HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

If you were Trotz..

Old
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
As bad as Smith has been, sticking him on a bottom line is NOT the answer. All that is going to do is hurt him more. Put him with good offensive players and let them feed off of each other.
I agree, but he's probably going to be playing with guys like Halischuk, Spaling, Hörnqvist and Yip. If he had his confidence going he would be able to succeed with those guys, but right now he's going to struggle much like the rest of the offense. I was only pointing out that putting Smith on the 4th line was an option, not the right option but an option nonetheless.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:04 PM
alexmanu

I you were to make that move then i'd like to see the lines be:

Wilson-Smith-Erat
Kostitsyn-Fisher-Hornqvist
Bourque-Legwand-Halischuk
Winchester-Gaustad-Spaling
Yip

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Shea Weber

I believe I called the top 6.

Just sayin.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Weber-Josi-Wilson
Erat-Rinne-Bourque
Ellis-Fisher-Yip
Smith-Mason-McG

Legwand-Clune
Klein-Hannan
Halischuk-Spaling

Gill
Gaustad

This line-up, at worst, would have scored as many goals as our real line-up last night.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 01-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

If I was Trotz ... I'd ask for better talent up front ... this team can't score on a Charlie Sheen employed "goddess"

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I know putting Spaling with Goose only made Spaling worse....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

The vast majority of our forwards are 2nd line material at the most, and not necessarily worse than 3rd line material. The only guy on our team who should be a first liner is Erat. When you have so many guys with the same level of talent, you never know who should play where or with who because you're just throwing pieces together and hoping they work. You could mix Spaling, Smith, SK, Fisher, Wilson, Yip, Bourque and Legwand together any way you want and get similar results much of the time. There's only so many spots open for so many players. Some of our guys will be on lines with players worse than them and some will be on lines with players better than them.

And why is Clune still playing?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:36 PM
deanwormer

Clune's still playing because he's effective?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

If I were Trotz Id ask Poile to obtain some offensive talent.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
When does everybody think Blum will get a chance? We need a change up soon.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Honestly, I vote for trying Ellis at wing and playing Blum in his spot on d

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Clune is playing to justify the price of his gamer at Meigray .... it's the ONLY reason I can think of. He does eat a few minutes and hasn't handled the puck like as much of a live grenade as Smith ... but ... he needs to sit because he's contributed nothing.

Put Hornqvist on IR. Call up somebody from Milwaukee ... sit Clune ... insert AHL callup in top nine ... put Smith on the 4th line with McGrattan and Spaling/Gaustad ... see what happens. Limit Smith's time and situations ... let him remember how to handle the puck and work his way back up the lines.

Erat/Fisher/Wilson
SK/Legwand/Callup or Bourque
Yip/Spals or Goose/Callup or Bourque
Smith/Spals or Goose/McGrattan

Could run seven d-men as well with Smith and Goose/Spals as the 4th line with a double shifted Wilson or Erat.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Honestly, I vote for trying Ellis at wing and playing Blum in his spot on d
I was just talking to someone about this. Cant hurt to try it. At all.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Trotz mentioned that they are considering recalling someone from Milwaukee and mentioned Mueller, Watson, and Beck as possibilities to Cooper today at the Tennessean.

Winchester is still a free agent. I'd really like to see him signed and called up to take Clune's spot, the guys mentioned above would be better replacements for Hornqvist's production.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Trotz mentioned that they are considering recalling someone from Milwaukee and mentioned Mueller, Watson, and Beck as possibilities to Cooper today at the Tennessean.

Winchester is still a free agent. I'd really like to see him signed and called up to take Clune's spot, the guys mentioned above would be better replacements for Hornqvist's production.
They need somebody up. Smith is struggling too much for the top nine ... Clune is demonstrating why he was on waivers ... Yip is overperforming for his talent level right now ... we need somebody for Hornqvist's spot and the ability to sit both Clune and Smith for a game or two.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

I really don't understand why they haven't already signed Winchester and waived Clune. Hopefully very soon.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
They need somebody up. Smith is struggling too much for the top nine ... Clune is demonstrating why he was on waivers ... Yip is overperforming for his talent level right now ... we need somebody for Hornqvist's spot and the ability to sit both Clune and Smith for a game or two.
we need a lot more than that.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
we need a lot more than that.
That gets said every year, only to have the team pull its collective head from its colon and start playing decent, if not actually pretty good, hockey.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
That gets said every year, only to have the team pull its collective head from its colon and start playing decent, if not actually pretty good, hockey.
i think the shortened season is hurting us alot. we are a team that always fares well cause we battle games 1 through 82 .. right now, we just aren't playing as a team. no pre-season hurt us alot. i simply say to you the team with the most skills are doing best right now. we are just very handicapped in the talent department. san jose, chicago, st louis, tampa bay, boston, edmonton... alot of teams with skill are doing good right now. we are alot more than a call up or winchester away.. even when hornqvist was in the lineup, we were ways away from being a contender. folks forget, even last year when we were "pretty good" .. we were nowhere near a stanley cup. best case scenario, we sneak into the playoffs.. which may be worse than not making the playoffs.. i want to draft high. i want a gamebreaking forward. even if we suck, ill still be a fan cheering at the games.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
roseyc

Quote:
i think the shortened season is hurting us alot. we are a team that always fares well cause we battle games 1 through 82 .. right now, we just aren't playing as a team. no pre-season hurt us alot. i simply say to you the team with the most skills are doing best right now. we are just very handicapped in the talent department. san jose, chicago, st louis, tampa bay, boston, edmonton... alot of teams with skill are doing good right now. we are alot more than a call up or winchester away.. even when hornqvist was in the lineup, we were ways away from being a contender. folks forget, even last year when we were "pretty good" .. we were nowhere near a stanley cup. best case scenario, we sneak into the playoffs.. which may be worse than not making the playoffs.. i want to draft high. i want a gamebreaking forward. even if we suck, ill still be a fan cheering at the games.
I completely agree with you. We just don't have the talent to sniff the Stanley Cup Finals. But your plan won't happen with Trotz as the coach because he doesn't how to coach offense. He's a diehard defensive coach.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. We got the worst possible matchup in Phoenix and lost after two of our best players went out and partied, coupled with the fact that a journeyman goaltender who isn't that good, ripped up the first two rounds out of nowhere. If Chicago beats Phoenix in the first round I fully believe we have a great chance to beat them in the 2nd round. I mean, we did destroy Detroit in 5 games after all.

Also, making the playoffs are always better than not making it. How many Kings fans probably said their season was a wash and they might as well just go for the draft? On trade deadline day we played the Kings and beat them. I was in LA watching the game with my friend who is a huge Kings fan. We went up 2-0 and his exact words were "Good lord we suck". It was the end of February and the Kings couldn't find a goal if it was handed to them. They had horrible offensive problems, in fact they were 29th in the league in goals per game last season. Sneak in the playoffs as an 8 seed and boom....Cup champs. It's never better to miss the playoffs.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:25 AM
NoNecksCurse

that was a one in a million for that playoffs. you make good points. but there is a big difference in us as an #8 seed and that LA team its called talent... last year was our year to do something special. i dont fall for all that mike smith hype ********.. we should have beat the yotes.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
that was a one in a million for that playoffs. you make good points. but there is a big difference in us as an #8 seed and that LA team its called talent... last year was our year to do something special. i dont fall for all that mike smith hype ********.. we should have beat the yotes.
We should've beat the Yotes but there's no denying that Smith was the reason they won that series. I think your look on last year's playoffs is a bit negative. We've all seen plenty of seasons where we "make the playoffs" but don't really have a shot.....I don't think last season was like that.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:22 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
We should've beat the Yotes but there's no denying that Smith was the reason they won that series. I think your look on last year's playoffs is a bit negative. We've all seen plenty of seasons where we "make the playoffs" but don't really have a shot.....I don't think last season was like that.
we had an awesome shot to get to the WCF. after that, eh doubtful but we had a shot. ive said the whole time last year was our year just because alot of the big "heavies" were out already. detroit, chicago, vancouver, san jose, etc

Old
01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
MrHenley

Spaling Wilson Erat
SK Fisher Smith
Bourque Legwand Latta
Mueller Gaustad Yip

Weber Josi
Blum Klein
Ellis Hannan