HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Westgarth

Old
01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

vCash: 500
Westgarth

Hi there,

I wanted to find out how Westgarth has been working out for you guys. I always like his role in LA and just wanted to see how he has been fitting in out there.

Thanks,

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Underutilized to say the least. For instance in the game against Tampa, Ryan Malone boarded Eric Staal. Now, you would think that someone would fight Malone the next time they had the chance. But no, the one guy who was brought in to add toughness (Westgarth) was put on the ice for one shift after the penalty.

He's on the 4th line averaging at most 3 mins per game. With Muller's stressing of using the whole line-up, it is really odd that he finds the need to dress Kevin when he uses him so little. If he's brought in to fight when things get chippy, why didn't he go after Malone. There is really no more important of a player than the captain (I know, debatable). Just so ... weird.

His play? Honestly, I haven't seen enough to make a decision yet. The only thing I've noticed is that he's slow, but that's to be expected.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
WWAD

He's had less than 10 minutes of total ice time so far this year.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 50
Seconding what novacane said. There have been at least two occasions where you would expect him to fight, he is put on the ice, and nothing. Strange because he even considers himself to fulfill that role, according to his twitter: "Right Wing Enforcement, Carolina Hurricanes." So I'm really not sure why he's not enforcing.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
In the second game against Buffalo, John Scott was trying to start a fight with him and he declined the offer. This was when the score was 0-0 and the Buffalo crowd had been taken out of the game. I'm glad he had the smarts to not get into a fight at that point and give them something to cheer about and perhaps rev up the sabres.

I am somewhat disappointed we haven't seen him throw down yet but I'll chalk it up to he's getting to know all his new teammates still so I'll give him a pass for now. If he doesn't start having some fights and sticking up for team mates by, say, the 8-10 game mark then I'm going to question what value he brings to this line up.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I don't even care if he fights or not -- I just don't see the point of dressing someone to play 2-3 minutes. Total waste of a spot.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
normalpsychology

Well I think he needs to be enforcing because we certainly didn't bring him here to do anything else. Anthony Stewart out produces him. Ideally we would have someone who can enforce and play a little, but if Westgarth isn't enforcing, as bad as Stewart is, we should have kept him.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Hmm, that turned out to be the case in LA. He didn't play as much in the playoffs, to be expected. He didn't lose often when he fought, but he lost bad to Scott (real bad) and later fought him again and it was more of a draw so I wouldn't expect him to want to go with him again.

He didn't take too many bonehead penalties like others.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Stahl2Stall
Drawing Frog 8

Honestly even when I see him on the ice I don't notice him or his line being bad, have to wonder why they don't get thrown out there more often for some forechecking.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Mr America

Doesn't seem like he can skate, or maybe he's being coached to not get too deep in either zone or something. IDK.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
Doesn't seem like he can skate, or maybe he's being coached to not get too deep in either zone or something. IDK.
He can't skate.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:40 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
It has to be a skating thing. Every practice I've been to this year he's been out there afterwords working with one of the coaches on that for a while after everyone else is in the locker room. Everything else about his game is fine for what he brings to the table.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Honestly even when I see him on the ice I don't notice him or his line being bad, have to wonder why they don't get thrown out there more often for some forechecking.
The only shifts he's gotten are offensive zone face-offs against the other team's 4th line. Hard to look bad in that scenario. If he was getting more ice time he'd be put in more difficult situations. Like when the 4th line was put out for a defensive zone draw against the Sabres' top line, J. Staal replaced Westgarth. Do you really want Westgarth in that situation or any situation where you have to rely on him to do anything?

He's a bad hockey player and that's why he doesn't get a lot of minutes.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Not enough minutes to go around this year.

Jussi is playing less than 16:00 a game. When you're trying to find shifts for a decent 3rd line, it's going to be hard to justify getting more minutes for the worst player in the lineup. Whether its Anthony Stewart or Westgarth, I think the result would be fairly similar.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Lot of the stuff in this thread is pretty much how I remember Westy in LA as well. Talked alot about his role as protector and how he takes pride in making sure the other team doesn't take advantage of his team mates, but to be honest, I never really saw the 'enforcement'.

It seemed liked with Manchester he was willing/able to perform that role. He looked like a crazy muther down there. Once he made it to the NHL, he seemed more tame.

Hopefully things go well for him in Carolina. No doubt he's a great locker room guy and he always seems positive, upbeat and supportive of his team.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Another game and it's someone else dropping the gloves to give us some momentum. Westgarth, what's your role on this team again?

Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
normalpsychology

One thing I've noticed he's really good at, possibly the best on the team, is throwing pucks over the glass to kids at the end of the pregame warm up

Old
01-29-2013, 04:56 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post
One thing I've noticed he's really good at, possibly the best on the team, is throwing pucks over the glass to kids at the end of the pregame warm up
Then he's certainly worth keeping around. Can't have our stars mingling with the fans. Westgarth is here to do the dirty work and its good to see him taking his role seriously.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:44 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Another game and it's someone else dropping the gloves to give us some momentum. Westgarth, what's your role on this team again?

He brings a few fans to each game....or family at least! Other than that, he keeps the bench warm for the top 2 lines.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
He brings a few fans to each game....or family at least! Other than that, he keeps the bench warm for the top 2 lines.
A couple kids got some pucks after a game.

Cowher ticket requests.

Last guy off ice.

Fist bumps when they're leaving the locker room after intermission.

Aside from that I guess I'm joining the camp that wonders what he's doing here for sure. At the STH deal last Sunday Forslund offered some line about, "He makes a difference just being on the bench," or some such about an implied psychological advantage Westgarth brings.

But what kind of a psychological advantage are you really feeling when you're exchanging a few bombs with Lucic and you catch #8 out of the corner of your eye sitting on the bench, tapping his stick on the boards?

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post

But what kind of a psychological advantage are you really feeling when you're exchanging a few bombs with Lucic and you catch #8 out of the corner of your eye sitting on the bench, tapping his stick on the boards?
"Hell yeah, get'em Timmy! *thank god I didn't have to do that **** tonight!!*

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
A couple kids got some pucks after a game.

Cowher ticket requests.

Last guy off ice.

Fist bumps when they're leaving the locker room after intermission.

Aside from that I guess I'm joining the camp that wonders what he's doing here for sure. At the STH deal last Sunday Forslund offered some line about, "He makes a difference just being on the bench," or some such about an implied psychological advantage Westgarth brings.

Forslund is so full of ****, he's approaching the Tripp Tracy level of completely bizarre player analysis. Why is it that 95% of the coverage of this team is by people who are employed by the team?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
Forslund is so full of ****, he's approaching the Tripp Tracy level of completely bizarre player analysis. Why is it that 95% of the coverage of this team is by people who are employed by the team?
Actually I agree, there aren't enough people, yet alone hockey educated people, that cover the team that don't tow the party line. Not necessarily to the same extent about Forslund, but he's NEVER going to publicly state what he's really thinking in many instances. Luke was as close as we got to that on a reliable basis, and even as good of a reporter as he was he wasn't going to really press that many buttons that have much of a chance to cut off his access to info. Basically Cory on Canes Country is the only other person I trust enough assessment wise to give a fair take on what's going on. And he's still on the rosey side of the spectrum.

Guerzy and myself were actually on the verge of starting something up a while back, but it never got off the ground. It was right after the move to Charlotte and we couldn't find anyone with good enough ability to cover the AHL angle of things there for us, as well as a couple other aspects. Shame too as other then that we had things rather nicely planned out for a rather unique take.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
Because our only local paper doesn't have the ba!!s to stand up to Jim Rutherford's bullying and empty threats. Or they don't have the talent.

But as for Westgarth, I'm going to defend Forslund here. Westgarth doesn't have the option to go with Lucic. If Westgarth wanted to dance last night, Scott Thornton would have obliged, but there's no way the Bruins are trading a key player like Lucic for Westgarth. Gleason knows this, Muller knows this, Westgarth knows this, hell, everybody knows this.

If the Canes want to take a shot at Lucic, it's going to have to be Gleason (or another high-minutes guy). Tim knew this and made the decision.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The team doesn't exactly hand out locker room passes to anyone who asks. In order to cover the team in any substantial way, you have to have access to the players (otherwise you're just a guy with an opinion) and that access is limited to team employees and a small number of official media outlets who are basically guests in the arena.

It's like this in almost every NHL city. The exceptions being places where the game is popular enough to spawn professional independent coverage.