Notices

Too Much Poutine: Jets look flat in 4-3 loss to Habs

Old
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Not a bad showing for Postma. Didn't see much icetime, but he looked solid.
Glad to see #4 doing well

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 850
Terrible reffing ruined an otherwise competitive physical game. I'll give Montreal credit for their special teams but there should have been half as many penalties in that game.

I don't think the crowd had a clue what they were booing at times.

I really enjoyed Prust's diving penalty. It was the one time I had faith that the refs weren't actually trying to wreck the game.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Btw just like love there is no such thing like too much pouting!!

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Hansen Brother

Last year was long stretches of this mixed in with some good hockey. If this year can be long stretches of good hockey with a few games like this in between, that's progress. As long as we're headed in the right direction I'm good. Talk it over in the room after the game and forget about it. Onward and upward.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

The piss poor reffing aside, we really had no business winning the game.

So sloppy, tons of turnovers, blind passes everywhere.

Hope for a bettter performance in Miami and Tampa

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
pcanuck

If you don't shoot, you can't score. The lack of shots and finish lost us this one. 6 shots in the first,3 in the second ... we were lucky to be in the game. Overall, a C performance.

My game pucks - hard to find em' tonight,
1- Kane - most energy and some big hits.
2- Antropov - played strong, physical and pushed a few people around.
3- Stuart - a bright spot on D considering all the turnovers by the rest.

My sourpuss award goes to the refs. If they wanted to influence a game, they did it tonight. Some terrible calls both ways.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
Last year was long stretches of this mixed in with some good hockey. If this year can be long stretches of good hockey with a few games like this in between, that's progress. As long as we're headed in the right direction I'm good. Talk it over in the room after the game and forget about it. Onward and upward.
This is a great post. Even the best teams lay the occasional egg. If the Jets make a game like this the exception rather than the rule we will make the playoffs.

I know as a player when I have a bit of a layoff the first game back you sometimes don't have your legs. That second day on the ice you seem to really get them back.

Let's hope so for tomorrow.

PS I love Antropov.

JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
The fact that the Habs were throwing the body around when they are so much smaller speaks to how there was no effort. Especially when Prust ran Pav and Hainsey just taps him with his stick. Gotta get in his face man!
Smart play by Hainsey actually. Prust was going to get a penalty for that, there is no point in going after Prust at that point in the game (remember there were only like 8 mins to go with Jets 1 behind) and leaving that chance that the zebras might negate the man advantage. Good thinking by Hainsey.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ahplk

We need a laugh...can anyone gif up the zoomed in replay of Prust running into Toby's stick and grabbing his face with both hands?

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Terrible reffing ruined an otherwise competitive physical game. I'll give Montreal credit for their special teams but there should have been half as many penalties in that game.

I don't think the crowd had a clue what they were booing at times.

I really enjoyed Prust's diving penalty. It was the one time I had faith that the refs weren't actually trying to wreck the game.
The crowd booed anything that went against their team. I loved the part where Prust was surprised and in shock that he was sitting after that charter dive on Antropov's check.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tntkid

The game was really sloppy for both teams & all Montreal was doing was slap shots high on Pavelec from the blue line.

The refs completely took the hitting out of the game for the Jets with all the weak penalty calls.

It seemed like the Jets were afraid to hit because of this & played like they were handcuffed.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
ghost88*

I really hope we resign 'pov in the offseason.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
thejaf7

At least our fans are still louder and more passionate. Next time.

thejaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
tbcwpg

So many bad things about that game:

-Much of the team looked off. There were a few suspicions of sickness in the GDT, the performance means I'm inclined to think that might be an issue.
-Turnovers were awful.
-PK was bad. Montreal's PP isn't THAT great. Appears as though it'll be an issue again this year.
-Pavelec looked slow. Not a horrible game but nothing great. Moves very slowly coming out of the net or if he's out of position, which was often tonight.
-Mike Johnson is obviously still fond of the Habs. I know we complain about homer broadcasters, but he's the ultimate anti-homer.

The good:
-Jokinen looked pretty good. That's about it.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm disappointed by our effort in the game BUT
I don't expect the world from this D core while Bogosian is away
It's hard to play the Jets' game when the refs don't allow it (I don't think the refs were one sided, just terrible in the general sense but hurt the Jets more)

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
Here here.

I look at it this way, the Jets garbage performances in Montreal yielded 7-3 and 3-0 losses last year. This year, vs. what appears to be a much better Habs team, it yields a 4-3 loss that was tied going into the 3rd.

Looks like we're going to be seeing a pissed off Panthers team on Thursday.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I have talking about the horrible powerplay for a few games now. Something has to happen there. There is just no creativity or inspiration in that PP. Too many pucks bouncing off the sticks, Kane and Wheeler were the most guilty of that. Did Burmistrov get benched in the third after the penalty? I hope that was the case, else he was utterly invisible tonight in the third. Horrible horrible play in our zone, the boys took forever to get the puck out and when they did get it out to the neutral zone either tried to make a fancy rink wide pass or lost the battle along the board. There was no sustained pressure in the Montreal zone tonight. While Pavs played like crap we got lucky that Price had quite a crappy game too. That call which resulted in the 4th goal was horrible but we can't blame the game on reffing since we got our share of powerplays too.
I don't understand why one of Antropov or Wheeler aren't constantly screening the goalie. They're both big and would make excellent screens. Wheeler is supposed to be a power forward not a finesse player like he seems to act like on the PP.

Basic PP principles. Get someone in front of the net and shoot the f'ing puck! The Jets NEVER have enough traffic in front of the net to get any good garbage goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
[/B]

^this

The fact that their tough guy (Prust) gets totally caught diving on the Antro hit is ridiculous. Shades of Carcillo *shudder*
Prust is a capital D. Can't believe he got that call for the high stick. Antro totally deserved a penalty until I saw who he checked. Prust went down like a ton of bricks.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
So many bad things about that game:

-Much of the team looked off. There were a few suspicions of sickness in the GDT, the performance means I'm inclined to think that might be an issue.
-Turnovers were awful.
-PK was bad. Montreal's PP isn't THAT great. Appears as though it'll be an issue again this year.
-Pavelec looked slow. Not a horrible game but nothing great. Moves very slowly coming out of the net or if he's out of position, which was often tonight.
-Mike Johnson is obviously still fond of the Habs. I know we complain about homer broadcasters, but he's the ultimate anti-homer.

The good:
-Jokinen looked pretty good. That's about it.
Kane interview from Sunday he sounded kind of stuffed up. Hopefully it's not the flu that went around Winnipeg a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully I didn't get that!

And Montreal's PP has improved only because they actually have a PP QB. Markov's back and healthy. For how long, who knows.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:44 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Switch Pavs for Price and it's a Jets win

Why is Wellwood in the lineup?

Hainsy playing good hockey aside from his goal

Buff and Enstrom look tired

fourth line now stands out as the fourth line

Montreal crowd really influences refs

Kane took a beating

Nice to see Antro and Joki score

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
I don't understand why one of Antropov or Wheeler aren't constantly screening the goalie. They're both big and would make excellent screens. Wheeler is supposed to be a power forward not a finesse player like he seems to act like on the PP.

Basic PP principles. Get someone in front of the net and shoot the f'ing puck! The Jets NEVER have enough traffic in front of the net to get any good garbage goals.
Wheeler is of more use on the perimeter than acting as a screen, in my opinion.

Jets rarely run two men in front of the net on the PP, I think the rationale is that with Buff as the triggerman, they don't need to worry as much about screens and deflections.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Wheeler is of more use on the perimeter than acting as a screen, in my opinion.

Jets rarely run two men in front of the net on the PP, I think the rationale is that with Buff as the triggerman, they don't need to worry as much about screens and deflections.
But that's all the Jets do is work the perimeter. It's not working. Their PP is awful and they need to change it. And why is Ladd on the PP? Ladd is useless. What a waste of a C; he's barely shown up this year.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
wpgJetsfan

The Jets played a really good game tonight. The problem was Montreal's neutral zone trapping all night. They have that perfected and it was hard to break into the zone. They also played man on man or double coverage all night which made it tough to move the puck around.

The only drawback tonight was Pavs. He played horrible. All the shots that went in he had clear view and should've stopped them.

Then there was the refs. Horrible call that lead to the 4th goal. The Montreal player was rubbed out and his stick was still on the puck. Then the same exact type of play where Buff get's rubbed out and he doesn't even have the puck and no call. There was many no calls in that 3rd period against Montreal.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but even the linesmen were not doing their jobs. That third period offside calls were always so late in the Jets zone.

wpgJetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

This game came down to special teams and we lost.

Good to see Jokinen get his first goal as a Jet.

Oh well, move on to Florida.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
But that's all the Jets do is work the perimeter. It's not working. Their PP is awful and they need to change it. And why is Ladd on the PP? Ladd is useless. What a waste of a C; he's barely shown up this year.
The sad truth about Ladd is he really isn't very gifted, can't stick-handle, pass or take a pass, great release, gritty and good 3rd line player.IMO

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
JetsFan815

Also something else that confused me, why didn't anyone drop the gloves when Kane was getting all those big hits? You are supposed to stick up for your star player. Jets may as well play Peluso if Wright is going to see 4 mins of ice time.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote