HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

Old
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
The comments here are flat out idiotic.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
theJUMPER

Talbot had a grip on Cally's arm, fell backwards on the ice while still having a grip on Cally's arm.

I don't get how anybody can think he intentionally tried to hurt him.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
It's not questionable at all, IMO. Talbot did nothing wrong.
It really isn't and Talbot really didn't. Just watched it again on the post game with Maloney. Talbot had Callahan's left shoulder during the scrum. He had a better grip on cally than callahan did on talbot's arm/shoulder. And because of that, when Talbot lost his balance in the corner and was going down he pulled on Cally's left shoulder/arm. Talbot even signaled to the rangers bench afterwards. Just silly some people think it was intent to injure.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vitto79

gonna say Day to Day since everyone is flipping out

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

We need a qualified medical opinion.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
We need a qualified medical opinion.

That was my favorite commercial as a kid

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

Going off these posts seems like Cally is in serious trouble.

I'm gonna go with Tommy John Surgery we will see him October 2014.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
It was a fight, guys tug and pull on each other. It didn't look intentional at all.
meh i guess it's a matter of opinion. i personally like the guy-- at first i thought it was just a punch, but re-watching changed my mind. matter of opinion though i guess. i don't think talbot went out there looking to hurt cally (but if i'm not mistaken, didn't they have a few encounters last game?), but i think he knew what he was doing. oh well, hopefully it's just day-to-day, but this could be anywhere from a few weeks to a season-ender. best of luck to cally

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Cally has been playing with some kind of injury already. He has not been the same since the last 2 rounds of the play offs. I have not seen him finish one check yet this season.

I heard rumors of a broken hand last year, I'm not sure what is wrong with him, but something is wrong, besides the shoulder.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Dorado*

Looked like an MMA arm bar and resulting dislocation

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave35 View Post
This is not accurate. Its not a 100% certainty.

A dislocation will often lead to laxity of the shoulder.. Even without tearing. This means recurrence of injury and dislocation in the future which can certainly lead to labrum injury down the line.

Again, let's not jump off the bridge yet.
The rare situation that the labrum does not tear to any extent is when it slides out and right back into the socket without being a complete dislocation. Didn't look like thats what happened.

Look, I hate to be the negative guy here, but if it's a shoulder dislocation, he's going to need surgery either way considering he is an NHL hockey player, and a very physical one at that.

On a positive note, I play very competitive Jr hockey and I have had no problems at all since the surgery. I wouldnt say this is the career ending injury some are making it out to be. IF it is a dislocation and he needs surgery; 5 months is the typical recovery time. Just going from personal experience.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Talbot was jamming away at Lundqvist. Cally pulled him off. Talbot threw punches. He defended himself. Pretty simple. Not sure what some of you expect here. Jeez.
Absolutely. I don't know what to expect with some around here. You are in a close game and an opposing player is absolutely pitch forking your franchise goalie.

You pull em out by the scruff of the neck and deal with whatever happens next. I was more pissed with the linesman inbetween them trying to obstruct. If he wasn't there this all might not of happened. Oh well, it's hockey.

If Cally didn't do anything there, you'd have the other part of the board pissed that we're push overs and don't protect ourselves or teammates.(like in the past)

Talbot got a good hold in prep for a quick fight - Cally moved awkward with a 180 pound anchor locking his arm and the shoulder popped. Most scrappers will clamp onto you and give you a few good jolts to hopefully put you off balance and them a slight advantage before they start swinging.

I really don't think this was anything deliberate on Talbot's part, it's hockey.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
Cally has been playing with some kind of injury already. He has not been the same since the last 2 rounds of the play offs. I have not seen him finish one check yet this season.

I heard rumors of a broken hand last year, I'm not sure what is wrong with him, but something is wrong, besides the shoulder.
i think it's just mental. he took a practice or two off around the start of the playoffs last season for some personal issues. i don't know if we ever found out details on that, but since a week or two before that he seemed off.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Fataldogg

Hopefully it wasn't anything more than a sublaxation of the shoulder which puts him out of action for a few weeks (the way he fell and held his shoulder made it look like a certain possibility). That said, IF that happened, you'd have to hope he didn't tear anything during the sublax (which would be rare).

That said, shoulder injuries are some of the toughest injuries for athletes to return from. I'm really hoping it's something insignificant. We can't afford to lose our captain for a large portion of the season.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 PM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by li97 View Post
The rare situation that the labrum does not tear to any extent is when it slides out and right back into the socket without being a complete dislocation. Didn't look like thats what happened.

Look, I hate to be the negative guy here, but if it's a shoulder dislocation, he's going to need surgery either way considering he is an NHL hockey player, and a very physical one at that.

On a positive note, I play very competitive Jr hockey and I have had no problems at all since the surgery. I wouldnt say this is the career ending injury some are making it out to be. Just going from personal experience.
I understand your perspective completely. I'm a physical therapist so I'm going off of my medical knowledge and history of patients with this injury. Of course my clients are not professional athletes so the standard is different. Each one of these injuries varies because of inherent laxity of each person's shoulder, angle of impact, and ultimately end goals for the patient.

Being a pro athlete, they will likely address this via surgery at some point.. Even if only to clean up frayed edges via arthroscopic procedure (because pros have the luxury of obtaining perfect results). For the time being, let's hope for a sling for 1-2 weeks and a return to action with minimal complications.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Are some people actually blaming Talbot?
He grabbed him by his arm and ripped him down. If not malicious it was at the very least careless.

Not sure when armbar takedowns become kosher in hockey fights.

01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

if callahan broke his hand punching talbot in the helmet would it be talbots fault for moving his head? people saying its talbots fault are rediculous, callahan decided to fight him and got hurt its his own dumbass fault for thinking he needed to fight him up 2-0 clearly outplaying the opponent, facewash him and pull him away from hank, if he wants to throw punches goat him into a penalty, if not fight him and face the consequences as he and this team are right now.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Rust Heisenberg

I watched the game. For those of you who didn't see it, this is probably the most accurate description you'll get.

Talbot started jabbing at Hank's pads. Callahan grabbed Talbot and pulled him away. The MSG camera's stayed on Hank while Sam and Joe got excited about the scrum Cally and Talbot were having. The camera's then switched to Callahan and Talbot. Talbot had Callahan's arm in a firm grip, then pulled a crazy MMA leg somersault COMPLETELY ripping off Callahans arm. Lazer's were coming out of his eyes and as he was skating away flames shot out of mouth. The crowd in MSG was in pandemonium. People were ripping their hair out. Women were sobbing. Children were painting their faces in a weird tribal manner and monkey jumping on those in front of them. Some possessed demonic girl kept shrieking afterwards, completely overwhelming all the crowd noises caught by MSG microphones. She kept this up for the remainder of the game.

My personal diagnosis (i'm a registered M.D): day-to-day

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
ltsthinaz

The way his shoulder was hanging, I suspect if it is a shoulder it is a Grade III separation, which will likely require surgery. With the bulky hockey sweater, no one can be definitive until you take off the jersey and examine. The pain issue is not relevant to how severe the injury is - there is a nerve plexus in the area, and the pain comes from the stretching and traction on the nerve, not from the shoulder. I have personally fixed shoulder dislocations, they are very painful from the weight of the shoulder on the nerve, the pain goes away immediately as soon as the bone is back in the socket, but if it is a Grade III, he will likely miss most if not all of the regular season due to the short length.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
i think it's just mental. he took a practice or two off around the start of the playoffs last season for some personal issues. i don't know if we ever found out details on that, but since a week or two before that he seemed off.
Having a kid can be stressful, and he plays very hard, blocks shots, I know it must be very difficult, but I can't see how him completely not playing like himself can be anything other than physical.

Maybe the guy is just burnt out and tired of being hurt. Idk. It's not the Cally from last season. I watch him every time he is on the ice just waiting for a nice clean check. He does not finish his checks at all. He hasn't done it once yet.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I watched the game. For those of you who didn't see it, this is probably the most accurate description you'll get.

Talbot started jabbing at Hank's pads. Callahan grabbed Talbot and pulled him away. The MSG camera's stayed on Hank while Sam and Joe got excited about the scrum Cally and Talbot were having. The camera's then switched to Callahan and Talbot. Talbot had Callahan's arm in a firm grip, then pulled a crazy MMA leg somersault COMPLETELY ripping off Callahans arm. Lazer's were coming out of his eyes and as he was skating away flames shot out of mouth. The crowd in MSG was in pandemonium. People were ripping their hair out. Women were sobbing. Children were painting their faces in a weird tribal manner and monkey jumping on those in front of them. Some possessed demonic girl kept shrieking afterwards, completely overwhelming all the crowd noises caught by MSG microphones. She kept this up for the remainder of the game.

Post of the night!

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He grabbed him by his arm and ripped him down. If not malicious it was at the very least careless.

Not sure when armbar takedowns become kosher in hockey fights.
Honestly, I didn't notice anything off about the play. Just looked like an odd fall. I didn't see anything malicious. But I guess I'd have to see a replay of it.

Talbot isn't exactly a dirty player either where I'd be concerned about him intentionally trying to injury one of our guys. In fact, it even looked like Talbot stopped during the fight and asked if Cally was okay after he fell.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Honestly, I didn't notice anything off about the play. Just looked like an odd fall. I didn't see anything malicious. But I guess I'd have to see a replay of it.

Talbot isn't exactly a dirty player either where I'd be concerned about him intentionally trying to injury one of our guys. In fact, it even looked like Talbot stopped during the fight and asked if Cally was okay after he fell.
Even if it is just an odd fall, what kind of ****ing idiot do you have to be grab a guy's arm and hang onto like that in a situation where you're in skates and balance is lost very easily?

Malicious or not he got hurt because the dumbass was hanging on his arm. All the hockey fights I've seen I've never seen somebody grab onto the opponents arm with both hands like that. It was a stupid move and just asking for an injury.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave35 View Post
I understand your perspective completely. I'm a physical therapist so I'm going off of my medical knowledge and history of patients with this injury. Of course my clients are not professional athletes so the standard is different. Each one of these injuries varies because of inherent laxity of each person's shoulder, angle of impact, and ultimately end goals for the patient.

Being a pro athlete, they will likely address this via surgery at some point.. Even if only to clean up frayed edges via arthroscopic procedure (because pros have the luxury of obtaining perfect results). For the time being, let's hope for a sling for 1-2 weeks and a return to action with minimal complications.
I certainly agree and also hope he will be fine until at least the offseason with a few weeks of rest and aggressive PT.

Just would not be surprised at all to find out he has a major tear and needs surgery now.

To the people who have obviously not played high level hockey saying it is malicious, most people are taught to push and pull to try to throw the person theyre fighting off balance. I havent really looked at the replay of the scrum itself but at first glance it looks like it was intended to be nothing more than that.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post

I concur, hilarious

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote