HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Ryan Spooner Get the Third Line Duty Over Chris Bourque?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
No Spooner (yet).

Put Paille on the 3rd for a bit. Activate MacDermid for a few on 4th line duty. Especially with Sabres and Leafs coming up.
^^^ This. Completely on board with this line of reasoning.

Additionally, I don't think Bourque's been completely ineffective. He hasn't shown up on the score sheet and his play hasn't wowed anyone as of yet. I think Wally's suggestion is perfect given the upcoming schedule, but I'm not ready to dump Bourque just yet.

Deal Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Not sure I would like to see a 20 point player in Paille on the 3rd line either.

Kind of sad when you (had) your most success with Ryder there... yet there has been no replacement going on 2 seasons.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
So far Bourque is not costing the team games, so you can give him a long leash.

I expect at some point the team will cool off a bit, and if Bourque is still the weak link at that point they will do something to upgrade that position. Whether that will be Caron, or Sauve or Tardiff or Spooner I don't know, and if they don't find an answer there then they will liely trade for an answer
I want a solid NHL vet in that spot,Pandolpho should get a shot if kids not ready,or make a trade etc.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:40 PM
MioneRask134

Quote:
Spooner turns 21 tomorrow. Seguin turns 21 on Thursday. I am thinking there is gonna be quite the party somewhere
Don't forget his best friend Knight! I'm sure he's lighting up the candle for a nice quiet dinner with their dogs.

MioneRask134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Not sure I would like to see a 20 point player in Paille on the 3rd line either.

Kind of sad when you (had) your most success with Ryder there... yet there has been no replacement going on 2 seasons.
Salary cap casualty.

I'm sure they would have much rather had Ryder back over the like of Benoit Pouliot or Chris Bourque, but when you're up against the cap coming off of a cup win in one year, and unsure of the cap in a lock out year you don't have much choice.

Which begs the question, how long can a balanced attack based on three scoring lines be successful? I suppose that depends on the organization's ability to replenish the NHL roster with young, cheap talent. If they can't sill the holes, then you no longer have the deep team like the one that won a cup and you become very ordinary.

01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
No Spooner (yet).

Put Paille on the 3rd for a bit. Activate MacDermid for a few on 4th line duty. Especially with Sabres and Leafs coming up.
yup going to need the extra fighter for those games and it will keep MacDermid from sitting for to long and getting down on himself.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Keep in mind he doesn't get that much 5on5-time and he plays with Campbell and Thornton. I'd expect ~35-40 points from him on our 3rd line. In a full season of course.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Next season, absolutely.

A full year of Providence 1st line ice and PP time is what he needs. He'll be much better at the start of next season than he'd be now.

Bourque isn't spectacular but we don't have much of a better option.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Next season, absolutely.

A full year of Providence 1st line ice and PP time is what he needs. He'll be much better at the start of next season than he'd be now.

Bourque isn't spectacular but we don't have much of a better option.
This. If the Bruins really feel like they need an upgrade for Bourque, they'll fix it at the deadline for a big-bodied veteran who isn't being utilized properly (see: Brendan Morrow).

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
DaveFromNB

Why rush the kid? It certainly won't stop the negativity threads, all that will happen is that people will crap on someone else after the first period, because there always seems to need to be a scapegoat, Bourque admirably playing the role now. Spooner has almost exactly the same AHL production this season as Bourque, let him learn his trade to the point that he excels at the level before promoting him.

DaveFromNB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I want a solid NHL vet in that spot,Pandolpho should get a shot if kids not ready,or make a trade etc.
You are kidding right? Pandolfo is a fine guy to have around as a 14th or 15th forward. A veteran who can play in an absolute pinch, but no way he should be playing on this team and certainly never on a 3rd line.

We are talking about a guy who has 3 goals and 3 assists since January 1 2009, 92 games

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
You are kidding right? Pandolfo is a fine guy to have around as a 14th or 15th forward. A veteran who can play in an absolute pinch, but no way he should be playing on this team and certainly never on a 3rd line.

We are talking about a guy who has 3 goals and 3 assists since January 1 2009, 92 games
Remember coming out of the lockout when they had has beens and fringe NHLers like this in their top 6 forward group? We are so spoiled to be bickering about who should round out the 12th forward spot. Imagine if we had real holes in the line up? haha

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
SPLBRUIN

I would prefer Paille stay on the 4th line as we need his speed to keep it effective. Bourque is not the answer although he isn't terrible, he looks like one of those guys who can produce in the AHL, but just can't do in the bigs. Caron is my choice, if he falters then Spooner may get his chance but I'm guessing management would prefer he spend the year in Providence, he is likely to be ready next year.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Keep in mind he doesn't get that much 5on5-time and he plays with Campbell and Thornton. I'd expect ~35-40 points from him on our 3rd line. In a full season of course.
That's really wishful thinking. Paille doesn't have the finish to give that much production, nor would he be playing with skilled enough players to leech off to get that many points either.

As for Spooner, I'm not against bringing him up this year, but it's too soon to make the call. In another couple weeks we'll have a better idea on if Bourque is gonna work out or not.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
That's really wishful thinking. Paille doesn't have the finish to give that much production, nor would he be playing with skilled enough players to leech off to get that many points either.
Well, we will never know until he's got the chance.
I say, if you put up around 20 points next to Thornton and Campbell you can put up around 35 next the Kelly and especially Peverley. More TOI as well.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Did this thread have to happen on January 29?

I thought Spooner would get the spot coming in but.

I have been okay with what Bourque has done. Now if you ask me if I am looking for more skill and speed. I say most definitely.

I saw Bourque play when he was with Washington and I think one was against the Bruins.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Bourque hasn't looked bad, but i dont think he's looked particularly great. I second Wally's thoughts, with some divisional games coming up that will be physical, especially the buffalo game, i'd slot paille up with the third line, and play macdermid. Otherwise, with Caron skating with the boys now, if the third lines production stays status quo the next week or so, Jordan will get the nod.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
yup going to need the extra fighter for those games and it will keep MacDermid from sitting for to long and getting down on himself.
Exactly.
Just for the next few games give MacD some ice. Put Paille on 3 and see if his speed and forechecking can ignite the other 2. Give Bourque the opportunity to observe from above.

Just tweak right now. Try this first.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
No Spooner (yet).

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
If Spooner got the callup would you be willing to make a final evaluation after 5 games?
What's sad is that you had the best response to this thread and everyone either ignored it, or were ashamed at their answer.

If it turns out Bourque doesn't work there, then (as much as I don't MIND the idea of Paille on the third for a bit) I believe the answer is an external acquisition.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
jasonbaz77*

Spooner should be taking a spot at this point. I won't say which player, but just talent-wise he should be given a shot at the big club.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Couldn't this have gone in the already existing Bourque thread?

Seems to be the exact same argument except the flavor of the day is Spooner. Change the names and the conversation is the same

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:56 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
I believe so. Chris is not lighting the World on fire. He is playing decent,, but i believe Spooner would do a better job than him. Spooner Centering the Chris kelly, pervs line would be sick.

Spooner has a great hockey IQ mixed with great speed, good passer and great hockey vision. All the third line is missing is someone who can finish the puck and i believe spooner can do that. I would like too hear everyone's opinion on that even though if you disagree with me.
I'm no expert, and I only know RS by rep, but after 10 games, or 15, let's see what we have in young Mr. Bourque & evaluate.

I get the AHL stats, and was excited to see whether he might provide that X factor for the pp, but thus far...

GordonHowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Johnnyduke

I should get 3rd line duty over Chris Bourque, so, yes.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
No Spooner (yet).

I'd do this. The Sabres are going to ATTEMPT to thug it up, I want a little muscle up front for them.

I'm looking forward to the game. I hope Brave Steve gets thrown over the glass.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote