HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Easy. What's Greene's role? Could Hickey fill it? LA has a plethora of such great defensive talent to the point that if you don't fill a needed role they have no use for simply a generally sound depth defensemen nearing his closeout date.

What I am surprised by is no one was willing to offer a 6th rounder for him. That bothered me more.
Maybe they didn't even shop him thinking they were okay with Hickey in the AHL thinking they could sneak him through.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
original islander

Quote:
Easy. What's Greene's role? Could Hickey fill it? LA has a plethora of such great defensive talent to the point that if you don't fill a needed role they have no use for simply a generally sound depth defensemen nearing his closeout date.

What I am surprised by is no one was willing to offer a 6th rounder for him. That bothered me more.
Didn't have time to shop him. Every team knows that so many players are going on waivers just before the season that they can pick up somebody for nothing.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Maybe they didn't even shop him thinking they were okay with Hickey in the AHL thinking they could sneak him through.
Are we overating this kid just because LA picked him at #4? Has anyone seen him play in the AHL the past few years? I'm not talking about just watching his stats. There has to be something there that coaches don't like.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Are we overating this kid just because LA picked him at #4? Has anyone seen him play in the AHL the past few years? I'm not talking about just watching his stats. There has to be something there that coaches don't like.
I've watched AHL games where he played, but I wasn't specifically watching him. All I can say is that I didn't notice (bad or good).

I'm sure part of his hype has to do with where he was drafted. But there is a chance that LA still liked him, they just thought they could get him through to the AHL.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I've watched AHL games where he played, but I wasn't specifically watching him. All I can say is that I didn't notice (bad or good).

I'm sure part of his hype has to do with where he was drafted. But there is a chance that LA still liked him, they just thought they could get him through to the AHL.
Don't forget that the Bridgeport head coach was the Manchester Assistant coach and saw Hickey everyday. He said in an interview that he was a great pick-up.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:07 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Didn't have time to shop him. Every team knows that so many players are going on waivers just before the season that they can pick up somebody for nothing.
Could be. I have to wonder why he hasn't skated yet Finley has. Maybe there is an injury involved no one has divulged.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:22 AM
GusTheo

If he is as smart and solid as everyone is saying, I feel like that's exactly what this defense needs. I'm not greedy, I don't need Drew Doughty, but I'll take a solid guy who plays responsible and battles.

If this team is gonna do anything it's gonna be because of a hot goalie and young guys who can score. If the defense is just average and holds its own, we've got a shot!

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:47 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Are we gonna get a look at Hckey tonight? Cause Finley's been unimpressive.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I would have no issue looking at Hickey.

I also wonder if Snow has interest in Woywitka.

I know we have a roster issue if we were to add another player, but Woywitka has everything that we know Snow likes....

Big (6'3" and 227lbs)
Young'ish (29)
Former first rd. pk. (27th overall)

He has some experience as a vet and would be a bit of an upgrade over Finley and Hickey in my mind. And if Viz gets here....

Viz-Streit
Hamonic-A-Mac
Woywitka-Carkner

Strait, Martinek as the extras....

Problem is, one more player brings us to 24, and way too many d-men. So I am guessing it is unlikely —*but just wondering what everyone thinks about Woywitka and if they would want him.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:45 AM
IslesNorway

I don't think there's room for Woywitka without anyone else being waived. If I understand the rules correctly then neither of our recent pickups can be demoted or waived for 30 days, so somebod else would have to go

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Looks like Hickey is going to be sitting on his butt again tonight. In the GDT, there's Staple's tweet that it's the same lineup with Nabby in net.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Looks like Hickey is going to be sitting on his butt again tonight. In the GDT, there's Staple's tweet that it's the same lineup with Nabby in net.
He used the the word "likely" which to me means that its not decided yet. I hope they give Hickey the chance tonight.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'm hoping so as well. I may just stay up to see this one, and I wanna see Hickey - it's 6pm here all ready.

Unless something HUGE happens in the next 24 hours, I'll be cheering on the Isles from back in Austin, TX next week.

GO ISLANDERS!!!!!! (one exclamation point for each NYI goal.)

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:53 AM
damacles1156

Kings fan

Any Updates on Hickey ? I am bummed out I don't get to watch him play anymore in Manchester.

He would have got a shot this year too, the Kings have a lot of Injuries on the D.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:33 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Kings fan

Any Updates on Hickey ? I am bummed out I don't get to watch him play anymore in Manchester.

He would have got a shot this year too, the Kings have a lot of Injuries on the D.
We have no idea. We thought he'd be in for sure for the Leafs game. I have no idea why our coach keeps putting Finley on because Hickey should replace him. All I can think of is that the coach is giving every player a set amount of games to get a real good look at them before he decides to waive them or not. We won't get them back I don't think. Buffalo will most likely pick up Finley again for their farm system as they desperately need him back and Hickey would be gone for sure if put back on waivers. I figure Finley might get a good 10 or so game look or even up to a month of games before he gets scratched...at least that's what it looks like to me.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
We have no idea. We thought he'd be in for sure for the Leafs game. I have no idea why our coach keeps putting Finley on because Hickey should replace him. All I can think of is that the coach is giving every player a set amount of games to get a real good look at them before he decides to waive them or not. We won't get them back I don't think. Buffalo will most likely pick up Finley again for their farm system as they desperately need him back and Hickey would be gone for sure if put back on waivers. I figure Finley might get a good 10 or so game look or even up to a month of games before he gets scratched...at least that's what it looks like to me.
Finley should be put on waivers immediately. I would have no problem trading Hickey if the team refuses to play him. Whats the point of seeing what the kid can do if he cant find the ice.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Brunomics

Hopefully he dresses against the Jets. Finley really just isn't mean for the NHL.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I don't think there's room for Woywitka without anyone else being waived. If I understand the rules correctly then neither of our recent pickups can be demoted or waived for 30 days, so somebod else would have to go
I think Strait's a better player.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Metnut

I predict that Hickey starts this Sunday night. Cap likely wanted to have some extra size going up against a very physical and large Bruins team on the 2nd leg of a back to back.

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Two games in and I have to say I am impressed. The kid came ready to play and I can only shake my head in confusion as to how the Islander organization could have played Finley as long as they did knowing what they had in Hickey waiting to play. I am not saying he is perfect, far from it with some of his choices and being limited by Carkner as his partner, but nothing unexpected for a rookie.

Thank you Dean Lombardi.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:38 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Two games in and I have to say I am impressed. The kid came ready to play and I can only shake my head in confusion as to how the Islander organization could have played Finley as long as they did knowing what they had in Hickey waiting to play. I am not saying he is perfect, far from it with some of his choices and being limited by Carkner as his partner, but nothing unexpected for a rookie.

Thank you Dean Lombardi.
Finley was claimed first. Before they even knew Hickey would be available. Knew more about Hickey's game but wanted to see what Finley was about before they made any decisions. Gave him a few looks. Don't see why they would ever go back .Hickey looks great!

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Finley was claimed first. Before they even knew Hickey would be available. Knew more about Hickey's game but wanted to see what Finley was about before they made any decisions. Gave him a few looks. Don't see why they would ever go back .Hickey looks great!
Hickey has impressed for a kid that was basically a castaway in LA. Much like Moulson. I ca see him with some experience being nice second pair dman. He is quick and smart. Can't teach hockey smarts. You got them or you don't

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have followed Hickeys career closely and if search through my threads you will find a ton of interviews with him and his coaches.

I know we hated losing him and that the Kings believed that he would have been playing with the team (hickey) had we been able to sneak him through waivers but it wasn't to be. We are overloaded with young depth on the blue line and unfortunately Hickey was the one we had to lose.

It was down to him or Jake Muzzin (both were in the same contract situation where they had to be signed to a one way deal or waived) and we picked Muzzin. JM is a bigger player who has more of an edge than Hickey but Hickey is the better overall player.

You guys got a very solid NHL ready pmd who has turned his game from being a one dimensional O minded pmd into a hybrid kid who uses his excellent skating and positional play to make up for any size he might be missing and is always a threat with the puck.

Give him a dozen games or so and I think you guys will be wanting to send a fruit basket to Dean Lombardi for passing Hickey along. Either way you should have more King fans following the Isles this year than last. First Moulson and now Hickey, we are becoming a real pipeline for the Isles.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have followed Hickeys career closely and if search through my threads you will find a ton of interviews with him and his coaches.

I know we hated losing him and that the Kings believed that he would have been playing with the team (hickey) had we been able to sneak him through waivers but it wasn't to be. We are overloaded with young depth on the blue line and unfortunately Hickey was the one we had to lose.

It was down to him or Jake Muzzin (both were in the same contract situation where they had to be signed to a one way deal or waived) and we picked Muzzin. JM is a bigger player who has more of an edge than Hickey but Hickey is the better overall player.

You guys got a very solid NHL ready pmd who has turned his game from being a one dimensional O minded pmd into a hybrid kid who uses his excellent skating and positional play to make up for any size he might be missing and is always a threat with the puck.

Give him a dozen games or so and I think you guys will be wanting to send a fruit basket to Dean Lombardi for passing Hickey along. Either way you should have more King fans following the Isles this year than last. First Moulson and now Hickey, we are becoming a real pipeline for the Isles.
thanks for the post....

Yeah Hickey looks like a very smart 2 way defender....Kid skates well and can make some nice plays with the puck...Also is very good positionally....I lie him lots thus far

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:59 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Brian Strait, Hickey, Boyes, Keith Aucoin and even Carkner have all played very well for us and Snow should be credited.
Hickey has a little offense sprinkled with feisty play but not overly physical. I like that he is small in stature but smart and aggresive. Why did the NYI wait on Hickey and play Finley?
At this point we dont need Martinek either.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote