HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Skinner slew-foots Patrice Bergeron

Old
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
You mean the one time he's done it? He slewfoot Orlov and was rightly warned by the league not to do it again. But apparently, now teams are talking before the game about Skinner and are going to cry to the refs anytime Skinner comes near them.

Skinner = enforcer to the Nth degree
Was talking about Bergeron, and I guess I should've added a

Also if it's being mentioned in the team locker room before the game, I would guess it's something that he's attempted more than just once, like you claim.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
And there is the poster boy for the NHL folks...
When was this....like four years ago? Let it go.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-29-2013 at 05:32 PM.
fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Why is everyone assuming that Bergeron didn't make a mistake, especially since he couldn't see the play?
Because Patrice Bergeron gets the benefit of the doubt for being Patrice Bergeron.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Bergeron couldn't see what Skinner did to him.

So in Bergeron's mind, it felt like a slewfoot. When in fact Skinner fell down (from the contact FROM Bergeron), and their legs got tangled, taking Bergeron with him.

Why is everyone assuming that Bergeron didn't make a mistake, especially since he couldn't see the play?
Because Bergeron is classy and that trait alone gives him either A: omnipresence or B: Omniscience

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
Because Patrice Bergeron gets the benefit of the doubt for being Patrice Bergeron.
But he couldn't see the play. He didn't know whether it was intentional or not (and as most unbiased people who have seen the video noted, it wasn't).

All Bergeron knew was that he had his feet taken under him and that it was Skinner. He wrongly concluded that Skinner slewfooted him and went nuts. No big deal.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Because Bergeron is classy and that trait alone gives him either A: omnipresence or B: Omniscience
Add in the fact that Skinner apparently has a reputation for repeatedly slewfooting guys, even though he's done it once, and it's obvious who's in the right here.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

From looks of the zoomed in replay, Skinner would have gone right by Bergeron if it weren't for PB hooking him. They got tangled up and both went down.

I like Bergeron but he can be a pretty big baby sometimes.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Looked reckless, but not malicious. However, Skinner is a dirty player with very little respect for others and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I don't know if that influenced Bergeron's response.

And for the people crying hypocrisy, that's weak. I don't like Marchand's diving or antics, but that doesn't make him wrong if he says that Skinner is known for slew-footing, kicking, etc. Marchand's independent behavior or an incident from Bergeron doesn't absolve or even ameliorate what Skinner does in any way. Maybe the fact that another dirty player is calling him out is an indicator of how bad it is.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:26 PM
jimmycarter

should have been a holding the stick penalty to bergeron. not skinners fault he got hauled down.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

It's tough to tell what happened on that play.
I can see why Bergeron thought that he was slew-footed.

I like that "Slew-footing is unacceptable" is one of the few universals on HFBoards.

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
RedBruin

meh harmless
make sure you finish all your checks against him next time they play and be done with it

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
But he couldn't see the play. He didn't know whether it was intentional or not (and as most unbiased people who have seen the video noted, it wasn't).

All Bergeron knew was that he had his feet taken under him and that it was Skinner. He wrongly concluded that Skinner slewfooted him and went nuts. No big deal.
Whether or not it was a slewfoot doesn't change the fact that it was a dangerous play. From many of the comments in this thread I am convinced about 85% of this board doesn't know what a slewfoot is(which is why I won't waste my time pointing out why it was).

Look at it from Bergerons point of view, Skinners knee makes contact with the back of his leg(you can see this at 1:33 of the video in the OP). It's impossible to tell the force exerted here as the net/goalie is in the way. Skinner then places his left arm on Bergerons right arm/abdomen and you can see his foot dragging along the ice as his knee/thigh are still in contact with Bergerons right leg. So if your Patrice, your likely to conclude you've been slewfooted, and at that stage of the game, you have no problem sending a message to midget Bieber over there.

I don't buy that Skinner just fell down, and there was absolutely no intent. I also know you can't prove intent, and no one on this board(other than Bruins fans) are going to side with the Bruins on a dirty play against them.

I'm not calling for a suspension, just pointing out that Skinner isn't a victim here. One of these days he will do it to the wrong guy and the stripes won't be around to protect him.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Lethargic
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Whether or not it was a slewfoot doesn't change the fact that it was a dangerous play. From many of the comments in this thread I am convinced about 85% of this board doesn't know what a slewfoot is(which is why I won't waste my time pointing out why it was).

Look at it from Bergerons point of view, Skinners knee makes contact with the back of his leg(you can see this at 1:33 of the video in the OP). It's impossible to tell the force exerted here as the net/goalie is in the way. Skinner then places his left arm on Bergerons right arm/abdomen and you can see his foot dragging along the ice as his knee/thigh are still in contact with Bergerons right leg. So if your Patrice, your likely to conclude you've been slewfooted, and at that stage of the game, you have no problem sending a message to midget Bieber over there.

I don't buy that Skinner just fell down, and there was absolutely no intent. I also know you can't prove intent, and no one on this board(other than Bruins fans) are going to side with the Bruins on a dirty play against them.

I'm not calling for a suspension, just pointing out that Skinner isn't a victim here. One of these days he will do it to the wrong guy and the stripes won't be around to protect him.
So ignoring PBs stick being parallel to Skinners body and Boychuck behind him and falling on top of them also had nothing at all to do with what happened then?

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Very obvious that it was an accident.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:22 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
So ignoring PBs stick being parallel to Skinners body and Boychuck behind him and falling on top of them also had nothing at all to do with what happened then?
It was Seidenberg, and he didn't fall until Skinner hit the ice. So no, that had nothing at all to do with what happened. After looking again, Bergerons stick probably did have something to do with it as it appears Skinner grabs it as he his falling/diving.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
ORRMAN

[QUOTE=Szechwan;58613503]From looks of the zoomed in replay, Skinner would have gone right by Bergeron if it weren't for PB hooking him. They got tangled up and both went down.

I like Bergeron but he can be a pretty big baby sometimes.[/QUOTE]

You lose all credibility with that statement.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
StringerBell

3/5 Classless Subbans

To NESN for that abomination of a call.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Get off your high horse and please explain why you think the vast majority of the people in this thread are wrong.

Quote:
I completely understand Bergeron thinking it was a slewfoot. It makes sense. He had his feet taken out under him, and Skinner (a player he was warned about) was involved. Of course he would jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Skinner didn't just fall down, he went down because he was being hooked/impeded/interfered with by Bergeron.

And yes, everyone disagrees with you because we all hate the Bruins. It has nothing to do with the fact that you may be wrong.

Quote:
No one is saying Skinner is the victim: just that he didn't slewfoot Bergeron, and Bergeron jumped to conclusions.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Steve Bennett*

Always thought Skinner brought a lot to the Canes and wished he was with the Canucks. Good guy with another good hockey move.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Get off your high horse and please explain why you think the vast majority of the people in this thread are wrong.
Because most people think that because there wasn't a soccer kick motion to the back Bergerons skate, that it isn't a slewfoot. Which is wrong, and is my point.

Quote:
I completely understand Bergeron thinking it was a slewfoot. It makes sense. He had his feet taken out under him, and Skinner (a player he was warned about) was involved. Of course he would jump to conclusions.
Bergeron thinks it was a slewfoot because there was contact from Skinners leg, to the back of his and his upper body was pushed back. You know, it it has a bill and quacks, it's usually a duck.

Quote:
Skinner didn't just fall down, he went down because he was being hooked/impeded/interfered with by Bergeron.

And yes, everyone disagrees with you because we all hate the Bruins. It has nothing to do with the fact that you may be wrong.
If you think Skinner went down because Bergeron hooked him, then you should probably start looking in the mirror to find the person who is wrong.

I don't even think it is possible to hook someone, who is BEHIND you.

Quote:
No one is saying Skinner is the victim: just that he didn't slewfoot Bergeron, and Bergeron jumped to conclusions.
Yeah, I'm not buying it.

Last edited by Hurt: 01-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
duckchobbins

Wasn't terrible, but certainly not completely innocent. Certainly no need for any further review though, and Bergeron handled the situation just fine on his own.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Skinner is attempting to go behind the net, as is Bergeron. Their legs make contact and they both go down. There's no slew-foot here
A rarity: a Leafs fan and a Habs fan on the same wave length.

Skinner was going after the puck.

A little pick by Bergeron, nothing to cry about.

They got tangled.

They fell.

Bergeron being a classy guy will surely tell the kid he was wrong.

Coming back to my first paragraph, a few posters whose only pleasure seemed to be nasty/snarky have either quit the Board or have gently been invited to leave/take a leave of absence.

It makes for a more civilized place.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It's crazy how many posts essentially say, "It must have happened because Bergeron thought so", even when the video evidence to the contrary is right in front of them.

I mean, no foul in viewing things from a home team point of view. But to literally say that a home team player CANNOT be wrong about something takes homerism to a different level.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:23 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's crazy how many posts essentially say, "It must have happened because Bergeron thought so", even when the video evidence to the contrary is right in front of them.

I mean, no foul in viewing things from a home team point of view. But to literally say that a home team player CANNOT be wrong about something takes homerism to a different level.
Regardless of Bergerons reaction, I still think it was an intentional slewfoot for reasons ive already stated. I guess it is all about how you interpret the video.

I don't agree with you and many others in this thread. Doesn't mean I'm homer, it just means I interpret it differently and don't just buy into the convenient opinion of the masses that Skinner fell and accicentally pulled him down.

Last edited by hopkinsj31: 01-29-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Look, Skinner has been suspended before for dirty play. I know it's your duty as a fan to defend him, but him intentionally slew-footing guys is pretty believable.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote