HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier was terrible but...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 04:52 PM
  #151
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
The fact that negotiations had been ongoing for a while likely means PG was asking for a 1st along with Bourque and the Flames didn't want to do it. After Cammy's comments PG probably figured Cammy's value was only going to go down so he made the trade. I don't consider that to be panicking nor do I think he was trying to save his job/season.

Personally I think we should've held on to Cammy longer and hoped for either a rebound in play or teams getting desperate at the deadline so that we could get that 1st but you make it seem like it was a dreadful deal which it wasn't. We got decent value, we weren't fleeced by any means.
Don't poke holes in his "argument" if he doesn't have Cammys awesomely high value all he has left is "bad GM, hurt our team"

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
  #152
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He should've shopped him around...
How do you know he didn't? He had been talking trade for months, in all that time you don't think he spoke with other teams as well? Unless you think Cammy's comments raised his trade value and suddenly teams that weren't interested before suddenly became interested.

And before you quote annoymous GMs saying they didn't know he was available, that means nothing. They could very easily have been on his no trade list, and/or had nothing of interest to us. Not too mention it was probably Burke, and I can understand not wanting to trade a guy like Cammy to T.O

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
  #153
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He should've shopped him around...
Short of being Pierre Gauthier himself, you have no clue that he didn't.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
  #154
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
i think wizneiski for a 2nd was a pretty underrated deal he made to...it was solid and it was exactly when we needed it. he would have been a great player if his salary demands weren;t through the roof.
He threw away a 2nd for nothing.

That is an underrated deal??

Oy, the undying love for a GM who led us down the path to less than mediocrity is still amazing to me.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:46 PM
  #155
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
He threw away a 2nd for nothing.

That is an underrated deal??

Oy, the undying love for a GM who led us down the path to less than mediocrity is still amazing to me.
It was a rental... What more do you want? Wiz reinvigorated the PP... And then ran off to a 6.5m deal in CBJ. Hardly throwing away a 2nd.

Would you say that Nashville threw away their picks for Gill and Kost?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
  #156
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It was a rental... What more do you want? Wiz reinvigorated the PP... And then ran off to a 6.5m deal in CBJ. Hardly throwing away a 2nd.

Would you say that Nashville threw away their picks for Gill and Kost?
What about the less than mediocrity part?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
  #157
Saintpatrick
Registered User
 
Saintpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
he wasn't as bad as his predecessor

losing beauchemin, hainsey, ribeiro, grabovski, mcdonagh for nothing!!!

but his trading of cammalleri during a game and the kaberle trade were brutal. + i think he could have gotten a lot more for halak.
Not to mention Koivu and Kovalev. I'd have to say Gainey was a worse GM than Gauthier and that's saying something because Gauthier was a bad GM as well. Seriously, Gainey's bad moves made a lasting impact and now a 3rd GM has to deal with his awful contracts. Thankfully only Gionta is left from that free agent rebuild. I'm looking forward to seeing MB make his mark on this mismanaged organization.

Saintpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
  #158
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
Not to mention Koivu and Kovalev. I'd have to say Gainey was a worse GM than Gauthier and that's saying something because Gauthier was a bad GM as well. Seriously, Gainey's bad moves made a lasting impact and now a 3rd GM has to deal with his awful contracts. Thankfully only Gionta is left from that free agent rebuild. I'm looking forward to seeing MB make his mark on this mismanaged organization.
I think both GMs (Gainey and Gauthier) made some dumb moves. However, it's easy to forget today, how bad the team was before Gainey stepped in.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
  #159
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Dude, I don't understand your love for this guy. He sucked. Just accept it.
The guy was applauding the Kaberle deal.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
  #160
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
The guy was applauding the Kaberle deal.
Looks like Bourque surpassed your boy Cammy tonight. :O

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
  #161
HabsKid
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It doesn't matter. I know his value last year was better than the crap we got for him.

I don't care how much you try to defend PG. He was a brutal GM. That's how he'll be remembered and it's well deserved. He sucked.
He just sucked! My heart broke more with every game. Last season, i sat right next to the Habs bench at a Panthers game and I have never seen a more depressed team. PK was the only one with any energy. And that was in March when they still had a chance at making the playoffs.

HabsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
  #162
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Short of being Pierre Gauthier himself, you have no clue that he didn't.
The fact that he was traded the day after IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME wasn't enough evidence for you that he didn't? You really have to contort reality to be able to believe this man.

And then you go and say the fans will leave if we lose...

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
  #163
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The fact that he was traded the day after IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME wasn't enough evidence for you that he didn't? You really have to contort reality to be able to believe this man.

And then you go and say the fans will leave if we lose...
How does one point link to the other? Arguing with you is like watching someone trying to herd cats.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
  #164
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
How does one point link to the other? Arguing with you is like watching someone trying to herd cats.
With suckers like him who will defend anything the team does, the fans won't ever go away no matter what mgmt does.

And dude, I'm serious... I really don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Gauthier. He was a failure pretty much across the board.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
  #165
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Looks like Bourque surpassed your boy Cammy tonight. :O
Terrible deal...Mr. Gauthier.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:23 PM
  #166
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
With suckers like him who will defend anything the team does, the fans won't ever go away no matter what mgmt does.

And dude, I'm serious... I really don't understand why you're so hellbent on defending Gauthier. He was a failure pretty much across the board.
I am serious too, you can't tell your Siamese apart from your Himalayans and the Calicos are all over the place!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
  #167
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I am serious too, you can't tell your Siamese apart from your Himalayans and the Calicos are all over the place!
Dude, seriously. Explain the love you have for this guy. I've never gotten a straight answer from you. What is it with you defending this guy? I'm genuinely curious and I'm sure a lot of others are too.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
  #168
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The fact that he was traded the day after IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME wasn't enough evidence for you that he didn't? You really have to contort reality to be able to believe this man.

And then you go and say the fans will leave if we lose...
So do you seriously believe that during the MONTHS that he was talking trade with Calgary he never spoke to any other teams about Cammy?

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
  #169
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Dude, seriously. Explain the love you have for this guy. I've never gotten a straight answer from you. What is it with you defending this guy? I'm genuinely curious and I'm sure a lot of others are too.
I have explained it about 50 times, it centres around common sense and analyzation of his body of work. The arguments I have heard on the contrary centre around "because I said so".

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
  #170
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I think both GMs (Gainey and Gauthier) made some dumb moves. However, it's easy to forget today, how bad the team was before Gainey stepped in.
What's easy to forget is that André Savard had already started to improve the team. What's also easy to forget is that it's André Savard who hired Timmins. A Timmins who was responsible for mostly all the good "moves" Gainey and Gauthier made.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:43 PM
  #171
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,311
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I have explained it about 50 times, it centres around common sense and analyzation of his body of work. The arguments I have heard on the contrary centre around "because I said so".
What in his decade long tenure have you analyzed to make it common sense to argue for him? Here's the complete transaction history when he was Habs Head of Pro Scouting/Assistant GM to when Gainey gave him the job.

http://www.gohabs.com/trades.htm


What exactly when you look at it big picture makes it common sense that there is some sort of amazing talent analyzer or GM.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:05 PM
  #172
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Yes, but the loss was well-compensated by the acquisition of Schneider mid-season in my opinion.



Pouliot was not the worst player in the NHL, I think he had our best goal scoring at even strength measured per playing time, and he was not going to cost 3 million. He signed for 1.1 million with Boston.
We would have had to offer him a minimum of 1.5 million to retain his rights, and he was simply not worth it. He was lazy and talentless. Boston certainly didn't waste anytime not qualifying that useless turd either. How many players have honestly had 2 teams refuse to qualify a player in as many years? Pouliot may very well be the only one. He's a terrible player.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
  #173
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Short of being Pierre Gauthier himself, you have no clue that he didn't.
he was shopping him for months, but the perfect deal just happened to surface during the 2nd intermission of the game the day after Cammalleri spoke out? You're going to tell me next that Roy was also being shopped and his tantrum had nothing to do with it?

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:37 PM
  #174
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What in his decade long tenure have you analyzed to make it common sense to argue for him? Here's the complete transaction history when he was Habs Head of Pro Scouting/Assistant GM to when Gainey gave him the job.

http://www.gohabs.com/trades.htm


What exactly when you look at it big picture makes it common sense that there is some sort of amazing talent analyzer or GM.
Until you can prove Gauthier was the driving force behind ANY of Gaineys moves I can't take them into account. Gainey had the last word and the fault lies with him ultimately. I don't see anyone laying blame for Kaberle or Bourque on PG's head of pro scouting so why all of a sudden is this special set of rules being used?

If you want to discuss the moves made during PG's tenure as GM so be it even though I have went over them ad nauseum.

I know the faithful are ever so desperate to explain Gaineys utter failure away on the nearest scapegoat but I don't buy it.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:56 PM
  #175
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I have explained it about 50 times, it centres around common sense and analyzation of his body of work. The arguments I have heard on the contrary centre around "because I said so".
You haven't explained it 50 times man. You haven't explained it at all. When you are challenged on this you come back with some snarky one liner.

What is it about Gauthier that causes you to defend him so vigorously? Please explain it to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What in his decade long tenure have you analyzed to make it common sense to argue for him? Here's the complete transaction history when he was Habs Head of Pro Scouting/Assistant GM to when Gainey gave him the job.

http://www.gohabs.com/trades.htm

What exactly when you look at it big picture makes it common sense that there is some sort of amazing talent analyzer or GM.
Yup, that's what I want to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So do you seriously believe that during the MONTHS that he was talking trade with Calgary he never spoke to any other teams about Cammy?
The guy was traded the following day after his mini rant (which he apologized for.) And the guy who he traded him for was suspended. There was no need to do it when he did.

And no, I don't think that he seriously shopped Cammy around and the fact that he was traded the next day and the circumstances of the trade (middle of the game and for a suspended player) are proof of this. It was a knee jerk reactionary trade designed to save face for PG and a desperate grab at possibly grabbing the final playoff spot. If you can't see this with the circumstances under which it was done, there's no convincing you. The facts speak for themselves.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 01-30-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.