HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you like to see Ullstrom on the first line?

View Poll Results: Should the Isles try Ullstrom on the first line?
Yes 34 38.64%
No 37 42.05%
Maybe 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-29-2013, 05:56 AM
ichabod13

vCash: 500
IF capuano does put him on tavares line, i want him left there for 5 games. ullstrom never leaves tavares side. none of this "one shift here, one shift there" crap. capuano has to either commit to the experiment or not even consider it.
if they cant find a chemistry after 5 games and a few practice sessions, then its just not meant to be. oh well, capuano tried and it didnt work......no harm no foul.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:10 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
I voted no. To small a sample size thus far and too early to place that much pressure on him.

Would like to see Martin on the first line for a spell or two. Think Tavares needs the protection and Martin doesn't fear crashing the net. Okposo is probably more comfortable in 2nd.
This is the key to me. The kid has been great so far, but he still has less than a year of experience. Let him stay where he has had success for 5 games. Reward his play thus far with some power play time, but I would leave him where he is even strength.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

i voted yes, i think he has an offensive upside, but id be weary about throwing him out there 1st line, because i think his inexperience will leave him exposed.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It has been suggested by some, so I thought a poll would be a good start. I am evenly divided over it.

And yes I left an L out of his name.
I would like to see Boyes on the first line first to see how things workout. I love Ulmstrom and he belongs on the second line for sure.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
i voted yes, i think he has an offensive upside, but id be weary about throwing him out there 1st line, because i think his inexperience will leave him exposed.
I think he'll be fine. As long as Tavares is getting double or triple teamed, he should have just as much room as he has now playing with Aucoin, if not more. The only difference will be going up against top-pairing defenders, instead of the 2nd or 3rd pairing guys that he's facing now.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
NineHoleGoal

Ullstrom - I agree with those that say let him stay where he is. He obviously has chemistry with his 3rd line-mates so let them provide that badly needed secondary scoring. PP time is warranted though.

Boyes - Worst forward in top 9. Despite a 3 pt game this guy does nothing to impress me. He loses the puck every time he touches it. He looks like Kvasha in the offensive zone. His passes suck, he never wins battles in the corners or anywhere along the boards. His vision sucks, and he's not using his body to finish checks. He has no business playing with Tavares or being on the PP.

When Bailey comes back let him fill the wing spot on the 2nd line and then if KO isn't working out switch him and Bailey and keep Boyes on the 4th line with Cizikas centering the line and bench Reasoner. Perfect world of course...

NineHoleGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I'd rather see Matt Martin than Ullstrom on the top line. Keep Ullstrom and Aucoin together, and put a grinder like Martin on with Tavares.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Tavaresfan91

https://twitter.com/nyislanders/stat...95233732354049

Isles twitter saying hamonic skates with team this morning and his status for tonight is tba

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'd rather see Matt Martin than Ullstrom on the top line. Keep Ullstrom and Aucoin together, and put a grinder like Martin on with Tavares.
I happen to think Martin would be really good on the first line. Maybe a bit slow but he'd really be an asset in the board work where JT generates so much offense from. Martin has really good work ethic, he's strong on the puck, can force turnovers. He's been really good on the PK even though I used to cringe to see him out there because he's slow (though his skating is much better compared to his first year)

Okposo is a very good player, he could help another line. I'm not sure KO helps JT-MM very much, I think those two would do just as well without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineHoleGoal View Post
Boyes - Worst forward in top 9. Despite a 3 pt game this guy does nothing to impress me. He loses the puck every time he touches it. He looks like Kvasha in the offensive zone. His passes suck, he never wins battles in the corners or anywhere along the boards. His vision sucks, and he's not using his body to finish checks. He has no business playing with Tavares or being on the PP.

When Bailey comes back let him fill the wing spot on the 2nd line and then if KO isn't working out switch him and Bailey and keep Boyes on the 4th line with Cizikas centering the line and bench Reasoner. Perfect world of course...
Boyes needs to show more or he's done, this will be his last contract (well, with the Isles, anyway)

I think his vision & passing is better than what we've seen so far, he seems really out of sync with his linemates. But he's not doing himself any favours with his work ethic. He tends to float (ala Kvasha) at times - not good.

Problem is, he still thinks he's a 40 goal scorer. But he's not. So he's got to start player harder and showing some value when he isn't scoring. Aucoin is a similar player but he seems to "want it" so much more - though both are limited players. Boyes could be the next PAP OR the next Cheechoo, Jeff O'Neill, Petr Prucha, etc.

I'd like to see Boyes on the top line because I think as an offense-first guy, he may mesh very well with JT-MM, not unlike Parenteau who was also offense-first. But if it doesn't work, Boyes isn't much use in the lineup, might rather have a guy like Cizikas, moving Bailey to the top line.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Aucoin is a 4C. He has 4 points in 5 games. It's a good start, but if we expect this guy to be responsible for our secondary scoring this year we are in big trouble. If Ullstrom gets promoted to the top line, that means we can use any combo of Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Nielsen, Boyes and even Niederreiter to find a secondary scoring line.

Our only chance of being a competitive team is if we get that top line playing like the dominant line we've been hoping for. Keith Aucoin's success shouldn't prevent us from trying to accomplish that.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:25 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Kind of off topic but this is a first line question...kind of. All ive heard is how the flames missed the boat by not blowing up there team 2 years ago...is there anyway jerome iginla would be available for JT s wing? If you who would you give you to see that type of first line Moulson-JT-Iginla? What wld the chances be

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Kind of off topic but this is a first line question...kind of. All ive heard is how the flames missed the boat by not blowing up there team 2 years ago...is there anyway jerome iginla would be available for JT s wing? If you who would you give you to see that type of first line Moulson-JT-Iginla? What wld the chances be
I think he would be available later in the year if Calgary feels they are out of it. Way too early though for them to deal him.

That said, no idea what it would take. If the Isles are interested that would mean they are in the playoff picture, which would make the 1st round pick easier to trade. I'd assume it would cost that as well as a solid prospect. Not a Strome or Reinhart per say, but a Matt Donovan or Scott Mayfield IMO.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Aucoin is a 4C. He has 4 points in 5 games. It's a good start, but if we expect this guy to be responsible for our secondary scoring this year we are in big trouble. If Ullstrom gets promoted to the top line, that means we can use any combo of Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Nielsen, Boyes and even Niederreiter to find a secondary scoring line.

Our only chance of being a competitive team is if we get that top line playing like the dominant line we've been hoping for. Keith Aucoin's success shouldn't prevent us from trying to accomplish that.
But as of right now, Keith Aucoin is our secondary scoring. He has noticeable chemistry with Ullstrom, it would be pointless to pull them away from that until the chemistry is gone. So what I'm saying is if we're talking about right now, Ullstrom and Aucoin shouldn't be separated. If we're talking long term, or a point later in the season (like 10+ games away), then Ullstrom on the 1st line could be an experiment.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Bailey and Joensuu return. I'd like to see Jesse on the 3rd line, but finding a spot for Bailey will be difficult.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
But as of right now, Keith Aucoin is our secondary scoring. He has noticeable chemistry with Ullstrom, it would be pointless to pull them away from that until the chemistry is gone. So what I'm saying is if we're talking about right now, Ullstrom and Aucoin shouldn't be separated. If we're talking long term, or a point later in the season (like 10+ games away), then Ullstrom on the 1st line could be an experiment.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Bailey and Joensuu return. I'd like to see Jesse on the 3rd line, but finding a spot for Bailey will be difficult.
I have a feeling Bailey will come back as a center. At this point it probably makes the most sense, at least until Strome gets here next year or if they feel Nelson is eventually ready this season. I expect Okposo to be reunited with Bailey, which would open a spot on the Tavares line. I don't want to see Boyes there. I know Tavares can score with whoever is on his line, but I'd rather put someone there that can help him excell instead of someone who will just be dragged along by JT.

Again, I think the Isles' best bet for a balanced lineup would be something like this(once Bailey and Joensuu are back):

Moulson - Tavares - Ullstrom
Niederreiter - Bailey - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Boyes/Joensuu
Martin - Aucoin - McDonald
x - Boyes/Joensuu, Boulton
Send down Cizikas. Waive or send down Reasoner.

Aucoin can be that effective 4C that we haven't had for a while. We've had a black hole of a 4th line for a while now. We would now have what could be a dominant 1st line if Ullstrom clicks with Tavares, and a 2A and 2B 2nd and 3rd line. 2A would be that big, physical scoring line. 2B would be that quality skating, defensively responsible scoring line. On the 4th, Aucoin continues to play with McDonald, only now they'll have Martin instead of Ullstrom. They will still have that solid forcheck, however they lose some skill but gain some physicality.

The defense will most likely be a weakness no matter what, but at least we'd be able to roll out all 4 lines with some confidence.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Moulson - Tavares - Ullstrom
Niederreiter - Bailey - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Boyes/Joensuu
Martin - Aucoin - McDonald
x - Boyes/Joensuu, Boulton
Send down Cizikas. Waive or send down Reasoner.
I would absolutely hate to see that second line. Unproven-Inconsistent-Inconsistent. My biggest problem with how Bailey has been handled is that he has never really gotten significant time playing on a line with a proven scorer (mostly because we haven't had many). I don't want the same mistake to be made with Nino.

I would much rather see Nino or Bailey get a shot with the top line, the other with Frans. Given the quality of players coming up, Bailey is at a make or break point. Nino needs confidence at the NHL level after last year. Put them in the best position to succeed.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
twentytwo

I say keep Ullstrom where he is.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I would absolutely hate to see that second line. Unproven-Inconsistent-Inconsistent. My biggest problem with how Bailey has been handled is that he has never really gotten significant time playing on a line with a proven scorer (mostly because we haven't had many). I don't want the same mistake to be made with Nino.

I would much rather see Nino or Bailey get a shot with the top line, the other with Frans. Given the quality of players coming up, Bailey is at a make or break point. Nino needs confidence at the NHL level after last year. Put them in the best position to succeed.
I honestly think that would be the best situation for Nino to succeed, outside of playing with Tavares. An unproven-inconsistent-inconsistent is better than an inconsistent(Grabner)-proven to not be a 2nd liner(Nielsen)-proven to be a bad top-6 player(Boyes).

Not to mention the line that no one wants to break up is made up of an unknown-a proven 4th liner-and a career AHLer. It makes the idea of Nino-Bailey-Okposo not look so bad.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:26 PM
A Pointed Stick
Sell? Of Course!

Quote:

I'd argue if there is any chance Ullstrom can ignite the John Tavares powder keg you take that chance and never look back. Our secondary scoring is just that, secondary. It will never be even a short term answer for the Wins column. Getting Tavares on one of his historic tears where you see the line average 6 to 8 points a game? Yes indeed, I take a chance on losing some minor chemistry he has with Aucoin in a heart beat for that to happen.

Also, you need to find something to light a fire under Kyle's butt, a motivator to help him find his A game again. I know I would take it personally if some rookie upstart took my place from me on the first line. It might motivate me to play with some necessary jam the next few games to show them how wrong it was.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:41 PM
startainfection

no but i would like to see what a ullstrom - tavares - aucoin pp unit would be capable of

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Islanders1932

I just don't think Ullstrom is the type of player to compliment JTs line. Look at all the goals Ullstrom has scored. Almost all of them are him driving down the wing and shooting for the goal. JT likes to cycle around the zone until he gets himself into a good area to shoot or sees someone in a good area to make a pass.

They play different styles and I can't see that working out very well.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
startainfection

Quote:

aucoin is actually an ahl all-star center, that is a big difference than a number 4 center

aucoin works well on the isles because he is playing behind a more defensive minded center in nielsen

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I just don't think Ullstrom is the type of player to compliment JTs line. Look at all the goals Ullstrom has scored. Almost all of them are him driving down the wing and shooting for the goal. JT likes to cycle around the zone until he gets himself into a good area to shoot or sees someone in a good area to make a pass.

They play different styles and I can't see that working out very well.
Just because they score goals in different manners don't mean they don't compliment each other, or 'go together', quite the contrary.

In addition, I don't know if you noticed but the line that has cycled the puck the best this season is the Ullstrom-Aucoin-MacDonald line. and Ullstrom is the main reason why, with very good corner work and the ability to make clean accurate passes through traffic from either wall (left side or right).

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Fine can he please play more than 10 minutes a night? Watching Frans Nielson and Brad Boyes on the PP while Ullstrom is a spectator is madness.
I agree on Boyes, but still puzzled on how many Islander fans just don't notice all the things Frans does. He is very calm, collected, and has great vision for the power play. No way does he get taken off that unit and I believe he's even on the first unit deservedly. Please start watching everything he does for just one game and you will see how it's guys like that who ground a line. The Devils have won numerous cups with teams full of Frans Nielsen....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:22 PM
InformTheMasses

I LOVE Frans Nielsen. ALWAYS Have., Terrific hockey player, and he can dish the puck. But he should not be on the 1st PP unit. Sorry, no way no how. It's amusing how many future line-ups just toss him aside and plug in Strome and Nelson as if Nielsen is an afterthought. Nielsen will be around for as long as he wants to be and is an excellent center. Just not on the main PP unit.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I LOVE Frans Nielsen. ALWAYS Have., Terrific hockey player, and he can dish the puck. But he should not be on the 1st PP unit. Sorry, no way no how. It's amusing how many future line-ups just toss him aside and plug in Strome and Nelson as if Nielsen is an afterthought. Nielsen will be around for as long as he wants to be and is an excellent center. Just not on the main PP unit.
Boy Nielsen looks awesome tonight on the Powerplay........ Where's the Crow, I'm starving!