HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYR + LA 2013 Firsts

Old
01-29-2013, 04:20 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
NYR + LA 2013 Firsts

What position in the draft do you think Columbus could move up to with the Rangers and Kings 1st round picks if they wanted to?

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
I don't think it's possible to move up from both 1st and 2nd overall...

Jokes

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
What position in the draft do you think Columbus could move up to with the Rangers and Kings 1st round picks if they wanted to?
I think the Rangers pick will end up being 26-30, confident about that.

However the Kings pick could be anywhere at this point. They haven't looked great this year, and in a shortened season it only takes one really bad streak to be way out of it. Even if the Kings make the playoffs I don't think they reach the West Finals this year.

So I'll say Kings pick is 21 Overall, and NYR is 29th overall. Given how deep this draft is, I think you might find a few teams in the 10-15 range who would move down from where they are to get those two picks. I mean with the 10-15th your giving up a guy like Darnell Nurse or Max Domi who are both very good prospects, but with the 21st and 29th you could also get say Curtis Lazar and Morgan Klimchuck.

I think this year there will be more teams willing to trade down, then there will be teams looking to trade up, because from about the 10th-12th range in this draft right up to probably around 35th-40th the talent is pretty close. I can remember reading that there are something like 48 1st round talents in this draft according to one scout. That's some impressive depth.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
bobafettish*

so the almigthy rangers who are 2-3 and could have been 1-4 is gurranteed to be 26-30 but the kings could be anywhere, right........

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Djp

Assume columbus is in the top 5....

Rangers...;ole;y a playoff team so the pick would be in the 20s.

Kings could also be in the 20s but if they miss the playoffs they could be around 12-14. The Kings are in a Cup slump which is common. With a shortened season will they be able to rebound soon enough to make the playoffs---that is a fair question.

For the sake of argument lets say LA is aroun 18 and Rangers are around 26.

This is a deep draft so do you even want to move up?

You likely could find a team who had an off year this season who would trade their 8-12 pick for both LA and Rangers pick.

With the lottery system now they have a chance to go #1 and #2.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
so the almigthy rangers who are 2-3 and could have been 1-4 is gurranteed to be 26-30 but the kings could be anywhere, right........
Rangers roster is a lot more talented. They made the conference finals last year and rightfully so.

I wont say the Kings didn't deserve to win the cup, they played fantastic in the playoffs. But I don't think they were the best team in the West last year. They got real hot at the right time and it paid off bit time. I don't expect them to repeat this year, like I said.

And believe me, I would be 100% ok with being wrong. Kings are actually one of my favorite teams. Huge fan of Kopitar and Quick.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Rangers roster is a lot more talented. They made the conference finals last year and rightfully so.

I wont say the Kings didn't deserve to win the cup, they played fantastic in the playoffs. But I don't think they were the best team in the West last year. They got real hot at the right time and it paid off bit time. I don't expect them to repeat this year, like I said.

And believe me, I would be 100% ok with being wrong. Kings are actually one of my favorite teams. Huge fan of Kopitar and Quick.
kings right now sit 8th in the west and rangers sit 9th in the east and its the kings that are struggling This makes no sence. I agree the rangers have a talented lineup but your serverly underestimating the kings. Ill put our top 6 against anyone. Only reason ur lineup is is if u think offensive power is better then a defensive game. I ll take the stronger defense every time.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
blankall

No way to predict this until you know exactly who finishes where. The value of a first round pick varries considerably depending on when it is. Pics in the 25-30 range hold a fraction of the value top 5 picks go for. A 25-30 pick has more or less the same value as Columbus's 2nd overall. Two of them together won't get you a top 5 pick, and maybe not even top 10, depending on how deep the draft is.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
Dang if Columbus drafts in the top 5 they could get 4 Really good players.

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

The rangers suck though. They massively overachieved all of last year. Like i've been saying all off season, I'd be amazed if they are a 1-4 seed, and i don't expect them to make the 2nd round

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Dang if Columbus drafts in the top 5 they could get 4 Really good players.
It's Columbus, they'll find a way to ruin at least 2 of them.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Monarchist

This is from the NFL but is approximately correct for the NHL. The decline in value from pick to pick is greater in the NHL. In the NFL, players use draft position as leverage in contract negotiations, and aren't paid a basically fixed amount on an entry level contract.

Obviously it doesn't take into account the specific players in the draft year, such as the difference between Ovechkin and Malkin and that between Malkin and BarkerLadd/etc..

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:33 PM
tsujimoto74

People on this board seem to really overestimate what it actually costs to move up in the draft. For instance, the difference between 12 and 21 last year was a mid-2nd. If we assume both of those picks are somewhere between 15-30, the question really is just whether there's a team in the top 10 that would rather have 2 assets than one (maybe someone who's missing a 2nd rounder) or whose guy is gone by their pick. Because that is enough to get there for sure.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
The rangers suck though. They massively overachieved all of last year. Like i've been saying all off season, I'd be amazed if they are a 1-4 seed, and i don't expect them to make the 2nd round
I don't see how they overachieved. Their fenwick was near middle of the pack, but the goalie is the big part of the system.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
As a fan of both the Rangers and Kings, you couldn't be more wrong.

Start watching the Rangers a little more and don't let a 3-3 start fool you.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:55 PM
dan1el

They probably both end up low-mid twenties IMO, so they could be paired up and shipped for a 10-13 i think. I'd hold onto them though, this draft is gonna be really deep.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
As a fan of both the Rangers and Kings, you couldn't be more wrong.

Start watching the Rangers a little more and don't let a 3-3 start fool you.
ive watched all and only game they looked good was the toronto game.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
StrongIslanders90

deep draft... keep your 3 first and speed up the rebuild....unless you can reach for a player you feel is way up on your board

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
People on this board seem to really overestimate what it actually costs to move up in the draft. For instance, the difference between 12 and 21 last year was a mid-2nd. If we assume both of those picks are somewhere between 15-30, the question really is just whether there's a team in the top 10 that would rather have 2 assets than one (maybe someone who's missing a 2nd rounder) or whose guy is gone by their pick. Because that is enough to get there for sure.
yeah but the Islanders offered their whole draft to move up 1 spot last year

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:37 PM
CBJFan19*

i think you're more likley to see a package for one of those picks and columbus 2nd to move up then both picks, i think they also get at least 1 more first rounder maybe 2 in trades with pieces like Umberger and Brassard for teams looking for an extra umph that are contending but missing a offensive top 9 piece

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:10 PM
DoubleDose86

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
NHL gods will get together to hurt them, Kings vs Rangers Stanley Cup

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
2007 called; they want their condescending bull**** back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDose86 View Post
NHL gods will get together to hurt them, Kings vs Rangers Stanley Cup
This is, of course, inevitable. After all, similar madness was the sole basis on which anybody predicted LA winning the Cup last year at the start of the playoffs.

Frankly, I don't think we're likely to trade up at all. Don't see much point.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
ive watched all and only game they looked good was the toronto game.
They looked good Tonight and against Toronto and Boston the 2nd time.

Mainly, that post is directed at him calling them "overachievers" last year. Overachievers don't finish 1st in the conference. That's definitely not the case.

Not only that, but new season with a whole bunch of new faces and no training camp with a team whose coach is NOTORIOUS for running the toughest training camps in the NHL.

Worry about your team before you worry about the Rangers. We'll be fine as long as this Callahan injury isn't too severe and he's effective.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:24 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
the only reason for CLB to move up in the draft would be if they finished 3rd-5th overall, they might pair one of those picks to get into a position to draft Jones/Mackinnon, tho not sure why a team with 1st or 2nd overall would trade down.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
CandianKingsFan14

Quote:
I think the Rangers pick will end up being 26-30, confident about that.

However the Kings pick could be anywhere at this point. They haven't looked great this year, and in a shortened season it only takes one really bad streak to be way out of it. Even if the Kings make the playoffs I don't think they reach the West Finals this year.

So I'll say Kings pick is 21 Overall, and NYR is 29th overall. Given how deep this draft is, I think you might find a few teams in the 10-15 range who would move down from where they are to get those two picks. I mean with the 10-15th your giving up a guy like Darnell Nurse or Max Domi who are both very good prospects, but with the 21st and 29th you could also get say Curtis Lazar and Morgan Klimchuck.

I think this year there will be more teams willing to trade down, then there will be teams looking to trade up, because from about the 10th-12th range in this draft right up to probably around 35th-40th the talent is pretty close. I can remember reading that there are something like 48 1st round talents in this draft according to one scout. That's some impressive depth.
So far the Rangers havent been impressive either!!!

CandianKingsFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote