HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
I've been impressed with Schroeder, he's easily able to keep up with the speed of the game with his footspeed and reaction time, over the years we've seen dozens of players called up and almost all have struggled with this.

He's been pretty good on face-offs from what I can tell, and he seems to be a good passer as well, something we sorely need. Puck battles and defensive play I haven't paid much attention.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
To me the most encouraging sign about Jordan Schroeder in the past 3 games was that his size was not an issue at all imo. San Jose, Ducks and LA are up there as 3 of the most physical and big teams in the NHL and he held his own fine.

There was a play last night where he went to the boards and squeezed out an opponent using strength and positioning, and I was immediately impressed with his balance, strength and hockey IQ.

Schroeder doesn't hurt you defensively. In fact, he's proving to be an asset there. He's outperforming guys like Malhotra and Lapierre defensively... Think about that.

Now it's on the offense. If he's able to create and chip in now and again, as he gets more comfortable, well then I'd say the Canucks no longer need a 3C option in trade.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:56 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
There was a play last night where he went to the boards and squeezed out an opponent using strength and positioning, and I was immediately impressed with his balance, strength and hockey IQ.

Schroeder doesn't hurt you defensively. In fact, he's proving to be an asset there. He's outperforming guys like Malhotra and Lapierre defensively... Think about that.

Now it's on the offense. If he's able to create and chip in now and again, as he gets more comfortable, well then I'd say the Canucks no longer need a 3C option in trade.
I have been impressed with Weise too, but imagine if they had a Higgins or a Booth there instead of him?

I'd expect more production from JS, when the RW on his line isn't a black hole offensively.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
An inspiration to short people everywhere. And his presence makes a fully-healthy Canucks lineup so much more deadly.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Weise
Malhotra

omg hottttttt
I would love to see Booth on a line with Schroeder and MayRay, he brings size to a line that desperate needs it and can keep up with the two speedsters. Also I think they need a shoot-first player out there

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
asdfman
Weeeee

This guy is miles ahead of Hodgson in defensive responsibility, faceoffs and speed; a much better fit as the 3C once Kesler is back

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
blendini

Jordon has been a pleasant surprise so far. He has proven that he can be an NHL player. He's even played well against teams with much bigger and stronger players. He will develop better and quicker if he can stay with the Nucks all season.

blendini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
I'm loving the youth infusion this year. Hopefully Jensen comes in next season and we can prep for a solid line in the future of Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:26 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I'm loving the youth infusion this year. Hopefully Jensen comes in next season and we can prep for a solid line in the future of Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian
quite the change from our

Schroeder - Hodgson - Rodin model we had going.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Scouter

vCash: 154
I disagree about Hodgson vs. Schroeder and their offensive numbers, Schroeder is clearly the more offensive player, so he will probably put up better stats.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I would love to see Booth on a line with Schroeder and MayRay, he brings size to a line that desperate needs it and can keep up with the two speedsters. Also I think they need a shoot-first player out there
I like the sound of that too. Booth will be most successful with two guys that are good with the puck on their stick, because he isn't. What he can do is get to the net, shoot and forecheck, which would be a real asset to that line.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Land O Lakes

Who was Booth playing with in Florida when he had his 60 point season? Maybe Schroeder can help reignite that offensive prowess.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
Who was Booth playing with in Florida when he had his 60 point season? Maybe Schroeder can help reignite that offensive prowess.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time_...24+25+26+27+28

Mostly with Weiss and Zednik.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Honestly, meh.

Schroeder is reliable in his own zone, makes smart plays, and is a good skater.

But he's also 5'9" and nothing about his offensive game is particularly exciting. He has soft hands and can make some nice passes, but his vision is only a little above average at best, IMO. He also struggles to get his shot past the D-men because as DtS mentioned, he has no fancy stickhandling moves to seperate himself. Also while he is a good skater he is not exactly explosive out there. I don't think I've seen him burn a single D-man with his speed yet.

He is a decent stop gap, but he needs to improve his offensive game by leaps and bounds if he can be a top six forward on a good NHL team. Otherwise he's just a guy.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
He is a decent stop gap, but he needs to improve his offensive game by leaps and bounds if he can be a top six forward on a good NHL team. Otherwise he's just a guy.
People were saying the same thing about Kassian last season... and Hodgson his rookie season... it takes time.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Honestly, meh.

But he's also 5'9" and nothing about his offensive game is particularly exciting. He has soft hands and can make some nice passes, but his vision is only a little above average at best, IMO. He also struggles to get his shot past the D-men because as DtS mentioned, he has no fancy stickhandling moves to seperate himself. Also while he is a good skater he is not exactly explosive out there. I don't think I've seen him burn a single D-man with his speed yet.

Are you implying that Schroeder isn't going to be the next Patty Kane?!

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Jordan Schroeder
Center
Born Sep 29 1990 -- Prior Lake, MN
[22 yrs. ago]

Jay Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:46 PM
keslerburrows

Yeah I like how our youth is slowing coming in to play..

2010/11
Hodgson as a rookie: Bad.
2011/12
Hodgson as a sophomore: Good.

2011/12
Kassian as a rookie: Bad.
2012/13
Kassian as a sophomore: Good.

2012/13
Schroeder as rookie: Solid
2013/14
Schroeder as a sophomore:

2013/14
Jensen as a rookie:
2014/15
Jensen as a sophomore:

2014/15
Gaunce as a rookie:
2015/16
Gaunce as a sophomore:

Steady flow of offensive prospect and I expect the Hodgson/Kassian pattern to continue.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Wizeman*

Craig Mc Tavish really did a number on Schroeders head.

He is twice the player he used to be in junior. Hes rarely out of position and is always anticipating the play going back to his end so he wont get caught.

Once he starts to put his brains into his natural play making ability at the NHL level, hes going to be a great pro. I am very impressed with his work ethic.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Honestly, meh.

Sorry I'll reserve judgement on his offensive prowess in the show, when his right winger is somebody a little bit above Dale Weise's level.

I understand tempered expectations, its fine to temper them....I still think Jordan is getting the feel for playing in the NHL. He's 4 games into his career, and I bet you he is very fearful of making a mistake and getting planted on the bench (as that is generally what happens to rookies here who aren't efficient with the puck).

I'd take it as very good sign he is already getting 14-15 minutes a night. I think he has more creativity than we've seen, and I also feel he'll start shooting once he feels a bit more comfortable with his spot in the lineup.

That's just me, though.

I also wonder how you're quantifying his vision at 'only a little above average'....I'll firmly disagree. His vision is good.

A prospect like Kadri has good vision, but he isn't efficient with the puck....I'll take JS every time.

Kid can also shoot it a ton, just doesn't do it....needs to start becoming a high volume shot taker, and only give Raymond the puck in shooting positions, because like Kesler learned....he won't get it back.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
People were saying the same thing about Kassian last season... and Hodgson his rookie season... it takes time.
Maybe other people were.

I saw Kassian's potential quite clearly. I think he has incredible potential but will take several seasons to become truly consistent, if he ever gets there.

Hodgson's strengths and weaknesses were obvious from draft day. If he learns to skate adequately, he's a second line center. If by some miracle his skating actually improved to above average, he might have first line upside, but that was about one in a million shot of that happening. The vision, puck skills and shot were never questioned by anyone.

I just do not see those same tools with Schroeder, even when in the AHL. I'm not writing off that he can't show more offensive flare in the future. But I'm not expecting it either.

He still looks like a useful piece, especially for this season with the awful center depth. Malhotra will likely never be the same stud elite third liner he was in his first Canuck season. Lapierre looks like he's feeling the same effect every damn hockey player feels when they decide to add "20 pounds of muscle" in the offseason and insist they are still just as quick. Hopefully Lappy can lose the weight by playoff time.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Maybe other people were.

I saw Kassian's potential quite clearly. I think he has incredible potential but will take several seasons to become truly consistent, if he ever gets there.

Hodgson's strengths and weaknesses were obvious from draft day. If he learns to skate adequately, he's a second line center. If by some miracle his skating actually improved to above average, he might have first line upside, but that was about one in a million shot of that happening. The vision, puck skills and shot were never questioned by anyone.

I just do not see those same tools with Schroeder, even when in the AHL. I'm not writing off that he can't show more offensive flare in the future. But I'm not expecting it either.

He still looks like a useful piece, especially for this season with the awful center depth. Malhotra will likely never be the same stud elite third liner he was in his first Canuck season. Lapierre looks like he's feeling the same effect every damn hockey player feels when they decide to add "20 pounds of muscle" in the offseason and insist they are still just as quick. Hopefully Lappy can lose the weight by playoff time.
Hodgson is a 1st line center now

When was the vision, puck skills, and shot of Jordan Schroeder ever questioned? Don't believe they have, they just didn't come with the hype of young Cody.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Sorry I'll reserve judgement on his offensive prowess in the show, when his right winger is somebody a little bit above Dale Weise's level.

I understand tempered expectations, its fine to temper them....I still think Jordan is getting the feel for playing in the NHL. He's 4 games into his career, and I bet you he is very fearful of making a mistake and getting planted on the bench (as that is generally what happens to rookies here who aren't efficient with the puck).

I'd take it as very good sign he is already getting 14-15 minutes a night. I think he has more creativity than we've seen, and I also feel he'll start shooting once he feels a bit more comfortable with his spot in the lineup.

That's just me, though.

I also wonder how you're quantifying his vision at 'only a little above average'....I'll firmly disagree. His vision is good.

A prospect like Kadri has good vision, but he isn't efficient with the puck....I'll take JS every time.

Kid can also shoot it a ton, just doesn't do it....needs to start becoming a high volume shot taker, and only give Raymond the puck in shooting positions, because like Kesler learned....he won't get it back.
He played the same way in the AHL though. I disagree about his vision. Like I said, his hands are very soft and he makes some nifty cross ice passes off the rush. But in all the games I've watched of him (not many, maybe a dozen) I've never seen him make a pass that truly impressed me as far as reading the play goes.

I have seen barely anything of Kadri, so I can't argue that point at all.

I just think Canucks fans are almost too easily impressed with young players at this point because we want to have our own young stars to fawn over like most every other NHL team has. I don't mean you particularly, it's just a general comment on the rest of the fan base. Schroeder looks solid, he plays an intelligent pro game and deserves the trust of the coach with his play so far.

I just don't see anything to get all excited about. Not like Kassian, for example.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Virtanev
+

I said Schroeder would be better than Hodgson, when we had both players, and I still believe he will be better. Can't believe he was available where we picked him I remember at the World Juniors the year of his draft year many penciled him into the top 5, great pick by Gillis. Schroeder needs to change his number though, 45 really doesn't look good on him.

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
He played the same way in the AHL though. I disagree about his vision. Like I said, his hands are very soft and he makes some nifty cross ice passes off the rush. But in all the games I've watched of him (not many, maybe a dozen) I've never seen him make a pass that truly impressed me as far as reading the play goes.

I have seen barely anything of Kadri, so I can't argue that point at all.

I just think Canucks fans are almost too easily impressed with young players at this point because we want to have our own young stars to fawn over like most every other NHL team has. I don't mean you particularly, it's just a general comment on the rest of the fan base. Schroeder looks solid, he plays an intelligent pro game and deserves the trust of the coach with his play so far.

I just don't see anything to get all excited about. Not like Kassian, for example.
Fair enough.

I'll semi-agree about the young player thing...it's true, we're dying for some young guns around here....the rest of the team has gotten pretty stale.

Two things that have me most excited about Schroeder is that he is ripping draws back clean against experienced NHL centers...even Malhotra doesn't win them as clean as JS has to start his career. Next, I'm excited that this skilled, offensive prospect is already trusted....that's exciting.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Hodgson is a 1st line center now

When was the vision, puck skills, and shot of Jordan Schroeder ever questioned? Don't believe they have, they just didn't come with the hype of young Cody.
I don't get the laughing? Because Buffalo is playing him like a first liner? I don't see what that has to do with my post, but OK.

Schroeder's offensive tools were not questioned until he got to the pro's and failed to produce the kind of numbers future top six forwards produce in the AHL. Mostly because that is the point where you need to start adjusting your expectations for a prospect.

When a player comes out of Juniors or NCAA they have potential. But when they are in their third pro season and not clearly the best player on the ice on a nightly basis, the odds of them ever being a good top six forward is between slim and nill.

I like Schroeder, he looks like he can help the Canucks this season.

Hey, I'd love to be wrong.