HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Skinner slew-foots Patrice Bergeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
  #126
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
You mean the one time he's done it? He slewfoot Orlov and was rightly warned by the league not to do it again. But apparently, now teams are talking before the game about Skinner and are going to cry to the refs anytime Skinner comes near them.

Skinner = enforcer to the Nth degree
Was talking about Bergeron, and I guess I should've added a

Also if it's being mentioned in the team locker room before the game, I would guess it's something that he's attempted more than just once, like you claim.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
  #127
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
And there is the poster boy for the NHL folks...
When was this....like four years ago? Let it go.


Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-29-2013 at 05:32 PM.
fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
  #128
hopkinsj31
Registered User
 
hopkinsj31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Why is everyone assuming that Bergeron didn't make a mistake, especially since he couldn't see the play?
Because Patrice Bergeron gets the benefit of the doubt for being Patrice Bergeron.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
  #129
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Bergeron couldn't see what Skinner did to him.

So in Bergeron's mind, it felt like a slewfoot. When in fact Skinner fell down (from the contact FROM Bergeron), and their legs got tangled, taking Bergeron with him.

Why is everyone assuming that Bergeron didn't make a mistake, especially since he couldn't see the play?
Because Bergeron is classy and that trait alone gives him either A: omnipresence or B: Omniscience

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
  #130
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
Because Patrice Bergeron gets the benefit of the doubt for being Patrice Bergeron.
But he couldn't see the play. He didn't know whether it was intentional or not (and as most unbiased people who have seen the video noted, it wasn't).

All Bergeron knew was that he had his feet taken under him and that it was Skinner. He wrongly concluded that Skinner slewfooted him and went nuts. No big deal.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
  #131
Brock Anton
Deal with it.
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 12,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Because Bergeron is classy and that trait alone gives him either A: omnipresence or B: Omniscience
Add in the fact that Skinner apparently has a reputation for repeatedly slewfooting guys, even though he's done it once, and it's obvious who's in the right here.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
  #132
Szechwan
Plug Life.
 
Szechwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
From looks of the zoomed in replay, Skinner would have gone right by Bergeron if it weren't for PB hooking him. They got tangled up and both went down.

I like Bergeron but he can be a pretty big baby sometimes.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
  #133
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,752
vCash: 500
Looked reckless, but not malicious. However, Skinner is a dirty player with very little respect for others and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I don't know if that influenced Bergeron's response.

And for the people crying hypocrisy, that's weak. I don't like Marchand's diving or antics, but that doesn't make him wrong if he says that Skinner is known for slew-footing, kicking, etc. Marchand's independent behavior or an incident from Bergeron doesn't absolve or even ameliorate what Skinner does in any way. Maybe the fact that another dirty player is calling him out is an indicator of how bad it is.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:26 PM
  #134
jimmycarter
Registered User
 
jimmycarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
should have been a holding the stick penalty to bergeron. not skinners fault he got hauled down.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
  #135
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe
 
Ubi Sunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
It's tough to tell what happened on that play.
I can see why Bergeron thought that he was slew-footed.

I like that "Slew-footing is unacceptable" is one of the few universals on HFBoards.

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
  #136
RedBruin
Registered User
 
RedBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,244
vCash: 500
meh harmless
make sure you finish all your checks against him next time they play and be done with it

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
  #137
hopkinsj31
Registered User
 
hopkinsj31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
But he couldn't see the play. He didn't know whether it was intentional or not (and as most unbiased people who have seen the video noted, it wasn't).

All Bergeron knew was that he had his feet taken under him and that it was Skinner. He wrongly concluded that Skinner slewfooted him and went nuts. No big deal.
Whether or not it was a slewfoot doesn't change the fact that it was a dangerous play. From many of the comments in this thread I am convinced about 85% of this board doesn't know what a slewfoot is(which is why I won't waste my time pointing out why it was).

Look at it from Bergerons point of view, Skinners knee makes contact with the back of his leg(you can see this at 1:33 of the video in the OP). It's impossible to tell the force exerted here as the net/goalie is in the way. Skinner then places his left arm on Bergerons right arm/abdomen and you can see his foot dragging along the ice as his knee/thigh are still in contact with Bergerons right leg. So if your Patrice, your likely to conclude you've been slewfooted, and at that stage of the game, you have no problem sending a message to midget Bieber over there.

I don't buy that Skinner just fell down, and there was absolutely no intent. I also know you can't prove intent, and no one on this board(other than Bruins fans) are going to side with the Bruins on a dirty play against them.

I'm not calling for a suspension, just pointing out that Skinner isn't a victim here. One of these days he will do it to the wrong guy and the stripes won't be around to protect him.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
  #138
Lethargic
Misfits of the Metro
 
Lethargic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Misfit Toys
Country: Somalia
Posts: 8,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
Whether or not it was a slewfoot doesn't change the fact that it was a dangerous play. From many of the comments in this thread I am convinced about 85% of this board doesn't know what a slewfoot is(which is why I won't waste my time pointing out why it was).

Look at it from Bergerons point of view, Skinners knee makes contact with the back of his leg(you can see this at 1:33 of the video in the OP). It's impossible to tell the force exerted here as the net/goalie is in the way. Skinner then places his left arm on Bergerons right arm/abdomen and you can see his foot dragging along the ice as his knee/thigh are still in contact with Bergerons right leg. So if your Patrice, your likely to conclude you've been slewfooted, and at that stage of the game, you have no problem sending a message to midget Bieber over there.

I don't buy that Skinner just fell down, and there was absolutely no intent. I also know you can't prove intent, and no one on this board(other than Bruins fans) are going to side with the Bruins on a dirty play against them.

I'm not calling for a suspension, just pointing out that Skinner isn't a victim here. One of these days he will do it to the wrong guy and the stripes won't be around to protect him.
So ignoring PBs stick being parallel to Skinners body and Boychuck behind him and falling on top of them also had nothing at all to do with what happened then?

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
  #139
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,132
vCash: 500
Very obvious that it was an accident.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:22 PM
  #140
hopkinsj31
Registered User
 
hopkinsj31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
So ignoring PBs stick being parallel to Skinners body and Boychuck behind him and falling on top of them also had nothing at all to do with what happened then?
It was Seidenberg, and he didn't fall until Skinner hit the ice. So no, that had nothing at all to do with what happened. After looking again, Bergerons stick probably did have something to do with it as it appears Skinner grabs it as he his falling/diving.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
  #141
ORRMAN
Registered User
 
ORRMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Szechwan;58613503]From looks of the zoomed in replay, Skinner would have gone right by Bergeron if it weren't for PB hooking him. They got tangled up and both went down.

I like Bergeron but he can be a pretty big baby sometimes.[/QUOTE]

You lose all credibility with that statement.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
  #142
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
3/5 Classless Subbans













To NESN for that abomination of a call.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:45 PM
  #143
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
Whether or not it was a slewfoot doesn't change the fact that it was a dangerous play. From many of the comments in this thread I am convinced about 85% of this board doesn't know what a slewfoot is(which is why I won't waste my time pointing out why it was).
Get off your high horse and please explain why you think the vast majority of the people in this thread are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
Look at it from Bergerons point of view, Skinners knee makes contact with the back of his leg(you can see this at 1:33 of the video in the OP). It's impossible to tell the force exerted here as the net/goalie is in the way. Skinner then places his left arm on Bergerons right arm/abdomen and you can see his foot dragging along the ice as his knee/thigh are still in contact with Bergerons right leg. So if your Patrice, your likely to conclude you've been slewfooted, and at that stage of the game, you have no problem sending a message to midget Bieber over there.
I completely understand Bergeron thinking it was a slewfoot. It makes sense. He had his feet taken out under him, and Skinner (a player he was warned about) was involved. Of course he would jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
I don't buy that Skinner just fell down, and there was absolutely no intent. I also know you can't prove intent, and no one on this board(other than Bruins fans) are going to side with the Bruins on a dirty play against them.
Skinner didn't just fall down, he went down because he was being hooked/impeded/interfered with by Bergeron.

And yes, everyone disagrees with you because we all hate the Bruins. It has nothing to do with the fact that you may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
I'm not calling for a suspension, just pointing out that Skinner isn't a victim here. One of these days he will do it to the wrong guy and the stripes won't be around to protect him.
No one is saying Skinner is the victim: just that he didn't slewfoot Bergeron, and Bergeron jumped to conclusions.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
  #144
Steve Bennett*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Always thought Skinner brought a lot to the Canes and wished he was with the Canucks. Good guy with another good hockey move.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
  #145
hopkinsj31
Registered User
 
hopkinsj31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Get off your high horse and please explain why you think the vast majority of the people in this thread are wrong.
Because most people think that because there wasn't a soccer kick motion to the back Bergerons skate, that it isn't a slewfoot. Which is wrong, and is my point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
I completely understand Bergeron thinking it was a slewfoot. It makes sense. He had his feet taken out under him, and Skinner (a player he was warned about) was involved. Of course he would jump to conclusions.
Bergeron thinks it was a slewfoot because there was contact from Skinners leg, to the back of his and his upper body was pushed back. You know, it it has a bill and quacks, it's usually a duck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Skinner didn't just fall down, he went down because he was being hooked/impeded/interfered with by Bergeron.

And yes, everyone disagrees with you because we all hate the Bruins. It has nothing to do with the fact that you may be wrong.
If you think Skinner went down because Bergeron hooked him, then you should probably start looking in the mirror to find the person who is wrong.

I don't even think it is possible to hook someone, who is BEHIND you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
No one is saying Skinner is the victim: just that he didn't slewfoot Bergeron, and Bergeron jumped to conclusions.
Yeah, I'm not buying it.


Last edited by Hurt: 01-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.
hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
  #146
duckchobbins
Moderator
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,811
vCash: 500
Wasn't terrible, but certainly not completely innocent. Certainly no need for any further review though, and Bergeron handled the situation just fine on his own.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
  #147
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Skinner is attempting to go behind the net, as is Bergeron. Their legs make contact and they both go down. There's no slew-foot here
A rarity: a Leafs fan and a Habs fan on the same wave length.

Skinner was going after the puck.

A little pick by Bergeron, nothing to cry about.

They got tangled.

They fell.

Bergeron being a classy guy will surely tell the kid he was wrong.

Coming back to my first paragraph, a few posters whose only pleasure seemed to be nasty/snarky have either quit the Board or have gently been invited to leave/take a leave of absence.

It makes for a more civilized place.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
  #148
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 33,250
vCash: 500
It's crazy how many posts essentially say, "It must have happened because Bergeron thought so", even when the video evidence to the contrary is right in front of them.

I mean, no foul in viewing things from a home team point of view. But to literally say that a home team player CANNOT be wrong about something takes homerism to a different level.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:23 PM
  #149
hopkinsj31
Registered User
 
hopkinsj31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's crazy how many posts essentially say, "It must have happened because Bergeron thought so", even when the video evidence to the contrary is right in front of them.

I mean, no foul in viewing things from a home team point of view. But to literally say that a home team player CANNOT be wrong about something takes homerism to a different level.
Regardless of Bergerons reaction, I still think it was an intentional slewfoot for reasons ive already stated. I guess it is all about how you interpret the video.

I don't agree with you and many others in this thread. Doesn't mean I'm homer, it just means I interpret it differently and don't just buy into the convenient opinion of the masses that Skinner fell and accicentally pulled him down.


Last edited by hopkinsj31: 01-29-2013 at 08:53 PM.
hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
  #150
XX
SOS
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's crazy how many posts essentially say, "It must have happened because Bergeron thought so", even when the video evidence to the contrary is right in front of them.

I mean, no foul in viewing things from a home team point of view. But to literally say that a home team player CANNOT be wrong about something takes homerism to a different level.
Look, Skinner has been suspended before for dirty play. I know it's your duty as a fan to defend him, but him intentionally slew-footing guys is pretty believable.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.