HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Isles - YIKES

Old
01-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Pancakes

vCash: 500
I want to believe a trade is coming but who can the Pens even get at this juncture? Almost every team thinks they are in it. Nobody is selling I imagine.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

I just hope no Islanders fans come in with the 'Good game tonight guys, good luck!' BS.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

If they fire Bylsma and bring up Hynes, the same exact issues will be there.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I trust your opinion, but I can't see how we can exercise patience? That team came out w/ no desire. I'm 90% sure a hard-fighting AHL team would have beat them tonight because there was zero passion/grit in their game. It has NOTHING to do with a roster. Look at how Isles played with half a roster.

That was January 2009 bad. That was pathetic. I'm embarrassed that it even happened. It's all on the players for a terrifyingly bad game, but a coach is to manage that. Bylsma does nothing to do it, man. It's bad.
Here's my *only* problem, Cole: how do we line this opinion up with their first 5 periods of the season where everything from the gap discipline and the power play, to the energy and the effort looked completely different.

I think Bylsma is a big part of the problem, but I can't wrap my head around why they would have picked the 2nd period at home against the Maple Leafs to tune Bylsma out.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
od71

The only thing that consoles me is the fact that there are a lot of examples when after slow start team regroups, finds sources to improve. Like it was last season. Good team after slumps becomes better

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

1. can you trade for coaches in the NHL? if so, Hello Tippett and King.
2. can moneybags Burkle buyout Maurice's Metallurg contract?

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
+ Despres - he looked much better than in the first few games
+ Jeffrey - although I swear he still doesn't look as fast as he did before he blew out his knee.
+ TK - nice effort, but it is TK.

- Most of team, but Engo looked particularly bad.
- Lineup of too many +30 year olds with little skills to fall back on. Cooke, Kunitz, Dupuis, Orpik, Martin will take longer to consistently get their legs under them. It was glaringly evident when the Isles had the PP (I won't dignify the effort as a PK).
- Fans sounding like this team is really bad. They must not have seen the teams from the late 1970s, 1983, and the pre-Sid eras.

- I don't have the LIke Asian Women ad on the bottom of my screen.
What do u have against Asian women?

Weirdo

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
+ Despres: Great game.. sadly. Sadly because nobody else decided they wanted to join him. He played great all game long.

+ Vitale: Because we lovehis heart. He plays like Talbot played in 08.

- Dan Bylsma: Look.. I blame the players for not showing up, but it's teh coaching that has to get the message and keep it in the locker room. You can't cut everyone for **** efforts. You can cut a coach for not being able to manage it. Dan Bylsma has lost the locker room as much as MT did in 08. And TRUST me.. this roster is damn good and worthy of a Cup. I said it in 08-09 and I was right. I'm saying it again. We need a change in the coaching dept.

And don't blame Shero. He's done nothing but everything he could. He makes great trades and busts his ass to get UFAs who do not come.

Trust me.. this team is good enough. They just have no desire. No heart. No passion. No anything. They went out and didn't even bother wanting to win. They just wanted to go out and get it handed over. The reason we won in 09 was because of the most unreal passion to get what was taken from them. They felt their hearts break losing the Cup and they went out every night to die to get it back when Bylsma took over. They bought in and went full 200%.

Goodbye - Bylsma. You are MT all over again. It's the players fault too, but lord knows we can't cut everyone.
C'mon my mother would go after Parise and Suter. Was that really the only plan this summer? If he can only go after the stars to make this a better team he better start up an HF profile.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
I just hope no Islanders fans come in with the 'Good game tonight guys, good luck!' BS.
i guarantee at least one Isles fan will come in and stir **** up, whether it's with "LOLGUINS" or with what you mentioned.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
- Orpik and Kunitz will be traded soon after to send a message to the team. Shero is not going to fire two coaches whose players quit on them, and not "fire" some players too. Important players. This team needs a chemistry change. There is no leadership behind the bench or on it and I include Sid in that statement. The only player out there (and maybe it's actually a good thing) who seems pissed is Geno.
I agree.

I would def trade some of the bigger names. You can't just trade some prospect. Shake the team up.

Kovifan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The last few years have been frustrating. No division titles to get a higher seed, and no conference final appearances. I'm tired of waiting. He either does it this year or he's gone at the VERY LATEST. If they start sliding in the next couple weeks they will pull the trigger believe me.
Oh, they're going to slide. There will be some ups and downs, like four years ago, but the general trend line will be gone. Anyone who's being honest would say 'I've seen this **** before, not just with the Pens but with any team who's coach's time was rapidly coming to an end'.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Well, there's another minus.

No urgency or anger on Sid's part in his post-game comments.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Final8758

I just hope Mario goes to Shero and tells him that either him or Bylsma is gone and its his choice.

Final8758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
And for player discussion - Dustin Jeffrey is not an NHL player. He has an NHL mind, but zero NHL attributes. He's not strong enough to be slow. He's slow and doesn't have NHL speed. He's got a very average shot release. His hockey mind is that of a top hockey player.... but that's it.
Apart from release, a lot of that could be said about Moulson. Sort of hesitant to give up on players with great brains.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
What do u have against Asian women?

Weirdo
Nothing. That's why I gave the lack of an ad a "-"

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The last few years have been frustrating. No division titles to get a higher seed, and no conference final appearances. I'm tired of waiting. He either does it this year or he's gone at the VERY LATEST. If they start sliding in the next couple weeks they will pull the trigger believe me.
The last few playoffs have been frustrating, and I think there were legitimate reasons for the losses outside of coaching in '10 and '11.

The last few years under DB have featured a lot of impressive individual and team play too.

Quote:
I trust your opinion, but I can't see how we can exercise patience? That team came out w/ no desire. I'm 90% sure a hard-fighting AHL team would have beat them tonight because there was zero passion/grit in their game. It has NOTHING to do with a roster. Look at how Isles played with half a roster.

That was January 2009 bad. That was pathetic. I'm embarrassed that it even happened. It's all on the players for a terrifyingly bad game, but a coach is to manage that. Bylsma does nothing to do it, man. It's bad.
The team was **** tonight, no doubt. But again, the circumstances behind the beginning of this season haven't been seen since '95. I don't think it's possible to get a representative view of the team at this point of the season. By all accounts Ryan Suter has been garbage so far this year...like I said, it's early.

Let's give it a month. These are proud players who have always - unlike with MT - have been very vocal in their support of both the coach and the system.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I am. People ***** and complain about not having good defensive defensemen, yet when we actually have those players and are ready to play, they say they shouldn't get a shot because they have no experience.

Well they have no experience, because our management staff (GM & coach) are too afraid to give them a real chance.

Lovejoy sucks and has sucked WHEN IT MATTERED for 2+ seasons now. Why are we keeping this guy?
It's also another downfall of the "draft every Dman possible" approach. There are just not enough spots to get them time, which leads to Shero losing good guys for free.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Powerplay sucks year after year because the personnel sucks year after year. Almost every other team in the league has at least a few skilled lefthanded and righthanded wingers in addition to a few playmakers and at least one or two defenseman that can reasonably quarterback a powerplay. The Penguins have Crosby and Malkin, who both play pretty much the same role in the powerplay and it just confuses things when they're both out there and Neal and that's pretty much it. Letang is terrible on the powerplay because his offensive instincts suck despite his great offensive skills, and there are no other wingers or defensemen that lack the skill or poise with the puck to make good players. Bennett, Despres and Niskanen may develop into good powerplay players, but they're not going to be solving our problems any time soon.
I agree but I think you need to add no net front presence on this team either or none that we're willing to put out on the first unit. Almost every other team has big player who has the strength and decent hands to screen the goalie and not get easily shoved out of the way when a rebound does occur. We are a perimeter team. The only player that seems good enough to get in and bang around and pot some goals in close is Crosby and we don't want him going in there getting smashed too often.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

+Despres. Only player who bothered to show up tonight.

-Effort. ******* embarassing.

-Fleury. I know it wouldn't have mattered. But it's really getting old. I love the guy. I root for the guy so much. He can win a cup, he has proven that. But I have zero confidence in him and he looks like **** on goals that should be easy saves.

-Bylsma. Again, love the guy. Love for what he has done for this team. But it's not working anymore.

-Shero. Get off your *** and do something about this embarssment. We have THREE SKILLED forwards and NINE mother ******* grinders. ALL OF OUR GOALS come from the god damn same THREE players. We have all these wonderful defensive prospects, a 1st rounder. Do SOMETHING so Sid and Geno, you know YOUR BEST PLAYERS, have somebody to ******* pass to.

-Kunitz. Speaking of which, you SUCK. You're slow, you have no hands, no offensive creativity. When your contract is up, SEE YA. Overhyped third liner/2nd wheel getting to play with the best player in the world.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Anyone else notice when they interviewed the Islanders' coach about playing behind the net that he made sure to mention the importance of playing "East/West hockey?"

Rocket of Russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Didn't even read any comments; I'm calling it right now (bold prediction time):

+ Bylsma will not be coaching this team (nor his disciples) a month from now.

- Orpik and Kunitz will be traded soon after to send a message to the team. Shero is not going to fire two coaches whose players quit on them, and not "fire" some players too. Important players. This team needs a chemistry change. There is no leadership behind the bench or on it and I include Sid in that statement. The only player out there (and maybe it's actually a good thing) who seems pissed is Geno. At this point Orpik should be stripped of his A even if he's not traded.

+ Maybe if we're lucky a great winger will be the return or a great D.

This team absolutely sand-bagged that game. That was not "trying hard but no results". That was dog ****.

Geno and Neal had a few hard skating shifts each and that's it, Sid had none.
Despres was good all things considered; I noticed him right away making some good plays.

Everyone else on this team deserves to hang their heads for a week. That was the worst I've seen since Therrien's last days. ****ing atrocious.
That's exactly how it happened when Therrien was canned. Coach goes first, then comes the personnel moves.

And, I don't think Geno's pissed as much as he's just disgusted (actually, Brian Engblom used that word on the NBC telecast). He knows it's bull****. Sid knows it's bull****. Over the last 15 games, they've tried to play through it, tried to do more to compensate and in the process have done less. But, with the exception of a shift here or there, they're just going through the motions.

They're not going to tell Shero to fire Bylsma, but their actions speak as loudly as words right now.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Well, there's another minus.

No urgency or anger on Sid's part in his post-game comments.
Consistant with the leadership he showed during the playoffs last year.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Yeah, looking at the superstars of this team, you are getting the impression that they are playing against Bylsma. Sorry, but have you looked at Crosby, Malkin and Letang lately? When was the last tiem all of them showed up at the same game? When your teams three stars of them game are Jeffrey, Despres and Dupuis and you can`t actually **** and moan about Lovejoy and still have a case, it is bad. I like Bylsma, but watching the games, I don`t think the teams still does.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

+ Jeffrey, he'll earn that spot
+ Despres not perfect but solid.

- Speed kills if you're are not the one using it.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
And for player discussion - Dustin Jeffrey is not an NHL player. He has an NHL mind, but zero NHL attributes. He's not strong enough to be slow. He's slow and doesn't have NHL speed. He's got a very average shot release. His hockey mind is that of a top hockey player.... but that's it.
I'd be leery of judging a player's ability based on tonight's game. Almost to a man, they slacked off IMO. They intentionally did not skate hard, made lazy passes, shot the puck too late or too slow, etc.

We have a 5 MINUTE PP... and I think during that time earned 1 SOG, maybe 2. Sorry. We could be playing the Bruins or Rangers out there with a much better D and G against us, and even with the **** PP configuration, get 5 or 6 SOG in 5 minutes. That's on a bad night. On a good night, 10 or 15.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote