HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 05:38 PM
  #176
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Easy. What's Greene's role? Could Hickey fill it? LA has a plethora of such great defensive talent to the point that if you don't fill a needed role they have no use for simply a generally sound depth defensemen nearing his closeout date.

What I am surprised by is no one was willing to offer a 6th rounder for him. That bothered me more.
Maybe they didn't even shop him thinking they were okay with Hickey in the AHL thinking they could sneak him through.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
  #177
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Easy. What's Greene's role? Could Hickey fill it? LA has a plethora of such great defensive talent to the point that if you don't fill a needed role they have no use for simply a generally sound depth defensemen nearing his closeout date.

What I am surprised by is no one was willing to offer a 6th rounder for him. That bothered me more.
Didn't have time to shop him. Every team knows that so many players are going on waivers just before the season that they can pick up somebody for nothing.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 PM
  #178
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Maybe they didn't even shop him thinking they were okay with Hickey in the AHL thinking they could sneak him through.
Are we overating this kid just because LA picked him at #4? Has anyone seen him play in the AHL the past few years? I'm not talking about just watching his stats. There has to be something there that coaches don't like.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
  #179
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Are we overating this kid just because LA picked him at #4? Has anyone seen him play in the AHL the past few years? I'm not talking about just watching his stats. There has to be something there that coaches don't like.
I've watched AHL games where he played, but I wasn't specifically watching him. All I can say is that I didn't notice (bad or good).

I'm sure part of his hype has to do with where he was drafted. But there is a chance that LA still liked him, they just thought they could get him through to the AHL.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
  #180
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Are we overating this kid just because LA picked him at #4? Has anyone seen him play in the AHL the past few years? I'm not talking about just watching his stats. There has to be something there that coaches don't like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I've watched AHL games where he played, but I wasn't specifically watching him. All I can say is that I didn't notice (bad or good).

I'm sure part of his hype has to do with where he was drafted. But there is a chance that LA still liked him, they just thought they could get him through to the AHL.
Don't forget that the Bridgeport head coach was the Manchester Assistant coach and saw Hickey everyday. He said in an interview that he was a great pick-up.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:07 AM
  #181
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,176
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Didn't have time to shop him. Every team knows that so many players are going on waivers just before the season that they can pick up somebody for nothing.
Could be. I have to wonder why he hasn't skated yet Finley has. Maybe there is an injury involved no one has divulged.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:22 AM
  #182
GusTheo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
If he is as smart and solid as everyone is saying, I feel like that's exactly what this defense needs. I'm not greedy, I don't need Drew Doughty, but I'll take a solid guy who plays responsible and battles.

If this team is gonna do anything it's gonna be because of a hot goalie and young guys who can score. If the defense is just average and holds its own, we've got a shot!

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:47 AM
  #183
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,393
vCash: 1300
Are we gonna get a look at Hckey tonight? Cause Finley's been unimpressive.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
  #184
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
I would have no issue looking at Hickey.

I also wonder if Snow has interest in Woywitka.

I know we have a roster issue if we were to add another player, but Woywitka has everything that we know Snow likes....

Big (6'3" and 227lbs)
Young'ish (29)
Former first rd. pk. (27th overall)

He has some experience as a vet and would be a bit of an upgrade over Finley and Hickey in my mind. And if Viz gets here....

Viz-Streit
Hamonic-A-Mac
Woywitka-Carkner

Strait, Martinek as the extras....

Problem is, one more player brings us to 24, and way too many d-men. So I am guessing it is unlikely —*but just wondering what everyone thinks about Woywitka and if they would want him.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:45 AM
  #185
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,998
vCash: 500
I don't think there's room for Woywitka without anyone else being waived. If I understand the rules correctly then neither of our recent pickups can be demoted or waived for 30 days, so somebod else would have to go

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
  #186
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,773
vCash: 500
Looks like Hickey is going to be sitting on his butt again tonight. In the GDT, there's Staple's tweet that it's the same lineup with Nabby in net.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
  #187
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Looks like Hickey is going to be sitting on his butt again tonight. In the GDT, there's Staple's tweet that it's the same lineup with Nabby in net.
He used the the word "likely" which to me means that its not decided yet. I hope they give Hickey the chance tonight.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
  #188
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'
 
CanseiDeSerBreakcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Looks like Hickey is going to be sitting on his butt again tonight. In the GDT, there's Staple's tweet that it's the same lineup with Nabby in net.
I'm hoping so as well. I may just stay up to see this one, and I wanna see Hickey - it's 6pm here all ready.

Unless something HUGE happens in the next 24 hours, I'll be cheering on the Isles from back in Austin, TX next week.

GO ISLANDERS!!!!!! (one exclamation point for each NYI goal.)

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:53 AM
  #189
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,415
vCash: 500
Kings fan


Any Updates on Hickey ? I am bummed out I don't get to watch him play anymore in Manchester.

He would have got a shot this year too, the Kings have a lot of Injuries on the D.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:33 AM
  #190
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Kings fan


Any Updates on Hickey ? I am bummed out I don't get to watch him play anymore in Manchester.

He would have got a shot this year too, the Kings have a lot of Injuries on the D.
We have no idea. We thought he'd be in for sure for the Leafs game. I have no idea why our coach keeps putting Finley on because Hickey should replace him. All I can think of is that the coach is giving every player a set amount of games to get a real good look at them before he decides to waive them or not. We won't get them back I don't think. Buffalo will most likely pick up Finley again for their farm system as they desperately need him back and Hickey would be gone for sure if put back on waivers. I figure Finley might get a good 10 or so game look or even up to a month of games before he gets scratched...at least that's what it looks like to me.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
  #191
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
We have no idea. We thought he'd be in for sure for the Leafs game. I have no idea why our coach keeps putting Finley on because Hickey should replace him. All I can think of is that the coach is giving every player a set amount of games to get a real good look at them before he decides to waive them or not. We won't get them back I don't think. Buffalo will most likely pick up Finley again for their farm system as they desperately need him back and Hickey would be gone for sure if put back on waivers. I figure Finley might get a good 10 or so game look or even up to a month of games before he gets scratched...at least that's what it looks like to me.
Finley should be put on waivers immediately. I would have no problem trading Hickey if the team refuses to play him. Whats the point of seeing what the kid can do if he cant find the ice.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:03 AM
  #192
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Hopefully he dresses against the Jets. Finley really just isn't mean for the NHL.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
  #193
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I don't think there's room for Woywitka without anyone else being waived. If I understand the rules correctly then neither of our recent pickups can be demoted or waived for 30 days, so somebod else would have to go
I think Strait's a better player.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
  #194
Metnut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
I predict that Hickey starts this Sunday night. Cap likely wanted to have some extra size going up against a very physical and large Bruins team on the 2nd leg of a back to back.

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
  #195
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,176
vCash: 250
Two games in and I have to say I am impressed. The kid came ready to play and I can only shake my head in confusion as to how the Islander organization could have played Finley as long as they did knowing what they had in Hickey waiting to play. I am not saying he is perfect, far from it with some of his choices and being limited by Carkner as his partner, but nothing unexpected for a rookie.

Thank you Dean Lombardi.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:38 PM
  #196
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Two games in and I have to say I am impressed. The kid came ready to play and I can only shake my head in confusion as to how the Islander organization could have played Finley as long as they did knowing what they had in Hickey waiting to play. I am not saying he is perfect, far from it with some of his choices and being limited by Carkner as his partner, but nothing unexpected for a rookie.

Thank you Dean Lombardi.
Finley was claimed first. Before they even knew Hickey would be available. Knew more about Hickey's game but wanted to see what Finley was about before they made any decisions. Gave him a few looks. Don't see why they would ever go back .Hickey looks great!

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
  #197
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Finley was claimed first. Before they even knew Hickey would be available. Knew more about Hickey's game but wanted to see what Finley was about before they made any decisions. Gave him a few looks. Don't see why they would ever go back .Hickey looks great!
Hickey has impressed for a kid that was basically a castaway in LA. Much like Moulson. I ca see him with some experience being nice second pair dman. He is quick and smart. Can't teach hockey smarts. You got them or you don't

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
  #198
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I have followed Hickeys career closely and if search through my threads you will find a ton of interviews with him and his coaches.

I know we hated losing him and that the Kings believed that he would have been playing with the team (hickey) had we been able to sneak him through waivers but it wasn't to be. We are overloaded with young depth on the blue line and unfortunately Hickey was the one we had to lose.

It was down to him or Jake Muzzin (both were in the same contract situation where they had to be signed to a one way deal or waived) and we picked Muzzin. JM is a bigger player who has more of an edge than Hickey but Hickey is the better overall player.

You guys got a very solid NHL ready pmd who has turned his game from being a one dimensional O minded pmd into a hybrid kid who uses his excellent skating and positional play to make up for any size he might be missing and is always a threat with the puck.

Give him a dozen games or so and I think you guys will be wanting to send a fruit basket to Dean Lombardi for passing Hickey along. Either way you should have more King fans following the Isles this year than last. First Moulson and now Hickey, we are becoming a real pipeline for the Isles.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
  #199
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 15,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have followed Hickeys career closely and if search through my threads you will find a ton of interviews with him and his coaches.

I know we hated losing him and that the Kings believed that he would have been playing with the team (hickey) had we been able to sneak him through waivers but it wasn't to be. We are overloaded with young depth on the blue line and unfortunately Hickey was the one we had to lose.

It was down to him or Jake Muzzin (both were in the same contract situation where they had to be signed to a one way deal or waived) and we picked Muzzin. JM is a bigger player who has more of an edge than Hickey but Hickey is the better overall player.

You guys got a very solid NHL ready pmd who has turned his game from being a one dimensional O minded pmd into a hybrid kid who uses his excellent skating and positional play to make up for any size he might be missing and is always a threat with the puck.

Give him a dozen games or so and I think you guys will be wanting to send a fruit basket to Dean Lombardi for passing Hickey along. Either way you should have more King fans following the Isles this year than last. First Moulson and now Hickey, we are becoming a real pipeline for the Isles.
thanks for the post....


Yeah Hickey looks like a very smart 2 way defender....Kid skates well and can make some nice plays with the puck...Also is very good positionally....I lie him lots thus far

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:59 PM
  #200
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,549
vCash: 500
Brian Strait, Hickey, Boyes, Keith Aucoin and even Carkner have all played very well for us and Snow should be credited.
Hickey has a little offense sprinkled with feisty play but not overly physical. I like that he is small in stature but smart and aggresive. Why did the NYI wait on Hickey and play Finley?
At this point we dont need Martinek either.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.