HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

vCash: 500
Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

I personally think he should be traded. Once Guddy comes of IR/Suspension he'll be in the line up and Ells will be out. If Florida trades him away they could gain forwards or draft picks and he would most likely gain more playing time

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 02-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Crosby87Bennett19fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerbyfan4 View Post
I personally think he should be traded. Once Guddy comes of IR/Suspension he'll be in the line up and Ells will be out. If Florida trades him away they could gain forwards or draft picks and he would most likely gain more playing time
Keaton, is that you?

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Hockeycast

I wouldn't mind trading him for the right price.However his salary isn't high so i wouldn't trade him unless we get something decent in return.
According to eliteprospects.com Shane Doan and Carey Price are his cousins, maybe trade him to Phoenix or Montreal
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9333

Hockeycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycast View Post
I wouldn't mind trading him for the right price.However his salary isn't high so i wouldn't trade him unless we get something decent in return.
According to eliteprospects.com Shane Doan and Carey Price are his cousins, maybe trade him to Phoenix or Montreal
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9333
Phoenix will have zero interest in him since they currently have Yandle, OEL, Klesla, Michalek, & Morris on their defense with top prospects like Rundblad, Gormley & Murphy coming along too. Ellerby would never get a chance there even if they move Yandle like has been rumored before (they would rather have Rundblad & Gormley in their lineup I'm sure).

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I'm not the biggest Ellerby fan, but I do see his upside. The problem is that he doesn't use it or have a good hockey sense. Sure, you can say he's still young and learning, but at some point that can't be an excuse anymore. He takes too many unnecessary penalties which cost the team an opposition goal and sometimes can be a crucial game changer. He also is too quick to get rid of the puck, which usually goes to the other team to create a turnover.

If he worked on those issues, I think he could turn into a decent defenseman. At this point, I would consider trading him because I have almost lost my patience with him to shine, but we probably wouldn't get much out of him.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Erick*

No, we'd get nothing for him.
We should trade Kulikov.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Ellerbyfan4 wants to trade Ellerby

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
I don't think we'd get anything other than late pick for him

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
harv3317

keep him, he's worth more than we'd get and can develop into a good d-man. he's got all the tools, just needs to get them all in order!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Keaton, is that you?

ATF on a roll.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I don't think we'd get anything other than late pick for him
we'd certainly get more than a late pick for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
keep him, he's worth more than we'd get and can develop into a good d-man. he's got all the tools, just needs to get them all in order!
i like ellerby tho i've given up being his defender here (many insist he's a bust). i think he's been so-so in the games i've seen this year. he looks like he's not completely comfortable. he's been yanked around so much, really never given time to relax and grow into the position like some of the others. any mistake and he's out of the lineup. not good for development.

i do think he's got the best first pass of any of D when he's playing with confidence. he's not there now but keep an eye on him if/when he settles down.

i would agree with the earlier post - trade kuli and keep keaton.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Montsy14

You would think they might want to keep him around to fill in for Captain "Maintenance Day"

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

He's a third pairing guy and has decent wheels

Probably wouldn't get a lot on the trade market.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Dr Beinfest

He's one of the very few players that has been better than they were last year so far this season. He's delivered some big hits and he's played with a smart head so far to the best of his abilities.

Keep him, no doubt. So hopefully Jovo gets injured and he can replace him.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Dr Beinfest

Err... hopefully Jovo gets a mild injury that still keeps him out of the lineup I mean. I do not wish harm upon him, I just think he sucks.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Ellerbyfan4 wants to trade Ellerby
I only want to trade him if he goes somewhere tht would be more beneficial to him. I love him with the panthers, only problem is he most likely won't get playing time when guddy comes back.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
Err... hopefully Jovo gets a mild injury that still keeps him out of the lineup I mean. I do not wish harm upon him, I just think he sucks.
Jovo does suck and he's not in his prime anymore

Old
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Ellerby's fine. Rather keep him than trade him for next to nothing.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Keaton, is that you?
Nope. I'm a fan, he DOES have some u know

Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Crosby87Bennett19fan
Ellerby fan too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
Ellerby's fine. Rather keep him than trade him for next to nothing.
True but I'm just thinking he could turn into a top 4 d-man IF he's given the chance to play consistently. And with Guddy on the mend and having Strachan up he will most likely get yanked sooner rather than later

Old
01-29-2013, 04:08 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I'm not the biggest Ellerby fan, but I do see his upside. The problem is that he doesn't use it or have a good hockey sense. Sure, you can say he's still young and learning, but at some point that can't be an excuse anymore. He takes too many unnecessary penalties which cost the team an opposition goal and sometimes can be a crucial game changer. He also is too quick to get rid of the puck, which usually goes to the other team to create a turnover.

If he worked on those issues, I think he could turn into a decent defenseman. At this point, I would consider trading him because I have almost lost my patience with him to shine, but we probably wouldn't get much out of him.
I agree. He hasn't seemed like himself this year. You can argue whether thats a good thing or not. He seems like he is trying to REPLACE Gudbs out on the ice by being overly physical and rough, too much if you ask me. He has taken too many stupid penalties, or escaped times where he should of been called for one.

I think he needs to keep this physical edge, but tone it down a tad and use his head more. He should know better than that. He doesn't need to go around policing guys and looking for fights, we have a player for that (I think ). But I do like his extra physical edge on the hitting side on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG
i like ellerby tho i've given up being his defender here (many insist he's a bust). i think he's been so-so in the games i've seen this year. he looks like he's not completely comfortable. he's been yanked around so much, really never given time to relax and grow into the position like some of the others. any mistake and he's out of the lineup. not good for development.

i do think he's got the best first pass of any of D when he's playing with confidence. he's not there now but keep an eye on him if/when he settles down.

i would agree with the earlier post - trade kuli and keep keaton.
I basically agree with almost everything you said. I hate how he goes in and out of the lineup all the time. He has been doing that for years now. While other players have a long leash on them when the make a mistake, it seems like somtimes Ellerby is on a choke-chain and gets yanked out of the lineup the next game every time he makes a mistake. To me, that is not fair.

The only thing I disagree with posters here is the trade Kuli remarks. I think the verdict is still out on him. He had some freaky injuries last year (lacerated leg), but I thought when he did play he was one of the better Dmen. I have a feeling he will start to round into better form as the season progresses.
Would really like to see him shoot more and be more physical.

For the record, I think trading both Ellerby & Kuli would be a poor decision.

Ellerby is worth more to this team than what he would fetch in the trade market. A great fill-in defenseman and would be valuable if someone else goes down with an injury later on in the year. (The way the injuries are going this seems likely.)

Kuli would also be a sell-low situation. Give him some more time, like I mentioned I think he will round into form.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:26 PM
PSLguy
#catsarecoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
No, we'd get nothing for him.
We should trade Kulikov.
I agree

PSLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:36 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 250000
Quote:
I only want to trade him if he goes somewhere tht would be more beneficial to him. I love him with the panthers, only problem is he most likely won't get playing time when guddy comes back.
That's what I was saying last year, more value back then too.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Erick*

For what it's worth, I don't think Ellerby has regressed at all this year. I've never really liked him, but I actually think he's gotten better. He's taken some dumb penalties, but I feel like he's made less mistakes and I like the occasionally physicality he plays with.

The team has played 5 games, and I honestly think he's been our best d-man in, at least, a couple of those games. Of course, that's just mainly because the rest of our D-core has sucked so much that somebody has to be the best of the worst.

Realistically speaking, Ellerby has minimal trade value. He's also, (imo anyway), better than Jovo, Kuba, and Weaver at this point. I'm getting kinda tired of Weaver. Liked him early on, but he really adds nothing now. His best year was with Garrison and I think it was more about Garrison than him. Weaver is useful for one thing (PK), and it's an area we suck in as a team. Kuba looks like the definition of meh at this point in his career. Also, before we crown Gudbranson, let's remember that he has a lot to prove, himself. I'm not sure it can be said that Gudbranson outplayed Ellerby last year.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
You would think they might want to keep him around to fill in for Captain "Maintenance Day"

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote