Notices

[OFFICIAL] - Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 06:26 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Ouch, Philly gets smashed 5-1 against the Lightning. Gotta wonder what's the matter with that team.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Ouch, Philly gets smashed 5-1 against the Lightning. Gotta wonder what's the matter with that team.
Defense.

I bet Bouwmeester looks more enticing to their fans now.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Losing Meszaros sucked. Losing Hartnell was the crusher. That guy means a lot more to that team than people understand.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Leighton was in net, I think that was a large part of it. He has terrible rebound control. Philly's defence and Bryz in particular have actually been pretty solid this year. Their forwards and injuries have been the problem. Briere is back now though so I'm sure they are going to pull it together. They have young players playing key roles and they need them to step it up, Giroux can't do it all on his own.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:48 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Buffalo fans complain when their team doesn't fight when someone takes a shot at their players and yet are surprised when they get the instigator when their player skates half way across the ice to fight .

Old
01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Buffalo fans complain when their team doesn't fight when someone takes a shot at their players and yet are surprised when they get the instigator when their player skates half way across the ice to fight .

In other news, Pk. Subban was resigned to a two-year deal with the Canadiens.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

In other news, Pk. Subban was resigned to a two-year deal with the Canadiens.
I can't believe how cheap he was resigned for what a steal, his teammates didn't sound that excited to have him back.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:28 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
I can't believe how cheap he was resigned for what a steal, his teammates didn't sound that excited to have him back.
Well, his 2nd year will be 3.85mil (somewhere around there), which is a fair price for him IMO. That last year could lead him to getting a big deal.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Well, his 2nd year will be 3.85mil (somewhere around there), which is a fair price for him IMO. That last year could lead him to getting a big deal.
Right now he is worth 4+ million next year he could be worth 5+ million when his contract ends he will be asking for Doughty money I think Montreal made a big mistake playing hard ball with him.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Right now he is worth 4+ million next year he could be worth 5+ million when his contract ends he will be asking for Doughty money I think Montreal made a big mistake playing hard ball with him.
I agree. 2 years from now Subban will be a UFA under 25 backpacking a club's blueline. That's Oprah money right there

Old
01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I agree. 2 years from now Subban will be a UFA under 25 backpacking a club's blueline. That's Oprah money right there
Subban will still be an RFA in a year and a half.

I'm not sure what Bergevin was thinking on this one either. A longterm deal might have seen Subban overpaid in years one or two, but by the end of it, it'd most likely be thought of as a bargain, which would also coincide with a Habs team looking to compete for the cup. And on top of that, the hardline stance could alienate Subban to a level where in the next round of negotiations, he refuses to give any sort of home town discount. And with cap circumvention contracts no longer allowed, Subban's next cap hit, assuming he pans out, could be in the same league as Doughty's.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:40 AM
TheHudlinator

Philly is now 14.6% into their season and with the project playoff cut off at 55 points they have 7% needed. Have to wonder if this keeps up if Homer gets fired in the off season or if he makes a real desperate move to try and save the season.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Philly is now 14.6% into their season and with the project playoff cut off at 55 points they have 7% needed. Have to wonder if this keeps up if Homer gets fired in the off season or if he makes a real desperate move to try and save the season.
Personally I hope for desperation and I hope the Flames are able to scratch that itch.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Depends on how desperate Snider is to win now. Back in 06/07, they fired Hitchcock midway through the season, traded Forsberg at the deadline, moved Clarke to a different management position in the off season (or just fired him) and then went on a spending spree in free agency. So, no panic moves really back then.

Their transition game is suffering at the moment with Meszaros out. Perhaps offer Feaster should offer Butler or Smith for Eric Wellwood or Blake Kessel.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Pheonix moving becomes 1 step closer tonight at midnight

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414913

Old
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Pheonix moving becomes 1 step closer tonight at midnight

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414913
Holy ****, Bettman needs to eat his pride and move them already

Old
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Holy ****, Bettman needs to eat his pride and move them already
I agree but right now there isn't really a location ready.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
I agree but right now there isn't really a location ready.
Except there are. Here are places I think would sell more than 10,000 tickets / night:

Sprint Centre (Kansas City) could use another tenant.

Key Arena (Seattle) could probably host a hockey team until the new arena is built.

Quebecor Arena should be ready in 2015 (Quebec City) and Colisée Pepsi would do for the meantime.

Hell, even Copps Coliseum in Hamilton would do.

What is needed is a buyer.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:58 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Except there are. Here are places I think would sell more than 10,000 tickets / night:

Sprint Centre (Kansas City) could use another tenant.

Key Arena (Seattle) could probably host a hockey team until the new arena is built.

Quebecor Arena should be ready in 2015 (Quebec City) and Colisée Pepsi would do for the meantime.

Hell, even Copps Coliseum in Hamilton would do.

What is needed is a buyer.
Key Arena isn't that great, and I don't believe hockey would do that well in Kansas City. Both are stop gaps at best, there isn't a real nhl stadium that is ready right now which is why I think the NHL is dragging its feet to get the Coyotes out.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Key Arena isn't that great, and I don't believe hockey would do that well in Kansas City. Both are stop gaps at best, there isn't a real nhl stadium that is ready right now which is why I think the NHL is dragging its feet to get the Coyotes out.
Kansas City sold 17,000 tickets to a preseason game. Even if they averaged out at half of that, that's still nearly three times as good as what Phoenix is doing now.

Quebec & Seattle will both have "proper" NHL arenas (box seating etc) within three years. QC would likely sell out immediately and have a similar welcoming as the Jets by their fans, but I admittedly have no idea what kind of reception the NHL would get in Seattle.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if an investment group bought the 'Yotes, and moved them to Markham (playing in Hamilton for a few years during arena construction). A 2nd Toronto area team would almost be a license to print money.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Kansas City sold 17,000 tickets to a preseason game. Even if they averaged out at half of that, that's still nearly three times as good as what Phoenix is doing now.

Quebec & Seattle will both have "proper" NHL arenas (box seating etc) within three years. QC would likely sell out immediately and have a similar welcoming as the Jets by their fans, but I admittedly have no idea what kind of reception the NHL would get in Seattle.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if an investment group bought the 'Yotes, and moved them to Markham (playing in Hamilton for a few years during arena construction). A 2nd Toronto area team would almost be a license to print money.
Phoenix averaged 12500 last year (****** but not 8500 ******) also like I said they don't have areans yet QC is a few years away once it is ready I think the nhl puts a team there ASAP but until then no matter where they move the areana is either too small or not a long term solution.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Didn't Phoenix just have a game where 3000 people showed up?

Regardless - in a gate driven league, consistently selling 16000 higher priced tickets (small size arenas with bigger arenas coming) will always be better than maybe averaging 12,000 (at a significantly lower price).

If the NHL was dragging its feet in this instance, it was (IMO) to reduce the overall revenues of the league going into the last CBA bargaining.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

Regardless - in a gate driven league, consistently selling 16000 higher priced tickets (small size arenas with bigger arenas coming) will always be better than maybe averaging 12,000 (at a significantly lower price).

If the NHL was dragging its feet in this instance, it was (IMO) to reduce the overall revenues of the league going into the last CBA bargaining.

I don't buy it that the league held onto Phoenix to get a better CBA, if Kansas city wanted a team they would have one I just don't see there being that big of demand for hockey there. Moving the team to an area that isn't suitable long term to try and make a little more money now is a ****** thing to do to the fans that are in that area just wait until QC is ready and move the team there.

The only market I can see as a possibility is Seattle as they are amaerican (but close to the boarder and could draw a large crowd) and they have a half decent areana but plans to build a new one but then when QC is ready there will be major pressure on teams like Florida and Dallas to move.

Forbes also thinks it will be Seattle http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...n-falls-apart/

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 01-31-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

As of right now, the Calgary Flames are the worst team in the league; standings wise.

Philly's D is atrocious.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:

Absolutely. They could now relocate, increase revenue while keeping costs down. A good business strategy if I've ever heard one.

It was only at the players and fans expense....

Closed Thread