler Seguin scored the first empty net goal in his hockey career. Second, because Patrice Bergeron went nuts on Jeff Skinner, and Patrice Bergeron really never gets nuts.
What set him off? According to this highlight from NESN, the players were tangled up at the end of the game, and Bergeron was taken down; but was it via a Jeff Skinner slew-foot?

The essential highlight begins at around the 1:30 mark, as the two skated behind the net with seconds left in the game. Bergeron is clearly dropped to the ice by Skinner; the net obscures what exactly Skinner’s skate is doing on the play. Is his leg behind Bergeron’s as he’s forced the Bruins center to the ice?
The NHL tells Yahoo! Sports there are no hearings scheduled for today. Both players were given roughing minors with eight seconds left in the game.
This is becoming a patented move from Skinner, who was warned on a borderline slew-foot against Washington Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov last season. At the time, the NHL told CSN:
“The difference comes when there's an upper-body action (a yanking back with the arm or shoulder) to create a violent crash to the ice rather than just a trip.”
The incident caused Orlov to go nuts and shove a linesman.

Hockey Bieber has a way of getting the most frustration out of his foes, apparently."

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Bergeron's a puss for dropping the mitts after both linesman are between them.
Not even close Skinner's lucky the ref stepped in the way. Patrice would have destroyed him.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Krams
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
The worst thing that happens in this sequence is the commentating.
Pretty much.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...-all-the-time/

Quote:
“Skinner slew-foots all the time,” Marchand said Tuesday. “He’s always doing that to guys and I think Bergy just had enough of it. We even spoke about it before the game in the room. The guys were talking about how much he slew foots and you’ve got to watch out for him. You can see it’s very blatant. He kicks his legs out and throws him back.”
Marchand calling out another guy about slew-foots is about as rich as the time Peter Forsberg, of all people, criticized Sidney Crosby for diving.

Edit: just read the rest. Marchand gets on himself about slew-footing people in the past and says he hopes to have removed it from his game. Comments less hypocritical than initially believed.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
nmbr_24

I don't know if that is technically a slewfoot or not, but it is pretty clear that Skinner kicked the back of Bergeron's skate. Whether he did it on purpose or not I can't tell, but I can tell that he had enough awareness of the situation to fall down on purpose.

It looks dirty to me whatever you want to call it. Not suspension dirty, 2 minute penalty dirty.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
Are you serious? I'm surprised Skinner is getting some strong reactions like this in the thread, but since I'm on the west coast I never really watch him play.

Pretty sure it was an accident, but I get Bergeron's response.
He's getting a similar treatment that Crosby did in his first couple years. Just because he dives and mouths off from time to time, he gets a bad rap.

(Disclaimer: I'm not comparing Skinner to Crosby.)

Old
01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
zeykshade

"Skinner was falling."

The #1 reason I hate it when the bolts are playing the Canes is because E. Staal and Skinner fall down incredibly easily, except with Skinner you get to see him demonstrate his wonderful balance and hear the announcers incessantly talking about how hard he is to knock off his skates. Until he dives 3x and you end up a man down for 6minutes.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
He's getting a similar treatment that Crosby did in his first couple years. Just because he dives and mouths off from time to time, he gets a bad rap.

(Disclaimer: I'm not comparing Skinner to Crosby.)
When you dive and whine you deserve the bad rep for diving and whining.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Frankie Spankie

Eh, you can't really tell what's going on without any other camera angles. You could say it was a slew foot or it was an accident. But like Jack says, Bergeron isn't going to fight somebody just because, he had good reason to do so... He's one of the very few players in the league that I will always trust his actions over others.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...d-bergeron-hot
Quote:
It takes a lot for anything to bother Bergeron, but it was clearly upset with the incident and even threw a couple of punches while the linesmen tried to separate the two. Both players were given two minutes for roughing.

“It was just emotions, part of the game,” said a more subdued Bergeron after the team’s off-ice workouts Tuesday morning. “I just told him what I thought and that’s about it.

“That was the first time he did it [to me] but I thought it was uncalled for. The puck wasn’t even close.”

Bergeron said he’s not worried about whether or not Skinner should be fined or suspended for the play.

“No, I’m not going to get into that. I haven’t looked at replay, but I know he did it. At the same time, I don’t really care what happens. I don’t think anything will happen out of it.”

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Eh, you can't really tell what's going on without any other camera angles. You could say it was a slew foot or it was an accident. But like Jack says, Bergeron isn't going to fight somebody just because, he had good reason to do so... He's one of the very few players in the league that I will always trust his actions over others.
And as already said, just because Bergeron believes he was slewfoot doesn't mean he was actually slewfoot. Bergeron had every right to do what he did, because it was his belief that he was the victim of a dirty play. Whether that dirty play actually happened is up for debate.

And the fact that the Bruins apparently talked about it before the game means he could have simply had a preconcieved notion that Skinner would attempt to do so, when in fact, it may have been an accident.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
bleedgreen

well if they talked about it before the game, its pretty possible bergeron freaked as soon as he saw it was skinner and went after him assuming it was a slewfoot. watching the replay, it wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be. hardly pronounced, though another angle would help. the kid skates bowlegged and it looks like he just grabbed bergeron to get by and failed. didnt look like a pronounced slewfoot. not from that angle anyway.

i wouldnt call skinner an innocent guy at all. im a canes fan and assumed this would be blatant because the kid is immature and loves getting under peoples skin. just dont see it on this play, i think bergeron and the B's are going off reputation more than the actual play here.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
"I haven't looked at replay, but I know he did it."

wat.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...-all-the-time/

Marchand calling out another guy about slew-foots is about as rich as the time Peter Forsberg, of all people, criticized Sidney Crosby for diving.

Edit: just read the rest. Marchand gets on himself about slew-footing people in the past and says he hopes to have removed it from his game. Comments less hypocritical than initially believed.
Marchand's a little slimeball who's pandering to his teammates and his fanbase. Not that this means anything, beyond Carolina squashing him when they play next.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Looks like Skinner was trying to go between Patrice and Boychuk and Patrice was holding him up as Skinner was trying to get past and Skinners knee was in the back of Patrice's knee at the same time.

Looks incidental to me, and Patrice was hooking him as he was passing between Patrice and Boychuk.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:

wat.
If you ever stepped foot on the ice and were a proficient skater and have been slewfooted, you know when you're slewfooted.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
If players get suspended for hitting players in the head even if there is no injury, then this POS Skinner should get suspended. Slewfoots could cause head injuries, you know, and Skinner is definitely a repeat offender of them.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
The real question is: Who called Skinner the best skater in the league? To the point where it's "arguably" true?

Skinner's a great skater, but his mind works faster than his legs. He constantly tries moves that he either can't pull off in whatever situation he's in, or simply doesn't have the balance to pull off. That's where a lot of these "dive" comments come from. Skinner will try something ridiculous (usually to get around a defender), lose his balance, and suddenly he's "diving".

That's not to say Skinner hasn't dove before, but a lot of the time, it's just him being too small and too cocky to attempt some of the moves he does.
This is the most absolutely insane rationalization I've ever heard to defend a diver of skinner's magnitude.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Marchand comments on Skinners slew-foot

Quote:
“Skinner slew-foots all the time,” Marchand said Tuesday. “He’s always doing that to guys and I think Bergy just had enough of it. We even spoke about it before the game in the room. The guys were talking about how much he slew foots and you’ve got to watch out for him. You can see it’s very blatant. He kicks his legs out and throws him back.”
This made me laugh, maybe you should get yourself together before you comment on somebody else shet..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3181--nhl.html

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolah3i4 View Post
This made me laugh, maybe you should get yourself together before you comment on somebody else shet..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3181--nhl.html
It's like if Tara Reid came out and called Lindsay Lohan a skank.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
I respect Bergeron, but he got this one wrong. And no reason to believe he can't get it wrong. He's not supernatural, and bound to mistake once in a while.

Not a slew-foot at all.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:

wat.
... because it happened to him?

When you cook supper, do you know that you did it, or do you have to watch the replay?

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Bergeron got taken out in a manner he felt was a slew foot and reacted as such. Nothing wrong there.

The more suspendable act is using the NESN feed.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote